Prologue

The Stories of a Fat Girl [HIATUS]

Author's Note

This is just a snippet of everyday life and everyday thoughts. However, this chapter is also crucial because there will be things that link from her to the plot of the story.


For a while, I was happy. We were all equals, equal in beauty, in academic intelligence and equal in popularity. We were ordinary and we were happy. I was happy. It was in the second year we had all known each other that things had begun to change. We were all different, no longer equals. My dear friends had changed and I remained the same. No, I changed too. I gained 14kg over the past year. I had become overweight while my other friends thrived and were happy. One friend, lost a whopping 10 kilos and made himself look like a model, the other won the scholarship that my family had so desperately needed. Another friend got a boyfriend she was really happy with and the last the most dearest friend stayed close to me while getting even more popular.

 

You know that movie 'the DUFF'? Duff means the Designated Ugly Fat Friend. So the person doesn't need to be ugly or fat but the DUFF is the person who is least hottest in the group and for a while, I felt as if I was my own group's DUFF in all matters- not just beauty. Suddenly I was an average student- not the high achiever I once was, I was overweight, I wasn't very sociable. But of all things that weighed me down the most was my weight.

 

"Sunhee! I lost 3kg over the holiday! Yes!" Kim Jongin celebrated and danced gleefully around me. I faked a smile and gave him two thumbs up.

"That's great Jongin! But you already look nice, I don't want you becoming a skeleton." I pouted. Jongin chuckled and finally sat next to me.

"Don't worry, I'll just get abs instead. Want to hear my weight loss plan?" He asked eagerly. One of my many faults was that I couldn't say no. It was impossible for me to say now without sounding y. It was worse that I had a resting face.

"Okay, sure." I laughed awkwardly as I put a hand over my stomach. I felt the stretch marks that were very much there and very visible. I had them everywhere. I had stretch marks at the back of my knee which weren't too visible, likewise the stretchmarks near my arm. The worst were the ones around my waist that reached down to my thighs. But there was one place that I wasn't too fussed about having stretch marks.

 

"Ugh Sunhee! How the hell did you get such big s? We're still so young! They're going to be as big as the world soon." Jinri said sadly and placed her hands over her A Cup s then looked at mine with envy. Yes, I was proud of my D Cup s but I was also ashamed. Sometimes I looked fatter than usual with them. Sometimes my cleavage would just pop out and people would be staring. Plus it was hard to run, especially after my surgery.

 

No, I did not get a surgery to make the bigger and no, I did not get reduction. Last Christmas I found a lump in my left . And God, it hurt like hell sometimes. It was not cancerous, though if I'm not careful then it might come again and come back as a tumour. It scared me so much. Now I'm stuck with an ugly scar.

"It's just in my genes Jinri. It can't be helped." I giggled. Jinri gave me a sour look then laughed.

"Babe, yours are just fine. I love them." Taemin, Jinri's boyfriend, consoled. Three pairs of eyes widened and looked at Taemin with shock.

"OH MY GOD!"

"HOLY !"

"TAEMIN!" We all shouted at once. I clapped my hands over my mouth and giggled even harder. Jongin and I squealed with each other and gripped each other's hands. Finally noticing what he had said, Taemin's eyes widened and his jaw dropped to the floor.

"No! I didn't mean it like that! , erase that from your minds! Erase it!" He said in a panicky tone. His hands started to shake and Jinri just glared at Taemin.

"We didn't do it! We're too young!" Jinri defended herself, whining that Jongin and I were still laughing. In that moment, my two last best friends walked in and sat with us at our usual table.

 

"What's up es?" Sehun said coolly and unpacked his meal. Ah Sehun, the little . He had always stuck with me. We met last year and were great buddies ever since. The first time we met, he came late to school and was then stuck with sitting next to me.

"Hey guys." Suho said sweetly. Unsurprisingly, it was Suho who was the first friend I had made in this school. He was a quiet one, not really socialising and he was very smart. So smart that he got the scholarship that I so desperately needed. He was rich or was well off so it wasn't like he needed it. I was sour about it for a while, I probably still am. But good for you, Suho. Sometimes he is just too much of a goody-two shoes that it irks me.

 

"Oh Sunhee, I have something for you." Sehun said and pulled out a container.

"Fried chicken."

A grin grew on my face and I squeezed Sehun in a tight hug. I absolutely loved chicken. If I had to choose between 1 million dollars and a bucket of chicken, I'd choose the chicken.

"You know I love you right?" I grinned, taking the container and biting into that oh so savoury, so delicious and awesome piece of goodness. How can someone say no to chicken? I totally understand Onew from SHINee now.

 

"Hey ladies, hey gents." A familiar deep voice called out. The five of us groaned while Taemin looked at us weirdly. We could recognise his voice anywhere. His deep booming voice was like a plague- it was everywhere. You could hear him from miles away. Mr Park Chanyeol, the owner of the loud booming voice was the head teacher of the year level. He was supportive at times but he was more annoying than not and our group just wanted to stay away from him, unlike many girls. Mr Park was young and considered good-looking so girls tend to like him.

 

"Sunhee, Jinri, gents." Mr Park nodded at us in acknowledgement and stopped to talk to us. Oh Sehun found Mr Park extremely annoying and wanted nothing to do with him and Mr Park knew that very well. Oh Sehun gave an awkward smile and looked down at his hands to roll his eyes.

"Hey sir." I greeted politely, elbowing Sehun. Sehun gave me a weird look and I gave him one in reply, telling him telepathically not to be rude.

"How was everyone's weekends?" Mr Park asked, smiling as usual. Mr Park was a very cheery person, he had to be as the head of the year level. But when he was angry or upset, he was really passive aggressive. What was also annoying is that he wouldn't think of what he's saying. He'd think he's being funny when in fact he was quite offensive. Not to mention, he is very unorganised. He lost my science book once so my work couldn't be graded, he used to teach me Science but now he only teaches Health and Physical Education. you Mr Park.

As a response to his question, we all hummed and went back to eating, sort of ignoring his presence. Mr Park nodded awkwardly.

"Mr Park!" One of the popular girls screeched, calling for his attention. Every day you would hear at least three people calling out his name which is probably why he's everywhere. Poor him. Kind of. Okay, not really- I'm not that sympathetic towards him.

 

 

"Hey Sunhee do you want to go to KFC after school?" Sehun asked. I nodded eagerly and Sehun asked Jongin the same thing. Jongin put down the juice he had been drink and shook his head.

"Nah man, I'm trying to lose weight remember? Eating KFC would totally make me gain. It's so fatty." Jongin states as if it was the most obvious thing. Oh that's right. KFC food is unhealthy. But it's so delicious. I felt the fat on my big arms and moved my hands towards my thighs. Sitting down, they were the size of Russia. Perhaps I can eat KFC another day.

"Actually Sehun, I don't want to go today." I told him, not meeting his eyes. Everyone's actions ceased and looked at me in awe.

"Is Sunhee actually rejecting chicken?" Suho gawped. I hit his arm softly and glared. Meanie. Do I really look like I'm that obsessed? Am I really such a fatty? I clutched onto my blazer and pulled it over my stomach and observed my friends' bodies.

 

Jongin had lost a bit of weight and is looking better than ever. Suho was born with a naturally awesome body and I do not know how the hell he keeps it that way because he eats so much! Jinri obviously so super pretty because she attracted such a cute boyfriend. Though, Taemin is too cute. Sehun had also lost quite a bit since last year because of his athleticism and sports skills. Puberty was hitting everyone hard and I was just there waving awkwardly, saying goodbye to these people's awkward pre-teen selves while waiting for my own dramatic change.

 

I was short, chubby and I just absolutely hated my legs. Oh my legs. They're disgusting. I was 155cm and 64kg, which people have told me is not too overweight for my height but it is overweight nonetheless. It made me look awkward and I had the most weirdest body parts ever. My ankles look weird, I have man hands and big wrists, my shoulders are big and my hips are big and yet my head is small. What pisses me off is that my sister's proportions are just fine. Sure, she's a bit big too but at least she's proportionate- she inherited all the good genes in the family! My brother was the cutest thing ever too! Parents, why did you give me the awkward things?

 

It was official. I was undoubtedly the designated ugly, fat friend.


Ending Author's Note

I read Chanyeol's lyrics from the song he performed in Unpretty Rapstar. Now I only read a section of it but I have to admit, I was quite disappointed in Chanyeol. He sounds so arrogant and cocky- someone that I really wouldn't like to meet. He just sounded so arrogant, it wasn't even confidence- it was arrogance! Is he rebelling against SM or is the fame just getting to his head? Please correct me if I'm wrong and defend Chanyeol because I don't want to believe that he performed that.