Chapter 1

Project Alice

   

9.05am ELITE HEADQUARTERS

The lush and spacious meeting room was filled with only the most important people and had the most advanced technology found in the world.Today was a momentary day, for it will be the day Project Alice was launched.

Dawn, a brunette with high cheekbones and an air of elegance around her was the head secretary and was leading the meeting by explaining how, at the same time, in all the countries in the world, the deadly virus Alice would be released.

The virus was made by their team of highly skilled scientists,and once it gets into the bloodstream of an individual,will take control of its host and cause some undesirable effects.But it was part of their plan, after all.To take out 3/4 of the world's population and force the rest into submission.It would be a world where the ELITES ruled, only the richest and most powerful people in the world.And at the top of it, a man called Doctor Abrams, the man who conceived ELITE.

Hong Yookyung watched the meeting through the glass doors for awhile, then walked away.Outside, ELITE workers were milling around, smiling and chatting in their pristine white uniforms.Yookyung frowned and returned to her room to rest.

It was hard to believe how brainwashed these people were.Did they really think that ELITE was good?That Project Alice is 'the thing the world needs' ?

But she knew that she wasn't the only one who felt the way she did.Her only true friend (and secret one) was the only one she could talk freely to.Yuto Tazaki was a computer whiz and secretly a great hacker.A young,handsome Japanese man who loved to converse with others, he was well liked.One could say that he was employed for his skills, but his uncle, Toshio Tazaki was one of the main leaders of ELITE.

They met by accident one day during lunch time due to the lack of seats, and decided to share a table.To Yookyung, Yuto was the only genuine person in the whole place.Even her own father was more distant and unfamiliar,always trying to up to the higher ups, although he was no lowly worker himself, and belonged to the higher tier.

Yookyung checked her smartwatch.The time was 9.15am.Soon, Project Alice will be launched and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

--

2.50 pm Starbucks Cafe

Park Chorong plucked out her earphones in frustration and looked up from her textbook for the first time in 30 minutes.Just what is making that noise!She saw people running past the cafe she was in, heard screams and shouts.It was pure chaos, and was interrupting her from her revision.

Just then, a man dressed in a suit burst into the fairly quiet Starbucks, empty except for two ladies and a few students like herself.He had bloodshot eyes, messed up hair and his clothes were torn.The man with the crazed appearance then started looking around wildly, as if searching for something.

What the hell?Alarm bells rang in Chorong's head.Something was definitely off,she had to get away from that loony.Some people had noticed the man too, and frightened faces appeared.Chorong managed to quickly pack her stuff into her backpack.Outside, the sound of glass breaking could be heard.It seemed to ignite a reaction in the man, and suddenly he lunged towards the girl closest to him, and attacked her.

All hell broke loose.

Everyone scrambled to get away from the man, and made for the door.Somehow,Chorong could not move.She watched the man bite into the girl's shoulder,his teeth somewhat...sharper and canine like.Her skin was ripped, and fresh blood spurted out.The sight made Chorong flinch even though usually she could stomach gory movies.

"Hello?Are you okay?We have to get out of here,now!"A girl with shoulder length light brown hair shook her urgently.It occurred to Chorong that she was a barista.

"I'm fine,"Chorong said,surprised at how shaky her voice was.

"Great,now let's go!"The girl said, and began to make her way to the backdoor.Chorong finally got her senses back and followed her.She noticed that the girl was holding an axe.Before exiting, she couldn't help but look at the man once more.He was done with his meal, and was getting up...Bam!

The door had shut.Chorong tightened her fists and begged her legs to run.

--

1.30 pm Kinokuniya

Racks full of fashion magazines featuring hot models and the latest trends stared at the petite girl with long brown hair.Kim Namjoo longed to be a model, and her house was stacked with fashion magazines so that she could keep up with the latest trends and learn how to do her makeup.She did not think that she was vain—she just particularly enjoyed looking pretty and feeling pretty.

Soon enough,when I turn 20,I will surely become a model!

Speaking of models, Namjoo noticed a very beautiful girl standing just a few meters away,reading a novel or something.She had long,silky black hair and wide eyes and a sort of gentle look.However,Namjoo frowned at her outfit-a simple black shirt and black shorts, plus white sneakers.What a waste of a pretty face and figure.

Namjoo turned her attention back to the magazines.She had arranged to meet her best friend Minkyung in about five minutes and then they would go window shopping together.It was pretty much a weekly thing for them now.

Suddenly, an alarm sounded throughout the whole bookstore.A robotic female voice came over the intercom."Attention, all customers please leave the mall now.This in an emergency.I repeat,please leave the mall now."

What?What sort of emergency is it that we have to leave? Namjoo raised her eyebrows at no one on particular. Well I should call Minkyung.She walked out of the store, which was emptying out, when a tall guy ran past and knocked into her.

"Excuse me?"Namjoo scoffed.What was the rush with this guy?

"You have to run!There are a lot of dangerous things in here!"The guy hastily shouted and continued sprinting away.Screams were heard in the distance.Someone tapped her on the shoulder.

"Do you have any idea what's happening?"It was the pretty girl,and up close she looked even more perfect.

"No,but all I know is that it's not safe here,"Namjoo hesitated for a second."Let's leave together,maybe there's some crazy lunatic out there,"The girl nodded and they made their way towards the entrance of the mall,people rushing past them.

Outside, was pandemonium.An old man was standing in the middle of the road,where cars were abnormally very little.The man was screaming."THIS IS THE END OF THE WORLD.THEY DID THIS.DO NOT TRUST THEM.THIS IS THE END OF THE WOR-" a running woman launched herself on top of the man, and the two fell into the ground.The woman had red eyes,pale lips.There was a struggle at first, but eventually the woman gained dominance and started to claw at the man's face with her sharp nails,as if going to gouge his eyes out.

Namjoo screamed.

"Watch out!"A voice cried out.Namjoo turned around to see a tall girl with dark short hair plunge a knife into a man's chest.Then again.Then again.She turned to look at them and shook her head."He was going to attack you guys.He is clearly infected."

"Infected?"Pretty girl said, her face full of confusion and fear.

"I'll explain later,for now let's just go somewhere safe."

"Wait,why should we trust you?"Namjoo asked.That girl had technically saved their lives,but she had a knife.She could be dangerous.

"Would you rather stay here then?I know a place where we can go.And,to be honest I need people with me to get through this." With that, the dark haired girl started sprinting away.Namjoo looked at the pretty girl and without a word, they followed.