The Final Verdict

Number 130727

“Good Morning.” He said with a smile.

Sungyeol woke, yawning continuously as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes continuously.

“Still tired?” Myungsoo asked, fixing his tie, staring lovingly at the other.

He nodded, “Still tired.” He mumbled.

“Did you have a good sleep?”

Sungyeol smiled shyly and nodded, “I did.”

“That’s good.”

“What’s the time, now?”

“It’s almost 8.”

“Hm? Isn’t the thing at 12?”

Myungsoo nodded, making the other instantly shoot up, “Am I late?” He muttered to himself.

He chuckled, staring at Sungyeol fumble with his clothes, “Relax,” He comforted, “We still have around 3 hours before we leave. I’ll help you.” He said, handing him a suit.

“Why do I have to wear this?”

“It’s like a uniform. To look presentable, I guess.”

Sungyeol nodded and took the outfit, “I’ve never worn something like this before.”

“Yeah, not many people have, actually. We normally don’t wear it around casually.”

“You wear it a lot though.” Sungyeol mentioned, “You look handsome in it.” He complimented, making Myungsoo look away, as he tried to supress the blush forming.

“Thanks.” He chuckled sheepishly.

~

“Is it okay?”

Myungsoo nodded, “You look stunning.”

He smiled, “Really?”

“Yeah, but then again, when aren’t you stunning?” He grinned.

“You look good too.” He replied happily.

He smiled, “Are you ready?”

Sungyeol’s smile faltered slightly, as he remembered what the event was about, “I think I’ll be okay.” He whispered, “You’ll be there right?”

“I will. Until the end, I’ll be right beside you.” He said.

~

Myungsoo sat beside Sungyeol in the car, watching him worriedly as he tried to calm himself with deep exhalations. He reached over and held onto his hand firmly, showing him support and comfort through his actions. Sungyeol looked up and smiled nervously.

“You’ll be fine.”

“I hope so.”

“If you don’t remember anything, then just say whatever you want, as long as it’s the truth.”

He nodded, “Nothing but the truth.” He murmured.

“I’m sorry you have to relive your moment like this.”

Sungyeol shook his head, “This past year had been the best thing that’s happened to me. If others could feel the way I felt, then I can do this.” He smiled.

“Are you ready?” A new voice interrupted, gaining their attention.

Myungsoo looked at Sungyeol, who gripped onto his hand tighter, “I’m ready.”

~

He looked around, seeing Myungsoo bow to the people at the front and greet them politely. His heart was beating erratically as he chewed his lower lip nervously.

He saw Hoya sitting not too far away from him, but no Dongwoo, which was strange since they were always together. He seemed so lonely by himself.

However, he noticed Dongwoo hidden in the corner, blending in with the rest of the audience, as though trying to stay hidden.

He saw Sunggyu seated beside Dongwoo, who were watching the entire event play out. His face was passive and stoic, but something had told him that he was as nervous as the rest of them.

Finally, he saw Woohyun, in a very professional uniform, not like his or the rest of the audience, but more authoritative. He was standing at the front. His face serious and scary.

He gulped.

It was beginning.

Myungsoo sat beside him and smiled at him reassuringly. There was no turning back now. He took a deep breath, and the judge began to speak.

~

“…As jurors you are not to be swayed by sympathy.” The judge began.

Myungsoo wanted to hug the nervous man sitting beside him, but now, although he didn’t want to admit it, their relationship didn’t exist. Right now, he was just the lawyer Kim Myungsoo, and the man next to him was Number 1-3-0-7-2-7.

“Counsellors, approach the bench, please.”

Myungsoo rose up and bowed, beginning to talk once the Judge had indicated it. “A year ago, I stood right here, speaking of the inequality of which our race suffers from. I have emphasised that there are 27 million people in the world that have been enslaved and tortured. People who have to . Women, children, men, human trafficking does not discriminate. These 27 million people of all ages and genders have to suffer through inhumane environments and it must come to an end now. We, as a nation, must stop, or at least try to stop human trafficking.” He said, pausing, for a split second before taking a deep breath, “I would like to present your honour with evidence in which I have collated over the past year. May I please call upon my first witness?”

The judge leaned back, and Hoya stood up, bowing and walked towards the witness box.

“Mr Lee Howon.” Myungsoo began, seeing the slight flinch from the said man, “Please repeat after me, ‘I solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give will be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.’”

“I solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give will be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.” He repeated.

“Now, can you tell the jury of your past?”

He nodded, “Well, I was a human trafficker.” He said boldly, gaining a few murmurs from the room.

There was a loud bang before the judge called out ‘Order,’ to silence the room, allowing him to proceed.

“I was born and trained to become one, and although my siblings continued with this tradition, I couldn’t do it. I was too weak, and I didn’t believe in the morality of it.”

“So what did you do?”

“I met someone there, and I helped him escape. And I ran away with him.” He answered loudly.

“You seem to be close to this man.”

Hoya nodded, “Yes.”

“Would you please describe him.”

“He was kidnapped and , before taken into the undergrounds, where he was abused countless of times.”

“And what was his position in this industry.”

“I don’t know. He only stayed for a few months, but I think they were planning to make him a slave. slaves were always the most successful sellers.”

“And Mr Lee, there is one final question, before I move on. Why didn’t you tell the policemen about this? You know that this is a major crime.”

“Yes, but me escaping was lucky enough. If I had called the policemen, I wouldn’t be here right now. Not only would no one believe me, but my family would have discovered my location and killed me. I admit I was selfish, but when it comes to life or death situations, we tend to choose life over death.”

Myungsoo nodded, “That is all, thank you. Before you leave, I would like you to verify that the next evidence I will present is a recording of you and Mr Jang Dongwoo?”

“That is correct.”

The judge nodded and leaned forward, “Before we proceed, I would like to ask the witness a few questions.”

“Yes, your honour.”

“Now, you say that he was taken down to the underground, would you be able to locate the place.”

“It’s slightly hazy, but I know that that it’s right outside north of the city.”

“And you say that you escaped, where to?”

“I went to Japan, but I only came back after knowing that this case was happening.”

The judge nodded, “You may be excused.”

Hoya stood up and bowed before returning to his seat, listening to the recording that was now played for all to hear. The recording had only been edited and condensed to 15 minutes, however it felt like eternity until it ended, as Sungyeol waited for his turn.

Once finished, Myungsoo continued for the next hour to present the facts to the judge and the jurors, showing them of camera footage, as well as locations of where possible trading occurred.

Everything was presented. All except for the most vital evidence of all- Sungyeol. He was up, however to his grief and relief, the judge had decided to take a break for lunch.

“So far so good.” Myungsoo muttered, as he dropped his head onto his arms, tired. They were now alone in the room, but the atmosphere seemed more tensed.

“Will I be next right after?”

Myungsoo nodded, “You must be so scared.”

He nodded, “I don’t like being under pressure.”

“No one really does.” He sighed. “Just a few more hours, and then after this we’ll go out somewhere, deal?”

Sungyeol nodded with a smile, “Deal.”

Myungsoo grinned, “I just need some strength now.” He groaned, burying his head further into his arms.

“Maybe you should eat too.”

“I have no appetite.” He mumbled.

“What to do then?” Sungyeol whispered quietly, looking down. Myungsoo looked up, his eyes trailing down to the pouting lips which seemed to tempt him. Before he knew it, he leaned forward and kissed him. Their lips moving rhythmically as they kissed away all the stress and tension between them.

Time seemed to slow down, until a third person cleared their throat, pulling them apart in shock. “Don’t think you should do that in a court room.” Sunggyu teased, as both faces turned crimson in embarrassment.

“I guess we got a bit too into it.” Myungsoo muttered, choking out a forced laugh.

“Just a bit.” He continued to tease, “Anyways, good job on the first half of the hearing. It’s good that you didn’t forget anything.”

He nodded, “Thank you.”

Sunggyu smiled grimly, “But don’t think it’s the end yet. The last piece of evidence is going to be the hardest.” He said, as though Sungyeol wasn’t there.

“I know, but I will do my best.”

“That’s good. Good luck to you two.” Sunggyu muttered, “And goodbye, for how long it takes.” He smiled sadly, before leaving.

“What?” Myungsoo stared at the retreating back, wondering what the other had meant.

But it didn’t matter now. What mattered was the rest of the hearing.

~

“I’d like to present my last and final evidence. May I please call upon my last witness?” Sungyeol took a deep breath and followed Hoya’s previous actions to sit in the witness box.

“Are you nervous sir?” Myungsoo began, seeing the shake his head slightly, whispering a ‘no’, “Please repeat after me, ‘I solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give will be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.’”

Sungyeol repeated the words, before the lawyer commenced, “Now, sir, would you mind introducing yourself?”

He took a deep breath and began, “I am Number 1-3-0-7-2-7. I am the 130 727th person that was taken into this human trafficking industry, 17 years ago.”

The judge sat up in interest, “How old are you?”

“I am 22 years old.”

“You were taken when you were only 5 years old?”

He nodded, “Yes, your honour.”

“Now, sir, would you be able to recount what they had done to you?”

“I was beaten up and tortured for most of the time. It wasn’t like any pain that one normally experiences. They were very creative, such that they tortured you in ways that would psychologically scar you.” He paused and hesitated.

“Do these tortures usually lead to scarring?”

“Yes, would you like me to show you some?”

“If you are comfortable.”

Sungyeol removed his blazer and turned around, lifting up his shirt, hearing gasped as they saw the prominent scars on his back. “These scars were only 10% of what they did to me.” He said, “These were metal whips that were heated up. As soon as the surface of the weapon hit the skin, it would instantly eat away the skin, like acid. After that, you can’t do anything. Everything you do would be too hard, but then, you’d be forced to do other things despite the pain.”

“And may I ask, what other things you had to do.”

Sungyeol hesitated, fiddling with the hem of his shirt, “I was a slave.” He finally announced.

“A slave?”

He nodded, “Yes.”

“And what did you have to do?”

“I would have with the traffickers, if not, then I would be sold to clients who could use me in anyways they wanted.”

Continuous questions were thrown at him, and Myungsoo wanted to throw away his image for even a second to embrace the other to comfort him. Sungyeol looked shaken up, scared. It was obvious that the memories pained him, and it was his fault that Sungyeol had to relive every moment. But at the same time, he was amazed at how well Sungyeol’s memory was. Not only, could he remember all the words and phrases in which he had taught him in the past week, but he was able to descriptively describe everything he had gone through, as though it were all written in on a piece of paper.

His heart raced faster as the time for the prisoner to come approached. He felt horrible to have not told the other. But he didn’t want to stress Sungyeol out. Now, however, Myungsoo felt that it was a total mistake.

“Now, sir, I heard that you were kidnapped a few days ago.” He saw Sungyeol’s eyes widen, and the judge lean forward in curiosity.

“Y-Yes, it was last Tuesday.” Sungyeol recounted.

“Now, he’s here with us today, do you mind if we bring him in?”

“B-Bring him in?”

Myungsoo nodded his head patiently.

“U-Um, where will he be?” He asked, and Myungsoo knew that he had gone too far. He wanted to cry, but he couldn’t, because he was now the ‘lawyer without a heart’.

“He won’t be anywhere close to you.”

Sungyeol nodded, “O-Okay.” He whispered.

“Can we please bring in Mr Choi.” Myungsoo announce, and Woohyun gave a small nod, turning to open the doors, where several policemen were surrounding him.

“Mr Choi Haesuk. Please repeat after me, ‘I solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give will be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.’” Myungsoo said, once he had walked over to the man who was seated on the other side of the court.

He nodded.

“Please speak.”

He continued to glare, before reluctantly repeating the lawyer, as though he was biting his tongue.

“Now Mr Choi, what is your relationship with this man?”

“He’s mine.”

“Would you care to elaborate?”

“He is mine! But they took him away from me!” He shouted, “I love him! I gave him everything! He loves me too!” He screamed in a frenzy, standing up in anger.

The judge banged the gavel, ordering him to stay seated.

“He’s mine.” He’d continued to mutter possessively.

“Sir.” Myungsoo said, turning to Sungyeol, “Who is this man to you?”

“He bought me.” He whispered.

“Bought you?”

“Yes.”

“And how?” Myungsoo began to have flashbacks of the man, as sweat droplets fell from his very slim face. He clenched his fist slightly, crumpling the papers he was holding.

“They would drug me, and then they would lead me into this room. It’s a glass room, but it’s tinted so I never knew what was outside. But after that I was at some foreign place.”

“You were bought.”

He nodded, “I was bought.”

“Mr Choi, is it true that you bought this man?”

“No.”

“Mr Choi, remember that you are still under oath.” The judge warned.

He glared at the lawyer before nodding, “I bought him. With all the money I got, but I lost him in the end!” He yelled.

“And the money that you used to buy it. It was all your money?”

“Yes.” He nodded.

“So you must be rich?”

He hesitated, before nodding.

“Then why couldn’t you get yourself a lawyer?” Myungsoo challenged before the Judge had interrupted.

“Is this relevant, counsellor?”

“Apologies, your honour.” He replied, before continuing. “So what did you do to him once you bought him?”

“I love him.”

“Please answer the question.”

“He wanted it too!”

“He wanted what?”

“He tempted me! I just loved him, but he continued to tempt him. He wanted to have too!” He yelled in defence.

“Is this true?” He asked Sungyeol, who shook his head immediately.

“I did not want it, but being raised for 17 years that was how my life was, I did it because they told me to.”

Myungsoo nodded, “Thank you, I have no further questions.”

“Mr Choi, you are dismissed.” And with that, the prisoner was led out.

“As you can see, this man is a victim of this horrible industry of human trafficking. If we do not do something right now, there will be more people like him who will have a great dealing of suffering as they grow up.” He announced.

“I have a few questions for the witness.” One of the members interrupted.

“Proceed.” The judge said.

“Now, what did you say your name was?”

“Number 1-3-0-7-2-7.”

He nodded, “Do you have a name?”

“No, but I made one up, that people now refer me as.”

“And what is that?”

“Lee Sungyeol.”

“Mr Lee.” The member nodded, “You say that you were exploited into the industry at the age of five, did your mother approve of this?”

“Objection!” Myungsoo shouted.

“Overruled.” The judge replied sternly, “Proceed.”

“I-I… No, she didn’t approve of it.”

“Then why were you taken?”

“Because we were poor. My mother borrowed money off of them out of desperation, but we couldn’t pay them back. So they killed her and took me.” Myungsoo stared, shocked at the other’s confession.

“You saw them kill her?”

“Yes, she died protecting me.”

“Did she have a job? If she had a job she could have repaid them.”

Myungsoo stood up, ready to object, but Sungyeol had interrupted him.

“She did have a job. She worked a cleaner and a e. She couldn’t get any other jobs, because we were the lower class.”

“But she could have climbed her way up.” The man challenged. It seemed as though he had something against Sungyeol, but Myungsoo was no longer in position to say anything.

“Like someone important to me once said, ‘The world needs equilibrium. Without people to suffer for those who are higher classed, it seems like the world can’t function.’ I was five when I saw my mother killed in front of me. I may have been young, but I remember every detail. I can remember her fight to protect me, to make sure that I lived. She died thinking that I would die, but I suffered much worse. Nonetheless, if you had seen the resilience in her eyes that night, you too, would deem her a hero like I do till this day. Please do not disrespect her, sir. Not in front of me.” He continued, staring fiercely at the man.

Myungsoo had never seen this side of Sungyeol. He had never seen him defend something so viciously, as though they were threatening him. He frightened him, yet impressed him.

“My apologies.” He replied stoically, “I have one last question. You are out now. So does that mean you escaped? Or were your bought?” He stared back, with as much intensity as the other had given him previously.

Sungyeol almost lost his stance as the question hit him. He looked at the lawyer who seemed just as shock as he was.

He knew that buying people was illegal.

And if he told the truth, then Myungsoo would go to jail.

“Remember you are still under oath.” The judge spoke up.

“I-I was bought.” He announced, earning gasps from the audience.

“Is he in this room right now?”

He looked at Myungsoo and saw fear. He nodded slightly.

“Please speak.”

“H-He’s in the room.” He whispered, his eyes adverting to the floor.

“Who is he?”

Sungyeol couldn’t tell them. The lawyer stood up and walked towards him, looking at him straight in the eye, as though telling him something. Don’t worry.

Myungsoo took a deep breath and stared at the man.

“I did.”

His neck snapped towards the intruding voice that seemed to be miles away. No.

“I bought him.”

“Kim Sunggyu?” The member scoffed, “You know it’s against the rules.”

“We needed him for this case. The only way to find someone like him was to buy him. So I did what you cowards could never do.” He shot back.

“Sunggyu.” Myungsoo whispered. “What have you done?”

~

The members of the jury had left, as well as the judge and several of the audience.

“What the .” Myungsoo snarled, “We made a deal that if anything like that happened, I would take blame!”

“Spur of the moment.” Sunggyu shrugged, as though it was no big deal,

“You could be going to jail!” Myungsoo shouted, “What were you thinking? You’re at the top of your career right now!”

“And you’re getting there.” Sunggyu replied, “You should reach where I am first, before you pull a stupid move like that.”

“Sunggyu…”

“I’ll be alright.” He said, I promise.

And it was at the moment, Myungsoo realised why the other had bid his farewells before, he wasn’t expecting them to speak after.

Because he knew that he was going to jail after this.

~

It had hit him like a déjà vu, as he sat nervously waiting for the final verdict.

“It’s time for the jury to make their final verdict.” The judge announced, after they had silently walked back in. The foreman walked towards the judge, handing him a piece of paper.

 “Mr Foreman, members of the jury, have you reached this verdict unanimously?”

The members nodded, “Yes, your honour.”

The lawyer gripped onto the hem of his blazer, his face showing no emotion, but his heart beating fasted than ever before.

 “Request for government to implement a committee against human trafficking will be acknowledged. However not by the government. We will be asking the UN to take action. This country will not take action individually. As well as this. Kim Sunggyu will be sentenced to 3 years in prison for pleading guilty to the involvement of human trafficking.” The judge paused and looked at Myungsoo, before looking back down, “Number 1-3-0-7-2-7, also referred to as Lee Sungyeol will be sentenced to 6 years in jail for the involvement of ion and human trafficking.”

A bang as the gavel made contact with the wood, had indicated that the case was over. He had won. They were finally acknowledging the case that he had work so hard on, but he hadn’t won. He had lost everything.

Everything felt numb, and he could only hear the blurs of the jury and other audiences congratulating him on his success, but what success?

 


I actually don't know anything about how law works T~T Which is pretty silly considering the face that this whole story is about law -w- anyways, please don't quote me on any of this and please don't hate me for the very movie-like quotes that I've put in T~T But please do let me know how you think!

Next chapter will be up in like 3 days, promise~! 

Till next time! Stay safe and well ^-^