Issues

First Romance

 

The final bell rang signaling the end of the classes for the whole day. Bom turned to where Dara was sitting only to be met by an empty desk.

“Omo, where’d Dara go?” she thought. At Jiyong’s new seat, he was still sleeping with his head on his crossed arms. “Hey!” Bom shouted.

Jiyong jumped. “What?!” he complained.

“You’re sleeping again,” Bom said. “Where’d Dara go?”

“Huh?” Jiyong asked staring at the empty desk just in front of his.

“Hey!” Taeyang called from the door of their room.

“Hi,” Bom shyly greeted back.

“I saw Dara,” he said.

“Really?” Bom and Jiyong chorused.

“Yeah. She was with that rapper. She looked so cheerful with him. it seemed like she forgot all about the world around her. I even said hi but she never noticed me. She never let go her gaze at him,” Taeyang complained, his arms crossed on his chest.

Jiyong and Bom were thoughtful.

They started to walk together too. Upon reaching the gate, they saw the two walking hand-in-hand. Dara’s things were on the free hand of Seunghyun.

“Dara!” the three of them called together.

Dara turned and smiled at them.

They ran toward the two.

“Why’d you leave us?” Bom asked.

“Oh, Mianhe, Bom. Seunghyun offered to walk me home. I forgot to inform you.”

“Wait!” a voice called from behind them. All of their eyes were on her. Chaerin was running and panting.

“You were fast,” Chaerin complained.

“Oh, Chaerin. I forgot to introduce you.”

“No need, I’ll introduce myself,” she said smiling, showing her eye-smile. “I’m Lee Chaerin, Seunghyun’s friend from France.”

“Nice meeting you,” Dara said, I’m-“

“Sandara Park, I know. Seunghyun used to talk about you a lot.”

“Really?” Dara said blushing and looked at Seunghyun. He just nodded.

Dara also introduced her other friends to Seunghyun.

“This is-“

Bom cut her off. “I’m Park Bom. Dara’s best friend,” she shook Seunghyun’s hand too long that it was already awkward. She also shook Chaerin’s hand.

“Um, yeah…” Dara said awkwardly too. And he’s…”

Taeyang cut her off too and went to shake hands with Seunghyun. “I’m Taeyang, the first one to ask Dara out.”

Seunghyun was taken aback. But he wasn’t jealous. He knew their story. Dara elbowed Taeyang.

“And…” Dara trailed off when Jiyong grabbed his hand.

“Ainsi, vous êtes son meilleur ami?” Jiyong said in fluent French. (So, you are her best friend?)

“Oui, et vous etes?” Seunghyun asked, surprised. (Yes, and you are?)

“Pourquoi avez-vous tout d'un coup la quitter?” Jiyong asked, his eyes in fury. (Why did you suddenly leave her?)

“Je n'ai pas la laisser sur le but. Qui êtes-vous, par la voie? Son petit ami?” Seunghyun returned his deadly glare to him. (I did not leave her on purpose. Who are you, by the way? Her boyfriend?)

Their exchange of French words caught the others off guard. That made them to stop talking and stare at them.

“You can speak French?” Dara asked Jiyong.

“Actually, Jiyong was able to live at France for about a year or two so naturally, he learned their language,” Bom explained.

 “Yeah, that’s true.” Chaerin agreed.

All four eyes turned to her.

“Oh, you didn’t know? My mom and his dad were business partners before. We first met during his dad’s birthday party. And then, when he left, that was when I met Tabi for the first time.”

“Tabi?” Dara asked.

“Oops,” Chaerin said cutely, covering .

“It was my nickname in our company,” Seunghyun explained. “She never calls me Seunghyun or TOP.”

Dara nodded and thought, so, she met Jiyong before. They already knew each other. Also, she seems very close to Seunghyun.

“So, let’s go?” Seunghyun said, leading.

When the Dara and Seunghyun walked ahead, the others followed.

“Wait!” Bom shouted.

“We’re going with you,” Taeyang called.

Jiyong just followed. He was surprised to feel an arm clinging on his.

“Let’s walk together, oppa,” Chaerin said.

Seunghyun and Dara were leading, hand-in-hand, chatting. Jiyong was annoyed with the noisy creature clinging on his arm, talking and talking. Taeyang was glaring at him as if there’s no tomorrow. Bom was thinking about Taeyang still in love with her best friend, apparent from how he reacts with Seunghyun’s closeness with Dara.

When they arrived in front of Dara’s house…

“Thanks for walking me home,” Dara bowed.

“No pro-“ Seunghyun started but got cut off by Taeyang.

“No problem, Dara. Tomorrow again.”

“Do you want to come in?” Dara offered.

“No, we’re alright. We’ll go home straight,” Seunghyun said.

Dara nodded and stared at the others as if asking if they wanted to come in. but instead she noticed the arm clinging on Jiyong’s. Jiyong saw her and immediately shook off the girl’s arm on him.

He cleared his throat. “We’re going home, now.”

Dara smiled at them and bowed again. “Take care.”

But Seunghyun leaned to press his lips on her cheeks and whispered. “Today was too short. I’ll pick you up tomorrow.”

Dara blushed deeply.

Taeyang grunted. “Come on now!” he complained.

 

Lying on her back that night, she just stared at the ceiling unable to sleep. She recounted the day’s events and it brought a small curve on her lips.

However, she frowned as she remembered something.

How the hell did that happen? At first, he stopped me from transferring my seat. It actually made me blush thinking that he wanted me to just stay beside him. But why did he just stand up and leave his desk to be the one to transfer to the seat that was supposed to be mine at the first place? He wanted to be alone with that girl? And he doesn’t want anyone to see them having their moments? And how the hell is she very close to him that she’s able to cling on his arm already like some kind of a sweet couple who just can’t be separated from each other?

She rolled to her side and faced the wall. Then a smile was on her face again.

“Seunghyun’s back,” she said as if it just sunk into her.

 

The next day, Dara and Seunghyun had a date. They spent time with each other eating on a restaurant, playing at the carnival, shopping, and lots of things.

As expected, when Seunghyun and Dara went home, they still thought that it was too short of a time and they wanted to spend more time together tomorrow. sadly, Seunghyun is scheduled to have a recording for a full Korean album to be released on their country, while Dara is going to meet Bom at the school’s library for a tutorial for the advanced lessons to be taken, because, apparently, it was UNFAIR that her cousin is receiving a free tutorial while she, her best friend, is being left behind. Dara thought that it was good that Bom turned serious on her studies.

 

The next day at the school’s library…

“It’s almost Taeyang’s birthday, is your gift ready?” Dara asked.

“Yeah. And I’m nervous. Maybe he won’t like it,” Bom said, nervously.

“Don’t be nervous. Anything will do,” Dara said while picking a book from the shelf.

“Um, Dara, can I ask you something?” Bom said, feeling her arms strained from too much books Dara kept on stacking on her arms.

“Sure,” Dara said, scanning a page of the book.

“Do you like T.O.P.?” Bom asked.

Dara was taken aback she just stared at the page. “Well…”

“How about my cousin?”

Dara shifted her gaze towards Bom, hesitant to truly tell her feelings. “You know, Bom, Seunghyun has been my best friend even before I knew you. So, when he came back, the feelings I had was more of happiness just because we met again. But, for the few days I spend with him…” Dara said eyes on the ground. “…I don’t know. I don’t know what I’m feeling.”

Suddenly, they heard a bang sound just at the other side of the shelf behind them, as if book fell. Then, after that, running footsteps.

Dara and Bom stepped out from between the shelves and stared at the still-swinging door as if someone had just left. The librarian seemed angry, throwing an angry glare on the door.

“So, let’s start?” Dara offered.

 

The next day… Dara was fetched by Seunghyun and they walked to school together, hand-in-hand, as usual. Suddenly, she noticed a familiar black limo that just passed by them.

“Isn’t that…?” Dara started but cut herself off.

“What?” Seunghyun asked.

“Nothing…”

When they reached the school gate, a swarm of girls started to crowd Seunghyun causing their hands to be separated.

“Omo,” Dara gasped, when she was thrown to the ground.

Unable to help her, Seunghyun just shouted. “Dara! Go on. I’ll follow when I’m free,” he said as he was receiving certain things as fan-gifts and signed a few of the fans’ magazine with Seunghyun as the cover.

“But…”

However, Dara wasn’t able to hear him anymore so she went ahead. Arriving at their classroom, she saw Jiyong leaning his head on his crossed arms. She put a smile on her face and approached him. She leveled her eyes with his.

“Good morning, Jiyongie,” Dara greeted brightly.

But, instead of greeted her back, he turned his head to the other direction, so Dara could only see the back of his head. So, she went to the other side, but she didn’t bend her hips to level his eyes on him.

“Jiyong? Good morning,” she still said brightly.

Jiyong straightened up and looked her on the eyes. Dara smiled. But he just stood up to leave.

Dara reached out to touch is shoulder to make him turn to her. However, an unexpected response from Jiyong came.

He slapped her hand away.

Dara’s eyes showed fear. She didn’t know what to do. “Did I do something wrong?” she said in a small voice.

“Figure it out yourself!” Jiyong shouted, causing most of their classmates to stare at them.

Jiyong left without any more words to say.

 

A few days had passed and Jiyong still kept on ignoring Dara. Dara kept on trying to approach him but she can’t find the right time and right courage to. She just doesn’t know what she did that made him mad like that.

Taeyang’s birthday arrived and a party was organized at their residence. However, when Dara expected Jiyong to come and planned to make a conversation privately about whatever happened, Jiyong didn’t appear. She just enjoyed the night half-heartedly wishing Jiyong will appear any time. But, Bom made it clear that he won’t come because ‘he needs sleep’, clearly an alibi.

When it was time to go home…

“It was a nice party, Taeyang,” Dara said, hugging him. “Happy birthday.”

“Thanks,” Taeyang said with an eye smile.

“I’m sorry I haven’t bought you a gift. I didn’t know I was welcome,” Seunghyun said.

“You will be welcome from now on, bro,” Taeyang said giving a manly hug. “You know, you’re not such a bad guy. I’m sorry I see you that way when I first met you. But just so you know, I’m not giving up on Dara.”

“Sure,” Seunghyun answered. “Happy birthday, again.”

 

It was only Bom who was left as the last guest on Taeyang’s birthday.

Bom cleared .

“I think I should go home now,” Bom said.

“Will you be okay? I shall drive you home,” Taeyang offered about to turn and get the keys for his motorbike.

“No, my driver’s outside now,” Bom said.

“Oh, um, take care.”

“Thanks. Happy birthday, Taeyang,” she said, turning to the door, but she went back and ran towards him and kissed him on the cheek, then ran back outside towards the waiting car, leaving Taeyang speechlessly standing at the middle of the room.

 

Dara was woken up with the insistent ringing of her phone. Today is a Saturday and she wanted her sleep to be as long as possible. Besides, she was tired because of last night’s party.

“Hello?” she said in a hoarse voice.

“Annyeong, it’s me Chaerin. Meet us the Central Park and pack your things. We’ll be having a party at my resort, okay?”

“Huh? Wait…” Dara said on the now-beeping phone. “She didn’t give me a chance to respond.”

At the Park, everyone was waiting except for Bom and Jiyong.

“What’s happening?” Dara asked.

“It was all Seunghyun’s idea,” Chaerin said.

Dara stared at him.

“Come on, we need a relaxation, don’t we?” he said.

And then, Bom and Jiyong arrived with their bags. Dara was a bit surprised to see Jiyong. Maybe it’s her time already to plan a conversation with him privately.

When they arrived at the resort, they gasped in amazement.

“Is this really yours?” Bom said.

“It was my mom’s gift last year. It’s my first time to visit it,” Chaerin said.

They went to their respective rooms and unpacked their bags. Even the rooms are amazing. It was in a suite-style and it felt like home.

Later, they started to dip in the beach and enjoyed the warm water, except for Dara. She didn’t feel like to enjoy herself now. She glanced around to look for Jiyong but he wasn’t anywhere to be seen.

“Who are you looking for?” Seunghyun said, sitting beside her on the sand while still wet.

“Why did you stop swimming?” she asked.

“Because I saw you alone,” Seunghyun said. “Don’t you want to swim with us?”

Dara shook her head and stood up. “I’m going back to my room.”

 

The next day, they prepare to leave to go to the next island.

“Dara?” Seunghyun knocked on her door.

“Come in,” Dara called.

Seunghyun stepped in and saw her laying her head on the edge of her bed. “Are you alright? You have been like this since yesterday. Is there something you want to talk about?”

Dara shook her head.

“Is it about Jiyong?” Seunghyun said and made Dara straighten herself up. He grabbed her hand and led her to the balcony overseeing the sea. “He’s been like that since yesterday too – spacing out like he always does at school. Except, this isn’t school. I have a very good feeling that you two have issues.”

Dara stared at Jiyong’s figure sitting at a big rock just beside the sea, the wind blowing against his face.