Bully

Let Me Be Your Hero

Yuri's POV

 

"It's delicious isn't it? Hyunnie cooked the spaghetti sauce all on her own," I spoke up when I realise that Hyoyeon looks like she's giving up on finishing the spaghetti. 

 

"It's so good Hyunnie! You really know how to cook!" Sooyoung said while she takes another spoonful of the spaghetti.

 

"Yeah, yeah, it's... It's good," Hyoyeon said with a half-hearted enthusiastic expression, her cheeks slightly red after eating the overly spicy sauce.

 

Hyoyeon stopped eating after two or three spoonful but she continued eating after Seohyun looked at her plate with her sad pleading eyes.

 

I knew this would work, if there's one thing Hyoyeon can't do, it is hurting my daughter's feelings. 

 

Hyoyeon would heave a sigh or roll her eyes every time Seohyun looks away. Beads of sweat forming on her forehead the more she eats the spaghetti. 

 

She looked at the two of us with a slightly speechless expression, because we’re eating the spaghetti like it’s the most delicious thing in the world.

 

"You've only had one plate, don't you want more?" I asked Hyoyeon as innocently as I can.

 

"Huh? I'm full, thank you," she replied, slightly wiping her sweaty forehead. 

 

"But you said you were starving before dinner, is the spaghetti not tasty?" Seohyun asked, slowly entering her sulky mode.

Hyoyeon didn’t respond at first but her face is already filled with guilt.

 

Jackpot. 

 

"Oh, no honey, I was just being stupid, just give me another plate then," Hyoyeon replied but there isn't an ounce of sincerity in her voice.

 

Seohyun keenly scooped more of the spaghetti sauce, oblivious to the fact that Hyoyeon is dying in the inside.

 

Sooyoung and I have been exchanging smirks in secret throughout the night.

This brings me so much joy. 

 

Well, to be fair, Seohyun did cook the spaghetti sauce, but I added a little something to Hyoyeon’s special sauce.

 

I grinned in satisfaction throughout the rest of the meal, knowing how much Hyoyeon must have suffered while still maintaining her straight expression for my daughter’s sake.

 

"Omma, I'm going up now, I need to finish my homework before bed time," Seohyun spoke up while collecting the empty plates on the table. 

 

"Okay baby, just carry it to the kitchen, I'll wash it," 

 

"Thank you Omma, and Auntie Hyoyeon for finishing the rest of the spaghetti! I'm so happy you liked it!!" she put down her plate and hugged Hyoyeon tight.

 

"Yeah, you're a wonderful cook," Hyoyeon said in her motherly tone, the loving tone she only uses in front of kids. 

 

 

 

After Seohyun went upstairs, I opened up a bottle of wine and we sat down on the couch by the TV in the living room. 

 

"Oh god that was really spicy wasn't it?" 

 

I’m surprised she hasn’t suspected anything at all.

She’s usually very quick witted.

 

She stuck out her tongue to fan it with her hand, as if it would help her get over the taste of the spiciness. 

 

Sooyoung and I just looked at each other knowingly, each of us trying to stifle our laughter. 

She finally stopped and stared at the two of us with a puzzled look on her face.

 

"Wait, what's going on?!" Hyoyeon asked after she realised that we're about to burst out laughing.

 

"You guys hate spicy food as much as I do! What's going on? Why aren't you suffering like I am right now?" 

 

We finally couldn't hold our laughter in anymore and laughed our asses off.

Sooyoung is now laughing with her hand on her stomach. 

 

"Your sauce was a special sauce,” I replied after my laughter died down. 

 

"What?!!!" 

 

"I added a little bit of pepper, cayenne and paprika to your sauce," I said, I can feel myself beaming with pride.

 

"By a bit, I meant a bottle of each," I added smugly.

 

This was my plan to get back at Hyoyeon.

 

Another laughter escaped my lips when Hyoyeon gasped out loud.

“How could you?!”

The frown on her face tells me she doesn’t find this as funny as we do.

“You’re going to give me diarrhea!!” she fumed.

 

The last time we did this prank on Hyoyeon was when we were still surgical residents, Hyoyeon had to take a couple of days off because of her diarrhea.

 

I replied Hyoyeon with another laugh, I do feel bad for the girl but seeing her panicking about getting diarrhea tomorrow is probably the funniest thing ever.

 

"That's what you get for setting me up with Hyunnie's teacher!" 

"You're insane!"

"She's Hyunnie's teacher!!" 

"Of all people HYO!!!" 

 

"What?! I saw her the other day in school and I just thought that you might like her..." 

 

"But she Hyunnie's teacher!" I shouted, desperately trying to make my point.

 

"So what?!" 

“I only had good intentions!” she defended her self again.

 

Of course she won’t get it.

 

"You're not her student, no rules against that!" 

"She's not your patient too, so no rules broken either," 

 

"Wait, how did you...? You didn't even agree to the date, Sooyoung ended up going to the date," she asked.

 

"I met her to thank her for sending Hyunnie home the other day," 

"And she thought I was Sooyoung," 

 

 

"Oh my god!!" Hyoyeon gasped out loud before I could continue my story.

 

"This is even better than I expected!!!" she shouted.

 

"What is?" 

 

Both Sooyoung and I looked at each other in confusion, we can never get into the same channel as Hyoyeon, the girl has a twisted mind. 

 

"I set you up with her, but you refused," she continued after taking a few deep breaths.

"And then at the end of the day, you still end up meeting each other? And she actually thought you were her date?" 

", if that's not destiny then I don't know what is…" she laughed in a spine-chilling evil way.  

 

"You're an ," I pointed out, I also rolled my eyes to make my point.

 

"If you think about it, it kind of makes sense, you kept saying no, but you ended up meeting her on the same day where I'm supposed to meet her," Sooyoung said, agreeing with Hyoyeon.

 

I gasped at Sooyoung, feeling betrayed at her sudden change of attitude.

 

"If you hadn't shown up, I would be dating her right now," Sooyoung added only to receive an intense glare from me. 

 

"Why didn't you come see her?" Hyoyeon asked Sooyoung.

 

"Yuri texted me to not come to meet this Tiffany," 

 

"Oh," Sooyung said as she snaps her finger, something she usually does when she got an idea.

 

She then flashed a sly smirk at me.

 

"What!" 

 

"You like her," she stated confidently.

"That's why you told me not to come, didn't you?" she raised her eyebrows, her eyes filled with suspicion.

 

"Oh God," I replied.

"She told me she didn't want to date, I was just doing her a favour... ugh, and didn’t I tell you the whole story already?’

 

I don’t even know why I’m explaining myself when I know that they won’t ever listen.

 

 

 

"Then, why do I see a smile escaping from your lips right now?" Hyoyeon asked, her suspicious eyes scrutinizing every inch of my facial expression. 

 

"It's nothing," I shrugged.

 

They both continued staring at me like I'm some kind of organ they need to examine carefully. 

 

"What?!"

 

"Omg, is this why you've been so cheerful tonight?" Hyoyeon added. 

 

"You like that awkward and dorky teacher, don't you?" Sooyoung winked. 

 

"Of course not, she's just so funny, I can't help but laugh. You should've seen her face when she found out that she was..." 

 

"Oh, there it is, her smile is getting wider just remembering their chance encounter earlier today," Sooyoung said to Hyoyeon completely ignoring my response. 

 

"I know right, now I know why she's so oddly cheerful today," Hyoyeon replied to Sooyoung. 

 

I kept yelling, trying to defend myself, but they kept talking to each other, completely ignoring me.

 

Sooyoung filled her in about my little accidental meeting with Seohyun’s teacher earlier this afternoon. Violent laughter escaped Hyoyeon’s mouth, thinking that her plan to set me up worked.

 

“I am happy because we just tricked Hyo! Hello?!!!! She’s going to be living in her toilet for the next few days?” I looked at Sooyoung intently, trying to find some kind, any kind, of support.

 

"Sure, Yuri, whatever you say," Hyoyeon finally acknowledged my existence and just nodded sarcastically.

 

"Yeah, yeah, so not obvious," Sooyoung smirked.

 

“Aish, you idiots,” I said in defeat, leaning my back on the sofa – it’s no use to defend myself when they have already made up their mind.

 

I spent the rest of the night getting teased by Sooyoung and Hyoyeon.

 

I know my own feelings.

I'm sure I'm happier today because of the Hyoyeon thing and that I actually got to spend time with Seohyun today, getting groceries, and cooking together.

 

I'm pretty sure of it. 

 

I mean, her teacher was funny... 

 

And it was cute how she got all nervous, and how she stammered every word she said, but come on, I just met her.

 

How her eyes smiled along with every time she laughed nervously...

 

This is ridiculous. 

 

She’s Hyunnie’s teacher for crying out loud.

Sooyoung and Hyoyeon are fools.

 

They think they know me because we've been friends since med school. 

But they don't. 

 

Right? 

 

 

 

****

 

 

 

As predicted, Hyoyeon did end up having to practically live in the toilet because of her diarrhea so she had to take two days off.

I guess it was a little over the top for me to do that, and a little immature too, but hey, she was the one who was so hell bent on me living my life to the fullest. 

 

And pranking her was one of my fun activities back in the day, when things were a lot more... easier. 

 

I did apologise for my little trick and Hyoyeon accepted it, but knowing her, I know something is coming up for me - it's just a matter of how and when. 

 

I'll just face them when it actually happens. 

 Hyoyeon's bowel movement is finally working normally today so we get to do our scheduled surgery together. 

 

"Scalpels," Sooyoung said and the scrub nurse soon handed her the said instrument.

 

We have been in surgery for almost two hours.

 

I'm working on the patient's collapsed lung, with Sooyoung helping me out and Hyoyeon is trying to repair the damage to the patient's hands after her car crashed and her hands snapped like a twig. 

 

"Oh god, this is going to be as good as new when she wakes up," Hyoyeon said with a proud tone.

 

Hyoyeon is one of the best orthopedic surgeon (not just saying that because she's a dear friend) and I must say, she enjoys her work a little too much sometimes. 

One of her drunk confession to me was that she enjoys listening to the sounds of bones cracking. 

 

Weirdo. 

 

 

 

 

"So... Let's play a game, we're going to sit here for another two to three hours, might as well right?" Hyoyeon said to the interns that are watching us attentively.

 

"You're distracting them, they're here to learn Hyo," Sooyoung replied but her eyes are still focused on the patient. 

 

"Buzz kill," Hyoyeon scoffed.

 

"Kwon, humour me, will you?" 

 

"I'm busy," I replied, not bothering to play her little games. 

 

Surgeries is supposed to be my quiet alone time, a time I usually use to think and clear my head.

 

And right now, Hyoyeon is destroying my very peaceful, happy place.

 

"You just have to listen," 

 

I ignored her but she took this as an agreement nonetheless.

 

"You kids watch Grey's Anatomy don't you?" 

"Good, good, majority does," Hyoyeon said after she heard yesses from the interns.

 

"So what do you think about Dr. Kwon?" she asked the interns.

"McDreamy or McSteamy?" I could see her wiggling eyebrows playfully towards the interns.

 

"Hyo!" I yelled angrily.

 

We'd usually play this game when we were in med school, to decide which attending is for or for love. 

 

I never realised how inappropriate our game was until I'm actually the one being put on the stand.

 

I can't believe she'll go this far to humiliate me.

 

"What? It's just a game..." Hyoyeon replied, then she turned to the interns, completely disregarding whatever I have to say.  

 

"Raise your hands people!" 

"Raise hands for McDreamy!" 

"Come on, I need hands or you're out of here," Hyoyeon said in a threatening tone.

 

I sighed in defeat, Hyoyeon never listens.

 

I focused my eyes wholly on my patient’s exposed organs, I’m too ashamed to even look at the interns now.

 

 

"You don't have to listen to this witch..." I said, in my desperate attempt to stop this torture.

 

"Dr. Kwon Yuri is McDreamy by majority votes," Hyoyeon said out loud, pretending like she's an announcer of some sort. 

 

"Funny," I scoffed.

 

"Landslide actually, only one or two voted McSteamy," 

 

"I guess you don't have y eyes, Kwon," 

 

"Are you done?" I said in my attempt to have her out of this O.R.

 

"Actually, I was done 15 minutes ago, I stayed to entertain my fellow interns," a few of interns actually clapped at this.

 

“Go, now,” my voice stern.

 

"Fine, fine, I'll go, damn, more like McGrumpy," 

 

I could hear the rest of the staff laughing after Hyoyeon’s remark, including Sooyoung and the young interns.

 

In her own twisted way, Hyoyeon managed to lighten up the situation. But of course, she had to do it by roasting me in front of these interns.

 

Just when Hyoyeon is about to exit the OR, Krystal comes in looking for me. 

 

"Oh, just the person I'm looking for!" she shouted in delight.

 .

"We were all playing a fun game earlier Krystal," 

 

"Game?" Krystal glanced towards me, as if trying to get my approval if she should humour my friend.

 

I shake my head as a response.

 

"You’ve seen Grey's Anatomy right?" 

 

"Yeah, it's my fave show, why?" Krystal said, her voice curious but unsuspecting. 

 

I could already hear Sooyoung chuckling to herself.

 

“Hyo, stop,” I said out loud.

 

Hyoyeon turned to me and gave me an evil smirk but continued talking to Krystal anyway.

 

"So, do you think Dr. Kwon is McDreamy or McSteamy?" 

 

Why do I even try to stop her?

 

I could see from her body language that she’s feeling uneasy because her hands are fidgety.

 

I feel sorry for the poor girl.

 

"Dr. Jung, you don't have to listen to her, why are you here? Is Miss Clark okay?" I asked, trying to change the topic.

 

“Hey, I was asking her a question!” Hyoyeon groaned.

 

The poor Krystal couldn't even look at me in the eyes and then she abruptly excused herself after stuttering through whatever she wanted to say to me about my patient.

 

She then left the OR immediately. 

 

"Hyo!!!!"

 

"What? I guess it's McSteamy for her," she grinned, satisfied.

 

I gave her a frustrated look. 

 

"Fine! Fine! I'm leaving!" Hyoyeon said while raising her hands up in the air as if she’s surrendering. 

 

"That's what you get for tricking me that night!!"

“I had diarrhea for two days, no thanks to you,” Hyoyeon said out loud, not realising that we were in a room full of people who then laughed at her confession.

 

 

 

 

"Why did we agree to be friends with her?" I asked Sooyoung in my frustration after Hyoyeon left the room.

 

"Sorry, she looked so lonely that day. But she's returnable, that's what her box says," Sooyoung chuckled. 

 

"I don't think anybody wants her anymore," I said after taking a deep breath. 

 

"Let's just dump her in the bin once we're done with this," Sooyoung suggested, making me laugh.

 

 



 

For those who doesn't watch Grey's Anatomy - this McDreamy and McSteamy. 

One has those dreamy eyes and one has that killer hot vibes! 

 

p/s - sorry for the lack of medical talk, I'm not in the medical field in any way (you probably can tell from this chapter) but i'll try to incorporate more of that in my next chapters (If I can get the hand of all the complicated med terms :P)