Closer to Adulthood

The Tale of Bumbling Idiots

The spring of senior year rolls around. Everyone is sick with senioritis, and Yuji got the worst of it.

“Ji, have you done your homework yet?” Jongdae munched his burger. Perks of being a senior was being able to eat lunch off-campus.

“What homework? Actually, no, who cares about homework? None of the teachers care anymore!” Yuji slurped her soda joyfully.

“Yeah, Jongdae, who cares about school when everyone has already sent their applications?” Baekhyun interjected, earning a high five from Yuji.

“Actually, I hear some schools have already sent out their acceptance letters,” Kyungsoo commented, stuffing his mouth with fries.

“EH?” Everyone excluding Kyungsoo exclaimed.

“I need to go check now!” Baekhyun stood only for Jongdae’s hand to push him back down.

“I drove you, dummy.”

“We have so much we need to do that it stresses me out.” Yuji rubbed her temples. “We need to take a road trip!”

Kyungsoo raised his hand. “I’ll drive. My parents’ minivan can fit all of us.”

 

 

Jongdae’s laptop beeped from his room. He hurried over and saw that Yuji was video calling him. He clicked the accept button and watched his five friends appear on the screen.

“Jongdae! Jongdae! Jongdae! Look! I got accepted to both the colleges I applied for!” Yuji shoved her letters onto the camera.

“Good job, Yuji! I’m proud of you.” Jongdae shifted his attention to the others. “And you guys?”

Minseok, Kyungsoo, and Baekhyun nodded, pointing to their acceptance letters.

“I’m so glad I don’t need to do those yet. You guys will test out the colleges and tell me how it’s like, okay?” Yixing, who was a grade below, cheekily beamed.

“How did you do, Jongdae?” Minseok asked.

“I don’t know, I was just about to look at them when you all called me.”

“Well? What are you waiting for? Open it!” Baekhyun shouted eagerly.

Jongdae slowly tore open the envelope to tease them and read the letter. He bit his lip, looking at the camera like he was about to cry.

The group stared at him through the screen, anticipating the response.

“Your boy got in!” Jongdae yelled, pumping his fist in the air.

Everyone cheered; Baekhyun shook his webcam screen, Minseok and Yuji danced, Kyungsoo screamed, and Yixing sat still holding a thumbs up.

 

 

Jongdae held the phone to his ear, staring at his ceiling as he laid in bed. Yuji was listing the pros and cons of the college she planned on going to.

“Jongdae, we’ll be going to different colleges, aren’t we?”

Jongdae rolled over to face his window. “I suppose.”

“Even then, you’ll still come to my funeral, right?”

Jongdae furrowed his eyebrows. “You’re not going to die in college, Ji.”

“You know what I mean, Jongdae.”

Jongdae sighed and thought of what to say. “Yuji, even though we’re going to different colleges, that doesn’t mean we would cease all forms of communications. We’ll make different friend groups, and we may not be able to talk all that often. But I will most definitely show up to your funeral. I promised the other day I would show up wearing a bunny costume, remember?”

“While blasting Party in the USA.”

“Okay, that’s my limit. Your parents wouldn’t appreciate me doing that,” Jongdae argued. He heard her sigh on the other end.

“Jongdae, how would you describe me at my eulogy?”

Jongdae choked from his saliva. “What? Yuji! C’mon. Don’t jinx things like this.” He pursed his lips. “But in all honesty, I don’t know what I’d say.”

Yuji hummed. “I think I know what I’d say. But it’ll all be lies. I want to mislead people as much as a can. “

“You’re an idiot, Yuji.”

Yuji was silent again.

“I didn’t mean that, Ji.”

“I know, I know,” Yuji responded. “But I was just thinking and stressing again. I don’t know what I want to do in college Jongdae. With my life. There isn’t much that I like.”

“Me either,” Jongdae agreed. Both of them had applied under undecided major.

“Doesn’t that scare you though? We suddenly are this huge responsibility in our hands when all our lives we are used to hearing what to do. What if I don’t graduate? What if I do but never get a job because of a poor economy? What if –”

“Shush, Yuji. You’re psyching yourself out of it again,” Jongdae interrupted. He pondered for a moment. "Literature is my worst class, but I love movies and stuff. Maybe I can be one of the art majors.”

“I can imagine that. I imagine your curly brown hair matched with a black turtleneck and scarf draped around your neck. Possibly some circular fake glasses to go along with it. You’d look like a stereotypical art enthusiast.”

Jongdae should’ve taken it as an insult, but he could kind of picture it nonetheless.

“I think I like math, maybe I should do something with math right? I don’t know what the math majors are, but I’ll do it.”

“Solid, Ji. You’ll find it out,” Jongdae replied.

 

 

“MOVIE JUMPING!” Baekhyun roared in the theater parking lot.

“Shut up, they’ll hear you.” Kyungsoo jabbed Baekhyun in the stomach with his elbow.

“I’m so excited! I’ve never done this before!” Yixing linked arms with Yuji and Minseok.

“Me either,” Minseok said, glancing at the others. “I doubt any of us have.”

“Actually, I have,” Jongdae countered, “with my sister some time back.”

“La-la-la!” Yuji covered her ears. “I won’t have someone tarnishing our senior experience.

The group arrived at the theater before noon so that their tickets could be cheap, and so that they could optimize amount of movie to hop.

Baekhyun stammered, “Three, I mean one! O-one, ticket, please. F-for adult.”

The ticket clerk ripped a ticket, ignoring the fidgety Baekhyun. “Enjoy your movie,” the clerk stated monotonously.

“Huzzah!” Baekhyun hollered when he joined the gang. “That was close, right?” He chortled.

“Only because you made it difficult! If we’re ever breaking a serious law I am totally not letting you in on it,” Kyungsoo whispered as they entered the first movie.

 

The group managed to watch three movies before tiring themselves out. Sneaking past the security or workers wasn’t hard considering the workers didn’t care at all.

Just as they were about to walk out the door, Jongdae stopped. He felt his wrist and gasped.

“What’s wrong, Jongdae?” Minseok asked.

“I lost my bracelet. Oh no, my uncle gave it to me last week! What’s my mom going to say if I told her I already lost it?” Jongdae combed his fingers through his hair. “Can we go back?”

“We don’t know which room you lost it in, and my mom texted me 12 times asking me where I was, so we need to get back, stat,” Kyungsoo responded, heading back to his car.

Baekhyun patted him on the back. “It wasn’t expensive, right?” Jongdae shook his head. “Then it’s okay. Let’s go back.”

 

The ride back home, Yuji noticed Jongdae looking out the window despondently.

 

 

Jongdae’s phone rang, and he noticed it was from an unknown caller. “Hello?”

“Jongdae! Jongdae! Hey, can you come to the theater we went to earlier today and pick me up, and pretend to be my only legal guardian?” Yuji sounded distressed.

“What? Why are you there?” Jongdae panicked, running downstairs to get his keys.

“I’ll explain later, but the security is holding me so please come quickly, thanks.”

“Alright, I’ll be there in 15 minutes.” Jongdae hung up the call and faced his mother in the living room. “Yuji needs to be picked up, so I’ll be right back!”

 

“Hi, I’m looking for a girl named Kwon Yuji.”

The clerk dialed the phone for the security. “Someone’s here for Kwon Yuji.”

A tall burly man exited the entrance in a police uniform. “Are you Kwon Yuji’s guardian?”

“Yes, sir.” Jongdae answered.

The policeman furrowed his eyebrows. “Let me see your ID.”

Jongdae took out his wallet and handed his driver license to the policeman.

“You have different last names.” The policeman grunted.

“Yuji is my cousin. Her parents and mine are out of town so I’m supposed to watch over her.” Jongdae lied smoothly, even though his heart was pounding frantically.

The policeman looked at him then back at the driver license. He handed Jongdae his license back. “Follow me.”

Jongdae was led to the backroom where Yuji sat staring at the walls.

“Jongdae!” Yuji exclaimed.

“You’re free to go, miss. Understand that this is a warning, okay? Next time you will be banned.” The policeman escorted them back outside and wished them a good night.

Jongdae and Yuji walked back to the parking lot.

“Yuji! What were you doing there?”

Yuji avoided looking at him. “I went to go look for your bracelet in the theater rooms.”

“I said it wasn’t important. You didn’t have to risk getting caught just for a little accessory,” Jongdae scolded.

Yuji looked him in the eye as they stood in front of her car. “You looked like you really liked it, though. I didn’t want you to feel sad over it.”

Jongdae leaned against her car, his gaze softening. “And why exactly did the police hold you in the theater’s custody?”

“I sneaked in through the side door to get in, but the clerk noticed, so the policeman got to me. They’re more strict at night, I guess.” Yuji scowled.

Jongdae hugged Yuji. “That was unnecessary, but I really appreciate the sentiment Yuji. I means a lot that you would drive all the way over here and risk getting caught by the security for something you thought was valuable to me.”

Yuji hugged him back tighter. “Of course. I’d do it in a heartbeat.”

Jongdae rested his head atop hers, grinning.