The Simple Life

Let Me Be Your Hero

Tiffany's POV

            
I wake up with a major hangover, as if my brain is being eaten away by flesh eating bugs and that I'm pretty sure I may die any second now. 

I blame Taeyeon for this, she had asked me out clubbing for weeks since we met and I finally agreed. 

 

I had just moved to this little town and I don't know anyone close enough to be called a friend.

I guess Taeyeon is as good a friend as any. 

 

The reason she's been stuck to me like glue is merely because she's also fairly new to the school. The difference is she started about a month before I did.

 

She kept calling me her saviour, because she was bored to death until I came along.

 

I understand why though, it's not exactly easy to get along with my other colleagues here because all they talk about is their children getting into universities or their grandchildren entering school.

 

Taeyeon and I tried to enter the conversation once and we were bored to death. 

 

By the time they finished, Taeyeon swore she'd never ask any one of them the 'How are you doing' question ever again.

 

Oh, my job is teaching elementary kids now. 

No, it's not exactly my dream job but given the circumstances, this will do for now.

 

What circumstances exactly?

 

I kind of just packed all of my things in a box and just moved to an unknown town in an impulse when Nickhun asked me to marry him. 

He's a nice guy, cute smile, hot abs... Heck I have to admit sometimes I think he's even prettier than me, but I just didn't feel it.

 

It didn't feel right.

 

I thought I'd feel more.

 

And it took me two years to realise that.

 

I wouldn't say I have a commitment issue, I do believe in getting married and settling down. 

But settling down does not mean I have to settle for less. 

 

I want to be swept off my feet.

I want to be on cloud nine every time my lover looks into my eyes. 

I want to feel all fluttery in the inside every time I see the person I love. 

 

Butterflies, I want butterflies.

 

I never felt all of those with him. 

I tried and I tried. 

 

Everyone seemed to think that he was right for me, even my own family and close friends.

Everyone but me.

 

But don't I have a say in who I should be dating?

And not everyone around me.

 

I felt bad for taking so long to realise it.

But it had to be done, before it’s really too late.

Before I wake up one day with five kids and a man I don’t even love.

 

So here I am, in a faraway town from home, running away from my problems like I'm some rebellious teenager. 

 

How did I end up specifically in this town exactly? 

 

I took out a map of this god forsaken country, rolled and spun it around a few times, closed my eyes and happened to point my finger on this town. 

 

I didn't do it for what they call 'destiny'. 

But I did it because I wanted to be different than the Tiffany who was always playing by the rules. 

 

 

The Tiffany who never failed to meet everyone's expectation. 

My parents wanted me to get a high paying job and I did.

They wanted me to find a good man and I did. 

 

I did everything expected of me, hoped that happiness will come crashing on me eventually, but it never did.

 

I felt trapped instead. 

For years, I have dreaded everything good about my life.

 

I don’t even know why I endured all that.

 

So here I am, in Springfield, where people are more carefree and no one is trying to step on each other just like they did back in the city.

 

There are only a handful of nightclubs and entertainment spots, and they're located outside the residential area so most nights are calm and quiet.

 

I remember feeling anxious by how eerily quiet it was the first night I got here.

But I'm starting to like this little town.

 

The people are cheerful and friendly. 

 

 

Besides, being around children kind of makes me happy. They're just so pure and innocent in everything they do.

 

I guess not having to be responsible for anything does that to you, it makes you worry free. 

 

All in all, the positive vibes I get from the children does make me smile from time to time.

 

And at least for now, I am content and living by my own rules.

 

 

****

 

"You look like ," Taeyeon pointed out the moment I walk in to the staff room.

 

"Thanks, so do you," 

 

"Last night was fun, wasn't it?" Taeyeon smiled sheepishly, probably thinking of what she did last night.

 

I never knew this petite girl had it in her to drink and dance all night, but she surprised me last night.

 

"Clearly one of us was having more fun than the other," I said, my headache still ringing in my ear. 

 

"That's because one of us had an earth-shattering last night," Taeyeon whispered the last bit after looking around the crowded staffroom. 

 

I need me some of that.

 

"Oh my god, really?" I asked curious. 

She nodded almost impatiently, it looks like the excitement is going to burst out of her body. 

 

"That erted guy that was always trying to you?" 

 

"Oh hell no, no guy can give me that kind of satisfaction," Taeyeon claimed with a smirk on her face. 

 

"A woman?" I had to ask for confirmation. 

 

"Yes," 

 

"You're not... against it, are you?" Taeyeon asked after my eyes widen. 

 

"Oh no, of course not, it's just, I haven't been with a woman ever since college," I answered truthfully.

 

"No wonder you look so tense all the time," 

 

"Sorry?" 

 

"Oh come on, you're a little tense," Taeyeon grins. 

"You just need a little ride on the wild side,"

"You know what, I'm going to introduce you to someone," 

 

Taeyeon doesn’t stop even for a second to let me respond to her suggestions.

She really must be bored to death in this town.

 

"I have a cousin, she has a friend who is seeking for a special friend," 

"Or do you want me to set you up with a guy? Which do you prefer?" she finally stops, anticipating for my answer.

 

I haven't been with a woman for so long now. I have told myself that the lifestyle were too complicated and risky. 

 

At the time, I didn't think it was worth it to come out to my parents just because I had crazy good .

 

Conforming to the norm seems a whole lot easier back then.

Maybe it’s time to break the rules now.

 

I shake my head, slapping myself in the head because what Taeyeon said brought back memories.

 

"Yah! I am NOT tense and I certainly don't need to be set up with anyone," 

"I can get any guy or any woman when I want to," 

 

"Nope, discussion is over. I'm getting her contact details for you," Taeyeon answered before quickly dashing out of the staffroom but stopped at the door.

"Last chance to change your mind, man or woman?" 

 

I shake my head, she's just so unbelievable. 

 

"No answer means woman, just so you know," she winked right before closing the door because I didn't respond.

 

That fool. 

 

 

***

 

I sit silently on my table in front of the classroom.

 

The students are taking a mini test right now just to practice for their mid-terms. Seeing the kids concentrating hard on the paper brought a smile to my face.

 

I notice a kid who didn’t even stop to think for the entire time, she just kept on writing down her answers. She smiled towards me when she caught me staring. I give her a warm smile in return, she’s such a good mannered kid.

 

I shift my attention to my work soon after, however, I couldn’t get much done because my head is still spinning.

 

I really need to tone it down next time.

I massage my temples in the hopes of making my head feel even slightly better.

However, it didn’t even work one bit so I lay my head on my table in frustration.

 

“Teacher Fany?” the well-mannered girl is now standing in front of my desk with her test papers in her hands.

 

“Are you done Hyunnie?”

 

“Yes,” she gave me a small smile, her eyes sympathetic for a second there.

 

“Erm… here,” she said as she placed the Panadol on my desk.

“You seem sick,”

“I always give my aunt Hyo this when she gets sick like you,”

Her aunt must have frequent the clubs because she said ‘always’.

 

She’s not just well-mannered, she’s also a thoughtful kid.

 

“Thanks Hyunnie, that’s very nice of you,” I smile and she immediately returns to her seat.

 

When was the last time someone did something for me without asking for anything in return?

I certainly never felt like this back home in the city.

 

Soon after Seohyun submitted her papers, the other students began to follow suit.

I then dismissed the class when the school bell rang.

 

The Panadol did work like magic.

My head now feels better so I can catch up on working on my lesson plan for the coming months.

I smile happily as I finished planning their activities for next month.

 

“You’re not going home yet?” Taeyeon placed her books on desk with a small thud.

“I’m going to get more work done, I missed my deadline last night,” I answered.

 

“So hardworking, so tense,” she muttered.

“Hey, I’m doing my job,”

 

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” she rolled her eyes followed with a sly  grin.

“Don’t stay too late, you don’t want that creep to start talking to you,” Taeyeon said as she starts packing her own stuff.

 

She’s talking about the guard that have been making advances on the two of us as of late.

The thought of him making a move on me when I’m alone makes me hurl.

 

“Alright, will do,” I replied.

 

 

Two hours later, I finally got everything done.

I crack my knuckles tiredly and stretched my arms as wide as I can.

 

, it’s already 4pm.

I’ve been here for 4 hours.

 

I immediately pack my stuff and lock the staffroom door.

 

Before I got in the car, I realised there’s a girl sitting quietly on the bench in the waiting area.

It’s so late and no one picked her up yet?

 

I begin to recognise the girl as I got nearer towards her.

“Hyunnie?” I call her out and she turns towards me.

Her eyes looks like she had been crying.

 

“Who’s picking you up?”

 

“Supposed to be my Omma… but she, maybe she’s busy,” she answers in a sad tone.

 

“Give me your Omma’s number, I’ll call her for you,”

She stops for a second to think, “It is okay, she’ll come. Maybe she’s busy at work,”

 

How can a sweet kid like this deserve a parent like that?

She's still trying to understand her mom even though she has clearly forgotten to pick up her kid.

 

“My omma saves lives, she must be busy operating on people now,” Seohyun immediately added as if she knows exactly what I’m thinking.

 

“Can I call your dad then?”

 

“I don’t have a dad,” she answered.

“I’m sorry,” I feel bad for the kid.

“Usually, if my Omma can’t make it, my aunt Hyo or my aunt Soo will come for me, but they must be busy saving lives too,”

 

“Do you have a key to your house? I can send you home if you do,” I hold her little hand in mine and she smiles hearing this.

 

“Really?” I can detect relief in her tone.

 

“Yes, I’m not leaving you all alone here,”

 

“Thank you, teacher Fany,”

 

“Just give me your Omma’s number so I can text her to not worry about you,”

“Okay,” she keyed in her mom’s phone number on my phone and I text her immediately.

 

Before sending Seohyun back to her place, I decided to stop at a nearby diner because Seohyun looks like she needed a good meal.

 

She ordered burger and chips with a guilty expression on her face.

At first, I thought she felt bad for using my money but I was proven wrong when her frown still showed when she’s eating her chips.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“I… uh… I don’t eat burgers and chips,” she answered.

“Why did you order this?” I chuckle at her answer.

“There’s nothing good for the body on the menu,” Seohyun answered which to be honest, surprised me.

I don’t think I’ve ever met a kid who doesn’t like burgers and chips.

“I want to be healthy when I grow up so I can take care of my Omma,”

Her little statement tugs on my heartstrings.

 

She must be sent from heaven.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t know you hate junk food,” I scratched the side of my head, still surprised by her eating habits.

 

“It’s okay to eat this once in a while I guess,”

I mentally slap myself because this all I’ve been eating all week.

I can’t exactly cook so… yeah.

 

I guess that's one of the cons of living independently.

Nickhun usually did the cooking bit.

 

We both fell silent soon after, focusing our attention on the meal in front of us.

 

“My Omma is not a bad mom,” Seohyun broke the silence after clearing .

 

“I’m sure she isn’t, she raised a good kid like you,” I’m pleasantly surprised how understanding she is towards her mother.

It must be hard for her to raise a child on her own, and to be a doctor on top of that.

 

“Thank you, Teacher Fany, for this meal, for sending me home and for understanding my Omma,” she said, making me smile sincerely.

 

"Thanks to you I didn't have to eat lunch alone today,"

She nodded and responded with her sweet and innocent smile.

 

I can't help but feel content when I see Seohyun finishing her meal. 

 

I'm starting to love this simple life.