Getting Along

Let Me Be Your Hero

Hey, sorry for this long overdue update. 

I've been... busy. 

 

You might want to read the prev. chapter as this is a continuation to that. 

Thank you for still hanging around! see you! 
 

 

 

Yuri's POV

 

"You don't like your food?" I asked when I noticed that she hasn't taken a single bite of her sandwich.

 

"No, it's just..." she trailed off before completing her sentence.

 

"Hmmm? What is it?" I asked again, concerned.

 

"Why did you... interrupt us back there? We were talking and you..." her sentence trailed off as she fixates on her food.

 

Oh... So this is what it's about.

To be honest, I don't even know what got to me. 

 

I just can’t have Sooyoung going out with her.

How do I get out of this?

 

My eyes narrowed and I give her a stern look, "You think I'm going to let you get away with it? 

 

"Sorry? Get away with what exactly?" she asked with uneasiness in her tone, I could see her forehead creasing.

 

"You practically ravished my s back then!" I answered with another firm tone.

"And you want to flirt with my best friend after all that?" I glared slightly.

 

"I didn't do it on purpose! You were all wet…" her eyes widen with disbelief and then she slapped her forehead before finishing her sentence.

 

She's such a cute mess.

 

"I'm so sorry, I... It wasn't..." she continued, still looking very much flustered.

She paused and gives me a suspicious look when she sees the smirk on my lips. 

 

My smirk slowly turned to laughter, "You should've seen your face!" 

 

"Kwon Yuri!!!!" Tiffany screamed and started whacking my arm.

 

She finally stopped when she realised that everyone is looking towards our direction. 

I gave the others a shameless smile and turned my attention towards the flustered girl in front of me once again. 

 

"You're so gullible," I gazed into her mesmerising eyes, amazed at how beautiful a person can be when they don't even try.

 

She giggled but immediately cleared and broke away from my gaze, her body language showing that she's uncomfortable.

 

"What's wrong?"  

 

"Nothing," she smiled an unconvincing smile.

 

"Come on, we're friends now right? You can tell me anything," 

 

She stayed quiet still.

 

"I'd like to think that we are friends by now," I said.

"I mean, you've practically went on second base with me..." I continued only to be stopped by her furious but super adorable glare.

 

"Sorry, can't help myself," I smiled sheepishly while tilting my head to the side, and she ends up smiling too, her eyes disappearing into a smile - my favorite smile after Seohyun's.

 

"So are you going to tell me why you seem so uncomfortable all of the sudden?" I asked her again for the second time, hoping that I could stop whatever it is that makes her uncomfortable around me.

 

Come to think of it, she always seems uncomfortable around me. 

 

She cleared again, interrupting my train of thought. 

“It’s you,” she answered with a straight face.

 

"Me? I make you uncomfortable?"  

I suddenly feel bad because it was never my intention to make her feel that way. 

 

Maybe I way too much.

 

Suddenly her straight face turned into a satisfied smirk, “Two can play the game!” she shouted happily.

 

“Tiffany!!” I tried to stay mad but I couldn’t help but smile along to see her so over joyed.

 

"It's not you, of course. You're kind, you're amazing," she continued talking when she realised that I was still feeling bad over what she had just said.

 

She took a deep breath before she continued her sentence.

 

"I’m sorry for being so clumsy today… and yesterday, or the days before this," she sighed with a hint of embarrassment on her cheeks.

“I’ve never acted this way, acting like a fool in front of someone I barely even know. I was always the confident and calm one – but now, I don’t know what’s happening to me,” she smiled a helpless smile.

 

 

“That’s okay, I don’t mind. It’s cute and entertaining,” I answered truthfully.

 

“Thank you, I’m glad you didn’t think I was the idiot teacher or something,” Tiffany sigh with relief.

 

“Hardly, Hyunnie adores you, you’re her favorite teacher in the whole wide world, her words, not mine,” I replied which made her giggle again.

 

“And I adore her too,” Tiffany responded with those sincere eyes.

Soon after we were engulfed by a strangely comfortable silence and every time our eyes accidentally met, I could feel my heart desperately pounding against my chest.

 

 

 

"McDreamy!!!!!" 

 

.

 

Why do they have to be here right now, at this moment?

This is my get-to-know Tiffany session!

 

"Crap," I muttered under my breath.

 

 

Both Sooyoung and Hyoyeon took a seat around our table as if they belong here.

“Why are you so flustered?” Sooyoung asked, pointing out the obvious.

I could feel Hyoyeon’s suspicious gaze burning my skin.

 

"Guys, sit somewhere else please," I rolled my eyes, annoyed that my time with Tiffany is being cut short. 

We were just getting to the good part...                             

 

"Oh, are we disturbing something here?" Hyoyeon asked innocently, I could see the evil emanating from her.

 

"Are you like... on a date?" Sooyoung asked as she her eyebrow.

"I said I called dibs," Sooyoung added and smiled like an idiot when I glared at her.

 

I can see Tiffany expression changing to that of a mortified look. 

 

"Sorry, it's not what you think,"

"I didn't... didn't call dibs, you're not a thing to call dibs over," I explained myself and I felt a sense of relief when Tiffany responded with her trademark smile.

 

"Isn't that sweet?" Hyoyeon remarked while grinning wide. 

 

Tiffany looked at me shyly and I could see her blushing profusely. 

The moment our eyes met, I swear it felt like I was losing my mind.

 

 

"So... McDreamy?" Tiffany asked the table after a few seconds of uncomfortable silence.

 

Sooyoung and Hyoyeon chuckled with pride, both more than happy to answer Tiffany's question.

"Our Kwon Yuri here were voted as McDreamy by the interns," 

 

Tiffany giggled at this and I could feel my heartbeat racing as she looks at me intently.

 

Does that mean she agrees on the statement...? 

The thought of Tiffany agreeing with my McDreamy nickname made me feel extremely shy... and glad.

 

"So, I take it you agree that she's McDreamy and not McSteamy?" Sooyoung asked casually. 

Tiffany looked at me again for a few seconds before turning away shyly. 

 

"Stop...." I pleaded in desperation but of course, my pleas are not heard by my two idiot friends. 

 

"Fany, I'm sorry, they're out of line," I said.

 

"It's cool, your friends are entertaining," she chuckles lightly and once again, her eyes disappeared into that cute smile of hers.

 

"Would you two stop the eye already, it's kind of creeping me out," Hyoyeon said with a hint of annoyance.

 

"Hyo!!!" I yelled but Tiffany laughed out loud instead. 

 

Before things got worse, Hyoyeon's and Sooyoung's pager started beeping which meant that I'm saved by the bell. 

 

"Goodbye, lovebirds," Sooyoung wiggled her eyebrows earning another death glare from me. 

I looked at Tiffany who doesn't seem to mind the endless teasing as she waves happily to the duo. 

 

 

"So sorry, they have been pestering me to live my life and all that," I rolled my eyes slightly to which she replied with a sincere smile. 

 

"Well, are you living your life?" she asked with a genuine interest in her eyes. 

 

"Trying to," I smiled sincerely. 

 

"It's been hard since..." I trailed off, suddenly feeling down.

 

"I'm sorry," she apologised and then put her hand on mine. 

 

"It must've been hard on you, and yet you're doing such an excellent job. Hyunnie is such a good kid," Tiffany continued, filling the silence.

 

"She pretty much did it all on her own, her real mother was a genuinely good person too," 

 

I could see a flicker of surprise on her face but later she covered it with a warm smile. 

 

"Yeah, we adopted her after Hyunnie's real mother passed away of cancer," I answered, because I could see the curiosity in her eyes. 

 

“Oh..." Tiffany asked but stopped halfway after meeting my eyes. 

“You’re lucky to have her, she’s such a blessing,” she added warmly.

 

“I just hope I’m not disappointing Hyunnie’s mother, she trusted me with her daughter,” I said as I swallow the lump in my throat.

 

“Do you know how much your daughter admires you?”

“You’re like a saint to her, that means you’re doing a perfectly fine job,” Tiffany replied.

 

I smiled as Tiffany cupped my hand and the gesture alone made me feel slightly better. 

 

 

 

“I'm sorry, for dragging the mood down," I finally responded.

 

"Don't be, Yuri-ah, I... want to get to know you better," 

 

"That includes your ups and downs," she cleared and smiled. 

 

When did she get so smooth with her words?

 

I ended up blushing because I never knew she could be this straight forward and that threw me off guard.

 

"I'm so relieved to know that you can be shy and nervous too," Tiffany added brightly.

 

"So glad I'm not the only one," she raised her eyebrows playfully, teasing with her smile. 

 

"Stop it, did you get inspired by Hyo and Soo?" I asked and she only laughed in response.

 

"Maybe," she admitted while giggling. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After eating, we went back to Taeyeon's room to check on her. 

To my pleasant surprise, Hyoyeon is beside the sleeping Taeyeon, holding her hand.

 

I could see the worried expression on Hyoyeon's face but she immediately covered it up when she realised that Tiffany and I just entered the room. 

 

"She'll be okay Hyo,"

 

"I should've known she was sick," 

 

"It isn't your fault. Don't you dare blame yourself," I said, my voice serious. 

 

"I know, I'm sorry," 

 

"I already cleared up my schedule for her surgery later, the earlier we do this, the better," 

 

"Okay, I'll sign the consent forms," 

 

"Tiffany, thank you, for staying by her side," Hyoyeon said as she glance towards Tiffany's direction. 

 

"No worries," Tiffany gave her a warm smile. 

 

"Okay, we'll leave you to it," I said and then Tiffany proceeded to leave the room with me. 

 

 

"She's totally different from the Hyoyeon in the cafeteria," Tiffany said softly with a hint of sadness in her voice. 

 

"Yeah, she knows how to cover her emotions well," 

"Or by distracting herself by bullying me," this made Tiffany chuckle. 

 

"They've been there for one another since they were kids,"

"Taeyeon came to live with Hyoyeon when her parents passed away when she was just six years old," 

"Hyoyeon is taking this hard because she have always felt responsible for Taeyeon's well-being," 

 

"But she'll be alright, right?" I noticed a hint of worry in her tone.

 

"I'll do the best I can, but this is usually a breeze," I reassured her with a smile. 

 

Just then Tiffany's phone rings, "It's the school," she told me before she walks away to answer her phone.

 

 

 

 

 

"Dr. Kwon, you paged me?" I heard a voice called out from behind me. 

 

"Yes, I did, do you have any surgery scheduled later?"

 

"I do, it's Dr. Kim's surgery, I think I won't be able to scrub in, apologies Dr. Kwon," 

 

"No, cancel that. He can get another resident, you're mine for today," 

 

I want the best resident to help me with my surgery and that is Krystal. 

 

"No excuses, got it? I'll handle that Kim," I answered, he always had the tendency to steal my best residents. 

 

"Okay," Krystal look surprised but nodded anyway. 

 

"I'm sorry, it's just, this is an important surgery and I think you're the best," I admitted which made her cheeks pink.

 

 

 

After I ran through Taeyeon’s case with Krystal, Tiffany came back to me after saying goodbye to whoever she’s talking to on her phone.

“Tiffany, this is Ms. Jung, she will be helping me with Taeyeon’s surgery,”

 

“Hi, we met in the hallway, I’m sorry about the commotion earlier,” Tiffany smiled her charming smile and this was replied by Krystal’s awkward smile.

 

“Hello, Ms. Tiffany, I’ve forgotten all about that, it’s not me you should apologise to anyway,” Krystal responded casually with no hint of emotion of whatsoever.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I think I could feel that Krystal is feeling a little irritated. 

 

“I’m going to prep for the surgery now, excuse me Dr. Kwon and Ms. Tiffany,” she smiled towards my direction before leaving the two of us. 

 

After Krystal has gone completely from our sight, Tiffany sighed out loud. 

“Your intern hates me with all her being,” she whispered with a hint of a smile on her lips.

 

“Yeah, you destroyed her peaceful morning,” I stuck out my tongue and this made her giggle.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tiffany’s POV


My anxiousness grew as she has been pacing around for almost thirty minutes now. 

 

"The surgery shouldn't take this long," 

 

"There must be some complication," 

 

She paces some more.

 

 

 

"I have to go in," 

 

The worried look on her face is a completely different one than my first impression of her.

 

It's as if the Hyoyeon I knew just this morning has disappeared as her cousin entered the operating room. 

 

"I'm sure Yuri is handling her just fine," Sooyoung voiced out calmly, with her palm resting on Hyoyeon's shoulder. 

 

"But Soo, things happen... Sometimes it's out of our control,"

 

"Come on, Yuri got this. She's done this procedure a thousand times!" Sooyoung added with confidence.

 

"You're worrying over nothing," 

 

Hyoyeon stayed silent but instead slumped her shoulder as she sat back down next to me. 

 

"I know, it's just... I should've known,"

"I should've been there for her earlier," 

"I'm a doctor for goodness sake," Hyoyeon said with a regretful tone.

 

 

"Don't be so hard on yourself," I finally voiced out because Sooyoung appears speechless.

“Taeyeon thinks the world of you,” I added. “Taeyeon’s tough, you know that more than I do.”

 

“She is, isn’t she?” Hyoyeon gives me a little smile.

“Thanks Tiffany,”

 

After a few minutes of glum silence, Hyoyeon sighed out loud, she pushed her hair back with her hands, her face filled with uneasiness.

 

“Hey, let’s talk about something else,” I suggested.

 

“You mean, like, a distraction?” Hyoyeon asked.

I nodded.

 

“What do you have in mind?” Sooyoung asked.

“Well, since we just met, let’s get to know each other,” I suggested with another smile.

My suggestion was met by a welcoming smile by the both of them.

 

“Is there any rules to this little Q and A?” Hyoyeon asked and I shook my head unsuspectingly.

 

Boy was I wrong to do that.

 

“Do you like her?” Hyoyeon asked with her ultimate concentration on me.

This caught me off guard and I ended up getting all flustered, I could feel the butterflies in my stomach waking up again at the thought of her alone.

 

“That’s a good enough answer,” Sooyoung smirked.

 

“She’s amazing, that Yuri, what’s not to like?” Hyoyeon added while laughing merrily.

 

“To be brutally honest though, she hasn’t taken any interest or whatsoever to the people around her,” Sooyoung added with a slightly glum tone.

 

“Trust me, I’ve thrown the hottest, iest human beings ever to grace the earth towards her, but she didn’t even take a second look,” Hyoyeon continued, frustrated.

 

“But I think she likes you,” Sooyoung added.

“I know, you probably think that we are such busy body and that we like to meddle in Yuri’s life, but I’m just saying, Yuri just needs a little push,”

 

“What she meant is, Yuri don’t have game and she can’t pick up a woman at a bar to save a life,” Hyoyeon added but stopped when Sooyoung glared towards her direction.

 

“Are you saying…? I have to make the first move?”

Hyoyeon wiggled her eyebrows, “Do you want suggestions?”

Sooyoung laughed at Hyoyeon’s attempt to tease me every chance she got.

 

“I don’t think I can… I’m teaching her daughter. It’s going to be complicated if things go south,”

 

“That’s where you’re wrong!” Hyoyeon hissed, annoyed.

“Calm your Hyo,” Sooyoung smacked Hyoyeon’s head which was replied by a smack to Sooyoung’s .

 

“What she meant to say is that, you don’t really know unless you try… right?”

“If you don’t do this, what if one day, you’ll regret this moment?”

 

“Oh god, I should have pre-determined rules to this little Q and A, shouldn’t I?” I can only laug looking at their frustrated faces.

 

Just then, the light above the operating room lights up – a signal telling us that the operation is done.

 

I was too busy trying to distract Hyoyeon from worrying too much – I actually forgot that I’m worried sick about Taeyeon too. The realisation that her operation could go wrong made my stomach hurl.

A few minutes later, Yuri came out of the operating room with her scrubs on.

“How did it go?” Hyoyeon asked impatiently.

“It was a breeze,” Yuri said brightly and Hyoyeon immediately hugged her friend as a way of saying that she is grateful.

 

As Hyoyeon was giving her a bear crushing hug, Yuri, who is now facing directly towards me, smiled the most captivating smile I’ve ever laid my eyes on.

Her eyes met mine and this is when I’m certain that...  I want to be in her life.