Jealousy

First Romance

 

“Well, it’s worth the try,” Taeyang started to stand up and leave.

                Dara was fast to grab his wrist to pull him back to his seat. “Call me. Here’s my number,” she said, grabbing her phone from her pocket. “But maybe I will be busy tomorrow.”

                “Really? I can really call you?” his energy came back.

                “Sure. I think we can really be good friends. Anyway, Bom and I always go to the gymnasium after class. We can have bondings there, right?” she smiled.

                However, Taeyang wasn’t really listening. He stopped listening after saying that ‘they can be good friends’. It’s like he tuned out her voice. ‘Friends? Good friends?’  These were the words playing inside his mind. It hurts, yes. But if he really wants her to be his, he has to work hard.

                “Come on, it almost time. I’ll walk you to your room,” he said instead.

                Everybody at school saw them together. As usual, angry glares meet her. She just shrugged them off. They were just jealous. Taeyang, as a transferee, became a hot topic around the school so fast. Especially when people found out Taeyang is Jiyong’s best friend.

                The two of them were happily talking as if they were already two close friends. Dara didn’t find Taeyang difficult to be with. She enjoys his company. He throws jokes at her and she laughs wholeheartedly.

                “Dara, let me carry your things,” Taeyang offered.

                “No, it’s okay. I’m fine,” Dara refused. Taeyang still helped her though.

                Jiyong saw them. He doesn’t seem to be happy with the idea of them together. But he doesn’t show it. He’s now alone, Sohee left to go to her next class.

                “Jiyong! What’s up? You’re dating Sohee again?” Taeyang asked, but he didn’t wait for a response. “We just finished our lunch. See ya!” he winked at him as if passing a message to him.

                “Here are your books,” Taeyang handed her things to her upon arriving at their room.

                “Thanks, Taeyang,” Dara said, smiling. Then, Jiyong passed between them.

                “Dara-ya! Taeyang! What’s up? Are you two developing intimate feelings already? How fast!” Bom teased.

                “Bom!” Dara glared at her.

                “Bye, Dara. I’m going to our room now,” Taeyang waved, his eye smile showing.

                “So…” Bom said when they were alone now. “What did you two talk about when I wasn’t around anymore?” Bom has her teasing tone again.

                Then, the bell rang.

                “GAAAAAAH!” Bom shouted. “The bell always interrupts.”

                After 5 minutes or so, the teacher hasn’t arrived yet. So, Bom went to Jiyong’s desk to gossip. “Couz! I think there’s something between Dara and Taeyang, what can you say?”

                “Bom!” Dara shouted upon hearing what she’s saying.

                “I think he and Dara would be good together,” Jiyong said, expressionless, eyes staring into space outside the window.

                “Jiyong!” Dara shouted louder and stood up, angrier now. Everyone on the classroom stared at them two. Bom sneakily returned to her desk. Jiyong stared at her in shock.

                “Class! Settle down,” Mister Choi said. “Settle down, Miss Park.”

 

                At the end of the day, Bom and Dara were at the gymnasium again. Dara has forgiven Bom already because she apologized.

                Upon arriving, Dara saw an eye sore.

                “Do you feel exhausted, my Jiyongie?” Sohee flirtatiously said while wiping his sweat.

                “Look at her,” Bom whispered to Dara. “Do you know that flirty girl?”

                “Yeah, Taeyang told me all about her,” Dara said.

                “Oh yeah, tell me now, Dara. What did you and Taeyang talked about a while ago?”

                “Well, he confessed to me and asked me out, so I gave him my number,” Dara explained, eyes never leaving Sohee, but Bom never noticed because she’s concentrating too much on her every words.

                “Oh my gosh!” Bom shouted.

                “Shhhh.” Dara shushed her.

                “He’s going to court you now,” Bom said.

                She wasn’t able to respond because Taeyang sat beside her.

                “Hello, Dara. Came to see me?” Taeyang said, winking. “So, when are we going out?”

                “Um, I’m free today. But I think you’re busy practicing,” Dara said matter-of-factly.

                “Yeah. They need me,” Taeyang said.

                “Hmmmf. Show-off,” Bom mumbled, but no one heard her.

                “Gotta go, Dara!” Taeyang said, waving.

                “Dara, she’s crazy about you. Do you think he has a chance?” Bom asked. But she hasn’t had a chance to respond because Taeyang came back.

                “Oh yeah, before I forget, I’m inviting you to our first basketball game this year. It would be this Saturday. Please come. Here’s a ticket,” Taeyang offered the ticket.

                “Wait a minute! Wait a minute!” Bom interrupted. “Why only her? Taeyang! I’m your childhood friend. Why don’t I have one?”

                “Don’t get jealous, Bommie. You have your cousin. Ask one from him,” Taeyang said.

                “Jealous? Ha! Don’t be too full of yourself. I’m not jealous,” Bom shouted.

                “You seem to be jealous,” Dara said, giggling. “Here, have my ticket.”

                “I can’t. Taeyang would get angry,” Bom said, matter-of-factly.

                “Of course, I will,” Taeyang said.

                Bom glared at him and left.

                “Why are you like that, Taeyang?” Dara said and ran after her. Taeyang followed.

                “Bom!” Dara called, “Here, have my ticket.”

                Bom turned to them.

                “No!” Taeyang said. “That ticket is yours.”

                Bom turned back to leave again.

                Taeyang held her wrist to stop her. Bom felt her face heat up. “Have mine. I’ll buy another one for me.”

                It took long for Bom to turn to him and grab the ticket. She was afraid they would notice her blush.

                “Really?” she faced him finally. She saw him nod. She grabbed the ticket and ran away happily. “Ha! You’re so easy to be fooled. I was acting, fool!”

                Taeyang chased after him. Dara was laughing alone. ‘She must like him,’ she thought.

                “Taeyang! Bom!” she called. “I’m going home. It’s already dark outside.”

                “Should I accompany you?” he said gasping for breath.

                “No. I’m accompanying her. It’s my duty as her best friend,” Bom said. “Go on, practice!”

                “Bye, Taeyang!” Dara waved.

                “Bye, Dara! Take good care of her for me, Bom,” Taeyang said, winking.