Chapter 6

Project Alice


11.19pm Hanhwa Shopping Mall
 
Chorong was awake.More than that,every part of her felt alive. She was keeping guard,in case any of the infected managed to get inside the mall.A vibration sound came from the direction of their bags,her bag.It can't be,I've switched it off to conserve energy.Although Namjoo had a charger,it was still important to conserve the battery.Who knows whether electricity would be cut off?She climbed towards her bag,only to find out that the vibration came from the girl's bag,which was beside hers.
 
"Whoever it is,must be worried about you."Chorong thought out loud.She decided to just tell the person that was texting that the girl was safe and alive.She reached for the phone,then marvelled at how light it was.Chorong couldn't find a button anywhere,so she just tapped the screen.It came alive,the colors bright.A flick upwards projected the home page onto the wall."Woah,"Chorong was undoubtly amazed now.Had such technology existed all along?And why was she unaware of it? 12 missed calls from about the time she crashed and three messages,some from 'mom' and the rest from 'him'. A boyfriend? Chorong was about to call back her mother to tell her that her daughter was fine and a someone said:"What are you doing?"It was the girl.She was awake.
 
"Oh,I was just about to call your mother and tell her that-" “No! Don’t!" She got up and snatched the phone away from Chorong.
 
"But,she might be worried-"
 
"I said,no.They might know my location if I call them."
 
Chorong was confused.Did this girl run away from home?
 
"Look,I'll explain it all to you.Can you wake up the others first?” The girl checked her messages anxiously.
 
"Oookay."Chorong said,then quickly woke the other girls up.
 
Five minutes later,they gathered in a circle,staring at the girl with the long brown hair in a strange white frock.She was still using her high tech smart phone.
 
"Well...?"Eunji trailed off,raising her eyebrows at the girl,prompting her to speak.The girl remained silent and seemed to be contemplating something.
---
 
11.30 Hanhwa Shopping Mall
 
 
Yookyung was in shock.She had woken up in a room full of girls and several missed calls and messages.Yuto had informed her that her mum had a breakdown earlier that night,and that it was Doctor Abrams that wanted her dead.She wasn't surprised about that,but everyone probably thought she was dead since her plane crashed.And she couldn't call her mother back as it would allow them to track her location.No doubt her father would eliminate anything that was standing in the way of Project Alice.Yuto also provided her with extra info,which was useful,but made her lose even more confidence in her mission.She quickly texted him back to say that she's safe and still alive.After some hesitation,Yookyung asked him to not text her back and lay low for awhile,lest they suspect him of being her accomplice or something.Even though she wanted to hear his voice,she told herself to concentrate on her goals.
 
Yookyung looked up to see those girls looking at her,as if waiting for her to talk."Okay,um,firstly,thank you for saving me.I think I fainted back there."They nodded and one of them added that Yookyung had a small gash on her forehead as well.
 
"Yeah,thanks for the bandage too.I know this might sound ridiculous,but I'm from an evil organisation called ELITE."At this,one of the girls opened her jaw in disbelief.
 
"What, is this resident evil or something?"another one wearing jeans and a tank top commented.
 
"Let her speak first,"the one who touched her phone,whom Yookyung guessed was the leader, urged softly.
 
"You might not believe it,but its true.My name is Hong Yookyung,and my dad is a politician in ELITE.They were the ones behind all this madness.It's called Project Alice,and their aim is to infect at least 2/3 of the whole world,and have the rest under their rule."Yookyung went on to explain all about Project Alice and why she was so against it-and how she got here.
 
"Wow.You think your plan is really going to work?"a girl with light brown hair asked incredulously.
 
"No,"Yookyung replied honestly."But it's all I have.And I want you guys to help me."
 
They exchanged looks.
 
"It's okay if you don't want to.I know it all sounds super crazy."
 
"But you mentioned having a cure,right?"the one with long black hair asked.
 
"Yep."
 
"If we really do help you and succeed taking down ELITE,the cure will be released to everyone,right?"
 
"Yes,eventually."
 
They gathered into a little circle in the corner of the store,discussing.Yookyung panicked mildly as the possibility of them killing her and taking the cure popped into her mind.
 
No way,stop overthinking,Yookyung.They seem like nice people.
 
You can't always judge a book by its cover,you know.People can become very selfish in these kinds of situations.
 
They had finished discussing, and returned to their positions on the floor."We agree,"the leader of the group said."On one condition.You provide us with some weapons,and disguise yourself.From what you've said,those ELITE people think that you have betrayed them greatly,so if they know that you are alive,they won't hesitate to track you down and kill you,right?And we will be in danger too."
 
"Of course you can have some weapons!And yes,I'm too obvious right now."Yookyung said,relieved and excited that people were willing to help her fight against ELITE.Excited that she was going to start her mission.
 
She held out her hand,palm facing downwards."What?" "She wants to do a cheer,dumbo." "Hey,it's midnight already!"
 
On that very day,April 19th,seven hands joined together.Seven hearts with the single goal of saving humanity. Seven girls with utmost faith. Seven destinies entwined together.