Back Home

Give Me a Reason

Eventually, Bobby and Hanbin walked into their dorm with pizza and jjajangmyeon in hand. For a moment it was quiet and slightly peaceful in the dorm until Jinhwan came out announcing the return of their leader with his 'man' in tow. 

"Guys, B.I. and Bobby came back after .... they also brought pizza - eyyy" Jinhwan jeered mockingly.

"EeeEyy?! First of all, NO! Secondly, if any of you or any of the boys truly want pizza or Jjajangmyeon, you will quit this nonsense." Hanbin cautioned.

"Oh- Bobby I think your boyfriend is trying to be scary. He really is no good at being the bossy type, I guess you're the man in the relationship huh Bobby," Junhoe retorted, walking out from the kitchen with a glass of water in hand drinking it from time to time.

Hanbin was trying to hold back every ounce of his unnerving anger, trying to respond with a witty remark but Bobby beat him to it, "You're one to talk when you're on the bottom end of the relationship with Jinhwan."

Junhoe coughed up some of the water practically covering Jinhwan in water and saliva. "E-Excuse me! Hold on up there, what would make you thi-" He barked.

"Junhoe, you have got to be kidding me. Don't try to make fun of someone when you are in no position to." Hanbin scoffed.

Bobby and Hanbin burst into a fit of giggles for a good few minutes, Jinhwan's "shut up already" barely audible. "Just call out anyone else who wants pizza, we got three medium sized pizzas for some hungry people," Hanbin ordered.

Soon enough the group was eating their share of pizza and jjajangmyeon. Hardly anything left after the 'eating fest' which seemed to never end. After a good meal everyone headed to bed ever so slowly but surely. Hanbin followed Bobby into their room, he had a few questions that Bobby would hopefully have a few answers.

"Hngg... Bobby?" Hanbin croaked shifting his weight from side to side in nervousness. 

"What is it Hanbin," Bobby sighed turning around to face Hanbin. Hanbin took a deep breath in and out trying to calm himself.

"I- there was a thing I was working on, it's not much... Ma- Could you listen to it?" Hanbin stuttered pulling his sleeves over his hands, twisting and picking at the fabric that sat in his hand.

"Come again?" Bobby directed.

"I wrote a song, nothing too big or important, but I wanted you to take a listen and guide me through some phrasing and oh well listen to it," Hanbin confessed. 

"When would you have had time to record it? I am practically anywhere you are 24/8, five weeks a month, 13 months a year. There is no possible free time you made a song without me knowing." Bobby declared.

"Right," Hanbin commented rolling his eyes, "Unless it was something I wanted to write for you..." he hinted.

Curious Bobby went to sit next to Hanbin. "So how am I supposed to listen to it, are you going to send it to me by email, or maybe burn me a disc?" Bobby replied, his expressionless face faltering from stone cold to a slightly warmer smile.

"Well, I would burn it on a disc, but I figure listening to it from my playlist on MY phone would be so much easier," Hanbin teased. He leaned over Bobby to grab his phone from his desk, ever so slightly brushing skin to skin with Bobby.

"Why... yes that would be easier." Bobby agreed. After a brief silence and some weird back and forth eye contact Hanbin started the song. "So, when did you write this?" Bobby quipped. Bobbing his head to the beat from time to time. 

"Oh, I think it has been almost half a year," Hanbin informed.

"If you say it like that it makes it seem like it was so long ago," Bobby grumbled.

"It was, for me at least. Time doesn't fly by for me nearly as fast as it does for you. I get stressed out with work and what not. So I can say it was long ago."  Hanbin responded.

Bobby glanced at Hanbin, "Did you have someone in mind when you wrote it?" 

"Actually," Hanbin started, "no..." He replied.

"Oh, but the lyrics are so, different from usual. I am sure you had someone in mind, there is no way you didn't." Bobby implied. "Was it me?"

"I- it really wasn't anyone. Even if it was I wouldn't tell you." Hanbin teased.

"Oh, now I am curious and jealous... but it is for somebody," Bobby said. Hanbin could tell he was agitated. 

For all it was worth Hanbin wanted to tell Bobby that it was a song he wrote for him... But every word that he said was denying the very truth. 

"Can you say the song is for me?" Bobby asked with the most sincerity he could muster.

"If I say it, would it truly make you happy? What if this song was for someone else." Hanbin deflected. What was he doing?! After everything that had happened today, why was he trying to push things so far?

Bobby chuckled, the lyrics were clearly rough drafted. For Hanbin the lyrics came out slowly so he always thought - one and done. No need to check or edit what was already 'perfect'. For their songs, YG always checked the lyrics and made him edit them or change the song altogether, so they would fit both company and their group image. 

"Ohkay, if you did not make it for me who gets this cute lovey dovey song full of endless confessions?" Bobby said smirking at the obviousness of his best friend.

Clearly, Hanbin had no intention of admitting or ever telling Bobby who the song was for until he felt absolutely ready. Bobby being the kind soul he is kept himself from prying any further. He could not afford to lose what he just managed to get back.

"Hmm, just tell me what you think about it. Good-bad, edit or trash it. You know the little things." Hanbin insisted.

Bobby pondered for a while, the song was more Hanbin then most of the songs that he made for Ikon.

"Honestly, if you had written this for me I would say keep everything as it is; I love it. However, it's not for me so what kind of song are you trying to make for this other person?" Bobby questioned.

"Well... he's-"

"He... oh, well. Honestly, the lyrics are your feelings and your thoughts. I would say stick with it, you know. It's good, really good. Why have me listen to it? I can't tell you how to edit your own feelings. I am going to go to bed." Bobby blurted, his body moving on its own. He practically threw himself on his bed, tossed the blanket over his head turning away from Hanbin.

"Well damn! I didn't even fi-" Hanbin complained only to be cut off by Bobby.

"You don't need to, though, whoever it is I am sure they would love anything they got from you, especially a song with lyrics personally made for them-"Bobby babbled only to be stopped by Hanbin yanking away his covers. Tears streaming down his face, he wanted to hide, to cover his face from the humiliation. Never in his life has he been such a soft hearted cry baby, let alone in front of Hanbin.

"I was trying to say, he's you, you big idiot." Hanbin explained, "you get to carried away sometimes. A-are you crying?" Hanbin added.

"I- no. I am not." Bobby bawled, his breath run ragged. Hanbin grabbed at Bobby's hands pulling them away from his face, "really, it's nothing."

"Nothing, Bobby- this is not, nothing.... I am sorry," Hanbin apologized, "I- I was just teasing you a bit."

Hanbin wiped away Bobby's tears that seemed to be never ending, "Look, there is no one else, and will never be anyone else. Trust me." Hanbin breathed. Slowly closing the distance between himself and Bobby, Bobby let out a few gasps and shuddering breaths. 

"Just promise me. Give me a reason to believe what you say is true." Bobby sniffled.