Chapter 14

Project Alice

12.03pm         KBS Broadcasting Station

 

Bomi led the group towards the big, imposing building that was once a broadcast station. Through the station, they hoped to make a public announcement that would be transmitted throughout all of South Korea. Although they had one tiny problem–the only person that knew the place was Taejoon, who was currently injured. 

 

"Which floor do we go to?" Chorong asked. 

 

Taejoon was sickly pale and could hardly stand on his own, he had to supported by Xiao and another man. He answered in between laboured breaths that it would be the fourteenth floor. Being their scout, Bomi ran ahead of the pack to check out the building. Through the wide double glass doors, she saw that the place was surprisingly empty. Though there was evidence of the infected, as the floor was bloody. "It’s empty!" Bomi called out to the rest. At least it seems like it is.

 

Yuri arrived by her side and peered through the doors. "Huh. Should we take the stairs or the lift?"

 

"The stairs are definitely safer," Yookyung said.

 

"I’m afraid Taejoon won’t be able to go up so many flights of stairs," Xiao announced. "Unless somebody stays behind with him."

 

"But who will know how to send the message out?" Chorong countered.

 

Namjoo raised her hand. "I think I can handle it, I was in the radio club in school after all. It should be kind of similar, right?"

 

Xiao gave an apprehensive smile. "Alright. Who else is going with her?" 

 

Bomi, Chorong raised their hands at the same time Yookyung spoke up that she would go too.

 

"Looks like we have some trouble here," Yuri said, a look of concern evident on her face. A couple of infected were heading towards the group, but most seemed to be only at stage 1.

 

"You guys deal with them. If we’re not back by 30 minutes, send help." Yookyung said, bracing her katana in her hands. Bomi and her nodded at each other. It was time to do or die.


12.15pm         Chawon Kindergarten

 

Jae spent the past eight minutes trying to start up a school bus to no avail. 

 

"Maybe we should go by foot?" Naeun suggested. For sure, they were wasting precious time. The infected could climb out of the vent anytime.

 

Exasperated, Jae hit the dashboard. And miraculously, the bus’s engine started. "Yes!" Jae shouted at the same time Eunji let out a sigh of relief.

 

"Okay, let’s get a move on. We have to get to that broadcast station as soon as possible." Hayoung said, and fiddled with her watch’s gps. "We’re about 15 minutes away from it."

 

"Alright, I’ll get us there in no time," Jae replied.

 

With Hayoung guiding Jae and Eunji taking care of Kyla, Naeun turned around to go and sit with Seungjae, who was sitting near the back of the bus.

 

"Are you okay?" Naeun said as she made her way over to Seungjae, who seemed a little pale and uneasy. 

 

"Yeah, yeah I’m fine. I think I’m just not feeling too well after all that happened." The group had narrowly escaped a group of infected in a preschool just minutes before, and it was an ordeal that Naeun for sure didn’t want to go through again.

 

"Me too," Naeun patted Seungjae’s shoulder gently. "Everything will be fine soon."

 

The bus drove along at a fast pace through the roads, which was filled with wrecked cars and some infected. "We’re blocked off!" Jae announced when the incoming road appeared to be completely inaccessible due to cars piling up. Hayoung frowned. "Let’s take a different route."

 

"Eunji unnie, look!" Kyla pointed out of the window. Some infected were coming towards the bus, attracted by the noise the squealing tires made. 

 

"Get away from the windows Kyla." Eunji picked up her gun and started shooting at the monsters clawing at the windows. Naeun motioned at Kyla to stay in the aisle, and reloaded her own gun hastily.

 

Jae reversed the bus and made a u-turn in an attempt to throw the infected off. "Hold on tight!" 

 

The sharp turn threw Naeun off her seat and she landed on the ground. "Ugh!"

A sharp pain spread through her hip-bone. A moan came from Seungjae and he slumped in his seat, holding his bat weakly in his hand.

 

Jae threw his foot down on the accelerator, and the bus sped off down another route. "Okay turn left now!" Hayoung shouted while shooting at a stage 2 infected. The shot did nothing to throw the creature off, and it was now starting to climb into the bus. Kyla screamed and crouched behind her seat.

 

"!" Hayoung cursed, and kicked the creature square in the head, making it lose its grip. Eunji took the opportunity to shoot it again and this time it finally fell off. It must have rolled under the wheels of the bus because a sickening crunch was heard.

 

Meanwhile, Seungjae coughed violently, his whole body shaking. Hayoung continued directing Jae, giving directions rapidly. Eunji went to comfort Kyla, hushing her and rubbing her back. Naeun finally got up, wincing at the pain her fall caused. "Are you alright?" She went over to Seungjae and touched his forehead, checking for signs of a fever. He continued coughing, and when he lifted his hand from his mouth, there was blood. 

 

"I…I don’t know what…" Seungjae trembled uncontrollably. Naeun bit her lip. Was it possible that he was infected? He was looking a little too pale and fidgety. She leaned in to check his eyes, and saw that they were becoming rather bloodshot. But when was he bit?

 

"Seungjae…were you bitten earlier?" Naeun said slowly, placing her finger on the trigger of her gun.

 

He breathed heavily and smiled in response. Then, he reached down to his right leg, and Naeun’s breath hitched when she saw that he had a bloody cut just above his heel. They were all too caught up just now to notice it. "Shh. It’s okay, I’m not turning yet." Seungjae reached for Naeun, but she stepped back and aimed her gun at him. 

 

"Stay back," She turned the laser on and pointed it at his chest. At this point he was terribly pale, so much that he was turning grey, and his veins were scarily prominent. "We don’t have the Cure with us right now."

 

"What’s going on?" Eunji asked, having noticed the commotion. 

 

"I think he’s infected." Naeun replied, keeping her eyes trained on Seungjae. She backed away to the opposite seat, both hands on her gun, ready to shoot the moment he changed into a monster. 

 

"We don’t have the cure," Eunji said, her brows furrowed. "Shoot him if he turns."

 

At that moment, Seungjae’s whole body convulsed and then he let out a wail that sounded painful and threatening at the same time. His eyes were closed in agony as he thrashed in his seat. Naeun winced and adjusted her grip on her weapon. then, Seungjae’s eyes opened and Naeun knew that he had turned. What she didn’t knew was that he would lash out at her suddenly, causing her gun to fly out of her hands and slide across the floor to the end of the bus. 

 

After that he, no, it  lunged for her, and she ducked to the aisle of the bus, hoping to run to the back to retrieve her gun. The monster that was once a boy snarled and attacked her once again, and Naeun had to use her hands to hold its wild arms from her. Seungjae's teeth snapped, hungry for flesh and blood. He looked violent and ready to kill, much unlike the him previously. "Help!" Naeun screamed, feeling her arms go weaker by the second.

 

"I don’t have a clear aim!" Eunji shouted back in response. The moving bus and the struggle between Naeun and Seungjae made it difficult for Eunji to shoot, even if she had a good aim normally. 

 

"Hang in there Naeun!" Hayoung whipped out her knife, ready to over to take Seungjae out by hand. 

 

Naeun gathered all the strength she had and kicked Seungjae hard in one knee, which made him sink down to the floor momentarily. Eunji took the chance to shoot him. It must have hit his back, because then he bent over in pain. Naeun got out of his grip and ran to grab her gun that had slid all the way to the end of the bus.  

 

"I’m gonna stop the bus soon so that we can take care of him!" This came from Jae. "Good idea, I don’t see any infected here." Hayoung put in. 

 

"No, keep going!" Naeun shouted. She had an idea, as crazy as it was. Naeun held her gun out resolutely at Seungjae, who was beginning to go towards her again. There were protests from the rest, but Naeun couldn’t hear them exactly. It was as if the world had suddenly been submerged underwater.

 

"Can’t get enough, can you?" Naeun whispered to herself. With a growl, Seungjae charged at her once again, but this time she was prepared. With her right hand, she unlocked the back door of the bus and leapt to the left at the last minute, letting the infected Seungjae fall out onto the road with a final yelp. Without hesitation, Naeun slammed the door shut again. No way I’m letting you in again. 

 

She slumped to the ground, exhausted from the fight. A few seconds later, she realised that her heart was still pounding fast. She turned around to see Hayoung at her side. "Are you alright?" Hayoung grinned. "That was sick!"

 

Eunji rushed over too, and the two helped Naeun up to her feet. "Great job, Naeun! " 

 

"I’m just glad no one else got infected too," Naeun replied. "Now let’s find the others."

 

Note: Apink comeback soon!! I am so excited.