~ 03 ~

What They Don't See
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
~ Chapter 03 ~

“Mom, get up or Minhyuk will be late for school.” Shaking the sleeping body back and forth, I waited for my mother to wake up. This was nothing unusual. It was often I found her in her bed with clothes on in the mornings. The lack of responsibility my parents possessed didn’t surprise me at all. Just like many other things and happenings, I was used to it.

 

I realized the mission was a failed one and sighed, looking down at the wretched creature in front of me. Her lips were parted slightly, causing spit and drool to flow out of her dry mouth. Well, I could wake up my father but he would slap me as soon as he saw me so that option was excluded.

 

Giving up, I walked out of her room, closing the door behind me before I went into my brother’s room in order to wake him up, putting the responsibility on my shoulders. A little sad smile crept onto my lips. He looked so peaceful yet so disturbed. He didn’t deserve this faith. 7 billion people on earth and he had to live like this.

 

I brushed his bangs away from his forehead with my fingers. He was my everything. I wouldn’t let him get hurt.

 

“Minhyuk.” I bent down my knees, cooing his name carefully. My smile grew bigger as I kept grazing his forehead with my fingertips. Roaming around in his bed he grunted, trying to open the eyelids which seemed almost glued to his eyes. I couldn’t help but grin. He reminded me of myself too much, it was incredible. My love for him was unconditionally and that would never change.

 

“Noona?” His whispering voice was groggy as he rubbed his eyes with his hands, staring at me with a narrowed swollen view.


“Get up mister. I’m taking you to school today.” Without further ado, I helped him get ready. Everything from his clothes, his backpack with the exception of his lunch. I didn’t bother looking in the fridge since I already knew the little selection my parents were the ones to blame for. Luckily, my brother’s school knew about our situation, hence they provided him fully.

 

While my brother was tying his shoes I glimpsed at the watch around my wrist. Guess, I would be late for school now. I shrug my shoulders and ignored my need. My brother was more important than anything. School included.

 

“What are you writing?” Tugging my sleeve gently, Minhyuk removed my attention from the little white paper to his smiling figure.

 

“I’m just letting mommy and daddy know we’re off to school.” I tugged his bangs in place with a finger, smiling sincerely, hoping that he didn’t have any worries. He seemed rather confused by my answer and his eyes flinched. His fingers tightened around my sleeve.


“But noona they don’t care, they are sleeping.” A sad smile formed my face when I kissed the top of his head. He was so perfectly innocent and I prayed to God it would stay that way. I just nodded, trying to suppress the small teardrops in the corner of my eyes. I would never ever cry in front of Minhyuk. It was enough he saw our mother’s miserable state whenever she broke down.

 

“Let’s go.” I placed the white note on a shelf in the hallway and grabbed Minhyuk’s petite hand as we together walked out of hell.

 

 

~~

 

 

It was with a gloomy face when I entered the school building, my head hanging low as well as my mood. Words from my little brother’s teacher were imprinted inside of my head, probably resembling me as dull-looking murderer, people would avoid at any costs.



 

“We can’t let this madness continue. The authorities have to know about your situation.”

 

“Are you even listening?”

 

“Minjae, it’s for Minhyuk’s own good.”




 

Once again, I was scolded for Minhyuk’s lack of presence in school. I did my best. I really did. Threats about police, authorities, court. They smashed it in my face every ing time and what did I do? Nada. I always gave them the widest smile, reassuring that everything would be OK and I was going to take care of things. Not once did they think through that I was just simple teenager who needed a life too. How was I able to save an entire family from falling apart? Impossible.


 

The surrounding students’ generous distances and arches around me spoke for itself.

 

I was too infiltrated with my own worries, a vague tap on my shoulder caused me to jump in panic as I accidently and per instinct waved my hand backwards, my hand getting in contact with a head behind me. The light touch reminded me of things I honestly didn’t want to be reminded about.

 

“Ouch!” What surprised me even more was the sight of a crouched Park Jimin rubbing the bruised area on his forehead with a frown. My eyes shut wide open as I acted instinctively, forgetting my shyness and reluctance.

 

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry! I thought you were someone else!” Not thinking twice, I immediately bent down, grabbing his arm and tried to help him up. Fortunately, he didn’t reject my effort.

 

“Someone else?!” The size of his eyes doubled and he looked shocked.

“If that’s how you were going to react, I honestly don’t want to know who you expected it to be in the first place.” A little smile crept onto his lips along with his eyes narrowing into an unforgettable eyesmile that hit all air out of my lungs. Swallowing the thick lump down my throat, I examined his forehead briefly ignoring his statement in order to avoid further questions.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter