Chapter 4

Project Alice
Note:The previous chapters have been edited,I added some stuff!Thanks for reading!
 
7.35pm ELITE HEADQUARTERS
 
Yuto made his way out of the corridor that led to the hangar quickly, wanting to avoid being seen,but it was just his luck that Flynn,the tall and muscular American security guard had to see him.
 
"What are you doing here?"Flynn asked, his tone dripping with suspicion.
 
"Nothing,just having a walk,"Yuto replied lightly and offered a small smile.He hoped he didn't seem too suspicious.
 
Flynn sized him up,then replied "Okay."
 
It was probably because his uncle was one of the leaders of ELITE that Flynn let him off.At rare times like this,Yuto was actually grateful for his uncle.
 
8.50pm  Somewhere near south korea
 
Yookyung had started her journey with a heavy heart.Her destination was South Korea,where she could communicate with the people there and convince them to fight alongside her,even though Japan is closer to the ELITE headquarters,a giant airship above somewhere in the pacific ocean.She was acutely aware of the fact that she had betrayed ELITE,stolen their weapons,The Cure,and an airplane. By now,they must have realized it.She had to hurry up,for time was all she had.Once they find out what she had done,it would be easy to track her down.And possibly destroy her.
 
Her mother was oblivious as usual at dinner.Yookyung remembered her downing her glass of champagne happily and conversing with her father and his friends,fellow ELITE politicians.Little did she know that her daughter would pull such a stunt.Her mother was always agreeing with her father, as if she had no opinions of her own.Yookyung despised her slightly,but her mother had always treated her well,despite her shortcomings.
 
As for her father, he was a hopeless case.He was one of those who supported Project Alice from the start.Yookyung could never understand why her own father was like that-social climbing,ruthless,grovelling,cold.And perhaps Yookyung took after her father a little,even though she would never admit it out loud.She was ambitious and had little friends because of her outward cold appearance.But she had always wanted to do something good,unlike her father.
 
Now,it was her time to make a change.And she had to make it happen.
 
The screen showed that she was nearing Seoul.It's really happening,I have to face the infected,and somehow deliver The Cure into their bloodstream.
 
Suddenly,the screen showed that something was tracking her,three somethings that had to be missiles sent by ELITE.Yookyung panicked internally because she had never dealt with this before.One of the missiles was getting very close to her, so Yookyung swerved down low, low enough to start seeing skyscrapers.She had to swerve left,and then right.And then she was heading straight for two building built close to each other.She groaned with effort as she turned the plane vertically to slip past the two skyscrapers.It was a close shave.A loud explosion sounded and one of the missiles disappeared from her radar,having smashed into a building."Yes!One down,two to go!"Yookyung shouted,adrenaline rushing through her veins.
 
The other two were in hot pursuit,and this time Yookyung headed straight for another building-and at the last moment,flew the airplane up towards the sky,she could hear the crates tumbling and her heart beating loudly.Another crash happened,and the sound was deafening.Still,there was only one left,and when Yookyung was stabilizing the plane,the last missile came for her.
 
"!"
 
Her reaction wasn't fast enough so it still hit her left wing,causing the plane to spiral out of control and landing roughly onto the road.Yookyung coughed due to the thick smoke arising from her plane that had caught fire."Ugh."she released her seatbelt and walked out of the airplane,unstable.Maybe it was just the smoke,but she felt very dizzy after flying the airplane like a rollercoaster.And was that blood she was feeling from her forehead?Her vision blurred and she tried to blink it off,but it didn't work.The last thing she saw were humans running towards her before she collapsed.
 
9.15pm ELITE HEADQUARTERS,dormitory
 
Yuto paced around in his suite.He was worried as hell.
 
Earlier,when the guards found out that an airplane was flown illegally,there was chaos.And when Yookyung's mother found out her daughter went missing,there was even more chaos.Yookyung had already taken off her tracker,the ultra light ID bracelet the ELITE all had to wear,which meant that her location was unknown,and since she was nowhere to be found, it was deduced that she was the one that stole the plane.Furthermore,one of the scientists reported that two crates of The Cure was missing,adding fuel to the fire.Yuto had tried his best to act normal,but he was panicking internally and scrambling his brain for ideas to delay ELITE from taking action.
 
"It can't be my daughter!"Yookyung's mother,Mrs Hong, cried at Doctor Abrams,the callous leader of ELITE,while her father kept quiet and stone faced.She was on her knees crying and making a scene in the middle of the surveillance room.
 
"Well,who else can it be?Me?"Doctor Abrams replied sarcastically,and then spat on the floor,clearly livid with anger.
 
"I can't imagine what she wants to do.Does she truly believe that she can reverse the effects of Project Alice?"laughed Dawn."Pathetic." At this, Yuto felt anger rise up inside him,but managed to subdue it.He had to do something.Create a distraction.
 
He chuckled lightly."That's unbelievable.A girl trying to stop Project Alice?I reckon she was just bored and wanted to escape,wanted to rebel a little."He said it full of conviction,like it was the most natural thing.
 
"Yes,yes I bet that's what happened," Yookyung's mother said."She will come back soon enough."
 
Doctor Abrams narrowed his eyes,then said:"Very well."
 
He strode to the surveillance screen tracking the airplane.There was no way Yuto could get past that,but he was contented to see that Yookyung was reaching South Korea already."Give her 30 minutes,let her fly,"the stocky man ordered the polish woman Sophie who was head of the surveillance team."Then,send some missiles after her.I want to see her plane go down."Doctor Abrams was expressionless as he said that,but Yuto paled.
 
"No!Please!No!"Mrs Hong grabbed the cruel man's legs and started begging for mercy.
 
"I won't stand for betrayers."he seethed in reply.Yookyung's father dragged the devastated woman away.Yuto couldn't believe that he didn't try to stop someone from killing his own daughter.It was mind boggling.
 
"Ouch!"Noah said,but he seemed to be enjoying it."That girl is going down!"he imitated a plane crashing with his fingers.Yuto wanted to punch him in the face.
 
"But,don't you think that she had to have an accomplice?"he continued annoyingly.
 
"I don't know."Yuto offered."Can you show me how Japan is doing?I'm curious,you know."He wanted to stick around for when they started an attack an Yookyung.
 
"Sure,buddy!"
 
----
 
When she avoided the first missile,Yuto was immensely proud of her.When she avoided the second one,Yuto felt something hopeful.Maybe she can survive this.In the end Yookyung's plane was hit,and it felt like the light inside of him was dimmed greatly.To survive a crash from that height wasn't impossible,but the chances were slim.And it was dangerous for her to be alone and injured.
 
When she crashed,the job was done for Sophie.They had no means to check if she was still alive or not.She had landed in a remote place with no cctv at all,and ELITE takes control of the world's cctvs for surveillance.Yuto had sent about 10 messages to her on her phone,which he had removed the tracker from.Still, there was no reply. He reminded himself to act normal, or else it would be evident that he was the accomplice.And that would mean a grim fate.There was nothing left to do but hope for now.