Like A Fool

Let Me Be Your Hero

Tiffany’s POV

 

"Oh god, I hate kids," Taeyeon whined during break time. 

 

"What did they do now?" 

 

In terms of students, Taeyeon isn't as lucky as I am because her students are a bit more rebellious than mine. Her students like to make fun of her small form and disobeying her just to get under her skin. She’s always second away from exploding every time she finishes her class.

 

I keep my eyes locked on my laptop screen as I busily typed a worksheet for my students. 

 

Taeyeon continued sighing in frustration, "They're fighting again," 

 

"All because of colour pencils," she lay her head on the table after slightly slapping her forehead in anger.

 

"Days like these reminds me why I don't ever want kids," 

 

"You don't want kids? For real?" 

 

"Uh huh..." 

"They're so noisy and whiny,"

“Those innocent faces can’t fool me, they’re spawned by the devil,”

 

"Come on, give them a break, they're just kids," 

I feel bad that she’s struggling so much with her kids but I’d be lying to say if I don’t find her funny at times like this.

 

"No, thank you. I'd rather keep my sanity," she rolls her eyes and pursed her lips.

 

"I like kids, I think they're adorable," 

I smile wide and sincere, showing her the Thank You card made by Seohyun for sending her home.

 

"In a few years, those students of yours will turn into angry teenagers, see how you like them then," Taeyeon said bitterly. 

 

"I'm going to head back to class to give punishment to those little rascals," she gets up with an evil smile on her face. 

 

"You do that," I respond, happy that I won't be surrounded by her bitter and negative attitude any second longer.

 

She takes dramatic heavy steps towards the door but she paused and turned towards my direction.

 

"Oh, before I forgot, your date is coming by later," she says casually.

 

 

"WHAT?!" I stopped to look at Taeyeon who is giving me an innocent look. 

 

"Your date will..." she continues talking without as much as reacting to my panic state.

 

"What date?!!!! I didn't agree to any of this!" I yelled, annoyed that she still went ahead when I clearly said I didn't want to date whoever she has set up with me.

 

"Well, you can leave early," 

“You leaving will mean that you’ve ditched her,”

"She's still coming here though, she won't take no for an answer," 

 

"But I don't know how you'll be able to sleep at night, knowing that you've stood up someone so nice and caring…"

 

Now she’s trying to guilt trip me?

 

"Ugh, Tae, I'm really not ready," 

 

"She's tall, tanned, y, and plus she's a doctor! You're going to love her!" 

 

"I'm leaving early, I don't care," I scoffed in anger.

 

"That's not nice, what did she ever do to you?" she shot a puzzled look towards me.

 

This idiot.

 

"Just stay will you? You can talk to her... Tell her that you're not ready and all that..." 

 

 

 

I take a deep breath before I say something I regret to my new found friend.

"Let me get this straight,"

 

"YOU, set me up with this person behind MY back, when I clearly said NO," 

 

"And NOW, I have to be the one to reject HER?" I look at her, expecting her to feel guilty for setting this up but to no avail.

 

"Yes! I'm glad you get it!" Taeyeon clapped her hands and laughs.

 

"You're not any better than your students," I grit my teeth angrily. 

 

"Oh come on Fany-ah, just... see for yourself okay?

"You're going to like her," 

"If you don't, then just put an end to it, just give her a chance first," 

"Come on," 

 

"Fany..." 

 

"Ugh, fine. I'll stay but only because I need to say no to her," 

 

"Good," 

"And I'm sorry, I just worry about you, you don't have anyone else other than me in this town," she said as she gives me a sympathetic look.

 

"That's not true," 

 

"Oh come one, name me one person from school that you've spend time with outside school?" 

 

I stopped to think and maybe she's right. 

I do need company. 

 

"Even if it doesn't work out, you'll at least get a friend out of it," 

 

"Fine," 

 

"Thank you!!!" she jumps one inch of the air.

 

"Why are you so happy?"

 

"Because you're willing to try and my cousin won't end up badgering me my whole life for setting up her friend with a no-show," she grinned. 

 

"You're unbelievable," 

 

"I'm the one and only Kim Taeyeon," 

 

"Expect her at around 2 and she'll be coming by to the staffroom so all you have to do is continue your work as usual," 

 

I exhale out loud, what have I gotten myself into? 

 

"Okay, good,"

"Have fun," Taeyeon said before leaving the room. 

 

This will be anything but fun. 

 

 

**** 

 

 

I couldn't concentrate in class at all. 

 

All I could think of was what I should say to my poor date in order to not hurt her feelings. 

 

The entire class started to look at me with confusion when I started rambling randomly. 

 

"Okay, class, read passage three," 

"And answer the comprehension questions once you're done," 

 

It's a good thing I have explained that passage yesterday. 

My obedient students immediately opened up their book and began reading. 

 

 

 

I'm just going to be honest with her, tell her that I'm not looking for anyone and that Taeyeon dragged me into this.

 

Yes, that's right.

 

I take out my compact mirror and I see a woman with an unruly hair looking straight at me.

I wanted to fix it but then maybe this will make it easier for her to get rejected by me. 

 

I do look like a mess, a reflection of how I’m feeling on the inside.

This will turn her off.

 

After the class was finished, I came to the staffroom to get some work done. 

 

It's still early, so my 'date' won't be here until then. (Or she will risk being seen as eager and desperate, which honestly, will not be a good look on anyone)

 

 

 

My effort to get some work done has been fruitless because I kept thinking of escaping this so called arrangement by Taeyeon. 

 

I close my eyes and lay my head on my table so I could think clearly.

 

Who cares if I am a no-show? 

She won't get hurt if I didn't show up right? 

 

 

My thoughts gets interrupted by a sound of someone coughing.

Just then, I realise there is a figure standing in front of my desk. 

 

"Miss Tiffany Hwang?" she asked politely while smiling.

 

I can feel my face heating up.

Suddenly I remember that I am in no condition to speak to someone as attractive as her.

 

Tall and tanned.

Gorgeous body and an alluring smile. 

 

Taeyeon sure wasn't lying about that. 

If anything it was an understatement.

 

 

"Yes, I'm Tiffany Hwang," 

 

"I want to..." 

 

"Wait!" I interrupted before she could say anything. 

She might be insanely hot but I'm still sticking to my decision. 

 

"Look, the reason I'm still here is so I could let you know that I'm not ready to date," 

“I’m just at a messy place right now, you don’t want a complicated girl like me,”

“You don’t deserve that,”

 

She shot me a puzzled look but I refuse to stop talking until I get my point across. 

 

"I actually wanted to leave an hour early but you're already here," 

"You seem like a really good person, and you look really stunning too," I stop to smile at her.

"But I'm just not in a place to date right now, 

 

"I'm really sorry Miss Choi," 

 

She chuckles. 

 

And it's oh so y. 

 

 

"I'm sorry Miss Tiffany," she chuckles some more. 

"But I think you're mistaken," 

 

 

"I'm Kwon Yuri," she held out her hand for a handshake but I was too stunned to move.

 

When have I heard the surname Kwon...?

Where did I…?

 

I can already feel my whole world falling apart because I just made a complete fool of myself.

 

My brain has completely stopped functioning.

 

 

"Kwon Seohyun?" she added when she could see the complete confusion in my facial expression. 

 

"OH!" I opened my mouth wide in shock but I quickly cover with my hand.

 

.

itty .

 

 

did I just say all that to one of my student's mother?

My student's very attractive and stunning mother?

Did I just tell her that she looks stunning? 

 

She stared into my eyes, making me feel worse.

I can feel my cheeks heating up so I'm sure I'm as red as a lobster now. 

 

"Miss Hwang?" 

"Are you okay?" 

"Do you need some water?"

I can detect concern in her voice.

 

I don't know why but I nodded. 

She took her bottle from her bag and gave it to me, and I drank half of the bottle. 

 

"Th... Thank," 

Damn it, why can’t I talk?

 

"No problem, you can keep it," 

 

"Thank... Thank you," 

 

She laughed and I'm pretty sure I've never heard a ier laugh than hers.

For the next few minutes, we’re just staring at each other with question mark on our faces.

 

this is awkward.

 

I might as well salvage the little dignity I have left.

 

"I'm sorry, you see, my friend is trying to set me up with her cousin's friend," 

"And she's supposed to be here at 2, the description was tall and tanned, so I automatically assumed that it was you," 

 

She laughs and I smiled like an idiot.

 

"I just thought my date came earlier than expected, I even prepared this speech telling her why I can't date yet," 

 

She nodded but it looked like another laugh is trying to escape her lips.

 

I'm such an embarrassment.

Where is an earthquake when you need one?

 

I stopped to take a deep breath. 

Fany, you need to calm down!

 

"My turn to talk now?" she asked again, her smile is so beautiful.

I stare at her blankly.

 

"Miss Hwang?" 

 

, I thought I replied her. 

 

"Yes, sure, of course," I said, trying to sound as calm as possible.

“Why are you here? Is there something wrong?”

 

Smooth Fany, ing smooth.

 

"I just want to thank you for the other day, for sending Hyunnie home," her eyes suddenly looks sad. 

 

I don't like her sad eyes.

I prefer it when she smiles.

 

"There was a huge accident and I was stuck in the operating room,"

"I thought I had told someone to pick her up, turns out I didn’t, I'm just glad you were there," 

"If something were to happen to my Hyunnie..." her sad eyes is making my heart sink.

 

"Don't do that, don't beat yourself up," I replied.

"Nothing happened to her, so don’t beat yourself for something that didn’t happen,”

I smiled and reached out for her hand.

 

I only realise what an idiot move that was because I didn’t know what to do with her hand so I end up holding it awkwardly.

 

“Thank you,”

 

“My pleasure, Hyunnie is a wonderful kid. She’s very thoughtful to her peers,”

“This is the card she made for me because I sent her home,” I added happily, partly because I also figured out a way to remove my hand from hers without it being too awkward.

She takes the card from my hand and a wide smile appears on her face as she reads the content.

 

“You’re lucky to have her,”

 

“I know, I am,”

 

“Oh god, I’m sorry, I don’t know why I’m pouring this all out on you,” she smiles awkwardly.

“So sorry,”

 

“No, I mistook you for a potential date, I can at least hear you out,”

The words escaped me before I could stop myself.

I’m a fool.

I feel relieved when I heard the sound of laughter escape her lips once again.

 

 

“You know what, I was actually going to tell Hyunnie this, but since you’re her mother, I figure I should tell you first,”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Your place is only a few blocks from mine, so sending her home isn’t much of a problem. I can send her home again if you’d like, maybe when you’re stuck in the hospital again,”

 

“I mean, in the event you can’t make it to school, I don’t mind lending a hand,” I offered her sincerely.

 

“You would do that?”

 

“Yeah, I mean, if you trust me… After what you witnessed earlier… I understand if you don’t,”

She laughs out loud, probably remembering what a mess I was.

 

“You’re fine,” she reassured me.

“But I don’t want to trouble you,”

 

“No, I like spending time with her. She’s entertaining,” I smiled again.

“Alright, I will inform you if that happens then, thank you so much,” she held out my hand to shake it and this time I hold out my hand instantly, almost too eagerly.

 

She chuckles again.

She must find me so amusing.

That’s okay, she looks good when she laughs.

 

“OMMA!” Seohyun came out of nowhere and gives her mom a hug.

“Hyunnie! I was just talking to your teacher to thank her for the other day,” she explains to her daughter.

Seohyun gives me a thankful smile, her little hand wrapping her mom’s hand.

 

“We better get going now, we still need to get groceries for tonight,”

“We’re going to have a big dinner tonight!!” Seohyun speaks up.

 

“Teacher Fany, do you want to join us?”

 

“AH- no I can’t, I have a thing tonight,”

I can’t spend more time with her or I’ll end up spewing all of the idiotic things in my brain.

 

“But you said you always eat alone?” Seohyun asked with genuine curiosity.

Her mom smiled at this.

 

, now she knows I’m a loner.

 

“Hyunnie-ah, don’t force her if she can’t make it,” her mom said after I give her a helpless look.

“Okay, sorry,” Seohyun pouts.

 

“Maybe next time?” her mom asked and I could see Seohyun’s eyes brightening up again.

 

“Sure,” I answered.

 

“Promise?” Seohyun asked with anticipation.

“Promise,”

 


Tell me what you think of this story so far, feedback would be great xx