Chapter 3

Project Alice

 

---
3.15 pm              Hanhwa Shopping Mall


At first,silence prevailed.It was an awkward kind of silence, for no one knew what to do or say.Chorong, being frustrated, broke the silence.

"Are you all calm now?"There were some nods.Chorong knew that she had to take control of the situation."Let's have an introduction.My name is Park Chorong, and I am 23 years old.College student.Psychology major."

Knife-girl spoke."Oh Hayoung,19.Currently a college student too."There were gasps and Chorong asked:"Really?"

"I skipped some grades.No big deal."Hayoung said,hand combing her short hair.

The pretty girl in the white introduced herself as Naeun,21,in a small voice, and revealed that she was training to be a doctor.

"Kim Namjoo,currently 20 years of age.Please take care of me!"The fashionable girl wearing a denim dress said.

"I'm 22 years old,Jung Eunji.I aspire to be a singer."

Finally it was the girl who got agitated earlier on."Yoon Bomi.22.Sorry for my outburst earlier,it's just that some things happened."She then explained about what happened earlier at home.There were sympathetic looks and nods and Namjoo spoke."We understand,it's okay.",

"Well,it looks like I'm the oldest,"Chorong said awkwardly."Where's the radio?Let's try listening for any news."Hayoung handed her the old but still usable radio.At first,there was static.They tried different stations,until they finally got something.

"There has been an outbreak of a disease in different parts of the world.Right now please stay indoors and make sure that you have plenty of food until we find a cure.The reasons that caused this virus is still unknown but these are the following symptoms.The infected will have red or severely bloodshot eyes and also  abnormally sharp teeth.They will also attack any human.If you are bitten by the infected the virus will invade your body.It takes from minutes to hours depending on one's immune system.It has also been reported that the infected can heal.This is all we have for you now,please stay indoors and remain healthy."

"Wow,"Namjoo commented."This is like a zombie apocalypse or something.Except like ten times more scary.

"They can heal?"Chorong asked,horrified.

"I saw a man being bitten.As hard as it is to believe,his wound healed almost immediately.They are like mutants.I believe that they are more dangerous than your so called 'zombies'."Hayoung replied,looking very worried.

Bomi expressed her relief."That means my father isn't dead after all."

"What should we do?"Naeun spoke for the first time since entering the room.

No one seemed to know what to do.

"Well,we have to fight,of course.And find a way to be safe."Eunji said, full of conviction."And I wonder if my family is safe.I should give them a call."

"You guys forgot one thing,"Bomi spoke,and everyone turned to look at her."We don't even have food in here.How are we supposed to survive?"

"We have to get loads of food from a nearby supermarket or something.But it's too dangerous to go outside right now."Chorong said,considering their options.

"I think holing up in here isn't an option,"Hayoung said,and Chorong knew that she was right.Those things would find them,sooner or later.

"Why not?"Namjoo argued."We could get food and board the whole place up.The electricity is still working anyway."

"I agree!I mean,it's crazy out there."This came from Naeun.

Chorong could not blame them,part of her wanted to just stay in this place,but she felt like a mouse in a trap,waiting for the cat to get her.There was no doubt,constantly moving would increase their chances of survival.She had seen enough zombie movies to know that.

Furthermore,they didn't even have enough weapons.The number of those things must be increasing,there was no way they could avoid coming into contact with the infected.They'd have to fight them at some point.

She spoke:"Everyone,listen.We are a team now,and we need to trust each other and work together.Let's just evaluate our own strengths and weaknesses so that everyone has a role to fulfil,okay?But before that you guys can call your family."

Everyone agreed with the plan,and took out their phones to call their families.

---

3.47pm  Hanhwa Shopping Mall

Son Naeun put down her phone in despair.She had tried calling her parents and her sister for the past 15 minutes,but it was to no avail.No one picked up.It didn't help that Eunji was enthusiastically speaking with her mother.I hope they are safe and sound.She tried her best to be optimistic,but her mind would not let her.What if her family was infected?

Beside her,Bomi was no better.No one had picked up on her end too."My father must have attacked them,"she muttered."And all I did was run away.Great." Naeun could see that Bomi was blaming herself for that,so she tried to assure her that it's not her fault by putting her arm around Bomi.

"Besides,there has to be a cure.I'm sure our families will be fine in the end."Hayoung,whom Naeun could sense was realistic and intelligent,added.

"Yes,I think we need to focus on our own survival first,"Chorong,the petite and pretty girl declared.

Everyone nodded their agreement.Then,they got down to write their strengths and weaknesses in Chorong's pink notebook.Chorong even wrote down a list of all the weapons they had,which was not many.An axe,metal baseball bat,knife.

"Excellent.I know hapkido and Bomi has a black belt in taekwondo."Chorong said.

"And I'm really strong,"Eunji added."Not boasting or anything,just being honest."She gave a hearty laugh,then demonstrated her strength by flexing her arm.

"Hayoung here is really smart,so she can come up with strategies to help us,"Chorong,the unofficial leader suggested.

"Yes,and we have Naeun who is practically a doctor,which is really useful,"Hayoung,the youngest among them remarked.

Naeun blushed."I'm still only a trainee,"she said modestly.The truth was that she was one of the best,if not the best trainee in Mirae Hospital,although her original dream was to be a painter.

"No need to be self-deprecating,"Chorong smiled warmly at Naeun."And Namjoo has great stamina and is rather athletic too."

"Its because I dance," Namjoo explained while smoothing her long hair.

"We make a pretty great team,"the outspoken Eunji said.Although they have only known each other for awhile,Naeun felt an inexplicable bond among them.

"And every team needs to have a leader,"Bomi said,and then looked at Chorong.Chorong looked rather taken aback.

"Is it because I'm the oldest?Well I think Eunji would be a great leader-"

"Its not because you are the oldest,"Hayoung interrupted her,"It's because you took control of the situation and prompted us to calm down and introduce ourselves."

"Well..."

"Yes,you are a great leader!"Namjoo exclaimed.

"All votes in favour of Chorong as the leader,raise your hands"Eunji said.

Everyone raised their hands.Although it was a big responsibility,Chorong was glad that they trusted her so much.

"Thank you guys,I guess it's official then."she beamed at them."Okay,let's search this place for weapons.We don't have enough,and I think all of us have to be armed."

They searched through the abandoned convenience store,opening drawers near the cash counter.

"You guys think there's any money in here?" Namjoo asked,referring to the cashier, but it was locked.

"Ah.Penknife." Eunji waved the useless thing in the air.Laughter came from Bomi and Chorong.

Naeun smiled.She was actually glad she met these girls.She felt that she could trust them,and she certainly couldn't go through this alone.

"Look,a whiteboard,"said Hayoung. The board showed yellowed pictures of past employees and their names written below.

"Ha,Sehee looks super grumpy."Sehee was a female in her twenties with a ponytail and sour expression.

"Well I wouldn't blame her,"Namjoo commented,and then gestured around the whole shop,as if to say Look at this ty place. The girls all laughed,and spent their time exploring the rest of the mall.It was decided that they would spend the night in the mall since it was getting dark already,then set off early in the morning to find food,weapons and refuge.

----
7.30pm  ELITE headquarters,hangar

The hangar where the emergency military airplanes and helicopters were stored was silent.Only the two of them were in there,and it was only because Yuto managed to override the system to guarantee them access.

"I could get in a lot of trouble for this, you know,"Yuto said,half seriously and half jokingly.

"I know.Which is why you should hurry up and go."Yookyung replied while making sure that the weapons that Yuto helped her steal were neatly in their case,and that the crates containing The Cure were shut tightly.

"Really?But I'm scared for you,Doing this alone."

"Really?I have a gps,weapons,food and water.And I have trained to be a pilot for two years already."

"And you,"Yookyung placed a hand on Yuto's shoulder."should hurry up and go back before they realize anything.I don't want to implicate you into this any further.If anything, I stole the weapons and escaped,okay?"

"Yes ma'am,"Yuto said in teasingly,but Yookyung could see that his eyes were full of worry.

"Don't let down your guard,okay?There's no guarantee that they won't harm you even though you are immune."Yuto said, concern clouding over his handsome face.

"Yes sir,"Yookyung copied him playfully.Then, he laid a kiss on her forehead and squeezed her arm."Stay safe."

What was that for?Yookyung was speechless as she stepped onto the small airplane and waved goodbye,watching his silhouette get smaller and smaller.She shook her head and focused on the mission ahead.Romance was for later.

 

--------

Sorry for the late update,been busy with work! (edited)