A Love Transcending Time

I Found You (An Infinite Kim Sunggyu Fanfiction)

Disclaimer: The contents of this chapter take reference from historical events that happened during the Joseon Dynasty. While some of the content are facts, most of the events that occur in this writing, are based on the writer’s imagination only. I would add * which will denote some explanations regarding the history part. You can ignore it if you want.

 

Also, this chapter would mostly deal with Alina’s back story. She, who I intended to be just a side character only, suddenly became key to this story. As I got to know her character, I decided it would be a waste if the readers won’t get to know her past. Please be warned there will be no SG and Babysoul scenes in this chapter.

 

Neither here, nor there

 

Alina took herself to the void – the only place where the aids of both worlds (Heaven and Underworld) can freely access. She did not want to go back to her post at the Underworld. It was not a pretty place. Once a guardian takes herself to the void, no one can track him/her. Even if two guardians are to be in the void, they will hardly ever meet each other. However, it was an entirely different case between a soul and a guardian.

 

“Old friend. It’s been a while.” She smiled bitterly. This place witnessed her misery.

 

The last time she was there – the vast darkness, she became a guardian – which was two and a half centuries ago. Coming back here after a long while, memories of the past came to her. The past, when she was still living. The painful past of hers…

 

Year June 1762, Reign of King Yeongjo 21st King of Joseon, a few months before the death of Crown Prince Sado

 

Dawning a silk hanbok – the jeogori (upper garment) in white colour and the chima(skirt) stunning deep blue, a lady – strolls through the market, her nobi (slave) following suit. Her face was small and v-shaped, her skin porcelain. Her black braided hair reached her waist. She had natural round eyebrows and double eyelid kind eyes, the color of her iris light brown. Her nose was narrow and pointed. Her lips were thin and tinted light rouge color. In short, she was the definition of beautiful during the era. But no one noticed her beauty right now because she also wore a jangot (cloth draped on the noble women’s heads to hide their faces to the men).

 

It was a busy day today. Here and there she would hear haggling yangbans(nobles). Desperate to make at least some money, yangmins (common people) would take whatever deal they could. She turned to her nobi, “Sometimes I really want to hit these haggling bastards in the head.”

 

Her nobi shushed her, “Agasshi, you shouldn’t use such foul language out in the open.”

 

The lady just rolled her eyes and continued, “These people already have so little. I hope the heavens punish them for it.” She eyed the haggling yangbans in disgust. Somebody tsked behind her. “You should listen to Jini you know.” She turned, her eyebrows raised. “What brings you here Gyujeong orabeoni (older brother/ a guy older than the girl)?”

 

“My my, Jinkyung, you are feeling feisty today huh?” he teased. She made a face. He smiled. And as he smiled, the irises of his eyes almost disappeared. His eyes were as if only tiny slits were sliced open to help him see. Jinkyung for it but what she doesn’t tell him was that she fell for those eyes – those small eyes of his along with defined tall nose and his thin lips… When he smiles, it brings butterflies in her stomach to a frenzy. She doesn’t tell him that and doesn’t let her face give it away either because she knows their parents will never allow them to be together. She worked a poker face as his smirk was still plastered in his face, his face that was small and narrow yet complimented his features. She thanked the jangot she wore today to hide the blush that has settled on her cheeks.

 

He was wearing his favourite grey durumagi (a type of overcoat for hanbok) today. It was silk but it was so over worn that it resembles a commoner’s. He seems to be attempting to downplay his status as a yangban. His hair was pulled into a topknot and secured with a manggeon (headband to keep hair in place) but he wore a gat (hat) with bead strings that still tell that his status.

 

“I’m heading to Princess Hwawan’s* apartments.” He replied to the question finally.

 

Jinkyung’s attention was snared. “Why?”

 

“My father asked me to be there.”

 

“Why?”

 

He flicked her forehead. “So many questions.” She snarled at him. His hands went behind his back and studied her face. She stared back and said, “I’m asking because I’m supposed to be there today too.”

 

Gyujeong’s eyebrow shot up. “Why?”

 

“Jini-ah, hit him for me.”

 

Her slave giggled shyly but did nothing. She groaned.

 

“Since you are also going there then we should walk there together.” Gyujeong offered.

 

***

Princess Hwawan’s Apartments

 

“Minister Kim’s son and Minister Seo’s daughter has arrived.” a servant announced.

 

“Let them in.”

 

The two of them went in, gave their greeting bows. “You are here.”

 

Before the two of them, Princess Hwawan – the third daughter of King Yeongjo to his concubine Royal Noble Consort Yeong of the Lee clan – sat a meter away. She turned to Gyujeong “Minister Kim spoke very fondly of you.” Gyujeong nodded slightly. The princess was wary of him as if she did not trust him. “I am not very fond of So-rons because I am a No-ron* supporter myself but I am told that you are very knowledgeable.”

 

*The No-ron faction is one of the factions that was formed from the divide of the Westerner faction. The divide happened in late 17th century when one of the powerful Westerner politicians Song Si-yeol took the side of the older Westerners who did not want Kim Ik-hun (the figure who brought down the power of the Southerners – another political faction in Joseon) to be punished. The other faction that was formed was So-ron (the younger westerners who wanted Kim Ik-hun to be punished). During this era, the King favoured the No-ron faction and even his queens and his favourite daughter Princess Hwawan.

 

“My servant would lead you to my son’s quarters. I hope you can teach him well.” And with that Gyujeong was out of the room – off to the quarters of her adopted son. The Princess then turned to Jinkyung. Her facial expression changed. He seemed much more upbeat.

 

“Minister Seo’s daughter, Seo Jinkyung.” She regarded. “You are already nineteen and yet still not married. How odd that Minister Seo still has not given your hand away.”

 

“You are beautiful. Many could have easily taken your hand.” The princess shook her head. “Sometimes, I do not know how the minister thinks.”

 

Jinkyung did not know how to respond so she remained silent.

 

The princess continued, “Anyway, I asked for you today because I heard you sew.”

 

“Yes I do, princess.”

 

“And I heard that you make exceptional dresses.”

 

“That’s quite an exaggeration, my lady. It is only a hobby.”

 

“Ah, but I have seen your work. And I am quite satisfied. I want you to make a dress for me. I will enter the palace soon to greet my father. I want a work of yours.”

 

She remembered what her father had told her before she left their home, “What she asks of you, make sure you obey. We must keep our relations with the royal family stable. Especially the princess and the king have very good relations.”

 

And so being a filial daughter, she said “I will see to it that you will wear the finest dress I can sew.”

***

End of March 1962 Yushi (time between 5 to 7pm), Joseon Period

 

Seo Jinkyung, the daughter of Minister Seo of the No-ron faction of the Westerners, trudged through the busy market to make her way to Princess Hwawan’s apartments.

 

“Jini, make sure the dress does not get any dirt.”

 

“Yes, agasshi.”

 

The princess loved the first dress she made for her and ordered another. She gushed, “Father complimented the dress as we walked around the gardens that day. He said he forgot about his worries for at least a while. I am planning of visiting again so I want you to make me another dress.”

 

She had just entered the apartments, the dress in hand, her slave left outside the door, when she was forcefully taken by the arm of a stranger to a dark corner near the entrance. A hand covered instantly. Panicking, she desperately tried to get free from the grip of the stranger. But he overpowered her. Suddenly, he whispered “Shh, Jinkyung. Calm down. It’s just me, Gyujeong.” Her shoulders relaxed. Slowly, he loosened his grip and took his hand off .

 

“You shouldn’t go there right now.” He warned.

 

“Why? Is something happening?”

 

He merely nodded. Just then angry shouts could be heard from the Princess’ quarters. She was swearing, Jinkyung realized. She was alarmed and attempted to run towards the quarters but Gyujeong’s grip on her arm once again tightened. His eyes were worried.

 

“The crown prince is in there.” *

 

*It was said that in March of 1762, Crown Prince Sado had started to stalk his sister out of jealousy because of her close relationship with her father – something that the Crown Prince was denied of. Due to his said mental illness wherein he would have bouts of insanity – killing his eunuchs and court ladies or them before killing them, the King has been very displeased with him. It was then said that the stalking led to attempts to be intimate with his own sister.

 

Jinkyung froze in her place. The crown prince. She heard stories of his horrible acts – going on a murder rampage during instances of insanity and court ladies when they displease him. She would hear it from the commoners who heard the stories from palace maids. It was all said in hushed tones because they fear for their life. Speaking ill of a royal can result to punishments and even death. At first she thought it was a made-up story. But once, she heard it straight from her father’s mouth – when she didn’t mean to eavesdrop – as he conversed with another minister in their house.

 

“The prince is getting out of hand. He’s been killing his eunuchs again lately. He’s even burning new silk clothing to offer to a spirit!” the minister complained to her father.

 

Her father sighed deeply. “His insanity is something we cannot do something about. He will not stop until he dies. The king…” there was a long pause before he continued, “The prime minister has already talked to him about it. But the king, however enraged he is at his son, he still has not resorted to punishing him…”

 

“The king’s reputation is starting to get tainted because of his son’s antics. The blame will fall on us sooner or later if we don’t stop the crown prince. We might lose the king’s support.”

 

“The prince is the crown prince. If he was an ordinary prince, it would be easy to send him far away. And the So-rons, despite the prince’s insanity, are backing him, hoping that he can be their puppet king.” *

 

*The Crown Prince grew up away from his birth mother at a very early age and sent away to live in a house quite far from the King and his mother. He was raised by a nanny who was actually the nanny of the late King Gyeongjong (the predecessor of King Yeongjo and the Daughter of King Sukjong and Royal Noble Consort Jang – Jang Hee-bin – of the Indong Jang clan). King Gyeongjong was supported by the So-ron faction, ruling political party during his reign. The Crown Prince was given negative view of the No-ron faction while a good impression was instilled in him with regards to the So-ron faction. In 1749, when he ruled as regent due to the ill health of the King, he was noted to have spoken with the voice of the So-ron faction thus inciting the fact that the So-ron faction supported him.

 

Jinkyung wanted to listen more but she heard footsteps approaching so she had to leave.

 

“Why is he here?” she found herself saying.

 

“I don’t know. But whatever it is, we shouldn’t mess with the business of the royal family.”

 

“The princess could be in danger.”

 

Gyujeong looked away in understanding. “Still, we should let them be.”

 

Something in her snapped. “Once a So-ron. Always a So-ron.” It was laced with disgust. Gyujeong looked hurt. He knew what she was trying to imply. He is letting it happen because of his father’s faction, because he is supporting it. But it was not true. His father was a minister of the So-ron faction. He doesn’t like to meddle with the politics but he knew things. He knew that they were supporting the crown prince despite being deemed unfit to rule. He was only trying to protect her because he cares for her safety.

 

He knew the stories of course. And he hated how his father still supported the idea of installing him a king in future despite his condition. It irked him. It was one of the two reasons he wished he was born a No-ron. The other reason stood before him. Since childhood, this girl who was four years younger than him lit up his life. He was always confined in his home studying. When he was allowed to take trips out, he would run to the hills overlooking the capital. He would sit by the old oak tree and just breathe in the fresh air. He was twelve when he first met her. She ran away from home and seek refuge in the hills. She was crying then.

 

“Are you alright?” he asked when she found her there leaning against the oak tree – her tears freshly dried. “Wh-who are you?” fear was in her eyes.

 

“Don’t be scared. I’m just another kid seeking refuge in this old oak tree.”

 

She was silently regarding him. At last, she looked away and tucked her legs to her chest. He walked towards her and as he came closer, he saw how beautiful she was despite the tears. He sat beside her and said, “You can tell me what made you upset. I’m a good listener. And I don’t go around telling other people what I hear too.”

 

She sneezed on her skirt. “My mom passed away.”

 

He was taken aback. “I-I’m sorry to hear about that.”

 

And then there friendship started. They would meet there at least once a week. They would share stories. They would play and make fun of each other. His life lit up. Both eventually found out their families were from different factions. They both agreed that it was absurd to even have government factions. They both agreed that their lives were difficult as daughter and son of ministers. It wasn’t until Jinkyung turned fourteen that their meetings at the old oak tree stopped. She said then, “My father wanted to marry me off.”

 

By then he had already fallen for her. But he did not confess his feelings because he knew where their families would stand. He was not even sure if Jinkyung had the same feelings as him. He wanted to tell her then what he felt for her but instead he said, “So, are you going to get married?”

 

She didn’t look at him and just observed the birds flying over the capital. After a long while, she breathed out, “I said I didn’t want to. We had a huge fight about it.” A sigh of relief.

 

“That’s right, you shouldn’t get married. Nobody will be able to stand your attitude.” Except me, he thought.

 

She hit him in the head then “Aah, that hurts.” She frowned. “You’re too much.” And she ran off. He ran after her, grabbed her by the arms. “It was a joke. I didn’t mean it.”

 

Little did Gyujeong know that Jinkyung got hurt because she liked him. She fell for his looks but it was his personality that made her fall in love with him. She fought with her father to cancel any marriage plans he had in mind. If she won’t be able to marry him, she’d rather grow old alone instead. Her father, who treasured her dearly didn’t want his only daughter to hate him for life and so he let her be. She did not have the courage to tell him her feelings though because she can’t gauge if he feels something for her as well. Both of them were so good at hiding their feelings. It was only when it was too late when both knew of their own feelings.

 

That night, Crown Prince Sado ran away through the window of Princess Hwawan’s apartments. The princess was hysteric, shouting all the profanities she knew. Princess Hwawan did not take in any visitors that day and she was instructed to leave the clothing there instead. After leaving the clothing, she left for home, ignoring Gyujeong’s offer to take her home.

 

The next time she met Princess Hwawan was in the month of May. She was not herself anymore. She was constantly on the guard. She had several men stationed outside her apartments. Jinkyung heard from the commoners that the crown prince attempted to be intimate with his very own sister. She had heard her infuriated father curse him as he got off his palanquin one night. The crown prince was getting worse.

 

She met Gyujeong who was on his way back along the way in the Princess’s apartment courtyard. Since the incident in March, they do not talk much. She stopped to greet him but he did not even regard her although he clearly saw her. She regretted the words that came out of during the incident in March. The moment she reached her home, it hit her. She wanted to make up with him but her pride does not let her so.

 

“Orabeoni.” She spoke, a pitch higher than her usual tone. He did not stop walking away from her. “Gyujeong orabeoni.” He continued walking. Finally, her pride was no more than a speck of dust. She doesn’t care anymore. Throw away that pride, she thought. She will not be able to live anymore if he leaves her life. Jinkyung bit her lip. She ran towards him… and hugged him from the back.

 

“Don’t be like this please. I’m sorry for what I said back then. I was wrong. You’re the closest person I have in the world. Please. I don’t want to lose you Orabeoni.”

 

Gyujeong held her hands, pried them open gently. He turned to her, his hand still holding hers. “You were right with what you said though. I was born a Soron and I will always be a Soron.” He looked distraught. “Even if I say I that I’ve liked you for a long time, since I am a Soron, nothing will change. Our families belong to different factions. They would not allow it…” He dropped her hands then. He realized what had come out from his mouth and said, “Pretend you never hear what I said… I should go now.” He turned to leave.

 

Jinkyung couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Gyujeong, the man she liked for a long time now, also liked her back. “Orabeoni-”

 

“Don’t say anything.” His jaw tightened. He still could not believe a confession came out from his mouth. He did not know what came over him for him to spill it.

 

“Orabeoni, I also liked you for a long time now.” She breathed and walked towards him and faced him. Her eyes softened and reached for his face. For a moment, they stared at each other, not caring if there were eyes watching, not caring where they stood. It was almost perfect. But a piercing shriek got them both out of the trance.

 

Jinkyung’s eyes widened, “The princess.” There were no guards stationed at the Princess’ apartments at this moment. They were sent out for some other errand. She ran towards her quarters.

 

“Jinkyung, don’t go!”

 

He ran after her.

 

It was a sight to behold when Jinkyung reached the princess’ quarters. Servants lay dead in a pool of blood. Crown Prince Sado had his back facing her– enraged and deranged he held a bloodied sword. The princess was at the corner whimpering in fear.

 

“You wench. How dare you tell father I tried to you?!” He stalked towards her which resulted in more whimpering. “The feeling was mutual wasn’t it?” he laughed maniacally.

 

“Crazy bastard. You should die.” The princess spat out. The crown prince went berserk and started kicking furniture.

 

The princess cowered in fear. But then she spotted Jinkyung. A flicker of hope registered in her face. “Jinkyung, run and ask for help!”

 

The crown prince turned. And he saw this beautiful shaking girl. His mouth twitched and his lips. “My my my. You didn’t tell me you have such beautiful servant. Come here and let me get a taste of you.” Jinkyung backed up slowly. This was the crown prince? He was nothing but a lunatic and -crazed maniac bastard.

 

Gyujeong caught up with her. He took Jinkyung by the arm and had her hide behind his back. “Crown Prince.” He addressed, as calmly as he could.

 

“And who is this fellow?” the crown prince frowned and turned to his sister. The princess was just silent.

 

“Crown prince, please let’s be more rational.”

 

Again, a maniacal laugh. “Rational, are you mad? Nothing can be solved by rationality here boy. Now give me that little girl. Such a pretty find.” He sauntered towards them slowly, a venomous smile creeping up his lips.

 

“Jinkyung, run away. Find the princess’ guards.”

 

“No, I’m not going to leave you here.”

 

“Go or we will not come out here alive.”

 

Reluctantly, Jinkyung ran to find someone who can help them.

 

Furious that the girl ran away, the crown prince launched himself forward, his sword aimed to kill. Gyujeong dodged and ran in an attempt to lure him away from the princess. They reached the courtyard.

 

Jinkyung ran out of the apartments and desperately looked for help. Eventually she ran into the princess’ guards.

 

By the time she reached the princess’ courtyard, the unsound crown prince was aiming the sword towards the heart of the man – who just moments ago, confessed his feelings for her. He dodged at the last minute. The crown prince was exhausted but the adrenaline in his veins were still pumping. He launched and this time, Gyujeong was too slow. The prince had managed to deliver a blow to his arm. Wincing in pain, he slowed. He held onto his slashed arm to stop the bleeding.

 

The princess’ guards closed in. Once again, the prince let out a maniacal laugh. “Useless bastards. You can’t even kill me. What awaits you is death if you touch this heavenly body.”

 

Shaken, the guards did not advanced. Their weapons were drawn but did not attack. The princess was limping her way out her quarters shouting, “What are you doing?! Kill that crazy beast!”

 

Still nobody moved. They were too scared for their own lives. Another maniacal laugh. Grunting, Gyujeong forcefully took one of the guard’s sword. With his good hand, he launched forward. But the arm he was using was not the hand he used to train with weapons. No matter how Jinkyung looked at it, he was bound to get more injuries than inflict damage to the opponent. The prince deflected his attack and soon enough the sword flew off from his hand. He’s going to be bested by the prince. He’s going to die.

 

The prince aimed to strike. And then, blood spilled. Gyujeong’s eyes widened. The princess gasped. The blade of the sword pierced through the body. The prince pulled out the sword. He was breathing heavily. And then turned to the princess. He pointed the freshly bloodied sword towards the princess. “You ruined my fun today you wench. I’m going to come back for you. The next time I do, you will lose your life after I’ve had my fun with you.”

 

He spit on the ground, threw his sword to the ground and then walked away sluggishly. The guards and the princess watched him walk out of the residence.

 

Gyujeong was hysterical. “Jinkyung, Jinkyung ah…” his voice was shaky. Tears welled up in his eyes. He held her face trying to stir her awake. She was barely breathing. She threw herself in between the crown prince and Gyujeong. She was the one who received the death blow. A faint smile was on her lips. She was slowly losing consciousness. With effort she made out the words, “Please live well.”

 

“Sssshh- don’t say anything. Do not die on me. I’ve finally told you my feelings. I finally found out that we had mutual feelings. Don’t do this to me Jinkyung ah.” Tears were falling. Her eyes were slowly closing. Her strength being drained away from her. “I love you.” Jinkyung breathe as she held his face before she was finally drained of life. Gyujeong wept as he held her close. “No, no, no. This can’t be happening. You can’t die on me like this. Jinkyung ah.” But Jinkyung didn’t stir. Her body was limp and lifeless.

 

***

Neither here, nor there

 

Alina shook her head. The memories that flooded her brain were just painful. Her death as a human. She was Seo Jinkyung. The daughter of one of the ministers of the No-ron faction favored by the King. She was the catalyst to the death of Crown Prince Sado. She reunited the No-ron and So-ron factions even for a brief time – to support his death.

 

Jingkyung. She scoffed at the name. It meant precious(jin) and noble (kyung/gyeong). She was her father’s precious daughter. Losing her was losing his world. And so she learned that after her death, moments before she was made guardian, was that he worked towards avenging his daughter’s death by riling up the No-ron faction to push for the crown prince’s death.

 

Gyujeong. A heartbreaking smile worked on her lips. She learned that he was key to letting the No-ron do to their bidding – to kill the Crown Prince.* He was the key to the silence of the So-rons when the verdict was given. He told her.

 

*The king ordered for the Crown prince to be locked in a rice chest with no food and water. He died of starvation and dehydration after being sealed inside for 8 days in 12 July 1972.

 

Alina choked. He told her.

 

She suddenly heard voices. Her own voice… And another. Gyujeong. She whirled. “Jinkyung.” Gyujeong breathe. And there he was. His form was ethereal.

 

Looking down, Alina saw herself, intangible and insubstantial. She saw the self she was 2 and a half centuries ago. She saw Jinkyung, who collapsed to the ground. The scene of two hundred fifty years ago has come to haunt her again.

 

“You shouldn’t be here.” Jinkyung was in disbelief. So many thoughts were running through her head. “Don’t tell me you’re dead.”

 

“No.” he said firmly. “No, I’m not.”

 

“Then why. Why are you here? If you are living, you are not supposed to be here. You are not supposed to reach this place.” She was shaking now.

 

From the five years she’s been dead, she learned things. And beings who are destined for heaven and still undecided, they are to stay in the void until they were ready. Living beings are definitely not welcome in the void. They are not even supposed to reach this place. She was scared for him. His existence in the void would definitely catch the attention of the guardians. His existence would definitely upset some kind of balance that the guardians were preserving.

 

“I found the best shaman in all of Joseon, Jinkyung. I needed to see you.” There was desperation in his voice.

 

She was shaking her head. “This is not your place. You are supposed to live. I told you to live well. You must leave this place at once!”

 

Gyujeong took a step forward and reached for her. She stood and took a step back. A flicker of hurt registered in his face. “Jinkyung.”

 

“You must leave at once. If you stay any longer, you might die.”

 

His face hardened. “If I die, then it will be good. We will finally be together then.”

 

Jinkyung felt her heart break. She was about to say something when he said, “Do you know how many times I tried to kill myself and failed?” The ache in her heart doubled. “Do you know how hard it was to move on from losing you? It has been five years and still I’m mourning your death Jinkyung.” The strength in his legs gave and he was now kneeling. He stared at her, his jaw was clenched. A tear fell from his eyes. “If I’m going to finally die here, I’ll be more than happy to.”

 

Jinkyung covered . She felt choked. “I thought that when I avenge your death, I will finally move on… But it became worse. I thought that if I help your father avenge your death, that if I help the No-rons to kill the prince by getting my whole faction to shut their mouths, I could finally stop mourning…I wasn’t able to. I wasn’t able to…”

 

Jinkyung found herself in tears. She wanted to run over to him. To hug him and tell him it was going to be alright. But she remained where she stood. A good distance away from him. “You must leave this place. You will die.”

 

“I told you I – ”

 

“Your soul will disintegrate into nothingness if you die in here Gyujeong. This is not a place for the living. We will never be together ever again if you die in here. We will never be able to meet again in another life if you die here. You should go now.”

 

“But Jinkyung -”

 

“I will meet you. In another life. I promise.”

 

“You promise.”

 

“I promise. Now go and live well. Spend your life meaningfully. I will watch you from where I am until we meet again.”

 

Gyujeong’s form started to flicker. It was as if his form is starting to leave the void but then his form would become more detailed and tangible but some form of white light is starting to consume his form starting from his feet. Gyujeong looked confused. Jinkyung’s eyes widened in realization. The shaman was losing her strength. She could not hold on to his soul anymore. If she tries to bring him back with whatever strength she has left, she will die. Now, she seems to be choosing to save her own life by releasing the tether that connects the world of the living to the void.

 

“No no no.” Jinkyung breathe.

 

Just then, another being materialized. He was well-built and had a tan skin. His chiseled face was gentle and unyielding at the same time. A green laurel acted like a crown for his dark hair and he wore chiton clothing – standard for high guardians.

 

“What. Is. The. Meaning. Of. This.” The High Guardian was seething with anger.

 

“Rae!” she skipped the formality. He was her overseer. To address her overseer that way would call for some sort of punishment but right now, she needed to save Gyujeong. The High Guardian narrowed his eyes at Jinkyung before he turned to Gyujeong.

 

She ran towards the guardian. “Rae, please get him out of this place. Please save him.”

 

“Jinkyung, what’s happening to me?” there was fear in Gyujeong’s eyes. She cannot bear to look at him.

                                                                            

The guardian stared at her pleading eyes. “This insolent fool deserves what he is facing right now. This place is not somewhere he can freely enter. He who messes with the balance shall be punished. This is his punishment.”

 

Jinkyung was shaking her head, not wanting to let his words sink in. “No, there has to be a way.” She reached for his arm and gripped on it. “I will do anything. Just please save him.”

 

The guardian’s forehead creased. “Anything?”

 

She was nodding now. Behind her, Gyujeong was slowly losing his form. Only head to waist were remaining.

 

The guardian sighed. “I can save him but he will die.”

 

Jinkyung was confused. “What do you mean?”

 

“He will die. But his soul will be preserved for another life. That is the only way to save him.”

 

Jinkyung choked. At least his soul will not disintegrate into nothingness, into darkness. “Alright just please save him. Save his soul.” At least, we can meet in another life.

 

“But you will have to become a guardian.” Jinkyung’s heart fell. She… A guardian. No…

 

The guardian continued, “Only then he will be saved.” He still has not broken his gaze upon her. Jinkyung felt resigned. A sacrifice. Of course. Once she sacrifices something of hers, then the guardian would have the power to do what he was supposed to do. It was like bargaining with the devil. The bigger the sacrifice, the more power the guardian can use to fulfill the ‘wish’. The biggest sacrifice is her soul. To sacrifice her own soul to be a guardian is considering one of the biggest sacrifices souls can ever give. To be a guardian means to be committed to performing the tasks assigned to them until they are to be replaced. Once their duties are fulfilled, they are given the chance to stay in the heavens depending on how they perform or they will soon be the darkness that covers and acts as defenders in the night sky. But that only refers to heaven’s aids. If you are a guardian for the Underworld, the only way for you is to be that darkness in the night sky with no purpose. And guardians who have served will never be reborn to have another life.

 

She closed her eyes and steadied her breath. “Fine. I will do it.” She said as she stared at the eyes of the guardian. For a second, she thought she saw pity in those eyes. But he looked over to Gyujeong. His head to chest were the only things visible in his form. He seemed to be saying something but he produce no voice anymore.

 

“You must hurry.” The guardian warned. Jinkyung nodded.

 

“Do you, Seo Jinkyung accept the role of a Guardian – a guardian to support the cause of the Heavens and Underworld. ”

 

“Yes I do.”

 

“Do you pledge your soul for this task and only this task? Do you pledge that you will accomplish the tasks until another is ready to take your role?”

 

“Yes I do.”

 

“Then I, Rae, Wise Protector, High Guardian, shall bestow you the name Alina –Noble and Unselfish – to serve as Guardian to support the cause of the Heavens and Underworld.” A glowing scroll materialized in Rae’s hands. “This scroll will contain the contents of your assignment.”

 

After that he disappeared from her sight. She whirled and she saw him beside Gyujeong. His palms were directed to his head – the only thing in his form that was visible.

 

Jinkyung, now Alina bit her lip as she watched his form slowly flicker. “I love you. Please remember that.” She said to him before the entirety of him finally disappeared.

 

The guardian held an orb in his hand. “I will take this soul with me. Be thankful that I was the only one who noticed his presence. If it was another guardian, they would end him right there and then.”

 

Alina ran her fingers through her hair. He’s dead and gone. But his soul will be reborn. And she will not keep her promise. They will not be able to meet in another life. “Please take care of him.”  was the only thing she said as she gripped the scroll tightly.

 

The guardian’s jaw tightened. “Alina, I just want to let you know, I will not let the higher ups know what happened here.” Alina was surprised.  “I’ve seen you in remorse for the five years that I’ve been your overseer. I hope that you’ve become a guardian, I hope you fulfill the tasks given to you.”

 

Her overseer started to walk away. “Two guardians are not supposed to meet in the void. I will take my leave. Oh, this will be the last time I will be helping you.” And poof, he was gone.

 

As soon as he disappeared, Alina collapsed to the ground. She hugged her knees close to her chest. ‘I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I can’t keep my promise.’ And then she unfolded the scroll. Her heart sank even further and a scoff made it’s way out of .

 

It said:

 

“ Assignment: Guardian for the Underworld

 

Current Task: Oversee the ghosts in the living world and judge whether they are eligible to enter the Heavens or the Underworld

 

The book of rules will be made available to you as soon as you report to your post.”

---

Alina shook the memory away. Feeling as if she’ll suffocate if she stay any longer, she left for her post to the Underworld were towers of files pile up one another and a spelled mirror shows the progress of the ghosts.

 

She busied herself to shake off all the memories of the past. But every now and then, she would stop her work to think about Gyujeong’s soul. He was finally reborn. And she will do anything in her power to help him. Despite not being able to keep her promise to him, she will make sure he lives the life he was supposed to live.

 

Her love for him transcends time. She intentionally excelled in her post so as to be able to stay. Because she was waiting for the day where she can finally be of help to the man she had loved, still love and will continue to love until she becomes that darkness that has no purpose in the night sky.

         

---

 

Note: The history part is true to some extent (because you know, there’s a saying, history is always written by the winning side) and the reason for Crown Prince Sado’s death is definitely my imagination only. In the Memoirs of Lady Hyegyeong(wife of the crown prince), it was insisted that he has mental illness. The Annals had records where it says that the crown prince indeed had mental illness. However, there were records where for instance, he went for a trip to On-yang, and every subject praised his virtue and wisdom enthusiastically. There were claims that the No-ron faction desperately wanted to get rid of the Crown Prince. Queen Jeongsun, the second queen of Yeongjo was said to extremely hate the prince and was a No-ron. Princess Hwawan, who became a Noron because her husband was a Noron along with the Queen and another Consort focused on slandering the prince. Therefore, the claim that the Crown Prince attempted to be intimate with his own sister could be a lie in an attempt to get rid of him. The reason that got the Prince dead was when the “10 Misdeeds of the Prince” was incited to the King.

 

I’ve been interested in Joseon Dynasty history for quite a while actually. Hence, one of the reasons why it has been used in this story as well. I do have limited knowledge about the Annals because apparently, the English translation of the Annals will not be finished until 2033. I’ve also been interested in the reigns of Sukjong to Jeongjo, especially the execution of Crown Prince Sado. Was it really true he had mental illness or because the Noron party ruled during Yeongjo’s reign, they altered the records to their bidding? If you watched “Jang Ok-jung, Living By Love” starring Kim Tae-hee and Yoo Ah-in, does it cross your mind that what if that was really how Jang Hee-bin lived? What if her life story was altered because she was not on the winning side?

 

I do hope you didn’t find this chapter boring. I really had fun writing this chapter with the history part. I think it must be fate actually that helped me incorporate the history part. I didn’t intend Alina to be a very old guardian but it just so happened that I suddenly decided she should be about 250 year old guardian. It fell into place. Turns out, the year of her death turned out to be the year of Crown Prince Sado’s death. At first, I didn’t intend to incorporate her life with the crown prince. But as I was writing, my mind conjured up these ideas and questions, “What if she was the reason for the Crown Prince’s death?”

 

Your comments and votes keep me compelled to continue. Thank you!