Chapter 1

Unfair

He hadn’t been all that late either. He was glad to see the ‘party’ on full swing. He had flagged a taxi and had come straight to the pub from the airport. He just had his passport, mobile, wallet and some keys on him. He didn’t really need anything else. The rest could be bought anywhere anyway. He had been on a tight schedule like a really really tight schedule. But, as soon as his best friend had called him, he had booked the first flight and come to Seoul. He didn’t even have time to pack lest his manager found out. He was going to get hell from that man afterwards. Till then, he was going to enjoy himself.

 

After all, it was Lay’s wedding. He wasn’t going to it miss for the world. Smiling, he approached the booth with the rowdiest alphas in the pub.

 

 

A few hours earlier ~~

 

 

Everyone had been running to and fro. It was a big event. And, it wasn’t just any event. It was the Kims’, one of the richest and most influential families of Seoul, first child’s wedding. So, of course, it was going to be all pomp and show. Everyone important had been invited. All the big shots of the Alpha world and their mates. Though Joonmyun knew it was all for show. His parents could care less who he was marrying since his mate was not an Omega. He smirked remembering his parents reaction when he had informed them that he had already bonded. To a Beta at that without a proper bonding ceremony. This marriage was entirely a farce to cover that up. His parents didn’t wish to be “embroiled in any scandal”. Hence, the elaborate show. Well, at least, he was going to be able to give his mate his name in the most honoured and respected of traditions. His mate deserved at least that much.

 

Lay was his most precious person. He himself had been a stickler for rules and being polite. Things which he had always thought were enough to be a good man. To be a good alpha, bond with a gentle, caring omega of his class and remain the best son. Lay had spoiled all those plans of his and completely. And, did he not love him for that. Joonmyun chuckled. Lay wasn’t an omega. He wasn’t of the elite class. He wasn’t even from his country! The only trait Lay had of his ‘ídeal omega’ was he was caring in nature. He was a beta who was in the last term of his housemanship. In a few months, he’d be a full-fledged doctor. And, where would he be? The first child of the Kims, Kim Joonmyun? Most likely out on the streets. Knowing how the society worked, how his parents were, he knew they will not be so easily persuaded to settle on this matter. After all, they always had a say in everything. He wished his dongsaeng didn’t have too much to suffer because of him.

 

Ugh, too much depressing thoughts right in the morning. “Jang Hye ri-ssi, is that.. Is that soju? Are you drinkin-”

 

“aigoo, master!!!”, the housekeeper looked at him in horror. No one in the working staff was allowed to drink. Mr. Kim would fire them without a second thought. “you know I don’t-”

 

“sorry”, he smiled sheepishly eyeing the suspicious green bottle in her hand, “could you get me one though? I am really thirsty.”

 

Jang Hyeri’s eyes widened. But, she went looking to smuggle yet another bottle of soju. This time for Master Suho. It wasn’t like she could protest. They wouldn’t listen to her anyway and she mused she’d want to take some soju too had she been in the same situation. Something was definitely up with the Kim boys. Both of them were behaving differently. She had seen them since their childhood. Master Suho was drinking now! That too in the morning! Master Jongin was never outside his room and Master Suho was rarely in the mansion. On top of that, Master Suho was going to marry a Beta! Though she’d admit she was proud of him for taking such a decision (that Beta was the sweetest thing she had ever come across! He was perfect for my Master!), she was worried for them both. A rich, upper-class alpha marrying a middle-class Beta was totally unheard of. She hoped the soft-spoken young master knew what he was doing.

 

Joonmyun didn’t wait for the housekeeper to come back. He ran up the stairs, two steps at a time, to his room. He flung the curtains apart and sat on the big, wide table to look out his window. Kim mansion was indeed a beautiful place to be. He unplugged his phone from charge and started texting - he needed to make sure all his friends would be present during the best stag night ever. He laughed thinking about them. In the initial days of their university, the other students had called them Krisus & gang. Those boys! All so weird.

 

He settled himself on the table comfortably waiting for their replies while looking out at the staff working in the garden and the new hires. They were all busy decorating the place for the wedding. Perhaps, these were really his last days in the mansion. He wasn’t sure. But, he was a Kim and Kim Joonmyun never gave up on his things that easily.

  *****

 

Sehun usually woke up at a quite a decent hour in the morning. He bathed for around an hour (an Omega had to look after himself properly; keep themselves groomed) using those beautiful smelling bath salts. They were all imported. Privileges of the rich. He’d go downstairs, have his breakfast and then, go back to his room and wait for the reply to one of his many texts to Kai. This was his daily routine. Kai had been a really close friend of his before they had presented. Then, Kai was confirmed to be an alpha and he, an omega. And, alphas and omegas can never be friends they said.

 

However, they had ended up going to the same university later. No surprises there. It was the best in the country. The security for Omegas, especially. Every alpha had to sign a Code of Conduct. If they failed, they were publicly humiliated. The university was for the Elites (only they could afford it, really) and Elites would want nothing to do with humiliated family members. So, every Alpha was on his/her best behaviour. Every omega, safe. In those environments, Kai had found his set of friends, and, Sehun, his own. Though their friend circle often overlapped. He had been friends with many alphas and some omegas. He didn’t believe omegas and alphas couldn’t be friends.

 

He missed them. Everyone had graduated and had become something. He didn’t have to be in touch with them. One could follow them on media. And, here he was doing absolutely nothing. He had a permanent invitation with the Kims, so, he’d go there for dinners. That was the only thing he did and dare he admit, looked forward to. But, the dinner was usually silent. There were only the Kim seniors; sometimes accompanied by Kai. They’d, may be, sometimes chat if Kai felt like it, or else, not. He’d go back just like he had come.

 

His phone’s screen flashed. There was a text. He hurriedly opened it and then, sighed. It was Kai alright.

 

“Dinner was nice.”

 

But, it was the usual three-four worded reply. As if, he believed in a minimalistic approach in text. He snorted. There were days when Kai’d text like a normal being. But, most days, he was a text minimalist.

 

 On his mother’s advice, he had cooked something and taken it over to the Kims last night. He had wanted to see Kai’s reaction. His friend had barely acknowledged what he was eating and had left quickly. So, he texted him later in the night. He’ll admit he was having a bit of crush on his friend these days. But, who wouldn’t? Kai was a dark-skinned, tall, lean alpha whose scent didn’t nauseate others while his aura was powerful. He was friendly but, reserved. Sometimes, even intimidating. Sehun always had a crush on someone so, it wasn’t really a problem if it was his friend right now. One time, it had even been a classmate in school, once a senior from his university and once, an omega. Nobody took his crush seriously (if at all they knew about it). Not even he himself.

 

His screen flashed again. It was Suho hyung this time.

“You can come! Omegas are permitted.”

 

As much as everyone liked to pretend, the world hadn’t really progressed. There were pubs now that ‘allowed’ omegas but, it was always an omegas responsibility to keep themselves safe. Of course, Suho hyung would be inviting his friends to the stag party. So, he had been included. But, he was an omega and he had needed permission. Also, not pubs allowed omegas entry. Barring him and Lay hyung, everyone was an alpha. No matter. They were the safest unmated alphas to be around for an unmated omega. At least, for Sehun, anyway. He was excited. He was going to meet them all after such a long time. If nothing else, Suho hyung’s marriage was an excuse for a long weekend party!

 

He texted Suho hyung back confirming his time of arrival.

 

   *****

 

Jongin hated waking up. He had a permanent headache. He always thought he could sleep it off may be this time. But, he couldn’t. It wasn’t just his head though. Sometimes, even his heart ached. Sometimes he’d wake up in the middle of the night clutching his chest, panting loudly. Initially, he had been scared he was having a cardiac arrest. But, it happened almost every night now. The closer it got to his hyung’s wedding date, the more his aches increased. May be he was being delusional or, maybe he was not. He had absolutely no idea why though.

 

He’d given up on his sleep. But, he was barely awake. He looked at the soju bottle neatly tucked away behind his books on the racks. That must be the housekeeper, Mrs. Jang. How grateful he had been to that warm Beta lady. She’d smuggle in now almost every morning a green bottle without a thought to her job. His parents would fire her immediately if they’d come to know. But, it wasn’t like she had an option. Either it was that, or, it was Jongin getting her evicted if she didn’t do what he asked of her. His mother wouldn’t even pause to think what he was asking. She’d do it without hesitation, especially, now that his hyung was getting married to a person of his own choice. Perks, he laughed bitterly, of being the lone ‘obedient child’. He dragged himself to the bookshelves and almost emptied the bottle as he chugged the content. It burnt his throat every time. Then, he went back dragging his legs till they hit the bed and fell flat on his face on the mattress; praying, this time he wouldn’t be seeing those big, wide eyes that had become the cause of his nightmares. Praying, willing his heart to stop the damn racing. He didn’t want. He didn’t want to see, to remember.

 

 

Jongin had been the most pampered kid of all the Kim children. Joonmyun had been too good for his own good and Jongdae had never really been around except for the winter holidays. He did what he wanted, he got he wanted. He played with the kids of the visiting guests. He played with the kids of their neighbours and their servants’. He played with everyone. He spent all day long out in the field, sweating and getting tanned and more tanned. But, only one game did he like to play the most. The game of bullying. And, not just any one mind you. He had this one special target who walked in the mansion like he had Come Bully Me sign painted right on his face. Like he had been asking for it. That small, tiny structure with big, wide wide eyes like an owl’s with the most.. weird voice. He wanted to punch that face every time he saw it. He loved laughing at the high pitch squeak that emitted every time he jumped on his target. He loved that game. He loved seeing those eyes grow wider.

 

 

“Jongin-ah”

 

 

Jongin whimpered and pulled his pillows closer to his chest, his eyes tight shut, whispering ‘no, no, no , please no’.

 

“Let’s end this.”