What Am I To You?

Crying Game

Chapter 3

September 6, 2014

It was another casually laid back day at the Cube headquarters. The builiding was quiet, with the faint sounds of music playing coming from various recording rooms and practice rooms. So seeing Hyuna storm out of the building with such cold fierceness in her eyes must've had surprised anyone unlucky enough to have been in her way. In the Cube family, she had long ago acquired the title as the 'Ice Queen'. It had become an inside joke for everyone.  Hyuna throwing temper tantrums wasn't new, (the staff often being the target of her rage) but she still seemed angrier than usual.

Hyuna pushed the main entrance door to the building with such force that it seemed like it would break off it's hinges. Her heels hit the cement street with such aggressiveness that she was surprised they didn't break. Hyuna's face had turned a light shade of red, her breathing heavy- maybe if she breathed hard enough it would all go away. She was furious.

Her head snapped back wildly towards the building, hair flying, to glare vilely at the logo that read 'Cube Entertainment'. How dare that president of hers order to do such a thing?  Hear head hurt thinking back to the conversation they had just had moments ago. 

Hyuna knocked on the door to Seungsung's office. When a muffled voice through the door beckoned her, she opened the door, peeping her head in. "You called, sajangnim?" 

Seungsung sat at his desk, pen in hand as he went through a multitude of papers. "Ah, Hyuna-ssi. Please come in." 

Stepping entirely in the room, Hyuna closed the door behind her before approaching the oak desk. "Is there a problem, sajangnim?" Seungsung was never one to call only her up to his office out of the blue without an explanation. Seungsung was OCD about order. All the meetings with the artists were always scheduled weeks and months in advance. The only time he had ever suddenly called her up to his office was when she was in trouble. Hyuna had only been back in Korea for five days, leaving her confused as to what she could have possibly done. Even though she was the artist who created the most problems in the company, Hyuna had faith that she had been well behaved since her return. 

Seungsung leaned back in his chair, his eyebrows furrowed- something he did so much that they seemed to be stuck together. "Ah, it's nothing terribly wrong, but I think we need to change some plans."

Hyuna blinked in surprise. With his OCD nature, Seungsung always stuck to the plans he made. Whenever he made a decision he would rarely change his mind, no matter how much others complained. "Sajangnim, what do you mean?"

"You saw the articles right?" Hyuna only continued to give him a questioning stare. "Ah, well it seems that the public already knows of your return. I know it's only been a few days and you were wanting to get settled back in before starting anything, but you know how the fans can be." 

Hyuna frowned. He was right, she really did want a few more days to settle back into the life that she had become unfamiliar with before she began the stressful process of pulling all nighters to write songs and get choreographies down. Not to mention all the interviews and music videos. Hyuna wasn't quite confident in her ability to be back on stage and in the spotlight just yet, but now she was being told that she had no time to adjust. 

"I still don't understand why we need to change any of our plans. 4Minute will still work on their comeback music video and album, right?"

Seungsung rubbed his chin. "Actually," he started, "you'll be working on your solo album."

"Eh?" the shock in her eyes was evident. 

"If you read the articles you would understand. It's been nearly two years since you have been in the eyes of the public. You deleted all your social media accounts and no one has heard a peep about you since. Jiyoon-ssi and the others have been doing well with their solo careers and subunits, but for the past year and a half you have done nothing. Hyuna-ssi, you need to catch the public's attention, and in order for you to stand out, I think making a solo album and doing solo music videos would help you get back in the game." He sighed, "I had hoped to have 4minute prepared for the Melon Awards this year, but it seems that won't be happening. There are only three months left, and there just isn't just enough time to get everyone prepared. If I force you guys to write music it will be half-assed and won't be received well by the public. I'd rather just take things slowly, starting with your solo comeback." A pause. "We'll focus on making your comeback happen by mid-december, and after we're done with promoting we can focus on a group comeback in 2015."

For a moment, Hyuna was silent. She had just returned to the industry after being inactive for so long, and now she had to release an album- and a damn good one at that. Hyuna wasn't sure of it. If she didn't have enough faith to be back on the stage, how could she create a solo album in just three months? To make matters worse, it had been nearly three years since her last solo track. It wasn't as if she had stopped writing music when she had been away (that would have been impossible for her) but still, she couldn't afford to put such personal lyrics onto her album.Yet, Hyuna knew that what Seungsung was saying was true. He always knew what was best for his artists, he had been in this business far longer after all. 

Finally, with a slow nod of her head, Hyuna agreed. "I guess I can try." 

Seungsung's eyes narrowed. "It's not 'I can try', Hyuna-ssi. You shouldn't speak with such lack of confidence." He cleared his throat. "Anyways, I was thinking it would be good for you to do a collab music video with a popular artist to help generate more attention."

Hyuna was slightly put off now. She did not work well with anyone outside her circle. Music was something personal to her and she didn't want to do it with a stranger.

"You'll be collaborating with G-dragon."

As if her worst fears had been confirmed, Hyuna's heart dropped to the pit of her stomach. "What? Wae?" her voice had dropped to a chilling level.

"G-dragon-ssi is the most popular idol in Korea, working with him would benefit you greatly." 

Hyuna breathed in sharply, a fire beginning to bubble in her stomach. "Why not someone from BEAST? They're a part of this company and more familiar with my work than someone from YG."

Seungsung carried on, unpertrubed by Hyuna's biting tone and cutthroat glare. "They're currently on tour. Besides, I already contacted G-dragon-ssi this morning and he said that he was all too happy to work with an amazing artist like you." 

The fire in Hyuna's stomach began to burn and bubble now. "What do you mean you already contacted him?" her voice became daggers. "Shouldn't I have a say in who I want to collaborate with on my album?" 

Once again, her animosity was ignored as Seungsung spoke casually to her, not minding the fact that her glare looked like it was about to pierce him. "You can work with any other artist you'd like to work with, Hyuna-ssi. I give you all free creative reign to produce whatever makes you happy, so don't throw a childish tantrum." 

Hyuna opened , a tirade of unkind words ready to be released. "But-

"I don't want to hear your complaints. You'll need to call GD-ssi and meet up with him today to start working. Be respectful to your sunbae and don't be late." Seungsung had already picked up his pen and gone back to work. "I'll message you his phone number. You may leave now."

For a moment, Hyuna just stood there, her teeth clenched so tight that she thought they might break. With one last look of cold exasperation, she her heels and stormed out. 

And so, Hyuna was standing outside the building, with a bitter feeling in . Tearing her glare away from the building, she whipped back around to continue her storm to her car. 

She had already had a rough morning. When Hyuna had woken up in the morning, she had found herself and alone in bed. Siwon leaving without a word left her heart clenching. He could have at least left a note. She had drank enough alcohol to make her feel tingly to erase the empty feeling Siwon had left her with. 

When Hyuna sat in the drivers seat, she violently slammed the car door closed, the noise echoing through the parking lot. She wanted to pull out her hair and scream and slam the horn with her fists until they became bruised and bloody- but she would never do that. Hyuna's rage was a chilled silence that filled the air around her. Her rage was a violent snowstorm on a bleak, winter day. So instead, with a deep breathe, her heart still pounding, Hyuna took out her phone to see what exactly the netizens had to say about her. 

 

4Minute's Hyun-A Spotted On A Date With Super Junior's Siwon! Possible Comeback?!

4Minute's Hyun-A was yesterday spotted by a fan on a date with Super Junior's Siwon at a cafe. The two were seeing casually chatting together when a fan was able to snap a picture. [see image below]

4Minute was swept up in tragedy and much controversy in 2013, and shortly after Hyun-A was confirmed to have left Korea on a hiatus, shocking fans around the world. While there were many rumors of the couples break up, Hyun-A quitting 4Minute and their possible disbandment, Cube's CEO Hong Seung Sung had promised that the group was just taking time to recover and would quickly return to the spotlight. Though netizens were doubtful, and believed that Hyun-A leaving the country was confirmation that she was quitting not only the group- but the music industry as well. All our worries may be put to rest soon with Hyun-A's return to Korea and an inside source stating that 4Minute will have their comeback by the end of this year. Hopefully, we can look forward to the return of the famous girl group soon. 4NIA's, you may not have to hold your breathe much longer!

[+1342, -98] omg I'm so glad that Hyun-A's back in Korea. I was so disappointed and worried for her when she left Korea ( ˃̣̣̥ω˂̣̣̥ )​

[+987, -47] Things must have been so hard for her... fighting! (๑>◡<๑)​

[+492, -51] When she left Korea I thought they had broken up since Siwon never talked about her anymore...good to know that SiNa is still going strong. 

 

 Although she hadn't planned on notifying the public of her return, Hyuna had been glad to see so many positive comments. She didn't understand why she needed to promote a solo album, but as she scrolled further down in the comments tightened. 

[+523, -702] though I recognize her as a talented artist... I kinda forget she existed...

[+345, -300] I agree... when you disappear from the public for so long people start to forget about you..

[+156, -356] I'm not too happy with her being back... what kind of person abandons their group and fans in a time when everyone's suffering like that...

[ +321, -406] People may be angry but it's true... the way she left without considering the feelings of her fans and members was very selfish and uncool. We were hurt too...

 

Hyuna threw her phone on the passenger seat in frustration. Selfish? Uncool? Weren't the netizens being quite hypocritical themselves? Hyuna felt anger rising in her once again at the thought of the fans comparing their pain to hers. She had suffered on much more deeper and personal level than any fan could. She just wanted to heal, but she couldn't even do that without being criticized.

Her phone vibrated on the passenger seat, breaking Hyuna's tirade of angry thoughts. For a moment she stared at it, well aware of what the message was. When the phone finally found it's way back into her hand, Hyuna scowled at the screen. Her suspicions had been confirmed, it was Seungsung who had texted her G-dragon's number. 

For minutes she just continued to scowl at the number, her hands gripping the phone so tight that they turned white. Maybe if she directed enough of her hatred at the number on the screen it would burst into flames. But instead of throwing her phone out the window and peeling out of the parking lot like she wanted, Hyuna found herself sighing, her death grip on her phone slackened. With begrudging realization, Hyuna accepted that Seungsung was right. If she wanted to return from the hole she had dug herself, she had to have a strong comeback. With so much competition in the music industry these days, it would be hard for her to do it alone. She had to win back the love and trust of her fans.

And so, Hyuna found herself sending G-dragon himself a text message. There was no way she had the nerves to call him, if she did her chilly attitude would probably freeze him through the phone. So with a sigh, she sent a simple text. 

To: 82-XXX-XXXX

Annyeonghaseyo sunbaenim, it's Hyuna. Just want to know what time you are free today to meet up?

 

Hyuna didn't even start her car, too nervous for his response to have the ability to concentrate to drive. For five minutes she sat there, waiting for his response. When her phone finally buzzed, she jumped. Quickly, she opened the message.

Sender: 82-XXX-XXXX

Annyeong, Hyuna-ssi. Does 7pm at YG sound okay? The studio room is 231 on the fifth floor. 

She suddenly felt very irritated again. How dare he say hello to her so casually as if they were friends? Even through text messages Kwon Jiyong was an irritating man. With a quick response, confirming that she would be there, Hyuna put her car into drive and sped out of Cube in annoyance and anger. If her brother knew that she was driving in such a reckless way, he would have a heart attack.


When Hyuna returned home, she was surprised to see Siwon home walking back and forth in the living room. He was on the phone talking animatedly and laughing loudly, not taking any notice to her.

Already fed up with the days she had, Hyuna slammed the keys indignantly on the table besides the front door, causing Siwon to spin around in surprise. "Hyuna!" it was clear that he hadn't expected her to come home so soon. For a moment he was silent, before awkwardly talking into the phone. "Ah..I have to go now, Hyuna's home. I'll talk to you later. Bye." Hanging up, Siwon smiled warmly. "Babe." 

But instead of running into his arms and complaining about the awful day she had, Hyuna walked silently to the kitchen, immediately going for the bottle of bourbon in the cabinet. Filling the glass to the brim, she sat down on the kitchen stool, downing the glass in several large gulps. The alcohol burned, something Hyuna had grown used to. Siwon watched wordlessly.

"Who was that?" she asked rigidly, pouring herself another glass.

"Just one of the boys," he responded awkwardly. 

"Sure it was."

"What is that supposed to mean?" his tone changed, the carefree attitude he displayed earlier disappearing. 

Hyuna looked at him for the rest time since she had returned, her stare cold. "Nothing." 

Once again, she found herself pouring another glass.

Siwon walked around the island counter, grabbing her aggressively by the arm. "What. Do. You. Mean." 

Hyuna narrowed her eyes, piercing his orbs with an infuriated knowing look. "You know exactly what I'm talking about," she bit back bitterly. "First you leave me alone in bed in the morning after having with me, and now you're lying about who you're talking to."

His grip on her arm tightened. "You're drunk."

She laughed dryly. "Yes, and you're an ."

His grip tightening even further, her arm began to throb painfully. "Babe, let's not do this," he warned. 

But right now Kim Hyuna had no filter. She was pissed and the alcohol loosened her tongue. " you, Siwon. Am I your girlfriend or a one night stand?"

"YAH!" he yelled before violently jerking her from her chair to slam her into the fridge, the force of impact causing it to shake. Hyuna felt like her arm socket had nearly been ripped out. The shock had made her mute. It had been a long time since Siwon had acted violent towards her, and she wasn't quite sure how she was supposed to react. 

The large house was silent, only their heavy breathes could be heard. Siwon had her trapped against the fridge, one arm still painfully gripping onto her, while the other fist had hit the fridge. Suddenly the Siwon in front of her became the cruel Siwon she hated the most. He shook with rage, his nose flaring and his eyes wild. Hadn't those eyes just been smiling at her last night?

For what seemed like an eternity time stood still as they stared at each other, the tension in the air heavy around them. And then, quickly as Siwon had shook her, his hand disappeared and he grabbed his leather jacket, heading out the door. 

When the door slammed behind him, Hyuna flinched. Slowly, she slid down the fridge to the cool wooden floor. And for what felt like forever she sat there, staring at empty space with a lifeless expression, her arm aching and the sound of the door slamming still echoing in her mind. 

And once again, Hyuna found herself feeling emptier than she had last night. She bit back a bitter laugh. 


Pleaaaase don't kill me! I know you all have been inticipating more GDxHyuna interaction, and I promise it will come next chapter, but I just really wanted to get the situational awareness and personalities established before I moved into their interactions. I know the endings always leave a foul taste in your mouth...and it's gonna be like that for awhile. What can I say, it's not supposed to be a happy story. 

I also just wanna say thank you so much for all the support! I gained nearly 30 followers just from the last chapter alone. I value all your comments as well. Feedback really helps me write and know if I'm going in the right direction with this story. 

Lastly, huge shouthout to colacocoa6156 for always leaving lovely comments~

Chapter 4 will be released Tuesday! :)