Chapter 5

Unfair

a/n: I have been having trouble correcting the format, does somebody know what to do? :( I'll try to fix this as soon as I can. Till then, plz, don't give up on this and continue to read it.

Edit: I think, It has been formatted..

 

(I know this is so annoying but.. T_T)

 

 

 

When Minseok found the hall where the orientation programme was to start, he got lost in the crowd. There were too many alphas in that crowd. But, he was still in the high of that match and he crossed his fingers that his stay at this place would be equally good. He was nervous but, he had improved in this short time. He met some of his to-be classmates, some seniors. The whole day went in settling down, sorting his things. He was finally away from his family. He didn’t want to think too much about it. So, he set about tiding up his room, looking for his classrooms and all that. He stayed out in the campus till it was quite late in the evening. He went back to that field where he had played in the morning and stood there for sometime wondering what life had in store for him. He took his bottle of suppressants out of his pocket and played with it. He screwed and unscrewed the cap. He hoped it would continue to work. He heard some alphas coming up to the playground. So, he stuffed the bottle back in and went back to his room. When he pulled his blanket over his head that night he hoped the rest of his days in the university would be spent similarly.

 

 

 

It took him quite a long time to realise that he had got way more than he had wished for; that those three years had been the best days of his life.

 

 

 

In the following days, Minseok met the Chinese guy Lu Han in the corridors once or, twice a day. Then, after a few weeks, he saw him in corridors, canteen and library. It was like he popped up at the most unexpected times in front of him. He had been invited to Luhan’s circle. He had been introduced to so many people because of him. Everyone had been polite and friendly. He still kept his guard up around them though. He couldn’t give up his years of being wary of alphas so quickly. Luhan went to a lot of parties, he hung out with a lot of people, he was becoming quite properly in every circle. A lot of the alphas of their batch looked up to him in varying interest. Luhan was polite and soft-spoken. He never tried to walk into Minseok’s personal space like a lot of alpha he had noticed did. He always kept at a distance even when he was inviting Minseok for various stupid silly things. Towards the end of that semester, when soccer trials notice were out, Luhan had asked him if he was going to play. Minseok had said no. The Chinese alpha had gone away without replying. Later, that night, he had called him for yet another invitation which the Korean alpha again turned down. Minseok failed to understand why the Chinese was so persistent and put up with him. He was pretty sure he’d have too many other options.

 

 

 

Luhan had simply gone on and entered Minseok’s name for the trial and the latter had been furious on finding out. But, he had not wanted to create a scene and so, had gone for that trial he had known he’d fail. But, he had not and had been selected for the soccer for the university. Luhan had avoided him those few days. But, when the results had been declared, he had gone running to him on seeing him in the canteen, hugging him and laughing in excitement. Minseok had looked at him in disbelief. He had punched Luhan straight in the gut and had walked out of the building. By the time he had reached his room, his anger, surprise at being selected and embarrassment for being hugged by the Idiot Alpha in the cafeteria had worn off. He knew Luhan had his best interest in his mind that was how the boy was like but, dammit. Could he have not told him once? Warned him? He had gone on to ignoring him (like he had known Minseok would have been furious with him but, why do that then?) and, then, suddenly, sprung on him and hugged him in front of the whole canteen. He had been too embarrassed. He was mostly a loner occasionally, talking to this and that person. Luhan was The New Alpha Kid who everyone wanted to be. The teachers liked him, his fellow classmates and seniors liked him. Those who didn’t, well, they grudgingly accepted him. He was fawned over by a lot and lot of people in the university. He was a good student and turned out to be a good sports person. He even knew how to play the guitar! He wondered what Luhan couldn’t do. He was like the alpha you liked the moment you first see him but, you look at him in awe when he talked. He knew how to charm people. He was caring, easy going, calm, level-headed, a little bit into mischief making and most importantly, patient. What else could you call him if not that?

 

 

 

Minseok knew Luhan pursued him like.. A cat pursues a mouse or, a rat, insistent never tired, but, he never knew what his intention was. He liked him a lot. He tried and tried to not let himself be affected by his charms that oozed out of him in his silliness, in his goof-ups and in his smiles. He knew he was watched. Those eyes followed his every movement. (That became obvious to him only in their second year.) When their second semester started, Luhan introduced him to the rest of the soccer team, asked him if he wanted to play with him in the evenings. Luhan had expected the answer to have been a ‘no’ but, when Minseok had said a ‘yes’ smiling saying he could play with him right then if he wanted, the Chinese alpha’s jaw had dropped. He had laughed and laughed at that expression till he had been red in the face, till his stomach hurt, till he noticed the way the blond alpha was looking at him with his eyes shining like.. Minseok didn’t know how to describe it. But, he had immediately shut up.

 

 

 

Later in the night, he had received a text: “Coffee?” Minseok had known who it was from but, he still sent a “Who’s this?” He just got a “Open the door” in reply. Curious, he had opened the door thinking Luhan was waiting for him but, in the doorway was a Latte from the cafe he frequented a lot during the weekends. He hurriedly took it inside and kept it on the table staring at it. Few minutes later, he received another text.

 

“Hope you like it :)”

 

Minseok stared at it for a long long time and not falling asleep till it was quite late in the night his heart beating quite fast thinking why Luhan knew which cafe he went to and sending his favourite.

 

 

 

 *****

 

 

 

By third semester, Minseok and Luhan had started hanging out together after their classes for soccer practices and coffee. Sometimes, they’d play with others. Other times, they two would play alone. He enjoyed those practices most and the coffee that followed the practice. They’d split the money and buy. They had some common classes now including the extra classes everyone had to take up. Both of them attended the music classes. One time after practice, Luhan asked him if he wanted to go back to his room and the Korean alpha had flushed to a beetroot shade and stuttered a ‘no’. When he looked up at his friend’s face, he was met with an equally surprised expression on the other alpha’s face who tried to explain what he had meant and wasn’t implying anything. Minseok had felt so stupid, he’d continuously hit himself on the head with his pillow later in the night.

 

Soon though he had understood why Luhan would have never said that to him. In one of those parties that he had been invited to but, seldom went to, he had overheard the other Chinese boys teasing Luhan about the omegas he had slept with. Minseok had left the party heart broken. On the way back he had stumbled into a Korean guy called Kim Jongdae. He was one of those few juniors who had signed up for the extra classes that were compulsory only for the second and third years. He was in the Music class with him but, Minseok had always assumed he was Chinese since he went by the name ‘Chen’ and spoke with a decent Changsha dialect. Minseok after that party, accepted every time Luhan or, anybody else for that matter invited him. One could call him masochistic, but, he thought it was for best. If he was constantly reminded that Luhan never would be interested in him that way, it was for the best. He started hanging out more and more with the taller alpha, sitting together in classes, in canteen, playing soccer together, going out together for coffee. They won matches together, they studied together. It took him sometime to get adjusted to the fact that Luhan would never see him as more than a friend. But, it was okay. The Chinese boy nicknamed him ‘Baozi’ because he looked like a bun to him.

 

 

 

By semester four, Luhan had taken over all the empty slots and places and niches of his life. It didn’t matter if his love would always remain unrequited. Luhan had given him everything else. He even gave him a name - Xiumin by which every one knew him. He had made friends. He had given him a (social) life, a comfort, a place and he hadn’t even known that. Since that very first day. He had made him feel accepted and wanted. One time, when some alphas jealous of Luhan had tried to gang up on him, Minseok had interfered and they had instead beaten him up. Luhan had not run away like his classmates back in school had. He had tried to protect him. When the school authorities had come and stopped the fight, Luhan had picked him up and taken him to the infirmary though he was the one who had suffered more injuries. Minseok had had to convince him to get himself treated instead of just sitting beside him through out the night. It had taken a lot of convincing. The blond alpha had acquiesced but, had come right back and laid himself on the next bed. Every time Minseok would wake up from his disturbed sleep, he’d find Luhan lying on his side facing towards him, his hand stretched out towards his bed. Minseok had not known what to feel or, think. Luhan overwhelmed him with his presence, his stares but, he didn’t want it to stop. He had accepted that he’d take what he was getting and he was getting too much. He never understood Luhan.

 

 

 

From the days that followed, Minseok became Xiumin. He dropped his inhibitions (as much as was possible for him) he got more and more comfortable with Luhan. He didn’t care why the Chinese talked to him, played with him, studied with him, never refused the rumours that had started - that both of them were dating. He didn’t care why he was looked at with that sort of adoration and amusement, with those sparkling eyes, with that smile, with that expression on the face like he had been the jackpot the taller alpha had hit in a game. None of those mattered anymore to him. He went wherever he was asked, he did whatever Luhan wanted. They behaved like five year old idiots. He woke up to his texts, he spent the entire day with him, he fell asleep texting him. There was nothing left in his time as his own. Everything was him and Luhan. He did nothing alone anymore. At the end of the fourth semester, he had been a little anxious. He would be leaving after two more semesters. However, one evening during a soccer practice, he casually told that he too was going to SNU for the remaining two years under the student exchange programme since his best friend was over there. And, it wouldn't harm to see the place Xiumin talked about so much. With that, Luhan put a stop to that anxiousness too.

 

 

 

The holiday following semester four, they had spent texting each other constantly. His mother and dongsaeng would look at him funnily. His sister at one point asked him if it was an omega he was dating. Minseok had spitted the soup that he was drinking, flustered and excused himself from the dining table. That night, his mother had given a long lecture on how he should be responsible as an alpha and those cringe worthy lectures he could have really done without. But, she never asked him who it was and he never said who it was. By third year, Minseok told Luhan about Seoul, what all he could do there; the places he could visit, the dishes he should try. Sometimes he’d be teased for his excitement. One time the blond alpha even asked him if he was going to reunite with his girl/boyfriend omega and the shorter alpha had huffed and had refused to talk to him the whole day. After that, Luhan never made such jokes. In fact, Minseok realised a few months later, that his Chinese friend had stopped mentioning about his life or, his dating life or, whatever that he had. He had never asked Minseok about his but, he would talk about his own. But, then, he had stopped mentioning his too and his friends too didn't mentioned it around Xiumin either anymore. It wasn’t just that. Luhan had started displaying more and more alphaic behaviours. He’d constantly hog all of Xiumin’s attention as if he wasn’t giving all of it already. He’d always come up with something that hindered his plans with Jongdae thinking he was using up the time meant for him. It was like Luhan was becoming territorial about him. One time when they had been to some amusement park, his Korean friend had put his arm around his shoulder. Luhan had come and swiftly dropped Jongdae’s arm amd replaced it with his own. He’d buy his coffee and not let Minseok pay for him. He’d not let him pay for anything. So, Minseok would have to buy for him something instead. And what amazed him the most was that Luhan paid attention to everything he did. One time, when they had been passing a shop on one of their trips outside Beijing, he had liked a cap that had been on display but, since they had already run out of money, he had let it be. But, two days later, he had found it sitting on his table in his room. Minseok had gone to him ready to shout and scream. He didn’t want him to spend anymore money on him. But, Luhan wouldn’t listen. He even refused to accept that he had bought it for him. The red-haired short alpha had given up in defeat. Even his red hair was courtesy of Luhan. According to the said boy, Minseok looked best in that. Minseok had called it bull but, he had done it anyway.

 

 

 

Minseok never liked any sort of public display. He had always been a private person and had thought if he’d ever be in a relationship, he’d never show it, or, talk about it. With Luhan, it wasn’t a relationship. Obviously. It would be pathetic of him to think so, but, it was something. Whatever it was, it had a lot of PDA Minseok really wanted to cringe away from. But, he could never do away with anything Luhan had wanted. If he wanted to backhug him, he let him. If he wanted to go around behaving like his bodyguard during their trips outside the university, he let him. It had even earned him the name ‘Ludyguard’ from Jongdae and the other Chinese friends. When he had heard it, he had just looked smug and had said a 'I like it'. When Minseok in turn was asked if he liked the name Baozi, he had felt the Luhan stare and the word ‘satisfied’ had slipped out of his mouth before he could stop it. He had loved the sound of the laugh that had followed his answer.

 

 

 

He never understood why those eyes looked at him that way. He never questioned their owner. He never questioned their relationship whatever it was. He never stopped Luhan from doing whatever he wanted. If he was going out with everyone but, stopped Minseok from going out with anyone else without him, Minseok let him. Because, Minseok loved the way those eyes lit up when they saw him, the way that smile etched on his face when he saw him, or, those eyes crinkled, or, twinkled, or, blinked when he chose anybody else over him even if it was for a joke. He loved the way those soft locks of hair he had found annoying on the first day were flicked. He loved the way those thin fingers gripped his arm and pulled him back from anybody else and everybody else. He loved the way his best friend had looked abashed when he had to scold him once for trying to stop him from meeting his alpha mother. Luhan never looked like a typical alpha at the first glance. One got to see it slowly, overtime. Minseok had never seen him being overbearing, dominating or, domineering but, as a pleasant, level-headed alpha who knew what he wanted. His scent wasn’t nauseating like most of the other alphas. He had heard about Luhan's scent from others in passing like Jongdae, his mother. He couldn’t tell what his scent was like due to his suppressants. But, he knew it would be sweet and pleasant. Sometimes he wanted to stop taking his suppressants just to smell him. But, he couldn’t do that. Others couldn’t smell him either though Luhan would often joke that he could. And, when he cracked such jokes, which weren’t at all funny to Minseok, the latter would stiffen, But, he was never asked why. Luhan never asked him why he used suppressants more than what the University rules prescribed and he was grateful. He’d always help divert the subject if somebody brought up his complete lack of scent. Minseok didn’t want anyone to know he was terrible at being an alpha if it wasn’t already plain visible.

 

 

 

It had been the last day of their third year. They were going back for vacations never to return to BUA. Minseok had been getting ready in his room. Luhan had come in bounding.

 

“Packed?”

 

“Of course. You?”

 

“I’ll be leaving after a few days.”

 

“What? Why?” Minseok continued to fiddle with the buttons of his shirt, looking at the mirror.

 

“Uh.. I.. My parents aren’t there. So..”

 

“Come over to mine then?”

 

He saw Luhan’s eyes widen in the reflection like they’d fall out and heard him mutter “Why didn’t I think about it before.”

 

“Cause you are stupid.” Minseok rolled his eyes. “Let’s go. Get your bags.” He turned around smiling at his best friend.

 

“Wait.” Luhan blocked his way and was suddenly looming in his personal space looking a little anxious.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing.” Luhan stepped even closer and suddenly, gripped Minseok’s hair tight with his left hand and used his right to stop the shorter man’s arms from pushing him away in reflex.

 

“What-”

 

“Shhh..”

Luhan felt so alien in that moment. Minseok could feel the hair on his neck standing up, the warmth of his body; his warm breath on his face. There was a sudden change in the room's atmosphere. He could taste something peculiar in the air.. Was that Luhan’s scent? Before he could think or, ask, Luhan had leaned in closer and had started sniffing Minseok. He rubbed his nose against his neck, his collar, under his ears. Minseok’s heart lurched and his breath hitched. Luhan did the same to the other ear, to the other side of his neck, to his collarbones. Luhan finally looked at him after what felt like hours. His pupils were blown wide and Minseok’s eyes widened. Luhan’s grip on him tightened for a second but, then they were gone and he shivered with the sudden cold. Luhan was stepping back already, his head bent, his fringe covering his eyes. If the room hadn’t been that silent he would have missed the whispered “Be safe” before the blond alpha disappeared. Minseok stood there facing towards the door, staring. Had Luhan just scented him?