Yellow

You owe me NOTHING

9. Yellow

The moment those lips touched hers, it was all over.

She’d fallen in love with Sehun.

 

‘You’re putting in the form?’

Hye Jin looked up from where she’d been staring down at the writing on the said form, noticeable from a mile away due to its distinct yellow colour, to find Kai looking down at her with his usual impenetrable gaze.

They were now back in the very same meeting room that she first found out he was also a member of the League (there weren’t very many rooms in the League’s headquarters to begin with), and she didn’t miss the irony that it was just after Sehun moved in with her for the first time.

Now that they were dating he was spending a lot of time over (Luhan needless to say was relieved from his bodyguard duties) and Hye Jin had a sneaking suspicion that Sehun had moved back in, based on the fact that his things in her apartment were multiplying with each visit.

And for that very reason she was back in this room, coming full circle.

‘Yeah, I think it’s time. I can’t put it off any longer,’ she didn’t usually need validation from others, her upbringing made her tough with a nonchalant persona, but she found herself asking the question, ‘It’s time, right?’

Kai didn’t answer.

The yellow form was an important submission form. It was made to the League to help them identify significant others in your life. Because being kin to a vampire hunter was like putting a mark on a person-- a sign that they were a loved one which made them a target to Superior-- it was necessary to submit the form to protect the other person.

It was rare that anyone in the League had to submit the form (usually when they join they disclose all their remaining family members) but should you have the misfortune (and indeed that’s how most of the members saw it) to fall in love while doing your job, it did come in handy.

Not that Hye Jin necessarily needed it for Sehun. He was already under the protection from the League for the reasons that had brought them together in the first place – that threat hadn’t disappeared – and now by being with her, he wasn’t in even greater danger.

‘I’m sorry,’ she said quietly, when Kai continued not to answer.

He looked at her in surprise, ‘What for?’

‘For putting your best friend in even more danger,’ not for the first time she questioned her decision to accept Sehun’s feelings and make her own feelings for him known. But when she thought of breaking things off with him… the selfish part of her just couldn’t bear it.

Kai tapped the piece of paper, 'This paper doesn't worry me. As long as you take care of him, that’s all that matters.’

And really… Hye Jin didn’t need to be told that.

She looked at the completed form and went up to take it to the office, smiling sardonically at herself. She was making a commitment to Sehun without him even knowing it.

Maybe without him even wanting it…?

But it was no time to be second-guessing her decisions.

 

+++

 

Meanwhile…

‘Ri-ah,’ the raspy voice came from the shadows, causing the girl in question to freeze as the careful, calculated words continued, ‘you must act. Soon. Do not waste another moon, do not disappoint me again.’

At the word “disappoint” and maybe partially to the word “again”, Ri-ah’s hand clenched and unclenched. She was having difficulty controlling her temper until her aide put a warning hand at her wrist.

‘Yes grandfather,’ she whispered when she eventually composed herself, the reverent tone coming naturally.

He may be “grandfather” to her, but he was Dul to everyone else, one of the three master vampires in South Korea and the head of the organization called Superior. As much as he favoured her because she was his only living granddaughter, Ri-ah knew first hand that he was not against handing out excruciating punishment.

Even if she was blood-related.

But she ignored that for now. They needed to move quickly in order to circumvent the futile attempts of the vampire Hana of keeping Superior from coming into true power.

It frustrated her that they even had to work this hard for it. They were better than the humans: invincible, stronger, with heightened senses. It didn’t make sense to her, or anyone else she knew, why the humans – no scratch that – why the other vampires couldn’t see it.

Instead they chose to live in the shadows while the humans lived in ignorance, arrogant about their “control” over their world… when really all could be easily taken from them.

‘The hunters are guarding him,’ her aide spoke from her side, ‘we need a different plan to draw him out.’

Why her grandfather was set on Sehun she didn’t understand. Of course he was good-looking and it had been fun playing around with him at the nightclub before she gave him his first two bites—however that bastard had thrown her off him in a resounding rejection and caused a cut to her lip (despite it healing within minutes).

She would have to remember to repay him in kind for that.

And of course that of a vampire hunter would have to pay too. While Ri-ah had no personal beef with her prior to this whole thing, she couldn’t have been that stupid. As a vampire hunter she should know what two bites meant – that Ri-ah practically owned Sehun.

And seeing those pictures of the two of them holding hands and staring at each other infuriated her even more…

Sehun was hers.

And Ri-ah would make sure that neither forgot it.

 

+++

 

‘How is he, by the way?’ Hye Jin finally couldn’t keep herself from asking when she and Kai had started to make their way back home from the Headquarters (yellow form submitted, much to the teasing delight of the office ladies who’d always clucked about how Hye Jin should find a nice young man for herself).

It was close to the full moon now and Sehun, still not trusting himself, had returned to his apartment for a few days “to wait it out”.

She missed him (not that she’d ever admit it to him).

‘He’s okay. Jittery, nervous. He doesn’t know if this full moon will affect him in the same way as the last time,’ Kai answered, ‘I know he wants to see you…’

Hye Jin let herself be comforted by that.

‘I can’t wait to see him either. You should go back to him,’ she said, as she reached the top of her street, ‘he hates being alone.’

‘Yeah, will you be okay?’ Kai looked around and then down towards the street.

‘I’ll be fine,’ she laughed, ‘it’s just there. You forget who you’re talking to,’ and with that she waved him off until he turned the corner.

And that’s when trouble started.

She felt them before she saw them.

She reached quickly for her blade, but by then she was surrounded by around ten vampires.

‘Wow,’ she drawled, ‘they sent ten,’ she spied another two waiting on the rooftops of nearby buildings, ‘twelve!! Should I be flattered?’

‘Shut up, human,’ one of them spat, scathingly.

‘Now how do you want to play this – are you going to come at me one at a time or will you all come at once? I need to work out a strategy,’ she said, already mentally preparing to pull out the blade that was concealed in her pant leg.

 ‘Or you can just come quietly, unless you want to see him get hurt…’ Hye Jin turned to see Luhan, unconscious, slung over the shoulder of one of the larger vampires.

Hye Jin froze… from what she could see he was unharmed. Thinking of his doe eyes and sunny disposition, she couldn’t put him in any greater risk.

‘Put the cute boy down and I’ll come with you.’

Of course this involved being smacked on the back of the head before being taken away.

 

+++

 

When Hye Jin finally came to, of course she was tied up in a chair in a very elegantly styled room. Black and white and more than a little sterile, the gentle thudding of house music meant that they were most likely in the Superior’s nightclub. This was probably where Sehun received his first two bites.

‘You finally woke up.’

Hye Jin looked only semi-interested as she saw who she assumed was Dul’s granddaughter, having entered from another room.

‘Han Hye Jin, and you are?’

‘I am Ri-ah,’ the other girl replied, ‘I am Sehun’s master.’

Hye Jin scoffed at that, ‘Master? He’s a human, he has no master.’

‘Are you still fooling yourself with that?’ Ri-ah’s face was full of amusement, ‘Two bites may not make a vampire, but how long have you been a hunter? You should know that historically he’s as good as gone.’

‘History doesn’t have to repeat itself,’ Hye Jin returned.

They stared at each other before Ri-ah broke the deadlock.

‘Oh well, there’s no need to argue about it. He’ll be here soon after all.’ This alarmed Hye Jin. The way Ri-ah was speaking was as if she was 100% confident that Sehun would come. Stupidly, she hadn’t considered that she was only here to draw him out.

She closed her eyes and sent a quick prayer that Kai had kept him well locked up.

 ‘Do you know what I’m going to do to him once he’s mine?’ Ri-ah interrupted her thoughts.

Hye Jin didn’t reply, she kept her eyes shut – willing Sehun to stay away.

‘I’m going to torture him – bit by bit – until he forgets all about you, until he forgets all about himself, until he’s nothing more than just a feral animal.’

Hye Jin’s heart started racing with anger at that imagery and she couldn’t help but open her eyes, to find Ri-ah leering down at her.

‘But of course I won’t let it end there. I’ll bring him back just to the point of sanity and keep him as a slave. A slave to satisfy my lusts – it won’t be the first time,’ just a gentle reminder that Sehun had played around willingly with Ri-ah in the past, ‘and then when I get bored of him and all the blood out of him.’

Hye Jin was holding her breath at this point.

‘Of course I’m not completely a monster… I’ll kill him then.’

 


A/N: Hi everyone, thanks for reading - and for subs! We finally hit 50 subs!! I'm very happy to have all of you here!! Thanks for those who've been dropping comments! xKei