The outing

Trust and happiness

“Did you get my note?” A soft voice called, waking him up from his short nap. Sungyeol opened his eyes, instantly seeing someone’s torso. He sat up from the stacked books he had made as a pillow and yawned, glancing at the male who waited patiently for his answer.

“Oh hey, Myungsoo.”

“Did you get my note?”

“What note?”

“The one I told Sungjong to give to you.”

Yes I have. He thought. “No. I don’t recall receiving one.” He lied.

Myungsoo nodded and quickly teared a piece of paper from his book, scribbling down something Sungyeol had assumed to be what was written yesterday.

When the latter had finished, he handed it nervously to Sungyeol who glanced at it with disinterest.

“I don’t want it.”

“What?”

“I don’t want it. Whatever it is.”

“B-But-”

“Whatever you want to say you can say right here. Out loud.” He cut off.

“I-I…” Myungsoo took a shaky breath as the other stoic male burnt holes through his skin with his gaze.

“Take your time. I’m late for class.” Sungyeol said, standing up and getting ready to leave. He discreetly quickened his pace, not understanding why he didn’t simply accept the latter’s request. Maybe it’s the first time you feel like you’re special in someone’s eyes. Maybe.

~

It had been almost a month, and Sungyeol felt less isolated from the rest of the world. He had short conversations with his friend, as well as simple "Hi's" and "Byes" to Myungsoo and Sungjong.

Despite only speaking one word to them each day, Sungyeol had grown a slight attachment to Myungsoo. He seemed mysterious, yet friendly, and his eyes captivated him so much. All in all, in the eyes of a normal person, Myungsoo would’ve been deemed handsome and charming. Sungyeol, however, had high pride and refused to accept that fact. He continued to reason that it was merely because he had feel special because of the confession he had received almost 3 months ago.

“Wow, it’s the third day you’re sitting with us today, Sungyeol! It’s amazing. This is like a new record! I feel so honoured having you in my presence.” Dongwoo blabbered on. He was genuinely excited to be able to spend time with Sungyeol. The man with no emotions. Some would say. Yet here he was, contributing with their conversations and letting out small smiles here and there.

“We should go out today.” Dongwoo suddenly suggested. Silence filled the table as bother friends stared shocked at the sudden proposition. 

“Dongwoo.” Hoya whispered warningly. He knew how much the silent man hated going out. How much he hated ruining his daily schedules just because of last minute plans.

“Sure.” Sungyeol replied, surprising the couple.

“Uhh, Sungyeol? Are you okay?”

He shrugged. Was he okay? Probably not.

Dongwoo let out another cheerful smile. “Can we go invite Myungsoo and Sungjong too?”

“You know them?” Hoya asked, curiously.

“Of course! They were my best friends. Can we please?” He pleaded. Hoya gave a short glance at the disinterested boy who sat across from them and nodded, “Sure.”

~

The end of school came quickly, and soon enough, the 5 males gathered at the front of the school, ready to leave.

Dongwoo was excited. He had rarely gone out on an outing with friends, and this was his one chance to spend time with Sungyeol.

Hoya was nervous. He knew that Sungyeol’s temper could rise so quick to the point where he could murder someone.

Sungjong felt calm. He knew that usually his heart would be beating so rapidly, especially around the cold boy, but for some odd reason, he felt very calm.

Myungsoo, on the other hand, was petrified. He didn’t want to ruin any chances of Sungyeol liking him. Which meant that he wasn’t allowed to make a fool out of himself, nor was he allowed to experience one of his rare episodes.

Sungyeol, in contrast to the 4 other males, did not care about this. He agreed to go out, simply out of pure politeness. He craved to go home and sleep, but it was too late to back out now. He noticed Myungsoo and Sungjong bickering over something quietly. Although he felt curious to know what it was, he decided to brush it off and look forward, waiting for Dongwoo to stop talking.

“U-Uhm. Sungyeol?”

“Hm?” He replied vacantly.

“Um, do you mind if I stay with you for the, uh, outing?”

Sungyeol blinked back to reality and turned his head to an embarrassed Myungsoo. “Sorry, what was that?”

“Um, I was just wondering if I could stay with you during this thingy.”

“What about Sungjong?”

“W-We had a little fight. He’s not that happy with me at the moment.” Sungyeol sensed lies but he shrugged it off and nodded.

“Sure, that’s no problem.”

~

Myungsoo’s heart was racing. He had promised himself many times to forget about the male walking with him, but every sign he saw seemed to tell him not to give up. The silence was awkward for him. He wanted to talk freely like the way he did to Sungjong, but he knew that he had to watch his words when around Sungyeol. After all, he wouldn’t want to make a fool out of himself.

“What are you doing?” Myungsoo looked up, staring at the latter who was weirdly observing him.

“Huh?”

“What are you doing with your fingers?”

“U-Uhm…” Myungsoo tried to think of an excuse that didn’t make him sound like a loser, but he couldn’t “I’m nervous.” He admitted shyly.

Sungyeol simply raised one eyebrow and nodded, before walking away. “Just treat me like a close friend.” He said finally.

Little did they know, as they were walking slightly quicker than the others, their friends had already devised a plan to leave to soon-to-be couple alone.

~

“Aish, where did they go?” Sungyeol mumbled annoyed, calling Hoya for the nth time to no reply.

“We probably walked too fast.” Myungsoo thought out loud.

“We didn’t even walk that fast.”

“Well, we should go home then.”

“Why?”

“I-I thought you only agreed for your friend?”

“But we’re here already. We might as well do something.”

Myungsoo gulped and nodded, “Okay.” Loosen up, Myungsoo. He thought, taking a deep breath. “Let’s go get ice-cream!”

Sungyeol nodded, following the shorter male who had already excitedly walked to the parlour.

“Huh? There’s coffee flavour?! Since when?” Myungsoo spoke happily. A gleam of happiness and excitement appeared in his eyes before he broke out into a smile, “What do you want, Yeol?”

Sungyeol hated nicknames, but for some reason, it did not stop him from saying, ‘Call me that from now on.”

Flashback

“Let’s go buy ice-cream, Daeyeol!”

“I don’t want to.” The other said.

“Why not?” He asked, smiling to show optimism. He looked at the flavours on the menu and his eyes instantly brightened, ‘Ooo, there’s coffee flavoured! Since when was there coffee flavour?”

“Because, I don’t want that.”

“But, I’ll pay for yo-”

“I said I don’t want it!” He shouted, making the taller brother jump. “Grow up, Hyung. Act your age, for once.” He scolded, leaving Sungyeol dazed in shock.

End

“Yeol?”

“U-Uh, I’ll have the same as you.” He replied. Myungsoo nodded and ordered instantly.

Sungyeol stared at the other who happily ate his ice-cream, unaware that his own was melted.

“Uhm, Yeol?” He came back to reality and blinked at the other.

“Huh?”

“Your ice-cream’s melting.” He replied, grabbing tissue to wipe it off.

“I can do it myself.”

“No, I’m done.”

Sungyeol ate the remains of the ice-cream, feeling guilty that he had wasted someone’s money, and continued to follow the other excited male.

“Hyung! I mean, Yeol! U-Uhm, let’s go to the aquarium!”

“The aquarium?” Sungyeol furrowed his brows.

“Yeah! We can go look at the fish.” Myungsoo laughed. He didn’t know why his mood was changing so quickly, but if he was able to do the things that he loved with the person he loved, then Myungsoo felt that he was content with life.

~

After an hour of ogling at the fish, Myungsoo realised the boredom apparent in Sungyeol’s face and sighed, shaking his head.

“Let’s go.” He said quietly.

“Huh?”

“I know you’re bored.”

Sungyeol shrugged and followed the shorter male out. In all honesty, he wasn’t bored. Though his face showed this, he was feeling the opposite. Seeing the other seem so happy and carefree made him jealous and somewhat… warm.

Flashback

“Let’s go to the aquarium!”

“Sungyeol, go to your room.”

“I just wanted to spend time with you guys. We never go out as a family.”

“Lee Sungyeol.” His dad said firmly, “Go to your room.”

Sungyeol’s shoulders drooped and nodded obediently. He saw his brother walking down the stairs, snickering at his loss, but he did not get mad.

“I’s okay.” He muttered to himself, “I can go by myself.”

Within moments later, he heard a loud bang and a scream followed by sobs. Sungyeol sighed. This had happened on a daily basis. Whenever his whole family was at home, strange noises would be heard from downstairs. Sungyeol knew his place. He had to stay in his room until the noises died down, and was never to question about them.

End

Sungyeol blinked, he had been experiencing too many of these flashbacks. It was never common for him to remember anything from the past, as he had buried them down deeply when they had occurred. Nonetheless, he was confused as to why they were all suddenly coming back to him.

What was happening to him?

 


Hello!! Sorry this chapter wasn't much, but I'm trying to make the plot more interesting. As a writer and reader, I don't really like slow plots, so I want there to be action soon (uhh, that sounds a bit... suggestive xD), so I'm kind of hoping that I can finish this within around 10 chapters :) Making it short and sweet hahaha

Anyways, thank you for the comments, I sure do hope that you guys leave some more :) Please also subscribe and upvote if you'd like ^^ Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it. Stay safe and healthy! Till next time ^-^