chapter 3

HOLD ME TIGHT

 

Days passed by like any other school day. Luckily today is Saturday which is mean the weekend and Chanhee didn’t have to sit in school being bored to death. However, even its weekend but with no activity, Chanhee still have going through the day being bored to death. The boy sighed as he slowly made his way downstairs. Brownish hair flopped across his forehead with each step. When he reached the bottom, he stretched, walking to the living room and turning on the TV. It was like any other day, boring…dull…boring….

“ah my Chanhee is here! What a good day” Chanhee turned to the owner of the annoying voice. It was Minsoo, grinning so wide toward him.

“what?” he response, turning back his eyes and focused on the TV.

“well u see, there’s nothing in the kitchen which is mean there’s nothing we can eat for lunch, dinner, supper, snack time, another breakfast and so on. So, I need u to do some shopping for me”

“why don’t u go by yourself?”

“my dear chanhee, u know since I became a well-known author and very very famous, I’ve been very very busy lately and since u don’t seem having things to do right now and for the rest of the day, i think it is sucha great time to work ur muscle out..don’t u think so?”

“busy your ! All I see, u just sleeping in your room for the whole day”

Minsoo chuckled as he rubbed the back of his head “u see me sleeping but actually it’s more like I’m trying to get a good inspiration from my quick nap”

Chanhee snapped, aiming death rays at the older.

And at last, he is now walking together with Byunghun, in their way to the mart for some items that Minsoo needed for their surviving meals of the whole week.

“I don’t see why I have to go!” Chanhee complained, following Byunghun down the path of the road.

“the one who should complaining is me. I don't get it why I’ve been dragged together into your stupid rant” came Byunghun cold reply. “so shut up”

“It’s not me who gave the idea of having Changhyun ridiculous cook in the first place”

“but it was u who started the stupid argument with Minsoo hyung”

“it was your own fault since u appear in wrong timing” Chanhee yelled “and it’s fair enough, if I have to go, so do u since u keep using stupid excuses for being injured on your ankle and lay your stupid on your stupid bed for all the time”

“it is none of your problem” Byunghun glared “so mind your own stupid ”

“I do mind my own business and I am not like certain people who have done nothing but only a burden to others!” Chanhee glared back which his words silenced Byunghun for the moment. The boy walked to the front without bothered leaving Chanhee behind.

The rest of the walk covered with only silence between those two and that’s annoyed Chanhee enough.

Chanhee looked up to the sky, the clouds seems dark. “I think it’s going to rain” he said more to himself only then he cast a sight on Byunghun who let a small cough escaped from his mouth. He knew it was his fault for dragging Byunghun along with him. It was him who started the argument with Minsoo which making the older pissed off and make Byunghun otherwise complied with his request for doing the shopping thingy. Byunghun silently obeyed his demand without protest although he knew Chanhee was the one who supposed to do the shopping. Realizing the boy didn’t seem to be feeling well while his ankle doesn’t fully recover, so Chanhee insist to come along, to keep an eye on him.

“hey we should hurry up, it’s going to rain soon”  Chanhee said, breaking the awkward silence. Ignoring the latter, Byunghun keep his distance and walk in the front. Byunghun let out a cough again. He tried concealing it but Chanhee eyes catch everything.

As soon as they entered the mart, Chanhee grab a hold on Byunghun wrist. “Let’s get everything needed as quick as possible. We don’t have umbrella so we need to hurry up before it’s raining”

With no reply, Byunghun pulled out his hand from the latter grasp and held a basket from the stack by the front door while began looking over the list. “I’ll take that” Chanhee slid the basket from Byunghun’s arm, receiving a daring look in return.

“what’s first?” he asked, trying desperately to get Byunghun’s feedback.

Once again he being ignored as Byunghun keeps the distance miles away from him. 

Half way through the list, Byunghun started to lean up against things by any chances he got. Chanhee worriedly watched, the boy started limping on his way and Chanhee will casually catching him by the arm once or twice to steady him.

“u ok?” Chanhee asked in concerned. His eyes didn’t off the boy but Byunghun just shrugged it off without bothering on giving any replies.

By the time they checked out, the sky had darkened and heavy drops of rain splattered against the streets. Byunghun looked worsen and Chanhee will not allow the boy going out into the rain in this state. 

“it seems like we need to wait until the rain stop” Chanhee suggest, sticking a hand out in the rain as them both stood under the canopy. Stealing a glance on the boy beside him, Chanhee noticed Byunghun was shivering and he cough a lot more. He sighed in frustration. If they waited in this kind of weather, who knows what could happen to Byunghun. Without any further word, he shrugged out of his jacket then wrapped it around Byunghun as the boy don’t have any jacket on.

Byunghun was about to complain but he was cut off by a quick growl from Chanhee. “look! I see you’re shivering and I am not willing myself carrying u home if u passed out here so don’t complain and stop being a burdensome” he said with anger. Obviously not in the mood to argue, Byunghun ignored the latter words. "thanks" he said “and sorry” he nearly whispered the last word.

Hearing those words came out from Byunghun lips, Chanhee smirk in satisfaction.

“u don’t look so good today. How’s your ankle?”

“it’s fine”

“don’t lie!” Chanhee burst “I see u walk, limping”

Byunghun take the jacket off him and held it over his and Chanhee head so that they an use it as an umbrella. “we should get going. My head’s spinning and I don’t think I can stand too long in this weather”

“will u be ok?” Chanhee asked in concerned but getting a smirk in reply. “believe me u won’t care” came Byunghun half-heartedly feedback.

Who said I won’t care!! Chanhee argued within himself.

They are sprinting back home and that’s when it started to rain really hard.

“dammit!” Chanhee muttered, embracing both shopping bags into his arms while Byunghun held the jacket over their heads. The rain was absolutely down pouring onto the town.

As they walked on, Byunghun vision began to blur. He shook his head several times to clear the sight, trying to ignore the soreness in his head. Finally they made their way to Minsoo’s driveway and before the house were in sight; Byunghun stumbled over, bumped into the boy beside him.

“brat?” Chanhee called, grabbing the boy around his waist just before he collapsed on the ground. Byunghun fell limp into Chanhee arms as unconsciousness almost took him over. “I’m sorry I…shouldn’t be a…burden” Byunghun said in whisper as exhaustion clearly sounded on his tone.

“shut up stupid!” Chanhee placed one hand on Byunghun’s forehead, wincing at how warm he felt. “, you’re burning up!” panic struck him and Byunghun could see the looks on his face.

At least they are not so far from the house and Byunghun was shivering hard which Chanhee need to bring the boy in warm as quick as possible. He brought the arm of Byunghun over his shoulder, helping him walking home.  

Few minutes later, the house was seen, giving him hope to keep Byunghun out of the cold and heavy rain. Finally, they made it through the door as they went inside but Minsoo wasn’t come in view.

DAMMIT! He must be out!! Chanhee yelled angrily

Suddenly Byunghun take his arm off the latter. "I'll be fine from here" still shivering, he said while rubbing his temple. Making his way to his room, the world began spinning again as Byunghun held onto the wall for support and to keep him from falling over.

Pissing off with the brat act, Chanhee stepped forward, leaving all the shopping bags on the floor and picking the boy up, help carrying him bridal style toward his room. Byunghun stared at him, looking disbelieve. “Don’t act tough stupid. U don’t look fine at all”

“C-Chanhee?”

Ignoring the latter, Chanhee gently laid Byunghun on his bed. “stay there and don’t try to get up. I’ll get u some medicine and something warm to eat” he walked toward Byunghun’s closet and shoved him his cloth and a towel. “dry yourself and change into this” he said coldly before leaving the room and making his way toward the kitchen.

Twenty minutes later, Chanhee stepped upstairs with a tray of warm soup and a pack of medicine prepared. Once he got himself into the room, he saw an empty bed with no sign of a boy laid on it.

He must be in the bathroom.

After few more minutes of waiting, Chanhee starts to get worried. Byunghun hadn’t returned yet and the soup is getting cold. Although he desperately pretends to not care but his feelings keep bothering his mind. Chanhee decided to check up on the boy and walked toward the bathroom.

He knocked the door and when he didn’t hear a response, he called out that he was coming in before sliding the door open.

His eyes went wide once he saw the figure in front him. Byunghun furiously brushing his teeth while leaning one hand against the sink vanity.

“hey, u ok?” the older looked at him, worried could be seen painted on his face.

Byunghun looks paler than before.

The boy nodding his head, using the sink for support again. “I’m fine” he answered, faking a smile.

Chanhee didn’t fall for it. He obviously was lying. He walked passing the boy and looked in the white vomit-filled bowl. He then pointed at the regurgitated food. “what’s this?”

“a toilet….?”

“I know u stupid enough but don’t make yourself looks like a dumber. I mean what’s IN the toilet?”

Byunghun flashed the toilet until all the disgusting of his vomit food disappears. “last night dinner” Byunghun simply stated and Chanhee narrowed his eyes. He pulled up his hand and opening the medicine cabinet hidden behind the mirror. He took out the thermometer, “open your mouth” he ordered, made sure it was on and sticking it under the boy’s tongue without him protest further. They waited until the beep sound filled in the silent room. Chanhee growl “103.5 huh?!”

Byunghun sighed “don’t mind about me. I’ll just go lay down then I’ll be fine” Byunghun stumbled his way out of the bathroom.

“u need to eat” Chanhee said, once he saw Byunghun laid his exhausted body on his bed. Rubbing his temple, Byunghun shook his head “I don’t feel like eating” he said in whisper while closing his eyes. “just want to sleep” he continued.

“don’t be a troublesome! U should eat only then u can take your medicine. If u just sleep like that, your fever will not going down”

“later” Byunghun growled, turning his back to face Chanhee.

“don’t u dare ignoring me!!!” Chanhee yelled, turning Byunghun roughly, making the boy now laid on his back. He pulled Byunghun to sat up on his as his back rest on the head board.

“YAH! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH U?!!” Byunghun pissed off, annoyed enough with Chanhee forceful act.

“DON’T EVER THINK THAT I CARE ABOUT U. EVEN U DIE, I’LL NEVER CARE!!! I ONLY DID THIS BECAUSE U WILL GIVE ME SO MUCH TROUBLE LATER IF MINSOO OR ANYONE KNOW ABOUT U BEING SICK AND I’M SICK ENOUGH TO BE BLAME FOR WHATEVER HAPPENED TO U EVENTHOUGH EVERYONE KNOW IT WASN’T MY FAULT FROM THE VERY BEGINNING” Byunghun turned paler. His eyes opened widely in shock. Chanhee’s words totally stabbed deeply into his heart.

If I die, u will not care…

Byunghun lowered his head down. Tears threatened to fall. “leave” he said, sounded low and cold which Chanhee could hear. “GO AWAY!!” Byunghun screamed, glaring directly on Chanhee as the latter could see the boy’s eyes watery.

“byung..” Chanhee could feel a PANG in his heart, feeling guilty enough for spatting those mean words toward the boy.

I don’t mean what I’ve just said…I do cares about u…

Chanhee could not hold himself. He desperately wants to pull Byunghun into his embrace and holds him tight.

“no one will blame u. just go away” Byunghun said without looking at the latter. He lied down again, turning oppositely from Chanhee.

He really wanted to apologize, but his ego stop him from doing so. “FINE! Just do whatever u want moron!” he said, began walking out, obviously wanted to slapped his own face very hard for hurting the boy with his bad mouth.