Infinite's Leader, Kim Sunggyu

I Found You (An Infinite Kim Sunggyu Fanfiction)

Disclaimer: All the events that are happening in this fanfiction is not based on any true story. All events are strictly based on the imagination of the writer.

***
 

Seoul, South Korea Dec 2017


 

It has been 7 years since Infinite has debuted and they became one of the most popular groups in Korea and overseas. They've just concluded their 3rd World Tour Encore Concert in Seoul a few days ago, which sold out within 5 mins.

 

The members decided to gather to celebrate the success of their Encore concert two days after. 

 

~9PM – 2 days after the conclusion of Infinite 3rd World Tour Encore Concert~ Restaurant

 

Sungjong, the energetic maknae came with the reliable hyung Sungyeol and arrived at the agreed restaurant first riding a Range Rover SportSDV6. Not long after, they noticed Myungsoo's black Audi S5 parking near the restaurant. Dongwoo and Hoya, who came together after a schedule, riding in an Infiniti Q50, arrived not long after Myungsoo. Everyone were in high spirits as they waited for the last two members. 

 

Myungsoo started fiddling with his new obsession, his phone. Dongwoo and Hoya were ecstatically sharing about the things that happened at the recording they attended. They did not notice the restaurant door opening. They belatedly noticed a lone figure making their way to them and his facial expression screamed seriousness. "Woohyun hyung," acknowledged Sungjong. Sungyeol, sensing that something was not right spoke and asked, "Is something wrong?"

 

Dongwoo too, started asking, "Aren't you supposed to come with Sunggyu? Did something happen?"

 

Woohyun, forcefully pulled out the chair designated for him and sat slouched and his expression was grim. He seemed to sigh in defeat but not long after clicked his tongue and said "Aish, I don't know anymore." With a clenched fist, he hit the table. The force was enough to allow the utensil basket to topple over. The members were shocked at the attitude Woohyun was showing. 

 

"Ya, Nam Woohyun! Get your grip together!" Dongwoo couldn't help but slightly raise his voice and scold Woohyun. "You are in a restaurant, remember that!"

 

Myungsoo who was oddly calm – perhaps because he's one of the few people that Woohyun has showed this side of him – said, "Hyung, breathe and calm down. You have to tell us properly what happened."

 

Woohyun breathe in deeply. "He's Infinite's leader. He's not just Kim Sunggyu. He's Kim Sunggyu, Infinite's Leader." The other members cannot seem to get what he was saying except Hoya – whose face now turned from concerned to sour and filled with annoyance. He crossed his arms and sat up a bit more straight and gave Woohyun a knowing look. 'Is it about him quitting?

 

'Yes'. Woohyun's eyes said confidently but sooned questioned Hoya. 'How did you know?'

 

'I overheard'  Hoya's eyes answered.

 

~4PM – 2 days after the conclusion of Infinite 3rd World Tour Encore Concert~ Woollim Entertainment Building

 

"Jungyeop hyung"

 

Perhaps it was because since his trainee days, but there's this feeling of familiarity ever since. Sunggyu would feel uneasy calling him Daepyonim (대표님) whenever they are talking in private. 

 

Sunggyu sat at one of the couches in CEO Lee Jungyeop's office. With his hands clasped together, he looked at the man standing at the far end of the office near the window over-looking buildings in Seongsan-dong.

 

The CEO, who was looking through the window from his office let out a deep sigh. He took a sip from his whiskey glass before setting it down at a nearby table. 

 

Sunggyu took in his CEO's appearance. Dressed in a sharp navy blue suit, his kind demeanor emanates despite not facing him. "Sunggyu... If this is about what we've fought about during the Europe stop, I will not allow it." His voice was now stern and demanding. Sunggyu admired this quality of him – how he's so caring and supportive of the members, sometimes he's as if their own family member and yet still able to draw a line when it comes to business. 

 

"Hyung..." Sunggyu's voice was pleading, as if his life depended on it. "Just this once, hyung. I seldom make requests from you... I'm too tired. Let me quit..."

 

"Sunggyu, I can't let you quit. What reason are we supposed to give the public if you suddenly quit like this. And, you're Infinite's Leader. How do you think your fans and the people would react to this news?!"

 

"Hyung please..."

 

"No."

 

From outside the door of the CEO's office, Woohyun's hand that was about to reach the doorknob paused. He wanted to invite the CEO to the group's celebration party initially but it has now been completely forgotten. His breathing became unsteady, his eyes wavering. He forced himself not to believe what he's hearing. But he can't. It came out from Sunggyu's mouth himself. His voice is all too familiar for him to mistake it. After all, they've known each other for around 10 years. He slowly backed away from the door. Once out of the company, he quickened his pace to his car and drove to Han River. He still can't get over the conversation he overheard.

 

Sunggyu... Infinite's leader... quitting the business... It's absurd to begin with... He always said he'll be a singer until the day he dies. What is this crap he's talking about right now? As he reached Han River, he parked where it's overlooking the peaceful flowing water. He stared at it absent-mindedly... He noticed the sun slowly setting. His phone that was left on the passenger seat vibrated. An unknown number is calling. He picked up without hesitation – which he rarely does.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Hyun ah" Woohyun came back to reality. A girl's voice. A familiar voice thankfully. He breathe a sigh of relief. He thought it's one of those sasaeng fans again. "Does Sunggyu have a problem?" the girl's voice was worried. "I don't know." he just said. He doesn't want to disclose to this girl what he has heard today. "Are you sure? He's not himself lately. I'm worried." Of course she'll be worried. Which girlfriend wouldn't be worried about the well-being of their boyfriend? 

 

He doesn't want to get in between them. And even before, they've already agreed that they won't mind each other's relationship matters but with exceptions. And Woohyun knows that this matter if not for him to disclose to her but Sunggyu himself. No matter how much he wants to tell everyone, Sunggyu and him came to an agreement that whenever there is something serious that comes up, if one of them happens to know about it, the person involved should be the one to reveal it.

 

"Nuna, don't worry too much. If he has a problem, he'll probably tell you first. He doesn't want you worrying about him all the time. You should rest. You guys are promoting your new song aren't you? You must be very busy and tired. I'm sure he'll contact you soon. I'm hanging up, make sure you rest. You wouldn't want him to worry about you too." He heard a slightly inaudible "okay" before he hung up. He sighed and noticed that the sun has fully set. He still has a few hours to spare before the celebration dinner party. 

 

~7PM – 2 days after the conclusion of Infinite 3rd World Tour Encore Concert~ Han River

 

He was deep in thought when a knock suddenly came from outside. He was startled. Sunggyu was standing just outside his car. He rolled down the window slightly – just enough for Sunggyu to see his eyes – and said "You scared me!" Sunggyu ignored the comment and asked, "Let me in?"

 

Even though still surprised, Woohyun unlocked the doors and Sunggyu made his way to the passenger seat. They were just both staring the river in front of them and occasionally follow the people passing by with their eyes. For five minutes, they did that. Woohyun, not being able to take the silence, opened the radio. Sunggyu reached for the volume to be adjusted. An awkward silence hung in the air. "How did you find me?" Woohyun finally asked.

 

"I was walking around and I saw your car." 

 

Silence suffocated Woohyun. He's usually the one who enjoys silence the most out of everyone but not this time. "Hyung," he started, still focused on the front. Sunggyu turned to face him. "Nuna called."

 

"Ah really. I'll call her after her schedule." Sunggyu absentmindedly said. Another minute of silence.

 

"Is there a problem?" Woohyun probed, hoping that Sunggyu would tell him something related to him quitting.

 

"I went to Jungyeop hyung today." Sunggyu said without any emotions.

 

"What did you talk about?" Although Woohyun knew, he wants to hear it from him. Like they've agreed to since the big fight they had in the past – to be open with one another.

 

"Nothing much..."

 

Woohyun's arm rested on the card door, his hand slightly balled in a fist. To prevent it from further balling into a fist, he bit the phalange area of his index finger. It's a habit he developed and it's a habit Sunggyu knows about.

 

"Ya Nam Woohyun..." 

 

"What" He still doesn't want to meet Sunggyu's eyes.

 

"You know about it don't you. The secretary told me you came." And for the first time today, he met Sunggyu's eyes properly. They stared at each other for quite some time. Each one looking for answers through their eyes. Finally Woohyun looked away. And that's because it's one of the rare times he can't read what Sunggyu's eyes says. It's glassy as if full of hurt and yet it doesn't seem so. Sunggyu on the other hand saw that Woohyun overheard the converstation.

 

"So?" Woohyun was barely able to say it out.

 

"Please understand why I want to do it." Woohyun sensed that genuine pleading tone – something that Sunggyu rarely use. It is something he only uses for important matters. And Woohyun hates it. Because this time around, it's about him quitting. 

 

"No, I can't understand why. And I won't ever understand why." Woohyun bit his finger again to control his anger.

 

"Woohyun please... I've been through so much today. Cut me some slack will you..." Sunggyu sighed, closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose.

 

Woohyun rolled his eyes and unlocked the door. "Sure, I'll cut you some slack. I'll leave you here. You can take my car back." He left before Sunggyu could even stop him.

 

At a loss for words, Sunggyu sat at the passenger seat. Woohyun is acting immature for no reason. A flashback played on Sunggyu's mind...

 

"Hyung, at least give me a break."

 

"Sunggyu I already told you no. This will be the best time to come back. The show is the best way to help promote as well. Why quit now? We've talked about it during the Europe tour. You already agreed. Why suddenly..." 

 

"At least give it to someone else... I really need some time for me to think..." Sunggyu was trying to come up with more reasons to quit a show that he agreed on doing 6 months back. "Woohyun. Let Woohyun do it. He going to be good at it."

 

Jungyeop gave him a sympathetic look. "Why? Why suddenly quit?"

 

Sunggyu let out a frustrated groan. "I need time to reflect on what I'll be doing with my life hyung. I'm not getting any younger. I'm bound to enter the military soon. Even my relationship, I still have not properly settled it hyung..." There was desperation in the tone.

 

All Jungyeop could do was sigh. He should at least let his 'son' take some break when he really wants to. For the past few months, he observed how the smile in Sunggyu's face is slowly fading. It seems as if the energy fuel inside him is running out. The last time he saw him genuinely happy was when they were out drinking and when he revealed to him he was dating a co-idol for the first time after her became one. He remembered how Sunggyu would smile while telling him stories of how she became his girlfriend after so long. But then, nowadays, he was glum and he didn't really have a time to catch up with him now that they've debuted another boy group. 

 

After a while, Jungyeop took a seat opposite of Sunggyu. "Okay."

 

Sunggyu looked up and stared at Jungyeop. His eyes were saying, "really???"

 

"I'll let you quit. And I'll have Woohyun do it. It will be good exposure once again after his solo album last year. This opportunity could help him come back as early as next year."

 

"Thank you hyung. Really, thank you!"

 

Jungyeop just smirked at him but it faded quickly. "Sunggyu," his tone was stern again. Sunggyu frowned. "What is it again hyung?" 

 

"Your relationship... How is it going?" Even though it's like an interrogation check, there's a tone of concern. Sunggyu gaze went to the floor. "Hyung, it feels different now... I think instead of us becoming closer, it's becoming the opposite... " his tone was sad.

 

Jungyeop nodded. "That happens... Especially if the two people dating are celebrities. It's hard to make time for one another... I hope the two of you could work it out... You were so happy when you announced you were finally dating. I was genuinely happy for you."

 

Jungyeop stood up and pat Sunggyu's shoulder. "Go and rest up. I need you to be ready when Infinite finally comes back!" With a dad's proud smile, Jungyeop cheered him on, "Fighting!"

 

"Thank you hyung..."

 

~8PM – 2 days after the conclusion of Infinite 3rd World Tour Encore Concert~ Han River, Woohyun's car

 

Sunggyu's flashback got cut short when he received a call. The name register says "YC". Sunggyu felt awkward to answer the person right now. He sighed as he pocketed the phone again.

 

The phone vibrated again. "YC" He stared at his phone until it stopped vibrating and the black screen to greet him. 1 minute later, an unknown number started calling. Sunggyu frowned. It shouldn't be a sasaeng because this is a different phone – a second back-up which he uses mostly and something sasaeng fans wouldn't be able to get hold of. "Sunggyu oppa where are you?" the voice on the other line sounded irritated.

 

"At Han... Why?"

 

"Its just..." the person's voice was concerned and wavering. "Did something happen? Tell me." 

 

"Your girlfriend... She..."

 

"What about her? Did something happen to her?" Sunggyu's voice is now full of concern. "She fainted after our last schedule today. I thought you should just know..."

 

It felt as if Sunggyu's world stopped. The people walking past seemed to walk in slow motion. And he can't seem to hear the voice of the person talking to him anymore.

 

"Oppa... Oppa are you still there?" the person was concerned for him too. "Don't worry, she was taken to the hospital already. I'll just update you."

 

"[고맙다 (gomabda)] Thank you Soyou ya." Sunggyu breathe a sigh of relief before hanging up.

 

"Don't mention it oppa."

 

Sunggyu wants to rush to the hospital his girlfriend has been taken to... To see how she's doing. But how can he? It'll cause a stir for the media for sure. They've finally entered into a relationship this year after having been friends since they debuted. They're working hard to keep it a secret as per their management companies' request. They also prefer not to get too much attention. He's worried but there's nothing he could do. He got out of the car and stared at the night sky. "Bora ya, don't over-work yourself too much."

 

After being in the world tour for around 8-9 months, he and Bora didn't really have the chance to have dates. It started getting awkward for the both of them. It was way better when they were friends. He felt sorry because Bora has always been the one reaching out to him. She would send him cheerful and encouraging messages for every country stop. She would call when there's a chance to. And even during the times they are promoting new songs, she would call first. He seldom did those. He doesn't deserve her if he's going to be like this. And he felt bad. They should have stayed friends if he knew this will happen. Sunggyu went back to the car – this time seating at the driver's seat. He put the phone on speaker and called Soyou just as he was reversing. Soyou immediately answered. "Oppa wh-"

 

"Which hospital is she in?" Sunggyu should be the initiative one this time. He should make up for the time that he didn't treat Bora well. He drove towards the hospital. He doesn't care if he gets spotted by the media. He can always rely on the company to help him and cover for him. He can always say he was feeling unwell in front of the press if ever they get suspicious. Bora's smile, her pouting face, the way her eye smiles and shines... He realised he took them for granted... He should patch up the relationship that is crumbling... He should... 

 

~9.30 PM – 2 days after the conclusion of Infinite 3rd World Tour Encore Concert~ Restaurant

"Sunggyu hyung won't probably come." Hoya concluded after taking a long look at Woohyun. "He won't likely come" L agreed. For a second, Hoya and Woohyun thought he caught on. But his face was solemn and as if the sentence absentlymindedly came out from his mouth. Sungyeol took a peek at the article L was reading. "SISTAR's Bora rushed to hospital after fainting at an event"

 

"Omo." Sungyeol exclaimed. "Did Sunggyu go there?" Nobody answered him but he knows everyone assumed he must have.

 

Something else is about to make the members shocked. Dongwoo who was looking at the television suddenly frowned. "Ya Nam Woohyun. Isn't that your car?" Although the car's plate number was blurred and the condition of the car doesn't look good, Dongwoo has always been the type to recognise things. Everyone's attention went to the television which is now broadcasting a car accident.

 

"As the car sped through the road, an incoming truck that beat the red light collided with it on the intersection. It has caused a pile-up of up to 5 cars. The imported luxury car received the most damage. The police has yet to identify the owner of the car but according to witnesses, it seemed as if the owner is a K-Pop idol. According to witnesses, after the collision, the car rolled over twice, and only 1 person got out of the car before passing out. Some were already claiming it was indeed a K-pop idol. There are no fatalities reported at the moment. Except the person who was riding the luxury car, mostly everyone were reported to only have minor injuries and concussions. The victims are now receiving treatment at the hospital. "

 

"Guys," L's voice was serious. He was staring at his phone, his hands shaking. "It's trending." He looked up and stared at everyone. "There's another thing trending..." Sungyeol who was curious as ever and impatient, snatched the phone away from him and cursed. 

 

"No way. It can't be." 

 

The number 2 on the trending list is "Infinite's Leader, Kim Sunggyu Accident"

 

A new update on the news report on television confirmed what they saw on Myungsoo's phone. The reporter went, "At approximately 8.45 pm today, a car accident was reported. A 5 car pile up was also reported after the initial car accident. The owner of the luxury car involved was said to be Infinite's Nam Woohyun. However, the one driving and the casualty of the accident was said to be Infinite's Leader, Kim Sunggyu. He was rushed to the hospital and is said to be in critical condition...."

 

For the members, the rest of the report were inaudible. Nobody was moving. They can't seem to take in what they just heard...

 

No way... Infinite's Leader... Kim Sunggyu...