Sweater Weather

Fire that light!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol shivers in his thin long-sleeved shirt. From across the room, Baekhyun sees him rubbing heat on his shoulders. He his head to the sidemotioning to the news muttering about the season changing. He peers up at Chanyeol in his short sleeves and mutters, “end of summer”, before shrugging and walking back to the kitchen.

 

--

 

Leaves cover the roof below Baekhyun’s window. Chanyeol brings out the leaf-blower and blasts it on.

Baekhyun wakes up abruptly and dashes through the window and sees Chanyeol with headphones on and pointing a leaf-blower at their room’s window. Baekhyun uselessly yells at him from the window, “chanyeol!”

 

--

 

Chanyeol baked an apple pie and alloed it to cool in the fridge. He waits for Baekhyun to wake up so they can eat it together, but he really has to restock the fridge now. A few minutes later, Baekhyun pads downstairs, hungry. He opens the fridge and sees an apple pie sitting appetizingly on a silver tray. He his lips and concluded breakfast, tasty.

Chanyeol comes back home from buying groceries. He opens the fridge and half of the apple pie he made was gone. With a silver fork left on the platter. He leans back, sighs and yells, “Baekhyun!”

Baekhyun apologizes by making a pumpkin pie. Chanyeol smiles at it and eats it whole-heartedly. He bites something solid and presumes it’s pumpkin. It tasted like foil. He spits it out and inspects it. It is foil.

Baekhyun apologizes once more, this time he gifted Chanyeol with an apple pie-flavored kiss.

 

--

 

Chanyeol changes into his blue jeans. Baekhyun into his patterned sweatshirt.

Baekhyun frowns at Chanyeol. Chanyeol raises an eyebrow. Baekhyun points at the jeans, “That’s mine.” Chanyeol changes and set them back three minutes from their scheduled routine.

The two of them walk hand in hand to the park. Holding brown paper bags on their other hand. One houses breads and crumbs while the other cinnamon buns and coffee cups.

They sit on their usual bench. One covered in scratches and love signs. Beside them the giant oak tree towers.

Five maybe six squirrels near them were playing by the grass. As soon as Baekhyun positioned a piece of bread  by his booted-foot a hoard of squirrels came barrelling forth.

Chanyeol went wide-eyed in surprise and laughs as Baekhyun almost jump in his arms.

As the afternoon fades and night time peeks in, they have fed almost every critter in the park. Ducks, squirrels and sparrows alike.

Baekhyun tugs at Chanyeol’s sleeves and points at the puddle of August leaves. Chanyeol takes out is phone and ushers Baekhyun to pose with the foliage. Baekhyun crouches down on the cement.

Smiles.

He smiles so wide his gums showed. His eyes curled. His face glowed. Baekhyun smiles so wide, Chanyeol almost forgot to breathe.

Click. Flash.

Click. Flash.

Click. Flash.

 

--

They walk home hand in hand. Limbs swinging side to side. The bright moon lit their path creating shadows and silhouettes of their form. Baekhyun doesn’t see Chanyeol’s contented smile. Chanyeol doesn’t see Baekhyun’s satisfied grin. But it doesn’t matter because Baekhyun feels Chanyeol’s grip tightening around his and Chanyeol feels Baekhyun’s answering squeeze on their tangled hands.

Once, on their porch, Chanyeol tilts Baekhyun’s head back. His lips tasted like coffee and his eyes were dark chocolate.

 

--

 

It was a Saturday. The calendar on their bedroom is screaming ‘Festival day!’ in varying shades of purple and yellow and blue colored markers.

Baekhyun rolls around the bed a few more times before he even thinks about standing up. Five more minutes in bed and two more times of Chanyeol yelling for him to get up, Baekhyun finally, finally frees himself from the confines of flower-scented sheets.

Brunette hair and cow combined together did not a happy Baekhyun make.

Chanyeol turns up the radio as he busies himself in the kitchen wearing his corn yellow slippers. Baekhyun finds it tacky but bought it for Chanyeol anyway. Chanyeol retaliates by buying Baekhyun an orange printed hoodie.

It back fires pretty quickly when Baekhyun wore it. It looked perfect.

Baekhyun wears it smugly to spite Chanyeol. That night the hoodie finds home on the corner of the bed as its owner is being rocked to bliss.

 

Chanyeol is excited. Baekhyun is ecstatic.

Both of them meet up with friends at the entrance. The festival is a two-day event celebrating the beginning of the 'Season of Harvest'.

Pumpkin pie eating contest. Singing contest –songs about Fall. Photo booths. Fresh fruits and vegetables stands. Shoot-a-duck stall. Spices in jars on shelves. Bread and buns for sale.

Baekhyun goes home elated, clutching on to a squirrel stuff-toy. Chanyeol carries home his jar of maple syrup and a jar of cinnamon spice. The crunching of dry leaves echoing their steps into the night.

 

--

 

Baekhyun wears a brown corduroy and Chanyeol hugs him, "are you dressing up as a bear or are you going as yourself?"

Baekhyun smacks him on the shoulder as he alughs sarcastically. Chanyeol nips on Baekhyun's bear ears and hugs him ‘til Baekhyun had to tap Chanyeol’s arms.

Chanyeol leans back and pecks Baekhyun’s hair. "How about you? Are you going as a creepy old dude who hands out candies or a creepy old guy who hands out candie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter