Speechless

First Romance

 

 “Dara, Mister YG called,” Seunghyun told her the moment the last bell rang.

“What did he say?” Dara asked, suddenly feeling nervous and scared.

“Don’t get scared, Dara. He just invited us to a dinner.”

Dara smiled.

 

When they arrived at the restaurant, they immediately spotted their president. But he wasn’t alone. He was talking to a girl she was sure she saw before but couldn’t place it right.

“Oh, you’re here,” Mister YG said.

“Annyeong, Sajang-nim. Annyeong Gummy noona,” Seunghyun greeted.

“Gummy?” Dara gasped. “Omo, Annyeong,” she said, bowing so low, her head was about to bump on the edge of the table. “Nice meeting you.”

“No need to bow so low like that,” Gummy said, straightening Dara up.

“Nice to meet you,” Dara said, bowing again. “Your song is great!”

“Thanks to you and T.O.P., the music video garnered much attention. I heard you’re debuting in two to three years. Congratulations!”

“Kamsahamnida,” Dara said, bowing a little.

 

“It’s fall break!” Bom squealed.

“Yeah, but I have to practice,” Dara said, dropping her shoulder.

“You need help?” Jiyong offered.

“What practice?” Seunghyun interrupted.

“Oh, I entered track-and-field,” Dara said plainly.

“Really?” Seunghyun gasped. “You’re into sports now?”

“Well, I want to try something new.”

 

Sports Fest…

“Are you ready?” a voice said behind her. She straightened up from her stretching position and turned to Jiyong. She nodded.

“I know you’ll win,” he said, encouraging.

“I better be. I’m representing our class.”

“Don’t put too much pressure on yourself,” he said, patting her head. “Where’s Seunghyun?”

“He got another music video shooting,” she said, stretching out again. “Where’re the others?”

“Apparently, they have their respective games. Bom and Chaerin in swimming… and well, Taeyang is practicing.”

“And you’re here?!” Dara gasped and straightened up.

“Well, it’s not really a practice, you know. He was just…” he stammered. “Why am I even explaining? Anyway, I can’t just miss out your first ever sport.”

“Fine!” Dara said pouting.

The referee whistled.

“Omo, I have to go. Wish me luck!” Dara said, turning to leave. But Jiyong caught her wrist and made her turn.

“I know you’ll win,” he said, pressing his lips on her forehead. “Just don’t hurt yourself.”

Dara left with a flushed face.

The race started. Because of Dara’s hard work last week, she improved a lot in track-and-field and she was able to run faster than she can. She was surprised to see that she was leading the race, with the student from Taeyang’s section coming in on a close second. Dara just kept in mind what Jiyong told her just before she left for the race. Then she felt her heart beating wildly. She snapped out of her reverie when she heard his voice standing out among the students who were watching.

“Dara! You’re in second! Keep your head in the game!”

Dara noticed that too that’s why she tried to catch up from the current first-place who was Taeyang’s classmate. She leveled up her speed as she saw the thin yellow line that marks the finish line. She felt her sweat rolling down from her forehead. She started getting dizzy. But she never gave up. She leveled up her speed more until…

“Dara!” it was Jiyong’s voice. But her eyes were closed now. She felt the ground under her. She opened her eyes and saw Jiyong picking her up from the ground.

“Where are you bringing me? I still have a race to win,” Dara said weakly.

“You already won! You…!” he shouted.

“Why are you…?” Dara started to ask.

“Don’t talk anymore. I’ll bring you to the clinic.”

“Clinic? Why?” Dara wondered.

“Can’t you feel the pain?” Jiyong asked. Dara was confused. “I’ll bring you to Miss Min Hyo.”

“Min Hyo?” Dara asked, eyes flying open. “You mean the nurse was Miss Shin Min Hyo?”

“Yes,” Jiyong said, stopping from his tracks, wondering about the reason behind her reaction.

Dara struggled but she stopped when she finally felt the pain on her ankle.

“What’s wrong with you? Stop struggling! You’ll hurt yourself more!”

“Just…don’t bring me to her,” Dara said pain apparent from her voice.

Jiyong thought for a while. He changed direction and carefully put Dara on a bench. He sat on the ground. He lifted Dara’s foot carefully and rested it on his knee.

“Ow,” Dara said.

“I won’t hurt you!” he glared at her. “Don’t worry.”

“Why are you shouting at me since a while ago?” Dara asked pouting.

Jiyong glared at her. And she flinched. But his eyes softened. “I told you twice. Just don’t hurt yourself. And you disobeyed me.”

“I just wanted to win.”

“That’s not a reason to hurt yourself.”

“It’s not like I did it purposefully.”

Jiyong was silent while he was tending to her wounds. She didn’t see whatever happened to her ankle because she’s scared to see blood. So, she let Jiyong treat her wound.

When he was finished, he stood up and looked down on Dara.

Dara just looked up. “Are you mad? I’m sorry.”

“I should be the one who’s sorry. I was too worried. I’m sorry for shouting at you.”

Dara looked away and sighed.

 

For the whole afternoon, she was left at the same bench. Jiyong told her that he has to go the gym because the game’s about to start. He told her that he’ll send Chaerin or Bom to take her home.

It was almost an hour when someone came to her.

“Dara,” it was Taeyang.

“Taeyang, what are you doing here?” she asked. “Don’t you have a game?”

“I ditched it,” Taeyang answered.

“Why?”

“I heard from Jiyong. He told me to come here for you instead. Bom and Chaerin are nowhere to be found.”

“You’ll be scolded by your coach.”

“Don’t mind me. Come on, ride on my back.”

“No, I’ll wait for your game to finish. Go on and win.”

Taeyang was already on his crouch position in front of Dara.

“Let’s go home,” Taeyang said stubbornly.

“I can’t believe you can be so stubborn,” Dara said, wrapping her little arms around his neck.

While walking home…

“Where do you think is Bom?” Taeyang asked.

“I don’t know. Maybe she’s out with Ja-“

“Jaejoong?”

Dara pursed her lips. “Why? Are you jealous?”

“Me? Of course not.”

“I don’t believe you,” Dara teased.

“You won’t? Then, I’ll drop you.”

“Don’t!” Dara panicked.

Taeyang laughed.

 

While Dara was studying her notes, the students started to crowd the windows.

“Dara! What are you doing there just reading your notes? Come!” Chaerin called.

“Oh my gosh, Dara! You really have to see this!” Bom squealed.

“What is this, guys?” Dara said, going towards the window. What she saw surprised her so much she can’t stop blinking.

“Test mike, test mike,” it was Seunghyun. He was surrounded by students who seemed to have something behind their backs, while Seunghyun was holding the mike to his mouth. “Ladies and gentlemen, let me take this opportunity to confess my love to someone.”

The students who were watching from the windows of the whole school building squealed in excitement.

“It must be you, Dara,” Chaerin whispered on her ear.

“Dara, I can see you from here,” Seunghyun said through the microphone. “Let me tell the whole university what I have been feeling for you since we were still kids. And I’m confident to say that these feelings never once left my heart. You never once left my heart and mind even though I left you when we were still kids. I would also like to apologize for what I’ve done. But most of all, I want to express my love for you. Sandara Park, you are my one and only Ssantokki. Will you be my girl?”

As if on cue, the people surrounding him grabbed a board which was obviously what they were hiding behind them. They firmly held them on top of their heads and on them were written:

 

                I love you, Ssantokki Park.

 

“Dara! Wake up! You have been staring on Seunghyun for a long time now. What’s your answer?” Bom asked eagerly.

“I…” she started. She grabbed her phone and called Seunghyun.

When he answered…

“I need more time to think, Seunghyun,” she said, then hung up her phone.

 

It was the end of the day when Dara went to get her books from the locker. As she opened it, she saw a note.

 

                Meet me at the gym today after class. – Taeyang

 

Dara hesitantly went to the gym. When she entered, it was empty except for one person who was sitting on the floor with a ball on his hand.

“Are you alright, Taeyang?” Dara asked.

Taeyang stood up and inhaled deeply. “I’m supposed to confess my love to you today too. Just like what Seunghyun just did.”

Dara stared at the whole gym, expecting something surprising yet different. However, the gym was just in its normal state. She stared at him.

“But I changed my mind,” he said. “I know my feelings for you now, Dara. And it’s different from what I feel for Bom.”

Dara started to smile.

“You were right. I always find myself irritated and annoyed every time she shows interests to guys. I thought it was just because I’m used to teasing her. But lately I realized how I really feel for her. I’ve fallen in love with her, Dara. I’ve fallen in love with Bom.”

Dara’s smile widened. She took a step towards him and wrapped her arms around him.

“I’m so happy for you, Taeyang. If you need help, I will always be here for you.”

 

It was around seven when her phone rang…

“Dara? Are you busy?”

“Oh, Jiyong. I’m not. Why?”

“Could you go out for a while?” Jiyong asked.

Dara hurriedly ran downstairs.

“What’s going on?” Dara asked the moment she met Jiyong.

“Put this on,” Jiyong ordered, giving her a handkerchief.

Dara followed. After being blindfolded, Jiyong helped her get on the car. The car started and Dara’s heart raced. The travel didn’t take too long, because after three minutes, it came to a stop.

“Where are we, Jiyongie?” Dara asked. But Jiyong ignored her, secretly smiling to himself. He got out of the car and assisted her to get out too. He held her hand firmly.

“Be careful,” he reminded her.

Dara was clueless as to where they were now. It looked like Jiyong is on to his surprises, like what he did when he showed her his secret place. Now, she wondered what he’s up to.

“Are we there yet?” Dara asked.

“Nope,” Jiyong said, while leading her towards the school building. He brought her to the school even though it was nighttime already. The school is empty and dark. But Jiyong brought a flashlight.

“Stairs,” Dara said as she stepped on them. “I wonder where we are.”

Jiyong giggled.

Dara tripped.

“Are you alright?” Jiyong asked.

“Yeah, just tripped.”

“It’s my fault, sorry,” Jiyong apologized.

“It’s fine, I just-HEY! Why are you carrying me all of a sudden?”

“So you won’t trip,” Jiyong plainly said.

It seemed forever that Dara felt she was being carried. Suddenly, she felt Jiyong losing his balance. Afraid to fall, she held firmly around his neck. She started wondering if where they were is a building with too many stairs and that he’s planning to bring him to the top floor. Suddenly, she felt that Jiyong was already walking on a leveled floor.

Jiyong put her down on her feet.

“Am I allowed to take this blindfold off yet?” Dara asked.

“Just wait a second,” Jiyong said. He walked behind her and removed the blindfold. As if on cue, right before Dara’s eyes, lights were . She looked around and recognized that this was the school’s rooftop. She was amazed at how their ordinary rooftop was turned into a lights-decorated rooftop. To her right were a bunch of musicians with violins, cello, and the like. She looked at her left and saw Jiyong smiling sweetly at her.

“What’s the meaning of this?” Dara asked, unable to hide her smile.

Instead of answering though, Jiyong grabbed both of her hands and put them on both of his shoulders. He put his hands on her waists and they started swaying along with the music.

“You know, you are the only girl that makes me smile like I never did before,” he said, eyes not once leaving hers, “I never knew I could know you as a friend before. I used to just observe you from afar, thinking, ‘Ah! This kind of girl, she’s too difficult to approach,’ but then, I was wrong. It didn’t take me long to feel comfortable when I’m with you. Suddenly, I realized, I feel the happiest seeing your bright smile and your light laugh. The first time we played under the rain was one of the memories I would treasure. It was actually fun running around with you. That was also the time that I realized how important you are to me, how it pains me twice as much as it pains you, how I realized that I have to be beside you to protect you. However, it took me too long to realize what I really felt for you…” he paused.

Dara silently gasped.

“Dara, what I really wanted to tell you is…”

Jiyong lifted one of his hands from her waist and snapped his fingers. From behind him were the lighted words:

               

                Sandara Park, I love you so much!

 

Dara gasped for real this time. She covered with both of her hands and smiled underneath them. She read the words over and over. She could not believe it at first, how everything that just happened felt like a dream. She wanted to cry but she wanted to smile despite it all. She wanted to shout but she wanted to silently laugh at the same time.

Jiyong blocked her view. “Dara…” he said.

Dara stared at her. She feels like crying. It wasn’t one-sided love after all. Maybe at first. But right now, she just feels happy, she doesn’t know what to think and say. She just stared at the two most beautiful eyes she ever saw.

Jiyong stepped closer to her and cupped her face. He tilted his head a little.

Dara stared at his lips. They began parting. Her heart raced but as if her lips have their minds of their own, they started parting too.

Their lips were only an inch away from each other now when a memory flashed in Dara’s mind. Remembering it, she leaned away from him.

“I’m…sorry,” she stammered.

Jiyong creased his forehead. “What’s wrong?” he said, trying to reach out to her. “Is it Seunghyun?”

Dara stared at him and shook her head. “Chaerin…”

“What’s with Chaerin?”

“She likes you.”

“But I don’t. What’s the problem with that?”

Dara shook her head again. “No. I…can’t. I just can’t.”

“Dara,” he said, about to touch her arm to pull her closer to him, but Dara leaned away.

“I’m sorry. I have to go home,” Dara said, running away.

 

It was the best night of her life. And ironically, she was the one who spoilt it. Although she wanted to take her words back, she just can’t. Her guilt haunts her mind. She doesn’t want her friendship with Chaerin to be destroyed. She already loved her like her best friend. And she can’t forget the time that Chaerin trusted her to help her with Jiyong. But now, she felt she’s betraying her friend. She didn’t mean to. But as early as now, she promised herself to avoid betraying her.

 

“What is the meaning of this?” Mister YG asked Dara the next day.

“Nothing. They’re my friends,” Dara said.

“Why are you riding behind him then?”

“He was helping me that time, Sajang-nim. That time, I had a wound on my ankle and I couldn’t walk. That’s why he volunteered on helping me.”

“How about this picture then? How can you explain that?”

“That was right after I fell from the race and wounded my ankle. He’s another friend who helped me treat them.”

“Okay. I will let it go this time. Remember that I did it twice already. I told you to protect your image but even though that you haven’t debuted yet, you are destroying it.”

“But they’re just my friends. They couldn’t stop me from being friends with them. And don’t you think it’s still wrong to make false rumors about a person?”

“I agree with you that’s why I paid the person who took this so he will not be able to write news about this. However, we cannot assure that he doesn’t have other copies or that there were others who saw you. For the meantime, just avoid getting these kinds of rumors.”

Dara bowed and left.

 

“I’m leaving, Auntie!” Dara called back while she was still on the door. “Oh, Taeyang, good morning!”

“Good morning,” Taeyang said.

“Come, let’s walk to school together,” Dara offered. “You look tired.”

“I couldn’t sleep last night.”

“Is something bothering you? Do you want to talk about it?” Dara asked, concerned.

“It’s about Bom…and Jaejoong. I saw them yesterday while I was driving. They were walking… while holding hands.”

Dara gasped. “They were?”

Taeyang nodded, looking disappointed.

“Maybe I should just give up my feelings for her,” he said.

“That’s quitter’s talk! Stop saying nonsense. You haven’t even confessed to her.”

Later, when Dara arrived at their room…

“Good morning, Chae…rin,” Dara said. But Chaerin ignored her. She turned to Bom. “What’s wrong with her?”

Bom shrugged. “She doesn’t seem to ignore me.”

 

Break time…

“Hi, Dara.”

“Oh, Sohee,” Dara greeted back hesitantly.

“Are you and Jiyong going out?”

“Eh? No, um…”

“Don’t worry. It’s fine with me, actually. I got over him months ago. I knew he had feelings for you before. Good luck with your love life,” Sohee said about to leave.

“Um… Sohee… we-“

“Oh yeah, I knew he liked you since last year, even though he was my boyfriend that time. Anyway, bye!”

Dara was left speechless.

 

“Chaerin? You wanted to talk with me?” Dara said, the moment she arrived at the rooftop.

Chaerin turned to her, a smile glued on her face. “Tell me, do you like Jiyong?”

“What?” Dara asked.

“Don’t worry. I won’t hurt you. Just answer my question truthfully,” Chaerin said, taking a step closer to her.

Dara lowered her eyes. “Yes.”