Chapter 2

Project Alice

 

12.45 pm         Hanhwa Shopping Mall

The darkness of the place did not bother her.Neither did the dusty air and dirty floor.All that she knew was that she was tired, and needed to sleep.Immediately.I did it...I killed my own father...Tears formed and started flowing down, staining her face.She clutched her metal baseball bat tightly.

Yoon Bomi cried.Her father had turned all psycho just 30 minutes ago, and tried to kill her, so she killed him.

It was a normal day at home,and Bomi was idling around,switching tv channels every now and then because there wasn't anything interesting to watch.Her parents went grocery shopping together,leaving her and her siblings at home.

Bomi was walking to the fridge to get some food when she heard something smash to the ground.Something that sounded like pots.Curiosity took hold of her and she strolled to the door but before she could even open it, the door was pushed open forcefully, causing Bomi to lose her balance and fall to the ground.

"What the?"she shouted,then caught sight of her father.

"Dad?What are you-"her words were cut off for her father suddenly lunged forward at her, teeth baring and ready to strike.In that split second, Bomi saw that his teeth was somewhat different,sharper,scarier.She rolled away just in time and scrambled to her feet, running to her room to grab her favourite possession and possible weapon for self defense-her metal baseball bat.

Just as she laid her hands on her baseball bat,Bomi's father came for a second attack."Dad what's happening?"She screamed,struggling to fight him off.A final powerful push managed to get him off of her,and then Bomi swung her bat towards his skull, again and again, until he stopped moving.The adrenaline went away gradually,and Bomi gasped at the sight of her father, bashed up.

Her siblings came down from his room from the noise and was rendered speechless at the sight of their dead father."Noona?What did you do?"Her younger brother asked timidly,fear was apparent in his eyes as he looked at her.

"I..he.."Bomi did not know how to explain.She took a step towards her siblings, but they backed off,her younger sister hyemi wrapping a protective arm around their brother.

What did I do? She in disbelief at the sight of her father.Am I going crazy?I am a murderer!And,whether it was her imagination or not, her father seemed to be writhing and twitching, even though he was still before.Bomi decided to run away from the scene.It was the only way.She could not face her siblings after how they looked at her.

And on the streets, it was pandemonium.Her father was not the only one turning into a lunatic and attacking people.Screams and the metallic scent of blood filled the air.Bomi clutched her bat tighter.She was so tired and just wanted to be alone for awhile to figure out what was happening,so the idea to sneak into the old abandoned shopping mall seemed like a good idea.And now that she was here, all she wanted to so was to close her eyes and hope that when she woke up, everything would be fine.

---

3.30pm         ELITE HEADQUARTERS

"I want to stop this."Yookyung declared.Yuto and her were having lunch in the large scale cafeteria that was more like a restaurant,and they chose their usual corner seat with the great views and privacy.

"You are crazy,"came the reply.Yuto gave a crooked smile."How exactly can you stop this?"

"I need help, obviously.I need to find a way to stop ELITE for good.Maybe I can release the cure to the world."The ELITES were immune to the virus Alice because they were all injected with The Cure weeks ago.This meant that the infected would not be interested in them at all.

"Between me and you,everyone supports ELITE here.How are we going to pull this off?"

"That's why I need help from the outside."

"But as of now, ELITE is a secret organization.How are you going to convince people to help you?Once they catch you trying to betray them, it will be over for you too."

"Its okay if you don't want to help me."Yookyung said crisply, slightly annoyed that Yuto wasn't supporting her.

"I will!"he protested, then bit his lip,thinking."I'll help you get some weapons from the weaponry room, I think it'll be easy.Why don't you go to surveillance,see what you can do?"

"Thanks, I know I can count on you."Yookyung smiled.

--
In the surveillance room, Yookyung approached Noah. He was a worker at ELITE, an annoying guy who was loud and obnoxious. But Yookyung sensed that she could get some information from him. "So how is it?"She asked casually.

"1/12 of the world's population affected already,this virus is hella strong."

"Wow, can I take a look?"Yookyung gestured to the numerous screens and the ever changing live surveillance tape shown on them.

"Sure,I need the washroom anyway."

The screens showed horrible images.People turning.People screaming.Running.She had to find a way to get The Cure to them,somehow.Then maybe she could gather an army down there to help her stand up against ELITE.Having more people on her side would certainly help her.But then,ELITE had the most advanced technology.She was no match to that.But she had to do something.Yookyung was desperate for good ideas.She searched through her brain, but couldn't find any.The only thing to do is to get away from here first, and try to gather an army, strong enough to defeat ELITE.She hurried to find Yuto,a glimmer of hope inside her.

--

3.00 pm 

The sun was hanging in the sky, radiant, and directing all its rays down on earth.Chorong hated it.They have been running for a full ten minutes now, and managed to successfully avoid any of those zombie like things.

"We're here!" The girl announced,and looked around before opening the big double glass doors.

"Wait,what?Why are we here in this old place?"Chorong had only been following the girl's footsteps that she didn't even know where they were.

"Trust me, no one's going to be here.This mall has been abandoned for over 10 years already.And right now, we don't wanna be anywhere near people."
The mall looked creepy and rundown, and Chorong shivered."Let's go upstairs,"The girl said,clutching her axe firmly in case of any unexpected danger.

"What's your name?" Chorong asked.After all, it looks like they would be stuck together for a long long time.

"Eunji.Jung Eunji."

"Oh.I'm Park Chorong.23 years old."

"I'm-"

Hushed whispers and footsteps were heard behind them.Eunji signaled Chorong to be quiet, then stepped in front of her,axe in hand.

"Who's there?"

"I said, who's there!Show yourselves!"

Chorong's heart thumped.What if those were some hooligans or rapists?She was unarmed, and two girls versus a group of men had a very obvious outcome.She shouldn't have trusted Eunji on this,the place did give her creepy vibes after all.

But then, it was three girls who rounded the corner.They looked pretty young.One was holding a knife, which was pointed at them.Chorong could feel Eunji relax slightly.

"Are you guys infected?"The one with the knife asked.

"If you mean whether we have gone all crazy and started biting people,the answer is no," Eunji replied, and lowered her axe.

The girl lowered her knife too."Let's go somewhere to talk.I believe we should find out what is happening around here."

"Alright,"Chorong found herself speaking, and together the five headed upstairs,stepping on the dusty escalator.

"The convenience store!" One of the girls exclaimed, and they went inside.Bright lights came on,the work of Eunji, who was grinning beside the switches.

"Wow, the electricity still works around here?"Chorong asked, and inspected and the dusty counter.

"Apparently,"knife-girl answered."I found a radio guys,maybe they will report about what's going on,"

"Oh my god!Holy someone's here!"The girl with the long hair and big eyes shouted.Eunji and knife-girl grabbed their weapons instinctively.There was a girl with long wavy hair sleeping in the corner of the store.She seemed to have been awakened by the noise, and slowly opened her eyes, her hands clutched around a metal baseball bat which was stained with blood.

"Wh-what?!Who are you guys!"She was fully awakened now,and she was furious."Get out!Now!"

Eunji stepped towards her but she swung her bat nearly hitting Eunji."What the?"Now, Eunji was angry as well,because the stranger woke up and shouted at them, as if the place was hers.

"Everybody stop!"Chorong stepped between the two and glared at them."Go and sit down and we shall discuss things through."

"You," she pointed her finger at Bomi."You can join us.Or leave.It would be smarter to join us, of course.There is strength in numbers."She added hastily.

Bomi hesitated for awhile,but after all, she had no where to go, so she agreed to join them.

The group gathered around the floor in a circle.

 

 

Comments are much appreciated!