The Apple

First Romance

 

Dara caressed the head of her little sister as Minzy is hugging her waist. She insisted Minzy and her mother to sleep beside her tonight.

“Mom?” she called silently. She knows her mom is still awake, she can still hear her crying silently.

Her mom turned to face her, wiping the tears off her face.

“Oh, you’re stil awake, Dara?” her mom asked.

“I can’t sleep,” she said. “Can I ask you something mom?”

Her mom nodded.

“How did you know about the girl?”

“He left his phone and she texted saying that she can’t meet him tonight and that she misses and loves him so much,” her mom exclaimed, trying to swallow pass through the lump on . “After that, I scrolled to read the other messages. After that, I knew enough. He caught me scanning through his phone and he confronted me saying that how dare I touch the things of others. When he saw what I have been reading, he was horrified. Then the fight started.”

Dara gritted her teeth, but she tried to relax.

“Do you know her?”

“Accordingly, she’s either a nurse or a doctor on a school. I don’t what school but I know he’s working full time there.”

Dara stiffened but she immediately erased the thoughts she had. They were silent for a while.

“I love you, mom,” she whispered with her eyes closed.

“I love you, too, darling,” her mom said feeling another tea falling from her eyes.

 

An insistent ringing of the phone woke her up.

“Hello?”

“Dara! Dara! Are you okay?”

“Huh?” she said as she massaged the throbbing pain she’s feeling on her jaw.

“Last night, you left something on my car and when I went back to return it to you I heard your voice. You were screaming so loud, as if in the middle of an argument. I couldn’t understand anything. But I knew it was you. I was about to rush in but some force stopped me. I don’t know why. I should’ve entered to check on you. I could be of help. Tell me, Dara. You’re okay right?”

Dara heaved a sigh. “Cal down, Seunghyun. Meet me at the park.”

Seunghyun was hesitant and unsure how to answer. “Um, okay. But—“

Then, Dara put her phone down.

 

Dara wrapped her neck with a scarf to hide the bruise that is very clear on her face. The scarf was covering half of her small face. The people she passed by kept on giving her glares who find it weird for her to be wearing a scarf on such a nice sunny spring morning.

She arrived and saw Seunghyun with his back facing her.

“I’m sorry, I’m late,” she said, lowering her scarf.

Seunghyun turned and gasped at what he saw. “What happened?!”

But before she could answer, a few running steps interrupted her. She turned and saw Chaerin, Taeyang and Bom who gave surprised looks at the bruise on her face.

“What happened to your beautiful face, Dara?” Taeyang said.

“I’m sorry. I called them last night after I heard what happened. Then, when you called me earlier, I informed them and they insisted on seeing you too,” Seunghyun explained.

“It’s okay,” Dara said. She scanned the place for someone but saw nothing.

“What happened, unnie?” Chaerin asked out of concern.

“Let’s sit first,” Dara offered, sitting in between Bom and Chaerin.

She related what happened last night. She couldn’t help but cry. Good thing her friends were there to comfort her. She was leaning her head on Bom’s shoulder while Bom was her hair and Chaerin patting her arm. It hurts her friends seeing her being like this.

Meanwhile, there was a lurking shadow hiding behind a tree, which is just beside the bench they were sitting, listening to every word she’s saying. Seunghyun secretly called him but he especially requested him not to tell her. Now, he regretted what he said. It pains him to see her hurting like this. He wanted to be the one to whom she’s leaning on. He wanted to be the one beside her. He wanted to be the one to comfort her. But he couldn’t. And he thought that everyone he needs is already there that’s why he left without showing himself to her.

 

“Mom?” Dara called when she went home.

Her mom was sitting silently crying her eyes out on the sofa. “He left,” she said, sobbing. “He left without a word.”

Dara went towards her crying mother and hugged her. She felt her fist clenched into a very tight ball.

 

Seunghyun stared at the empty desk beside him the next day.

“She’s absent,” Jiyong said.

Seunghyun nodded. “We need to do something.”

Jiyong agreed and stood up from his desk. As if that they read each other’s minds, they walked out of the classroom trying not to be noticed.

Bom noticed them and shouted. “Where are you going?”

Jiyong hushed her. “Where going to go to Dara’s,” he whispered.

“And, skip class?” Bom gasped.

Seunghyun covered and Bom blushed deeply.

“Are you coming with us?” Jiyong whispered. She nodded.

They went to Taeyang’s classroom and motioned him outside.

“What’s up?” Taeyang greeted.

“Dara’s absent,” Bom said.

“Really?” Taeyang gasped. “I guess I have to go to her father and confront him.”

“Stop overreacting, Taeyang. Aish!” Bom said.

“I’m not,” Taeyang disagreed.

“You, two, stop fighting, will you?” Jiyong ordered and they both shut up.

“We’re going to Dara’s,” Seunghyun said plainly.

“Count me in,” a voice said behind them.

They all turned and saw Chaerin.

 

Meanwhile…

“Dara-unnie, why won’t you come with us?” Minzy complained hanging tight on her unnie’s waist.

“I can’t, I have to finish school,” Dara said Minzy’s hair. “Be good, okay? Don’t be a hard-headed kid for mom okay? Help mom as much as you can.”

“I will miss you, unnie,” Minzy said crying, soaking Dara’s uniform.

“Come on, Minzy, we have to go. Your unnie have to go to school now,” her mom said.

Dara ran towards her mom who was waiting just beside the taxi and hugged her. “I will miss you, mom.”

“I will too,” she said then leaned back and her face. “Take good care of yourself here, okay? I just need to go to our province in Gapyeong and work. Your grandparents promised to help me earn. I’ll promise to send you money always. I’m sorry I have to leave. Please understand, okay?”

Dara nodded, feeling her tears rolling down her cheeks. “Promise me you’ll come back.”

Her mom nodded and kissed her forehead.

“Dara unnie!” Minzy said crying, hugging her waist again. “Come with us.”

“I can’t. I’m even absent today just to help you pack up your things,” Dara explained.

“Yeah, we’re absent too,” someone interrupted.

Dara was shocked to see the five people emerged from her left. Even she was shocked to see Jiyong with them, but there was Chaerin clinging unto his arm. He couldn’t look straight at Dara. But she was somewhat happy that he came with them.

“Dara!” Bom squealed and hugged her tightly.

“Why are you here?” Dara said.

“We were worried because it was your first absence,” Seunghyun said.

Dara was touched. She never imagined she would ever have best friends like them. They would even ditch school to check on her.

“Dara-unnie!” Minzy interrupted.

“Oh, Minzy. You’re making it hard for me,” Dara said. “Go now.”

“Dara, aren’t you really going to see them off until Gapyeong?” Chaerin said.

“I can’t. We have school,” Dara said.

“We can ditch school for the whole day, you know,” Jiyong said for the first time.

“Okay,” Dara nodded.

 

Everyone went with them. Dara was shocked. She thought they were convincing only her to see them off until Gapyeong until she realized that they’re coming too. When they arrived at their province’s house, they were welcomed warmly by their big family. They hugged each other. Somehow, they forgot that they had companions who went with them to the province. That was when Dara introduced her friends to her family.

After the introduction, everyone went to their own business. Bom and Chaerin went towards the green field and felt the fresh air gushing against their faces. There’s no fresh air in the city so they were enjoying the fresh province feeling. Taeyang and Jiyong went towards an apple tree with many fruits and they picked and ate one. They felt that the taste of this apple is more delicious than the apples they ate in the city. Meanwhile, Seunghyun is hanging out with Dara’s family who found it amusing that he is actually Dara’s childhood friend and on the past few years, she has never mentioned having a childhood friend or that sort. Dara and Minzy are having a conversation with their grandmother.

“Minzy, you grew up so well,” her grandma said.

“Yes, mom has taken care of us very well,” Minzy said, smiling brightly.

“Oh, is that so? That’s good,” she said and turned to Dara. “And you, you have grown to be a beautiful lady. Have you dated anyone before?”

“Grandma,” Dara complained. “I’m not dating anyone. I’m still studying,” Dara said and hugged her grandma so tight. “I missed you so much, granny.”

“I thought I heard an angel’s voice,” someone said from behind.

Dara immediately turned with a bright smile when she immediately recognized whose voice that was. She squealed and ran towards him.

“Jaejoong!” she shouted and embraced him.

With his buff physique, Jaejoong lifted her and spun around hugging her back. He put her down. “Why you little rabbit, why haven’t you visited us before?” he said messing up her hair.

“Hey! Don’t mess up my hair,” she complained giggling while fixing her hair.

Meanwhile…

“Why, who’s the hunk?” Chaerin whispered to Bom.

“I don’t know, but he sure is hot,” Bom whispered back.

Taeyang heard this and he hissed. “Ya! You’re flirting again.”

“Flirting?!” Bom shouted. “I am not,” she said then lowered her voice. “I just said that he’s hot.”

With that, Taeyang pushed Bom causing them to chase each other.

Jiyong kept on throwing dirty glares towards the direction of the two people who kept on enjoying themselves, while he was just sitting there under the apple tree munching on his apple.

“You know, I miss the times you carry me behind your back when we were still kids,” Dara stated.

“Well…” Jaejoong said crouching in front of Dara. Dara excitedly climbed up behind him and when Jaejoong stood up, they ran around, their laughter echoing through the open space.

“She seems to enjoy herself with him,” Taeyang said while panting after he decided to stop chasing after Bom who lied on the green ground.

Jiyong snorted. He quickly finished the apple he’s munching and picked another one from the tree. Then…

“Ouch!” Jaejoong complained as something hard hit his head. “What the…” he stopped running and put Dara on her feet. He picked up the uneaten apple that just hit his head and examined it. “Who threw this at me?” he said looking around him. He never noticed anyone suspicious who looked like the one who hit him the apple. He saw the two girls running around and two guys who just stood up from sitting at the foot of the tree to join the girls playing around. He thought if one of the two guys was the one who hit him hard on his head. Only… why?

“Did it hit you hard?” Dara asked, inspecting his head.

“Uhhh… no,” Jaejoong said shaking his head, and pulled her inside.

 

Everyone was gathered around the table and was eating the food especially prepared by Dara’s grandmother. They were having fun conversation.

“So…” Bom started. “You are?” she said turning to Jaejoong.

“Oh, yeah, he’s Jaejoong, my friend-slash-my very young uncle,” she laughed with Jaejoong as if they shared an inside joke. Everyone had confused looks on their faces. “Well, granny adopted him several years ago, making him mom’s brother. However, he’s just as the same age as us. Every time, we have a vacation, I visit Gapyeong to see him and we would spend the whole vacation together.”