Waking Up To A New Day And Life

I Found You (An Infinite Kim Sunggyu Fanfiction)

Sunggyu felt a nudge on his shoulder. As he opened his eyes, blinding light made him squint as he looked up to the figure towering over him. "Wake up." 
 

Still squinting and vision still blurry, he stood up. His legs wobbled as he stood perhaps because of how he slept. He reached for the railings of the balcony to support himself up. The girl before him clicked her tongue. He took in her appearance once again. 'Who is she?' he found himself asking as he squinted his eyes to the point he resembled a hamster and started to look for answers in his brain. She started to roll her eyes and crossed her arms. "Stop daydreaming. Let's go." She reached for his hand and dragged him along. His brain was still not processing anything. 
 

It was only when she let go of his hands that all the memories came back. By the time all of yesterday's events registered, Soojung was already at the floor below. "Ya! Hurry." For the second time today, he took in her appearance. 'She looks familiar.' He thought. 'But where have I seen her before?' 
 

''Hurry up you slow-poke!" she shouted from down below, her face slowly turning irritated. She has taken the liberty to make her way down while Sunggyu 'daydreamed'. "Are you an old man?! How can you be so slow?!" she scolded once again. Sunggyu frowned. If he only remembers his name and any other information about his identity, he'll show her that she cannot just boss him around. His gut feeling tells him that he is older than her. As he made his way down, he remembered he has not asked for her name. 
 

"What's your name?" he asked as his feet reached the floor. Soojung has her attention towards the street and seemed to have not heard Sunggyu's question. "Ya." Sunggyu said as he tugged on Soojung's shirt. A look of confusion registered in Soojung's face. "Huh?"
 

"What's your name?"
 

"Oh." After a paused she said, "Soojung. Lee Soojung." After that, she looked away from him and started walking. Sunggyu knitted his eyebrows together because of her behaviour. He wanted to tell her to fix her attitude but brushed it off when he thought it must have been because it might be awkward for her – them meeting in the middle of the night and then her letting him stay with her since he has nowhere to go. And, something about her name has been bothering him as well. It felt familiar yet it doesn't. When he came back to his senses, Soojung was already almost out of sight. He sprinted to catch up with her.
 

***

Bora was staring at the window of her hospital room. She started to feel suffocated of the space. It's been less than a day since she got admitted but there's a lingering and suffocating feeling that has been bothering her. Soyou's actions were starting to get suspicious to her as well. She seems herself but she's slightly dodgy and as if she's been keeping her guard up – as if she's hiding something. She suddenly thought about how Soyou reacted to her watching the television earlier. She felt her condition was not that serious for her to react that way. She can actually get out of the hospital now but Soyou kept on insisting that the management wants her to rest. The thing is, she cannot rest. It doesn't feel like she's resting if she's in a hospital. She can't even have access to her phone or television for pete's sake. 
 

Since Soyou was not around and she's dying of boredom, she tried to fiddle with the television to make it turn on. After a while, she found the button. It to briefly show a news article. At that time, Bora pressed the channel button. She just missed the news update about her boyfriend, again. By the time she finished flipping through channels, she settled to watch Channel M. One because Dasom is currently on the show that's showing and two because there isn't any other channel that attracted her attention. 
 

***

Hoya sat up, his head throbbing with hangover pain. He was too busy massaging his head with a displeased expression that he didn't notice Dongwoo entering his room with a bowl of soup to cure his hangover. 
 

"Eat this." He said and then turned to leave. Hoya by then focused his attention on Dongwoo. He was dressed to go out. With a black cap and white mask that covers almost his whole face and a black hoodie and sleek black jeans, he seems to be paparazzi ready. "Hyung, where are you going?"
 

With no emotion, Dongwoo replied, "To the company where else. I need to help the kids. They need some rest too." Hoya missed Dongwoo's disappointed glance as he started to drink the soup.
 

Soon after, the dorm was engulfed with nothing but silence. It was piercing for Hoya. Piercing because he wasn't used to the silence. Even though only he, Dongwoo and Sunggyu currently shares this dorm, there was seldom a time that it was quiet. The emptiness started sinking in. And guilt was starting to swallow him. He felt responsible for what happened to Sunggyu somehow. Maybe because of what he said yesterday to him affected him and got him distracted. Maybe that was why he got into an accident... 
 

Flashback

Just as Woohyun left the company, Hoya made his way to the CEO's office just before he makes his way to the recording he was supposed to attend. 
 

"Woohyun. Let Woohyun do it. He going to be good at it." He overheard and got curious. He leaned in closer to the door so he can hear more clearly. 
 

"Why? Why suddenly quit?" Hoya was flabbergasted. Quit. What?!
 

He heard Sunggyu let out a frustrated groan. "I need time to reflect on what I'll be doing with my life hyung. I'm not getting any younger. I'm bound to enter the military soon. Even my relationship, I still have not properly settled it hyung..." By then, Hoya was already starting to feel anger building up. All these years and he wanted to quit? Now that they're successful than ever? Has he gone out of his mind?! He stepped back and decided that he'll need to talk to him about it... 
 

There was silence for a little while from the other side of the door. Not wanting to hear more, Hoya decided to wait for him at the lobby. He leaned against the wall and as he waited, he imagined what would it be like if Infinite were to continue as a 6 member group. It would be chaotic with no one to lead them. For years, they have been used to Sunggyu's leadership and his absence will definitely create an imbalance in the group. He sighed and stared at the ceiling. Just then, he heard footsteps. Sunggyu.
 

"Hyung" he greeted with no emotions. Sunggyu looked taken aback. "Oh, Howon ah. What brings you here?"
 

"What brings you here?" Hoya retorted.
 

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow trying to gauge if Hoya has overheard the conversation he had with the CEO just now. And Hoya's expression totally gave it away. "You have to understand." Sunggyu just said. "No hyung. I won't understand." 
 

Sunggyu massaged his temples as he sighed. "Howon, I'm tired lately. You of all people should understand. We've been living together since our trainee days. You practically know me like the back of your hand."
 

"That's right hyung. I know you that well... But for the first time I don't understand you'll go through such length..." Hoya gave him a disapproving look.
 

Sunggyu then frowned. He's starting to be lost at Hoya's words. Was he trying to say something else? "Ya! Are you trying to start a fight with me?! You're being childish."
 

"Hyung, you disappoint me." And with that he left Sunggyu who was not even able to explain himself.
 

With a sigh, Hoya started to dress. With a black mask, black snapback and black sunglasses to cover his face, he made his way to the hospital.

***

Sunggyu found himself amused by Soojung. She started skipping down the street at one point and passed through bodies of the living every so often but would abruptly stop when they reach intersections. "Are you that afraid of cars hitting you?" he asked as they stopped at an intersection with a teasing smile. Soojung retaliated with, "No, but they keep on falling for my looks. So I'm avoiding them hitting on me." It made Sunggyu sneer. She stuck out her tongue and then walked as the traffic light indicated a red light. Although starting to feel exhausted, Sunggyu followed. He has no choice after all.

***

"Myungsoo, bring Woohyun back. I'll go to the hospital" The CEO instructed. Myungsoo nodded as he got into the driver's seat. Woohyun was already seating at the passenger's seat, his face blank. Myungsoo was scared at the sight. Something happened yesterday before the accident and Woohyun definitely has something to do with it. Even though he wanted to know, he knew it wasn't the right time. Brooding silence hung in the air. Suddenly, Woohyun spoke. "Bring me to the hospital." Knowing Woohyun's character, Myungsoo silently drove towards the hospital instead of their dorm.
 

At the hospital, they saw Hoya and the CEO just outside the ICU room where Sunggyu was in. They were looking at him through the glass. The CEO noticed them. "Myungsoo, I told you to bring Woohyun back. Why are you two here?"
 

"I told him to drive me here." Woohyun said with no emotion.
 

Nobody spoke after. Everyone just stood outside and stared at the seemingly lifeless but fighting body of Sunggyu. The CEO's hand reached for the glass window. "I finally allowed him to take a rest... But I didn't expect that he'll be taking a rest like this. If I had known this will happen... I wouldn't have..."
 

At that, both Hoya's and Woohyun's ears perked up. "Rest?" Myungsoo was confused. "He wanted to quit..." the CEO started. Hoya and Woohyun were now in full attention. "Hyung, what do you mean quit?" Only Myungsoo seemed to be the one who is reacting to what the CEO was saying. 
 

"He wanted to quit and I finally let him... Because he wanted to rest... Something that I have not really let him do for the past 3 years... " At this, Myungsoo seemed to have an idea. "The program?" Myungsoo asked. The CEO just nodded. At this, both Hoya and Woohyun were taken aback. They misunderstood Sunggyu this whole while? 
 

"He wanted Woohyun to do it instead of him so that he can take a break... After so long, it was only that day that I really saw how tired Sunggyu has been. I've never really paid attention to him anymore because I thought he can finally handle himself... But I saw a Sunggyu who was lost and needed some slowing down..." Jungyeop stared at Sunggyu for a long while before finally continuing "Maybe if I have seen his struggles earlier, this wouldn't have happened..."
 

Myungsoo pat the CEO's shoulder while the two stood there frozen. They've misunderstood this whole while. Because they didn't stay throughout, they only got bits and pieces and it resulted to a misunderstanding... A misunderstanding that may have caused the whole incident.
 

The guilt in their hearts doubled... They felt more apologetic and regretful. In their minds, both were saying "Hyung... You have to stay strong... I'll make it up to you so please wake up soon..."
 

***

After handling most of the matters regarding the press, Sungyeol drove to the hospital. He reached the ICU area and stood outside a glass window. He stared and thought to himself... "Why... Why..."
 

He felt as if the world is playing a cruel joke on him... "Why do I have to be the one to experience this... Why do I feel like I'm slowly losing people I treasure..." Sunggyu understood him the most out of all the members. Despite having the same aged friends, Sunggyu was the one he has always shared all his worries to. Now he felt like there was nobody who's going to be there for him. As he stared at the seemingly sleeping being, he found himself leaning against the wall and mindlessly hitting his head against it. He started feeling all choked up. He bit his lip to prevent himself from crying. He rarely cries but this is one of the few occasions he can't help but to do so. He let a tear run down his cheek and sniffed so that he wouldn't end up crying and bawling like a baby. He stood and reached for the glass window. "I'll come back again soon." He said before leaving without turning his back.

***

"Eonni, where are you?" Soojung screamed at the top of her lungs as she walked down an unfamiliar empty street. The whole while, Sunggyu kept on observing his surroundings. He was absentmindedly following Soojung now since he basically does not have any idea of his identity. With hands on his pockets, he stared at Soojung who was frantically searching for somebody. He believe it was her ghost friend. He faintly remembers her blabbering about her as they walked the streets... Which by the way, they have walked to so many times. "Ya! I'm tired of walking around in circles." 
 

Soojung glared at him. "If you don't want me to help you, then get lost. Yejeong eonni is the only one I know who may be able to help us..." 
 

At this, Sunggyu's eyebrow rise as if it caught his attention. "How so?" Soojung was focused on searching the alleys but still answered, "Because she was the one who found me when I became like this." Sunggyu frowned. He can't quite see the logic. Earlier, Soojung told him everything about her ghost friend. And from what she told him,, it seemed that her ghost friend does not have an idea how her aura is different from well, the ghosts.
 

Down the street, a store had a television broadcasting news updates. Neither of them noticed the pictures that were displayed side by side as they passed it – his and hers.
 

"How much more are we going to walk around here? Can't we look elsewhere?" Sunggyu asked, getting more and more impatient. Soojung didn't so much respond and just continued to walk another lap around the neighbourhood. Sunggyu rolled his eyes and sighed in annoyance. He looked at the sky and it seemed so calm. And... Such a perfect weather to sleep. He spotted a small park and settled in a bench there. If Soojung will go another lap, she'll likely come back. As his eyelids grew heavy, he scooted in the park bench until he was comfortable and started to fall asleep.
 

But before he completely fell into deep slumber, he heard a scream coming from a distance, from a voice that almost seemed familiar. And then his eyes flew open. The voice belonged to Soojung. Dashing to the direction where the scream came from, he followed the road – which is now familiar to him given the amount of times they circled through it. He saw a figure on the ground in a secluded street who crouched in a fetal position. As he got closer, he saw that she was shaking and sobbing. He crouched beside her and held her by her shoulders in attempt to calm her down. Soojung who didn't know it was Sunggyu, started thrashing about and forcefully trying to get away from his grip as she continued to sob. Sunggyu let go of her for a second before facing her and shouting her name as he once again gripped both her shoulders. "Soojung, it's me!" Soojung didn't seem to hear him. She started to throw her fist towards him. He almost got hit if not for his quick reflexes. Although startled and confused himself, he collected himself and grabbed her by the wrists this time. It seemed futile for Soojung kept fighting. "Soojung, get back to your senses! I'm not here to hurt you..." His last resort to calm her down was to hug her – which is an unexpected move for him. He himself was surprised. He barely know this person but he was hugging her. She was still trying to get him off her as she was still violently thrashing about. She was hitting his ribs but he took the blows. But Soojung seemed to be calming down at his unexpected actions. She eventually stopped hitting him when she seemed to be running out of energy. But she continued to sob. "Shhhh" he said as he pat her head. "I-i-i..." she stammered and attempted to talk but Sunggyu just told her to keep quiet. He doesn't know how she ended up this way but explanations can come later.

***

Soyou stood in front of Bora's hospital room door. She held the door knob but released her grip soon after. Her wavering eyes and uneasy expression are what's keeping her from entering.
 

"You have to let her know, you know. She can't be the only one not knowing. She'll look like a fool." A voice called to her. Surprisingly, it's not from her head but rather from a man who was leaning against the wall when she turned around. He gave her a lazy acknowledging gesture before pushing himself off the wall and sauntered towards the door. As if by instinct, Soyou held the door knob. She looked at him dead in the eye. "And if I don't, will you tell her?" she challenged. He stared back and simply said "Yes." As he grabbed her hand that still grips the door handle. "I'm not going to let you." She said. "Why? You want revenge? Because of what happened with the both of you in the past?" He saw her face twitch. "Don't step over the line." She warned. "Why? Is my reason right?" his expression curious and almost mocking. "Ya!"
 

Not bothered by her attempt to scold him, he just said "She needs to know by today. She deserves to know. " He turned the doorknob for her. Without breaking gazes, the door flew wide open for Bora to see the spectacle. 
 

Soyou and Woohyun, didn't break their stare-off until Bora ran over to greet both of them. "What is this?" she asked with her eyebrow raised while she smirked. The two broke their gazes. Soyou gave her a warm smile. In Woohyun's eyes it looked like she has this guilty smile. Woohyun bit his lips. "Noona," he greeted as he waved his hand, attempting an aegyo greeting. Soyou rolled her eyes. Bora's lip curled upwards. But Woohyun's face started to look serious. Bora noticed the change and also deemed it unusual for Woohyun to be visiting her. Her heart suddenly started beating faster. Something does not feel right.
 

Soyou offered for the three of them to sit. She didn't want her collapsing to the floor when she finally hears the news. She wasn't ready to break it to her but Woohyun's sudden appearance called for it. She didn't want to strain her relationship with Bora for the second time.
 

"Eonni." Soyou's tone was stern. "We have something to tell you."
 

"Sunggyu hyung -" Woohyun started but was cut off again by Soyou who was giving him a deathly stare. "Sunggyu oppa, it has something to do with Sunggyu oppa." She bit her lips. She was still trying to look for words – words that may hopefully break the news in a less painful way. Bora started to feel the nervousness in her bones. 
 

"What. What about him?" Bora's eyes were starting to become shaky. She looked at Woohyun straight in the eye for answers and he responded by looking away. She then turned to Soyou who looked at her with eyes full of worry. She looked away from her. Something must have happened to her boyfriend. 
 

"Tell me. Both of you just tell me." 
 

Woohyun finally looked at her but then his gaze went towards the television. He abruptly stood and Bora followed him with her eyes. He switched the channel until it was a channel broadcasting news updates. Woohyun waited by the television. Bora started to feel irritated because no one was giving her answers. She stood up enraged and said "Can anyone just please -" she was cut off by Soyou who held her hand – tightly.
 

She then heard from the television, "Hallyu K-Pop Star Leader of the Group Infinite, Kim Sunggyu has been said to be transferred to the ICU after the surgery. There were no further details our sources were able to uncover except that he may not be able to wake up anytime soon. " Bora's breathing became shallowed as she turned towards the television. She saw a video footage of a car wreckage and the voiceover explained "This was the place where the top idol was found lying about 10 steps away from the wreckage. According to analysts, from the wreckage itself, it was a miracle that the idol was still able to gain consciousness and haul himself out of the car... " the rest of the words became muffled as she collapsed to the floor and tears started falling. Soyou who was still gripping her hand crouched beside her and hugged her by the side. Woohyun turned the television off. He walked over and saw Soyou giving him an I-swear-I'll-kill-you-soon look. Woohyun brushed it off and helped her get Bora to sit in a chair. Suddenly, Bora grabbed him by the collar. "Where is he? How is he? He's not dead right? They said ICU. He's doing well right?" he started getting bombarded by more questions. He gave Soyou a you-should-help-me-here look. Soyou gave him a you-were-the-one-who-insisted-it look. Woohyun started to panic so Soyou had to step in – not before she rolled his eyes at him and not before he can sneer at her. Soyou grabbed her delirious friend by the shoulders and shook her as she called her name.

***

Sunggyu had to support Soojung to get up. She seemed to have lost all the strength in her body. Her breathing was unstable. He continued to hold her by her shoulders until they reached the park. He was worried but he knew it's best to let her calm down before he tries to ask questions as to how she ended up in a fit. They found a bench and Soojung collapsed there. She took a sharp intake of breath before slouching as she exhaled. Sunggyu stared, with worried eyes.
 

"Are you okay now?" Sunggyu asked, his eyebrows almost knitted together. 
 

"Uh?" Soojung looked at him.
 

"Uh." She noticed his expression.
 

"Yes." Was the only word she can utter.
 

"I don't think so..." Sunggyu countered. Soojung lowered her eyes to the floor. Her breathing started becoming laboured, as if she's going to break down again. Sunggyu started to make an effort to sit nearer to her in case she indeed does break down. But she started, "I almost died..." Sungyu was confused. "I almost died for real this time..." She continued. Not breaking her gaze on the floor, a single tear fell from her eyes. She was all choked up. "What do you mean?"
 

"I felt like I was falling into pieces... Every inch of my body... It felt as if I'm crumbling apart..." She murmured as she hugged herself. "And then I heard voices... Calling out to me... And then I got shocked by electricity. It hurt. And then flashes of memories came back..."
 

This time she looked at him dead in the eye. "I saw how I got into an accident once again. It was horrible..." She pointed to her heart, "For a moment, this stopped... For a moment I could've actually died..." and another tear fell. Sunggyu couldn't help himself. He reached out for her and hugged her. "It's okay. You're okay now..." He can't help himself. This girl, although strong looking is actually fragile. She makes him feel obligated to protect her. At Sunggyu's gesture, Soojung can't help her tears from free-falling. She seldom had company and having him around felt like she found comfort and relief.
 

For a few minutes, the two of them stayed that way. From a distance, a faint grey but almost darkened grey glow observed from a distance. She smiled at the sight and then disappeared. 
 

By sundown, the two of them have long forgotten about their agenda. They found themselves lost in the streets of Myeongdong. Sunggyu was determined to make her forget about today. Soojung seemed to share the same sentiment as she agreed to explore the still bustling shopping street. In actuality, she wanted to forget how she broke down in front of him. Her cheeks started to blush. She felt like it's a first for her – that somehow when she was alive, something like this has never happened to her. 
 

As they walked, Sunggyu started pointing out clothing shops and started teasing her about her fashion sense. She countered by sticking out her tongue and feigning anger. She was actually having fun with all the teasing. He's the first person or soul to mingle with her, well, as far as her memory serves her. She would then pick at his fashion style as well but end up failing when he would point out other people who have the same style as him. Current trend he'd say. He looked cool actually, Soojung would say in her mind. And there is no way she'd say that out loud. No way. 
 

They passed by snacks in which both made their mouths water and then when they would pass skincare and make up stores, one or the other would ask whether the other was wearing makeup before they got into their accidents because apparently their skin conditions were great and then they would unconsciously compliment each others' faces. And when the realization sinks in, both had to look away from each other to hide the blushes in their cheeks. 
 

PART II: For What It's Worth...
 

It was as if cold water has been splashed onto Woohyun. He stared on as he took in the sight. The company car, is a mess. His manager, seethe with anger but said nothing. He simply grunted and made his way to collect some rags, to wipe of the remnants of the anger of the fans. Broken egg shells lay on the ground. Fans had hurtled raw eggs as a declaration, a protest, that they don't want him to replace Sunggyu's place in the programme he was a regular in. Although it was not a huge number – as per the company's estimate that is – he cannot help but feel guilty. But for the sake of keeping 'face', he'd trudge on that path no matter how hurtful. It's his own punishment for himself. He thought he genuinely deserved it.
 

From the window above, stood the CEO, sighing as he watched Woohyun grab a rag from his manager who had emerged a few moments ago and started to wipe the already drying yolks from the car windows and windshield. He resented himself – for not being able to be of any help at all. He'd suggested a week ago, a few days after their trip to the police station, that he could take Sunggyu's MC position temporarily because he was starting to lose the twinkle in his eyes. He thought some work would distract him. No hesitations, he agreed. He had been taken aback by how he easily accepted the offer. And now he saw why. Woohyun wanted to punish himself. For some unspoken reason, he's using this work to punish himself. For what, he does not know... He was not sure... He continued to stare on until he saw him board the car and it vanished as it turned into a corner.
 

***

It had been a week. And yet, Sunggyu's hasn't regained a memory. Soojung stared at him with a scowl plastered on her face. They were at her residence – the little balcony overlooking the site where both of their accidents had occurred. It's about time he remembers something. It took her only two days. 
 

A click of tongue and then a voice purred. "It's different for everyone Jung-ie." 
 

Sunggyu was wide-eyed. He thought he was hearing things but as he noticed Soojung perk up, he knew that it must be the friend that Soojung desperately looked for the whole week. Soojung was expecting Yejeong to finally show up.

A figure materialized before them. He slightly gawked as a ghost appeared – she was wearing a black flowing dress. She almost resembled a grim reaper. She looked like she's in her late twenties. Her face was beauty and her presence demand elegance. He noticed the glow that has been emanating from her. It was ash grey. But he can't help but seem to notice a slight darker glow beneath that ash grey color as if she has been trying to hide it. 
 

"Hello," her voice was silky and alluring as she greeted Sunggyu, her stare piercing through him. Unconsciously, he shuddered. Did she notice, he didn't bother finding out. Something about her unsettled him. Soojung did not so much look at her but she seemed to be suddenly in guard – prepared to strike if need be. With an irritated voice Soojung said, "Alina, stop using others' voices." 
 

The ghost disregarded her and sauntered towards Sunggyu, a playful smile on her lips. "I know who you are my dear." She said to him as the distance of their faces decreased. Soojung eyed her, clenched her fists as she said, "You liar. You told me that before but you didn't even tell me anything. Don't make him keep his hopes up." 
 

At this Alina faced her, her eyes twinkling and coated with deceit. As she slowly stalked towards her, another being materialized before them. She stood in between Alina and Soojung. 
 

"Alina." Her voice was demanding and grave. Alina simply gave a smirk as she backed away. Sunggyu gave the new visitor a look-over. She, like Alina had an ash-grey glow to her but it was the off-white glow that seems to emanate from her was what caught Sunggyu's attention. Then looking at her features, he recognized her. Soojung had described her appearance. Her ghost friend, Yejeong. "I already told you to step away from this." Yejeong warned. 
 

"Oh but it's so fun to see everyone on edge," she crooned, her eyes every so often flicking to Sunggyu's direction "and especially when we've got someone so special right here." She clicked her tongue as she took one last look at Sunggyu. She said, "I'll see you soon." before vanishing into thin air.
 

At her disappearance, Sunggyu found himself breathing again or at least felt that he was breathing again. Soojung groaned. "Why is that here?" 
 

Yejeong turned to face Soojung. "And why did you only appear now?!" complained Soojung. Yejeong gave a deep sigh in response. Crossing her arms, tapping her foot, Soojung seemed to demand an explanation, not caring who is older and who is younger. Yejeong rolled her eyes at her and leaned against the balcony railings. Her attention was to Sunggyu. She seemed to be taking in his appearance. 
 

Sunggyu gave Soojung a 'why-is-she-staring-at-me' look. Soojung gave him a nonchalant shrug. After a few more moments of silence, Yejeong sat down and leaned her head against the railing. Sunggyu remained standing and so did Soojung, her face turning more sour by the second. 
 

"I've been looking for her. I heard she's been causing trouble." Not a total lie.
 

At this, Soojung rolled her eyes "No one can control that crazy woman." She then noticed Sunggyu who was suddenly so still. "Hey are you okay?" 
 

Sunggyu felt as if his brain suddenly went numb. All his bodily functions seemed to shut down as well. And then suddenly, a wave of pain came crashing through him, especially in his head. He dropped to the floor as he pulled out his hair in the process in an attempt to mask the pain. Soojung and Yejeong immediately dropped to his side with worried looks. "Ya! What's happening to you?!" Soojung said, her voice coated with genuine worry. Yejeong frowned at the sight before her. 
 

At last the wave of pain seemed to die down. And it was indicated by Sunggyu's sharp intake of breath. He finally let go of his hair and seemed coughed every so often. Soojung unconsciously patted his back.

"Sunggyu..." He uttered, his energy drained. Soojung didn't seem to hear and asked him to repeat. "Kim... Kim Sunggyu..." 
 

"Kim Sunggyu?"
 

"Mhm, my name..." he muttered before passing out. 
 

"Ya... Ya... Ya!" Soojung exclaimed as she tried to nudge him awake. Yejeong who seemed to have been still even when Sunggyu passed out suddenly stood and declared, "I'll come back soon." Before disappearing. She left Sunggyu passed out and drained of color and Soojung who was frantic and no idea what to do. 
 

"Ya, Sunggyu-ssi..."

***

"What were you thinking?!" a voice boomed in anger as she materialized before another being who was absent-mindedly picking her nails in a forgotten warehouse. 
 

"What?" She asked innocently.
 

"Don't you dare lie to me Alina! I know you are the one who did that to him!"
 

She shrugged. "I just thought it's about time."
 

Yejeong rolled her eyes and said, "Just because we are not ordinary beings does not mean we can do whatever we want. We can't meddle with their problem!" 
 

Alina cackled. "Look who's talking... Who made that poor girl that way anyway?" She eyed Yejeong. Yejeong swallowed and looked away. Alina smirked. 
 

"You played a part in it too!" Yejeong accused. Alina's eyes narrowed although her smirk was still plastered in her face. "Who wanted me to help then? Isn't it you my dear?" Alina crooned. She stalked towards her with elegant calm. Yejeong hissed. Alina stopped and with eyebrow's slightly raised she said, "My dear, our bargain was very clear. I save her from death but you will allow me to do however I wish – with exceptions of course. As per your request." Alina gestured towards Yejeong.
 

Yejeong was seething with anger. It wasn't right. She has a point. She started everything anyway. Why did she have to empathize with that child when she was supposed to die? Why did she stupidly make a bargain with the guardian of the Underworld? But, Alina is not supposed to meddle with those two.
 

"But there are rules we have to follow." Yejeong complained.
 

"Yes I am aware of that. But I did not break them." She gave Yejeong a smug look. Yejeong looked taken aback. Alina continued, "My dear, if we tell them who they were verbally, then that's breaking the rules. But, I simply made his head remember." 
 

Yejeong's brows knitted together. Alina simply raised her eyebrows assessing the other being's emotions. "Don't you like how everything is going my dear? I'm not usually generous... Besides, the girl's dying. If she doesn't figure out who she is by that time, she'll vanish from this realm and her body soulless. I do treasure all souls you know. And besides, I don't want to lose two souls in the process. For what it's worth, I suggest you try to help them whether it's by bending rules or what." She gave Yejeong and irked look. 
 

It took Yejeong a few seconds to process what she had heard. Wide-eyed she said, "Don't tell me when she dies, he will too..."
 

Alina grinned.
 

"How?" Yejeong demanded.
 

Alina flashed a victorious smile. "I seemed to have forgotten I don't owe you any answers. Go figure it out on your own. Til we meet again" And then she vanished to the realm where Yejeong could not access.
 

"Wait!" But it was too late.

 

----------
First, I want to apologize because it took me a long time to update this story. One of the main reasons was because I got caught up with life. There were things that needed more attention and I honestly thought not many would be interested in reading this story because it's not the usual cheesy fanfic romance and deals with heavier matters. Basically, a lot of things were going on and the world is still building. It may be slow for some that's why I thought of not continuing. But months after, even though there's only a few comments, it kind of motivated me to write again.

So, I dedicate this update to those who left a comment and voted for the story. It means a lot to me because I use it a gauge to see whether I should continue a story or not.

So please if you'd like to read more, let me know in the comments or by voting for the story ^^