Chapter 3: Trying To Be Better

Time Is Gold

Jimin anxiouly tapped his right foot on the floor while waiting at the front of In Ha’s apartment. Since fate decided to give him a second chance, he decided to forget about Bomi and everything in the past to start all over again and spend more with In Ha. He fixed his hair as he checked his breath. When he checked everything, he glanced at the back and spotted In Ha coming out of the apartment. He smiled and swung his backpack over his left shoulder. In Ha looked up and her eyes widened in surprise to see her boyfriend.

 

“ Jimin, what are you doing here? “. She asked. Jimin smiled and kissed her check before taking her backpack away from her.

“ I’m here to walk with you “.

“ What? “.

“ Why? You don’t want me to? “.

“ No! It’s fine. It’s just… you normally don’t walk with me when we go to school. You would rather take the bus and go to class first and have a nap “.

 

 

Jimin looked confused at her, then he recalled it.

 

“ Well… from now on, I will walk with you, even I will walk you home after school “.

 

In Ha’s smile brightened.

 

“ Would you really do that? “. She beamed.

“ Of course! You are my girlfriend. Come on “. He said as he offered his arm so she could link on it.

 

In Ha stared at the arm and felt uneasy about linking her arms with his. Jimin stared at her and then he remembered that he used to dislike her to link arms with her because he found it a little bit childish and ridiculous for a relationship.

 

“ It’s okay, I allow you to do it “. He encouraged her.

 

In Ha bit her lower bit and slowly wrapped her arm around his. Jimin smiled and looked forward.

 

 

“ Shall we go now? “. He asked. In Ha shyly smiled and nodded in response.

 

 

 

 

They arrived at their school and they headed to In Ha’s locker first. She opened it and Jimin gave her backpack back and leaned his shoulder against the locker next to hers. In Ha kept glancing at him while shoving the books inside of the locker.

 

“ Why do you keep glancing at me? “. Jimin asked with curiosity.

“ You are acting different today Jimin “.

“ Different? “.

“ You normally leave me here before go to your classroom “.

“ Really? “.

“ Yeah, you said that you hate waiting for “ too long “ and that you weren’t a patient person “.

“ Well… maybe because I want to spend every second with my girlfriend. Why? Is that crime? “.

 

In Ha giggled and shook her head.

 

“ No, not at all “. She confessed with a small smile.

 

Jimin smiled and grabbed her hand.

 

 

“ I just want to be the best boyfriend you ever had. Being able to be with you and make good memories. I just realized that I don’t spend too much time with you so I’m trying my best to be better “.

 

In Ha softened and warmly squeezed his hand.

 

“ You already are the best boyfriend I ever had “. She said before she pecked his cheek.

 

 

Jimin and In Ha walked together, hand in hand, toward their classroom. He placed her backpack on her desk and then placed his backpack on the desk next to hers.

 

“ Ah… Jimin? “.

“ Yeah? “.

“ Your desk is over there “. In Ha said as she pointed at the desk where her ex-best friend Bomi was sitting.

 

Jimin looked at where In Ha was pointing and then looked back at her with a smile.

 

“ I know “. And then he sat down like nothing happened.

 

 

“ He’s really acting weird today “. In Ha thought as she kept mumbling herself. Soon, her seatmate came and Jimin asked him if he could sit here for the rest of the year. He thought for a moment first before he headed to Jimin’s usual desk, sitting next to Bomi.

 

 

During the class, instead of paying attention to the class, Jimin was too focus in staring at In Ha, which made her a little bit awkward about this. He wasn’t normally like that during classes. He would sleep or play with his phone but today he was up, just to stare at In Ha and admire her features.

 

In Ha slowly turned her head around and cleared .

 

“ Do you need anything? “. She whispered.

 

Jimin shook his head as he rested his head on the palm of his hand, not taking his eyes away from her.

 

“ Don’t worry about me and focus on the class “.

“ How am I suppose to focus when you are staring at me like that? “.

“ Do I distract you? “. Jimin asked as he wiggled his eyebrows.

 

In Ha slightly scoffed and shook her head with a smile before looking back to the blackboard.

 

Jimin chuckled and then crossed his arms and rested them on the desk before leaning his head against them while staring at In Ha.

 

“ She looks so perfect. Why did I not notice it back then? “. He thought.

 

 

After a few more classes, they had break time. In Ha pulled out two blueberry muffins and then handed one to Jimin.

 

“ I baked it last night. I know that you are on a diet but since it’s your favorite… “. She mumbled with a shy smile.

 

Jimin glanced at the muffin he had in his hand.

 

“ Was I on a diet? So that´s why I looked so skinny in the morning. And… she even remembered my favorite flavour “.

 

Jimin smiled and grabbed her hand before pecking the back of it.

 

 

“ Thank you. I will eat well “. He said as he took a bite of the muffin and his eyes widened. “ Wow! The best muffin I ever ate! “.

“ Really? “.

“ You should make me this everyday. It’s really good! “. He said and took another bite.

 

In Ha giggled and she also took a bite of her muffin. Then they heard someone clearing its throat, making the both of them to look up.

 

“ Hi Jimin, hi In Ha! “. Bomi beamed as she waved at them.

“ Hi… “. In Ha uneasyly greeted at her and Jimin could noticed that.

“ Ah Jimin… do you have a minute? “. Bomi asked

“ I’m in the middle of a break time, don’t you see? Besides, I’m trying to enjoy the muffin my girlfriend made for me “.

 

In Ha couldn’t help but to blush a little by his words.

 

“ It’s something important “. She said in a calm way but inside she was being impatient.

 

Jimin sighed and turned to In Ha.

 

“ I won’t take long “. He said and she nodded in understanding.

“ Don’t keep her waiting “.

 

Jimin smiled and pecked her cheek before he stood up and left the classroom with Bomi behind him.

 

 

In Ha sighed and started to grow worried and confused. She was too confused with Jimin’s sudden change of attitude that she thought that it was someone else, maybe his twin. But then, she tried to snap those thoughts away since she was happy that Jimin is trying open up toward her even more.

 

 

 

“ I hope everything is fine between him and Bomi “.

 

 

 

Jimin and Bomi walked until they stopped in an empty corridor.

 

 

“ Say it quickly. I don’t want to keep my girlfriend waiting for me “. Jimin coolly said as he shoved his hands in the pockets of his pants.

 

Bomi scoffed and crossed her arms.

 

“ Girlfriend? I thought you broke up with her “.

“ Did I say that? “.

“ You told me two days ago that you will break up with her. And look! You are still with her! “.

“ Bomi, there will be nothing between us “. Jimin finally said.

“ W-What?! “. She snapped in anger.

“ I just realized that what I was doing was wrong so let’s end this. I don’t want anything from you. You should deserve a better person than me “. He said and he was about to walk away when she grabbed his arm.

“ But… you said you loved me. That I was your everything! “. She said as tears started to form in the corner of her eyes.

“ I was out of my mind back then. Sorry Bomi. But my heart belongs to In Ha and no one else “. Jimin said as he gently pulled her hands away from his arm and walked away.

 

Bomi glared at him with tears rolling down her cheeks as she clenched her fists.

 

 

“ I still won’t give up. I will make you mine Jimin, I swear “. She vowed as she wiped her tears away and walked away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“ Baby, ah~ “. Jimin sang as he held out a spoonful of strawberry ice cream in front of In Ha. In Ha shyly giggled and opened as Jimin shoved the spoon into .

“ It’s delicious “. She mumbled between chews with her hand cupping .

 

Jimin smiled and shoved himself a spoonful of ice cream in his mouth. They were at their favorite coffee shop, since Jimin invited her on a date. Jimin was determinate to spend every second with In Ha.

 

 

“ Jimin? “.

“ Hmm? “. He looked up and met eyes with In Ha.

“ Why did you ask me out? “. She asked.

 

Jimin was confused with her question, but then he understood what she was trying to say.

 

“ Back then… when we were in the library. You confessed to me saying that you liked me for a while “.

“ And that was the true “.

“ But… what made you like me that much? “.

 

Jimin placed his spoon on the table and then grabbed both her hands and gently squeezed them.

 

 

“ I liked you because… you were different from other girls I met. You had an innocent look that caught my attention the most, your bright smile…. that smile always made my day bright whenever I was down. And also, I love your personality, it can’t be compared with the other girls I met before “.

 

In Ha softened as she smiled at him.

 

 

“ I know that… I hadn’t been nice during our relationship and you must be surprised about my sudden change of attitude, but… I’m doing all of this because I don’t want to lose you “. Jimin confessed as he looked deeply at her with sincerely eyes.

“ I must say that I was really shock with your change of attitude “. She admitted with a nod and then looked back at him with tender eyes. “ But I’m glad you changed “.

“ You must have suffered because of me back there, right? “.

“ You know that I’m a patient person “.

“ I know, that’s why I love you for that “. He said and kissed both hands, making her smile like an angel.

 

 

 

After the ice cream, he walked her to her apartment, with their hands interwined.

 

 

“ Jimin “. Jina called.

“ Yeah? “. He said as he looked at her.

 

 

Jina bit her bottom lip as she tried to find the right words.

 

 

“ You can tell me. What’s up? “.

“ I was wondering… you know there’s a birthday party at Hyemi’s house, right? “.

 

 

Jimin thought for a moment and then he recalled that event. “ That was the party I refused to go with her back then. Instead, I went to a nightclub with Bomi “.

 

“ I would love to go “. Jimin smiled, which shocked In Ha a little.

“ R-Really? “.

“ Yeah, it’s been a while since I went to a party “.

 

In Ha smiled by the news.

 

 

“ It’s this Friday at 8 pm. Will you be free by that time? “.

“ Of course I will. I will do anything for my precious princess “. He said as he pecked her nose, which made her blush a little. “ I will pick you up at 7.30 pm “.

“ I will look forward it “.

 

 

They arrived at the front of her apartment. In Ha turned around to face Jimin and gave him a warm smile.

 

 

“ Thanks for walking me home “. She said.

“ No problem. I will come here tomorrow morning “.

“ You know, it’s not necessary for you to pick me up. So don’t need to feel forced to do it “.

“ I’m fine. I really want to do it “. He admitted with determination. She sighed and nodded in understanding.

“ Alright. Then walk home safely “.

“ Rest well “. He said as he pecked her lips.

 

She giggled and waved at him before she entered in the building. Jimin glanced at her until she wasn’t on the sight. A smile appeared on his face, feeling thankful that she was still alive and that he could have a chance to change the future. He turned around and he started to walk away when he heard someone saying something.

 

“ Are you happy? “.

 

Jimin titled his head to a side and turned around, seeing a little boy staring at him with a lollypop in his small hand. Jimin looked around, making sure if the boy was talking to someone else. But since nobody was around, he slowly approached to the boy.

 

“ Were you talking to me? “. Jimin asked as he pointed at himself. “ Wait…. “.

 

He glanced at the boy from head to toe as he felt like he met this boy before.

 

 

~ Flashback ~

 

 

On In Ha’s funeral, Jimin was attending along with her parents while friends and relatives from In Ha came to pay their respects toward her. Jimin couldn’t take any longer in hearing In Ha’s mother sobs, which made his heart to break into pieces like a glass vase. He excused himself and went to the nearest convenience store to get coffee, since he couldn’t sleep all night. He headed to the cashier to pay for the coffee when he saw a little boy at his left, staring with pity at some colorful lollypops. Jimin sighed and then took out a lollypop and handed it to the cashierman.

 

“ I’ll buy this too “. Jimin said and then turned to the boy, who looked at him with confusion. Jimin faintly smiled at him and ruffled his hair. He got his coffee and then headed outside as he sat on the table from the convenience store and sighed as he took a sip of his coffee. Many regrets and thoughts were running in his mind as he was about to become crazy. Little did he know that the boy from early was standing next to him.

“ Ahjussi “. He callled him, making him to turned his head around toward the boy.

“ What is it kiddo? “. He asked.

“ If you could go back in time. What is the one thing you would wish to do? “. The boy asked.

 

Jimin thought for a moment as he looked away.

 

“ Well…. “. He paused as a weak smile appeared on his face. “ To be honest….I would like to fix everything. I made some mistakes to someone I appreciate the most… and I sent her away. Also… I haven’t done anything good toward her so I regret that the most. There are also many things I didn’t do for her “.

 

The boy nodded in understanding. Jimin weakly scoffed.

 

“ Hey.. why do I even tell this to you- “. Jimin turned around and startled when he realized that the boy disappeared. He looked around, but there wasn’t any sign of the boy……

 

 

 

 

~ End of the Flashback ~

 

 

 

 

“ You are the boy from the convenience store! “. Jimin exclaimed with widen eyes as he pointed at the boy.

“ You remembered! “.

“ But how… “.

 

The boy glanced at the building where In Ha entered in.

 

“ It’s nice to see you happy. Your girlfriend looks happy too “. The boy said and then glanced back at him.

 

Jimin was speechless about the boy. “ How did he knew about my girlfriend? And he also knows about my situation? “.

 

 

“ Cherish the precious time that you’ve been given “. The boy said.

“ What do you mean with that? “. Jimin arched an eyebrow, feeling confused by the boy’s words.

“ Going back to past will not change the future “.

 

 

Jimin’s heart dropped when the boy said that.

 

 

“ W-What? “. He whispered as he looked away, trying to get all the information in his head.

“ So don’t forget, and use this precious time “. The boy said before he vanished away.

 

Jimin looked around and his eyes widened when he realized that the boy was gone.

 

 

“ Hey, wait! There’s still many things I want to ask you! “. He looked around and sighed in frustration. “ Does this mean that In Ha won’t live forever? I don’t have much time left! “. Jimin ruffled his hair in frustration and started to walk toward his apartment.