Chapter 02

From Me, To You

 

"Seriously, where do you want to go?" Suzy followed his footprints in a hurry, trying to reach him.

It was late at night, Suzy held her breath every time she looked at her watch, almost eleven. She never walked in the middle of the city during this time.

"It's in this district. The bridge, with rainbow fountains. What is it?"

"Ah, Banpo bridge?" Suzy guessed, and she was pretty sure the answer is correct. "Why do you want to go there? Ah, it’s very late. What if we just go home now?"

"Then you can go home alone, I'll get back by myself." Myungsoo said to her, he didn’t look at Suzy because he was busy with his camera.

"If I leave you alone, you will get lost."

"Then go with me."

" I have no choice." Suzy sighed and walked beside him, took him to the street on the edge of  Han river.

During the trip, Suzy continued to nag Myungsoo that this was a bad idea, but it seemed Myungsoo didn’t really care about it.

"It's almost eleven, oh dear."

"You've said the same thing to me for  seventh time, you know." Myungsoo grimaced. "Anyway I've texted to my mother if we work overtime tonight. Take it easy."

Suzy stopped, and Myungsoo stopped as well. He looked back, staring at the girl.

"You lied to your mother?" She squealed with incredible tone.

"It’s just a small lie." Myungsoo grinned and walked back again.

Suzy pouted her lips, but she followed. "I don’t know if you grow up to be such a liar."

"I don’t." Myungsoo walked in front of her, as if he had understood every street in Seoul, though he didn’t. "But sometimes I have to."

"Sometimes all people have to." Suzy squeak and continued to follow him.

They stopped briefly at a roadside tavern. Myungsoo said he wanted to buy a hot coffee over there, while Suzy chose to buy snacks at the supermarket next to it.

She told Myungsoo she didn’t like coffee, although he never asked her.

Then they walked again until they found an empty park bench around there and sat there. They didn’t say anything after that, just sat and looked straight into the rainbow fountain.

Suzy somehow felt she soaked into it.

Then the girl broke the silence. "What’s our purpose to come here?"

Myungsoo put his coffee next to him, it was a little cold but it was still good to him. "Look." He pointed at the bridge. "What happens if I jump from there?"

Suzy almost laughed, but she held it. "Well, what do you expect?"

"What happens if I jump from there?" Myungsoo repeated the question again. It was like a satire to Suzy because she replied to a question with another question, she realized it.

Suzy took a deep breath and throw it away. "You're dead."

"Want to try?"

Suzy stared at him with deadly glance. "It’s just a joke, right?"

Myungsoo didn’t see her after that and laughed for a second time. His laugh still sounded soft and light, and Suzy found his laughter was addictive - almost like a drug.

"Okay, okay. That's a joke. "Myungsoo said and stuck his hands into his coat pocket. "But I want to try it, one day."

"Don’t dare to try." Suzy hissed when she still saw him. "Don’t you fear death?"

He laughed again, but Suzy could not find any pleasure in his voice. The laughter sounded bitter and pessimistic. "I fear life."

For a few moments, no one spoke. Two of them were too busy playing in their own minds.

Until Myungsoo opened his mouth again. "If in the end we all die, why should we live?"

"You sound like never feel happy." Suzy was not interested to answer him.

But Myungsoo just smiled. "You will never understand." Myungsoo opened his bag and pulled out his SLR. "Because you don't really care about it."

"I don't." Suzy refused, but inwardly she just didn’t understand. "Sounds like you're obsessed with it."

"Obsession with what?"

"Life and death. It’s right, isn’t it? "

Myungsoo smiled. "I’m not obsessed." He sighed, "I just can’t forget this quote,life is an illusion."

Suzy laughed bitterly. "What does it mean? That doesn’t make sense for me."

"Forget it. Only few people think it makes sense."

"Whatever." Suzy shrugged. She looked at her watch again, and suddenly screamed, "Oh, look! It's almost 11:11 now!"

Myungsoo tilted his head as he drank his coffee, just stating that he didn’t get it. "Okay...?"

She stared at him. "You don’t know about 11:11?"

"What is it?"

"Oh, well, I'll tell you," Suzy cleared and smiled even though she didn’t know why. "It works just like eyelashes, dandelions, four leaf clovers, and a falling star - well, even though I’ve never seen it. The point is, things like that can help you to make your dreams come true, if you really hope for it. "

"Oh, oh. I understand, "Myungsoo nodded, beginning to feel interested," this works like blow out your birthday candles, isn’t it? "

"Yes! You're right!" Suzy screamed and giggled softly.

And he found it was cute.

Suzy folded her hands and saw at Myungsoo, "Now, close your eyes."

Myungsoo had no idea about ​​it, but he did what she did.

"In your heart, say what you want." Suzy whispered. "Make a wish."

They were silent for a while until she clapped her hands and Myungsoo opened his eyes. He saw her smile at him.

"What are you wishing for?" Suzy asked, curious feeling flooded in her heart.

"Do you have to know it?" Myungsoo grinned.

Suzy shook her head, "I don’t have to, actually. But if you want me to tell what I wish for, you have to tell yours."

"But I don’t care about what you wish for." He said and smirked before Suzy squealed loudly in front of his ear.

"Why do you never care about many things?!" She shouted, but he found it wasn’t rude – it was weird, he thought.

"Because this is who I am," Myungsoo shrugged and smiled.

Suzy looked at him and saw him with half-moon curve on his lips and eyes sparkling, with a background of Banpo bridge and the citylights reflection on the river. It reminded her of some dramas that often watched by his sisters.

"What?" Myungsoo asked her, wondered what was wrong with him.

"Uh, no," Suzy's eyes ran in another direction, and she wasn’t aware that her cheeks flushed for some reason.

Then they talked a lot - about their lives, Americans, books, photography, some philosophy, offices, everything - when Myungsoo took some photos there before they went home with the last subway.

"Let's try it again sometime." Myungsoo advised before they went into their homes.

Suzy was almost falling asleep at the time, but she was sober enough to answer. "I hope I don’t."

Myungsoo laughed for the last time before they were parted.

He didn’t expect today he will be pleased with her, but he didn’t mind at all.


__________________________

 

 

"You come."

"Again." Suzy added one word in Myungsoo’s sentence. She forced herself to laugh, she thought he would be laughed at her but he didn’t.

Myungsoo still wore the same pyjama as yesterday, and she wanted to ask him if he had no other clothes. But Suzy was nobody to him, so she knew it wasn’t a good idea.

Myungsoo always said nothing, just opened the door wider and went upstairs. With that sign Suzy already knew what to do.

She came in and looked around, just as she did yesterday. There were several furniture increased. The living room had a sofa and table, and some picture frames had been hung on the wall.

Suzy saw herself in one picture. She remembered that day, probably when she was ten and Myungsoo was twelve. They took photos under the Christmas tree, two of them smiling broadly. Suzy also remembered when they had to wear the same sweaters, gifts from Myungsoo’s grandma.

Suzy forgot where the sweater was. Maybe in the warehouse, or may already had been lost.

Myungsoo walked from nowhere, suddenly standing next to Suzy. He stared at it blankly, like when I did this and so on. But he caught a glimpse of Suzy smiled, so his lips made a curve.

"Remember this time?" Suzy peeked him beneath her long black hair.

Myungsoo was silent for a while, until he shook his head.

There were wrinkles in Suzy’s forehead as she asked, "Really? I think you remember it well. This is the best Christmas we ever had, you know."

"So I have to remember it?"

Suzy turned her head on Myungsoo, and he already saw her first. "No, that's not what I mean. Someone told me that the people who have amnesia will slowly remember their favorite memories first. "

"I never heard anything like that." Myungsoo enough said and finally walked to the door.

"Maybe you're right," Suzy commented with a sorrowful look in her eyes. "Moreover, people who tell me about that is very stupid."

And as usual, with a carefree step, she followed him.


__________________________

 

 

"Miss Bae, have you completed your article?"

Suzy held her breath when she heard a voice calling her name. She quickly changed the program that displayed on her computer screen.

Right when Miss Im came, she opened her files. "I have, Miss Im." She said with a normal sigh but pounding heart.

Im Yoona - chief editor of MetroTeen magazine since last April – saw Suzy’s article about some movie reviews.

"Good, you're the first one ready." Miss Im showed her a satisfied smile. "Then you have to help other section."

Suzy smiled awkwardly. "What do you mean, Miss?"

"You know, Miss Jung, who wrote another section go to America for three weeks, she took a leave of absence. While others already have additional work for the Christmas edition. So... you know what I mean, right? Miss Bae, can you hear me?"

Suzy had always been in a situation like this, where she didn’t have the option to 'no' in her life.

So she nodded.


__________________________

 

 

It was eight o'clock when Suzy would go back to home. She thought Myungsoo already completed his work on the ninth floor, so she went there.

"Well, hello, Suzy!"

She didn’t expect Minyoung called her name loudly in the photoshoot, but she did.

"What are you doing here, Unni?" Suzy asked. Actually wasn’t too surprised to see the older girl was here, because the fact was, she always went everywhere. "Our office is on the eighth floor."

"Ah, it doesn’t matter." Minyoung waved her hand and laughed. "So, what are you doing here, Suzy?"

"Ask him to go home." Suzy said, pointing at Myungsoo.

She thought how many times he laughed in a day, because he seemed rarely to laugh. He looked more like statues than human because of it. Suzy asked herself, did Myungsoo behave like this when they were kids. But she wasn’t sure.

"Oh, no, no, no. You’re not allowed to go home." Minyoung shook her head. "You have to join the party."

Suzy raised her eyebrows. "Party?"

"Of course. We should welcome this young man, right? And, you know, it's Friday. "

Minyoung laughed, but Suzy just couldn’t find anything funny in there.

"So?"

"That boy and you. You two must join the party. "

Suzy couldn’t find a worse thing than that.


__________________________

 

 

"You look rumpled." Myungsoo said when he saw the girl's face.

Suzy didn’t answer, she just shrugged and walked beside him.

They and their friends had reached Hongdae, the center of nightclubs in Seoul. To be honest she wasn’t too fond of places like this. She liked being in a crowded place, but the nightclub wasn’t something that she expected to. The more she thought about it the more it made her didn’t like it.

"Let me guess," Myungsoo grinned. "You’ve never go here, have you?"

Suzy grunted. "Of course I have." She didn’t want to seem like a snotty girl in front of Myungsoo - actually, in front of everyone.

"Often?"

"Not really, just to accompany some friends of mine." Suzy sighed heavily when they arrived.

Minyoung was leading the way, with Kikwang and Hongki and other men. All she knew was Minyoung liked being around men, so she was used to it.

"And what about you?" Suzy asked Myungsoo, when he was trying to take some photos from his camera.

Myungsoo loved taking photos; anything, anytime, anywhere. Suzy found it was annoying sometimes, but sometimes it wasn’t. She wanted to ask him could she see the pictures, but she didn’t have courage enough for that.

"About what?" He asked without care.

"Night club."

"Something that familiar for me."

Suzy hoped she wouldn’t believe it, but she believed. "Really?"

Myungsoo just grinned and suddenly Lee Howon was embracing him from behind.

They walked together, when Suzy left behind by Kang Jiyoung and others, and she didn’t talk to him again after that.


__________________________

 

 

Suzy coughed and hugged herself. She always hated being in a place like this, until she forgot how many times she wished she could get out of here.

But out of here alone wasn’t a good thing, she thought.

A girl was sitting next to her at that time. "You look uncomfortable." Krystal Jung commented to her, and drank the odd glass of purple liquid.

It reminded Suzy of her sister's liquid soap when she saw that drink. "I do." Suzy grunted and checked her cell phone, no call or message. So maybe Myungsoo already sent a message to their parents again.

Krystal just laughed. She broke her words because the two men were coming toward them at that time.

Choi Minho smiled at Krystal sheepishly, helding out his hand and said, "Want to dance?"

Krystal just laughed shyly and nodded, following Minho to the dance floor.

Suzy was on guard when she saw the other man, at least until she realized that was Myungsoo.

"You're not dancing?"

"You ask me to dance?"

Myungsoo chuckled, "Of course not."

"I think that's an insult." Suzy whispered, it was thin and smooth in the air.

Myungsoo can’t hear her but he knew she was speaking. "What are you saying?"

Suzy just shook her head. "Nothing."

"Whatever." Myungsoo shrugged but then pulled Suzy's hand.

The girl almost shrieked, but she held her voice, so she just followed when he brought her together in a crowd.

"Now, dance!"

The voice of upbeat song boomed louder even until Myungsoo had to shout at her.

"But I can’t..."

"What?!"

"I can’t dance!" Suzy finally shouted. Unfortunately too strong until the peple around them paid some attention for a moment. Suzy filled with red hue on her face.

"Relax, me too!" Myungsoo didn’t seem care with the mess earlier.

"So what are we doing here?"

"Express your heart," said Myungsoo and danced, just like the others, "with dancing."

Suzy didn’t know how to do it but at least she tried. Did some new things was something that interested to her, so he danced with Myungsoo though it looked awkward.

Myungsoo stopped to dance and laughed loudly. Again, he showed a new expression in front of Suzy. Suzy had no idea why it sounded like an angel whispering in her ear.

"You're weird!" Myungsoo claimed, as usual, carelessly.

"Like you’re not." Suzy laughed lightly.

They kept dancing and dancing - though it was extremely awkward and embarrassing and stupid – until Suzy complained him to went back home because she was too tired.

Myungsoo said yes, and Suzy thought it was weird. But she didn’t care about it again, by the way, because she was really really sleepy.

"Night club isn’t that bad, is it, Suzy?" Myungsoo asked her that night, for the last time.

They were in the last subway again that night. Suzy rested her head on the window, when Myungsoo took some photos.

Suzy held her smile and closed her eyes. "Maybe you're right."

Myungsoo smiled softly after it, but Suzy didn’t see it.

Suzy sighed. "Sometimes you're right."

She fell asleep after that and Myungsoo couldn’t let himself to wake her up. So even though he sighed and moaned, he did piggyback to Suzy and brought her to house. He was grateful to himself because he could remember way back into house quickly.

He didn’t know if she was half awake at the time.

And she didn’t know why her heart skipped a beat.

 


__________________________

 

A/N: Hello, this is eternally! I'm sorry because i can't reply all of your comments now, but i promise i'll answer it T_T Again... thank you for reading, subscribing, and commenting my story!