Chapter 05

From Me, To You

 

 

"Morning."

As usual, Suzy greeted her worker friends that Monday morning - the things she did every day. Some of them stood near the coffee machine, some of them gathered together around Minyoung’s desk, and the rest just sat at their own desks.

And there she was, at Minyoung’s desk, bunch of her friends were talking there. They ignored her greeting and continued gossiping. Suzy was usually fine with it, but not this time, because they continued to whisper while looking at her. She simply knew something was wrong.

So it wasn’t even up to a minute she sat in her chair, she immediately stood up and approached them.

"Okay, I know you guys are talking about me," she said when she got there, but her eyes were only focused to one person. "Right, Minyoung unni?"

Minyoung, who sat in her chair with a glass of hot coffee, just shrugged and smiled. "I tell them nothing between you and Myungsoo."

Suzy sighed and rolled her eyes, "Oh yeah, you just do it."

"I'm just saying that you went out together last night. Not that I tell them that you have a special relationship. "

One of the five girls who gathered there - the blond one, Kim Hyuna - gasped. "You guys really dating?"

"No! We. Are. No. Dating! He and I are just friends, and yesterday he told me to bring him to the photo gallery - since I was his old friend and his neighbor!" Suzy almost snapped, looking not too concerned on the face of her friends’ facial expression that time. "I won’t like him, even it’s just once. He's not even my type, why can’t you understand?"

"Can’t understand what?"

That deep voice. She bit her lip and turned her head back. Exactly what she predicted, Myungsoo, of course. He saw them with a flat expression, but with bewildered eyes. Suzy had understood him little by little, he expressed not with face but with eyes. And she wanted to understand him more, day by day.

"Oh, hello, Myungsoo." Krystal muttered his name under her breath and waved at him, and he responded well.

"Isn’t your office one floor higher?" Suzy wanted to ask politely, but her voice sounded like a complaint.

"Well, indeed. But I can’t refuse if our boss call me." He said and pointed Miss Im’s door.

"Oh," is the only word that she found it convenient to reply his answer, so she said nothing more after that.

"And, by the way, can I know what you're talking about?" He asked and looked around, but then stopped in Suzy’s eyes, "I hear Suzy talking about her 'type', is this about man?"

Suzy grunted and hastily elbowed his ribs, she shouted "Shut up, Myungsoo!"

The rest of the girls just stared at them with puzzled and curious mixed. Too many questions in their minds; what did he mean, why did she laugh, why he seemed distracted, and more - but those were just unspoken thoughts.

"Now get up to your office, and don’t come back again!" She almost shouted and pushed his back toward the elevator.

But after two steps, he turned again with a big smile that maked Suzy - and Minyoung and others - held their breath.

"Oh, and, please wait for me during lunch in the lobby, okay?"

Suzy tilted his head, "Huh?"

"Can’t you hear me?" He thought that she couldn’t hear his voice, so he held her shoulder and put his mouth right in front of her ear. "I said, wait for me in the lobby during lunch. There's something I must tell you.”

Suzy could still see Jiyoung hopping in her place, whispering softly at Jia. "I know! He’ll confess his feeling to Suzy later! "And after that there was little mess there.

"You'd better go now, before they misunderstand - uh, no, they are already. I mean, before they really go crazy." She released his hand on her shoulder and throw it in the air.

A little part of him died inside when he realised.

But he said nothing, afterall. Just because he knews she didn’t care about his comments.

"Okay." He nodded and walked to the elevator. "See you later."

"Bye, Myungsoo!" She said, didn’t really care, then turned back to her friends. "Okay, girls! Now I'll clean up this misunderstanding! First, don’t believe at Minyoung unni..."

Myungsoo saw her back from the gap before the elevator closed, and all he could do was smile.

 

__________________________

 

 

"So there's nothing between you two?" Jiyoung asked for the eighth time, Suzy count.

She was tired of watching her best friend was pacing back and forth from her own desk to desk, only to repeat the same question. She also was tired of answering, "Yes. We're just old friends, nothing more than that."

"No heart feelings?"

"Well, what did you expect?"

"Everything that you don’t expect."

Suzy laughed and saw her in the eyes - Jiyoung squatted, so Suzy had to bend to align their views - and then said, "If we’re always opposite, how can we be friends?"

"And that's how polar opposites attract," Jiyoung simply answered. "How can someone who’s completely different in some - sometimes, every - ways, complement each other. They make things to be perfect and they don’t even know how it works. They just do it, they’re interested and ... pop!"

"It all becomes a reality?" Suzy cut her words and Jiyoung didn’t matter though. Suzy giggled and she did too.

"So I think you guys like it, positive and negative poles. Well, it doesn’t mean the negative pole is a bad thing. I don’t want to say if you are the negative pole, but that doesn’t mean Myungsoo is the negative pole and he is bad. Okay, this is complicated, and I'm confused. I mean, you're different in many ways and I think you're like polar opposites, and - "

"I understand. Now, back to your table before Miss Im peeks you again from his office window."

Jiyoung grinned and nodded quickly. "Oh, oh. Okay. I just want to say you guys match perfectly. And sorry if I disturb you, I just want to find some inspiration to write the story and - "

"Hey, Miss Kang! Go back to your desk! Why are you so noisy?! "Kim Kibum, from advertising section, who sat next to Suzy immediately gibbered. Kibum had always disturbed to hear a little commotion, and Suzy was used to it - thanks for him, Suzy became calmer since they sat side by side.

Jiyoung glance at him cynically and snorted. "Yes, I understand!" She screamed out loud and walked toward her own desk.

"It's okay, Jiyoung!" Suzy told the girl and waved, then said to Kibum, "Sorry, Kibum!"

"Yes, yes, yes. Okay, shut up now. I'm busy working."

Suzy took a deep breath and throw it away slowly, nodding for some time. She saw the computer screen again, but her mind wasn’t directed to it - and she even didn’t know where it went.

 

__________________________

 

 

"Sorry I'm late."

Suzy looked back when she heard a familiar voice in her ears. She smiled once, "It's okay, I just arrived."

"Oh."

"Uh, so, what’s your purpose to call me here? I must be quick because I haven’t lunch and - "

He interrupted, "That's my purpose."

"What?"

"Buy you lunch, after you do it yesterday." He said something good, but his face didn’t show much interest to do so. "I have money too."

"I'm not asking you to do the same thing." She shrugged and put her fists into her coat pocket. "That's okay, really. I’m a good person so I'm not asking you to return the favor, hahaha! Hahaha... Oh well, you know, I'm not very good at making jokes."

Myungsoo just smiled and said, "It's okay. There's only me here, I won’t laugh."

"Okay, I don’t consider it as compliment or insult." Suzy hissed and shook her head. "But it's also a good idea if you're going to buy me a meal. Probably eating ramen in this  cold afternoon is good too."

"Look who's seemed happy now..." Myungsoo whispered softly.

"What are you saying?"

"Oh? Nothing, just talking to myself." He saw her and immediately moved his feet forward. "Give me a recommendation, where is the most delicious restaurant around here?"

"Oh, I know!" She cried out and followed his lead. "Two blocks from here, and the restaurant has the best ramen in this district! The price is also not too expensive, and everyone in our office love it. Hey, we'll go over there? Really?"

"Of course. Have I ever lied to you?"

"Well, many times, although we meet only five days."

"Five days, and as well as previous years - twelve years."

"Like you remember everything..."

"Do you remember everything?"

"At least I remember my childhood more than you."

"At least I have more girlfriends than you."

She snorted loudly and he laughed delightedly. He was pretty sure he could always tease Suzy with that 'love and relationship' issues like now, and he still wasn’t satisfied with it all.

"Do you remember how many girls you’ve dated before?" She asked suddenly. He quite shocked, but he didn’t matter at all.

"My best friend in America told me this," Myungsoo closed his eyes and tried to remember.

They walked down sidewalks then, passing through many people. Their feet rubbing with dry leaves - herfavorite - and he always found peace in moments like this.

"How much? How much? More than five?" Suzy asked with impatient feeling.

"Probably nine, or ten, I forget." He tilted his head, the corner of his eyes could see the girl's eyes widened.

She gasped, "Seriously? That much?! You don’t lie, right?"

"Whatever, if you don’t believe it." He shrugged and kept walking.

"No, no, no. I believe you, it's just that I'm a little surprised, that's all." She said. In fact she wasn’t quite satisfied to ask, but it would be very rude of her to ask that private things, so she said nothing.

"Oh yes, I call you here because of the good news." He told her right when they reached the restaurant’s door. He grinned, indicating he was in a good mood today.

"Have you watch Kungfu Panda? One of the character, the turtle one, once said that no news are good and bad in this world. That's just the news. Oh, okay, I talk too much," she scratched her head," now tell me what news."

"Sungyeol and me suddenly became good friends last night."

"Well it's just great news!" Suzy gave him two thumbs. "Wait, how does it happen? Is this a long story? "

"That's why I bring you here." He replied, his thin smile slowly widened.

There was a brief pause after that, when they chose the seat in a corner of the room and they started ordering food. Because he never been here before so he just chose the same order as hers.

The time when she wanted to open , his phone rang and he should got it, so she held her words for a while and looked around the room.

"Hello... Yes, this is Kim Myungsoo... Ah? It's coming... Oh, okay, yes... Excuse me, can you just don’t take it to my home? ... Oh, thank you. You can transfer to XXX street, right? The restaurant just down the road ... Yes, yes, thank you very much. I can wait for half an hour."

"Who's that?" She said immediately, even before Myungsoo could release his phone from his ear.

He sometimes felt a little disturbed  how people like to ask the things that sometimes none of their business, how Suzy liked to do that. "Do you need to know?"

She was mute, but finally opened slightly, "No, actually."

"Then don’t ask." He sighed and put his cell phone into his pocket.

"But ask about the other persons can make you closer to them," She gave a reason, "the trick in our society."

"That doesn’t apply to me."

"So that means you have no society, huh?"

"Whatever you say."

Suzy's eyes narrowed, "You know, sometimes it's hard to talk with the fit with you."

"Maybe," he shrugged, "it's because we're different."

Different - opposite. Polar opposites. Polar opposites attract.

She pulled her breath, "No! That can not happen!" She almost screamed out loud.

He was even surprised at her behavior, "Hey, what happened to you?"

"Huh? Oh, oh, no," Suzy shook her head and forced a laugh, "as you did before, perhaps, trying to talk to myself. Oh, okay, now I want to know how you guys became good friends. Quickly tell me!"

 

__________________________

 

 

Myungsoo put his guitar next to him. His old guitar, his mother said the guitar was purchased on his fourteenth birthday by Suzy’s dad. Myungsoo didn’t remember those days, but he believed his mom - one thing he could do.

Sitting on the roof of his house was probably the most exciting thing for him. Just lied there, looking straight into the night sky. Sometimes it had some stars and moon, sometimes it didn’t, but he was fine with that.

Because what he needed was only silence.

Sometimes when he looked into the sky, he thought about himself. He wanted to remember his past, he wanted to feel the things that he forgot, he wantedto know how it felt to be the old Myungsoo. And he -

"You're here!"

A man's voice startled him from behind, almost making him lose his balance and falling off the roof. He turned to the sound source, didn’t expect Lee Sungyeol climbed onto the roof of his house - his private space, for himself - with two glasses of lemonade in his hand.

"Hello, Myungsoo!"

"Uhm - yeah, hi." Myungsoo rose from his lied and nodded. "Hey, how did you get here?"

"You don’t hear me and my family come?" Sungyeol asked him and he immediately shook his head. "Ah, you know how parents. They will be busy visit each other and remember the old days. Well, I actually didn’t participate at first, but your mother asked me to put your television. Oh, actually my job is scriptwriter in the theater, but i’m good at fixing many electronic things. If yours is damaged, you can call me. No need to pay. "

"No need to pay?" Myungsoo repeat, his eyebrows went up.

"Of course. We're friends, right? "

No answer from Myungsoo there. Sungyeol was tired of waiting for it, and Myungsoo just looked straight into the sky - to think or not, Sungyeol didn’t actually know.

In fact Myungsoo just confused. He met this guy this morning, and their meetings were not too good for him. He didn’t like seeing his teeth gleaming, happy smile, and childish voice. It seemed fake to him, but he couldn’t help it.

And friend was an important word to him, that word was only owned by people who had believed him, so he was a little hesitant to reply.

"It's okay if you don’t want to be friends with me," Sungyeol said, grinning. He sighed and laid back. "As long as you don’t mind me being next to you."

Myungsoo sighed, "Okay, we can be friends. But you have to tell me some things."

Sungyeol turned his face at Myungsoo, his large eyes shining brightly. "What is it? What?"

"Probably about my past, about the relationship between you and me, my relationship and Suzy – our childhood."

"Okay ... That's it?"

"Yes, what else? Why?"

Sungyeol laughed lightly. "I can tell you more than that."

Myungsoo grinned, he became interested in this conversation. "Then, tell me."

 

__________________________

 

 

Suzy swallowed the food in before she asked, "Just because it?"

"What?" Myungsoo responded with another question.

"Just because he told you about something, you assume it to be the beginning of your friendship?"

"That means I believe him." He smiled faintly. "Moreover, he also talked a lot about you, about your past and your ill."

She formed wrinkles on her forehead. "My ill? I don’t even know if I'm sick."

"Yes, you have a disease, and I might have a way to cure it." Said Myungsoo stopped and pulled out his phone again, pressing a few buttons before put it to his ear. "Hello? Are you there yet?... Oh, already out ?!... Yes, I'll be right there! "

Suzy watched the man's act in silence, watching the way he flipped his hair and stood up from his chair.

"Let's pay it all before we leave." Myungsoo said to her, and immediately pulled her wrist.

"But we haven’t even finished eating - "

"It's okay. After all I pay for it. "He told her and pulled out his wallet. The cashier told them how much to pay and he gave the cashier some money, and they immediately left the restaurant after taking the rest of his money.

"What would you tell me now?" She stopped running while Myungsoo seem to find someone in the crowd.

"Wait a minute." He advised. Myungsoo walked up the street, met a man with glasses and shorter than him. They spoke briefly before the man gave him a kind of key, and the man went away.

She was the impatient one, so  she immediately went at him and hastily asked him, "What is it? What happened? Who is he? "

He chuckled and glanced at her sharply. "Can you calm down for a while?"

"Oh, forgive me." She lowered her head.

"No," He softly patted her head and told, "lift your head. See, this is the thing i have to show you!"

She just obeyed his orders and looked toward.

A motorcycle.

"What is this?" She said.

"This is my new motorcycle," He answered with a sense of pride filled his heart. "And you must accompany me to drive around the city."

She didn’t budge for a while, but then she shook her head with a shudder. "No, no, no. I'll take the subway and you - "

"I already know, Suzy. About your fears with vehicle on the highway, from Sungyeol."

 

 

__________________________