chapter 5

Set Me Free

 

 

 

“Sica, are you there?” A knock. Twice. A twist of the door knob and a petite girl poked her head out from the door.

 

 

“Sica…?” Taeyeon pushed the door slowly before closing it back with a soft click. She scanned the whole room filled with boxes containing what it seemed to be most of Jessica’s possessions. And then walked to the room owner’s bed and saw a figure lying on it, facing the walls. The blonde sat on the edge of the bed next to Jessica’s head. She softly the sleeping girl’s hair before placing a chaste kiss on her forehead, triggering the Ice Princess to wake up.

 

 

“H-hey, how are you feeling?” The leader’s insides were a nervous wreck, afraid she was going to get caught.

 

 

Jessica stretched herself and rubbed her still closed eyes before lazily opening one of her eyelids. Both of her hazel eyes widened almost immediately when she saw who was beside her.

 

 

“Tae-Taeyeon? What are you doing here??”

 

 

 

Her question was met with a sheepish grin from the leader. “I…I-uhh, was checking on the members. Fany, umm no, Hyo just cooked us some dinner.”

 

 

 

Jessica suddenly remembered her previous conversation with Lee Soo Man and her mood returned somber.

 

 

 

“Yeah so? Did you need to wake me up from my sleep?”

 

 

 

Taeyeon flinched at how the brunette’s voice mustered a cold tone to it. Her eyes flashed some hurt but she regained composure and faked a small smile.

 

 

“I’m sorry, I just..I wanted to eat together with you,-I mean, with all of us. So….I’m really sorry… Come out when you’re hungry, yeah?”

 

 

 

“Okay.” Jessica’s simple reply and cold reply hurt her more than it should.

 

 

‘It’s okay Taeyeon, you just went to her at the wrong time. There’ll be other chances, don’t worry.’

 

 

Jessica blew a heavy sigh once Taeyeon was out of sight. She cupped her face and took a deep breath. ‘If I am ever going to leave, I’ll have to make this easier. For me, and everyone else. I’m sorry Taeyeon-ah.’

 

 

The rest of the members saw the dejected look on their leader’s face. They were positive that Taeyeon was the one looking so happy and volunteered to call the Ice Princess despite knowing her sleeping habits.

 

 

 

“Unnie, did Sica unnie got mad at you?” the maknae asked. The leader gave a small nod and placed herself next to Tiffany.

 

 

“Awhh it’s okay Taeng, all of us has been there before, you’re the only one missing her wrath all these while.” Yuri’s sudden statement made everyone at the table laugh, completely changing the atmosphere around. Taeyeon also smiled a little, knowing how a deep sleeper her crush is and decided to brush off her previous words.

 

 

A sound of chair being pulled against the floor made everyone stopped eating and looked up from their plates. Jessica plopped herself down beside Yuri and missed the disappointed glance from the leader.

 

 

‘It’s empty next to me too…Sigh.’

 

 

 With full of freshly baked pancakes, Sooyoung spoke up.

 

 

“Yah Shica whut did yu deu to our leder huh?” but was smacked in the head by Hyoyeon.

 

 

“Yah what was that for?!?!”

 

 

“Don’t talk with your mouth full you pig!” After getting a glare from the dancer, Sooyoung just decided to munch her food away.

 

 

“Sica, what did you do to our leader huh? She seemed scared out of her wits after walking out of your room, hahah” Yuri turned her head a bit to the right and gave a small smirk.

 

 

 

“What else am I supposed to do when someone just barged into my room and interrupting my sleep?” A glare the members were immune to was thrown to Yuri.

 

 

 

“Lol but we have always done that, Sica-yah. You do know you’re very hard to be woken up right?” Hyoyeon wiggled her eyebrows playfully.

 

 

 

“Yes but I don’t like it when someone I’m not close with gets into my comfort zone.” With that, all the girls stopped the movements of their cutleries, glancing amongst each other and worriedly look upon Jessica and Taeyeon. Taeyeon had her head down, facing her plate and poking her pancake repeatedly. Tiffany then used her leg to kick Jessica’s under the table.

 

 

“Ouch! What was that for?!” Tiffany made eye contact with the Ice Princess, using her eyes to convey a message, asking why was she being so cold to the eldest among them. Jessica looked up to her other American friend’s eyes and just rolled her eyes while shrugging her shoulder and continued to dig in.

 

 

“I…I’m sorry Sica…”

 

 

All eyes were on the leader who spoke with her head still bowing down. Jessica remained undeterred and replied, “ Is that a way to apologise? How rude of you to do that. Huh, you’ve never even changed anyway.” And got up to leave to her room.

 

 

 

“Taeyeon, are you okay?” the eye-smiling girl asked, concerned of her friend’s sudden behavior.

 

 

 

“Y-yeah, I’m just going up to my room to freshen up before our schedule.”

 

 

 

“Tae-“

 

 “Taeng-“ 

 

 

The member’s calls were ignored as the petite blonde made her way to her room with tears trickling down her face.

 

 

 

‘I must be that evil for her to act this way to me. I deserve it anyway.’ She walked past Jessica’s room in hopes of apologizing more sincerely to the girl but instead was surprised by the girl’s voice, wondering who she was conversing with. She peeked through the small gap between the door and wanted to close the door but something caught her ears.

 

 

 

“Yes, Soojung-ah, I’m moving out of the dorm next week.”

 

 

‘Out of the dorm? But why? Is it because of me?’

 

 

“Yeah, I’m not sure about that, Soo Man Sajangnim said that it has to be postponed. I’ve an important position in the group, you know? Haha you little brat.”

 

 

‘Postponed? What is she talking about?’

 

 

“Alright, talk to you later, Soojung. I’ve got lots of things to pack now. Yup, see you soon, bye. Love you too.”

 

 

Taeyeon pushed the door open, making the elder Jung startled.

 

 

“Yah have you no manners?!” Taeyeon didn’t care about her shouting and approached Jessica closer. “Sica, what do you mean about moving out? Is it because of me? If it is, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you up from your sleep. Please-“ the leader was desperate and kept decreasing the distance between them, before trying to grab Jessica’s hands to beg for forgiveness with more tears dropping from her face. Jessica was freaked out by her sudden aggressiveness and walked backwards to further their distance.

 

“What are you doing Taeyeon?!”

 

 

“I just want to apologise, Sica…”

 

 

“You think I’m mad because you woke me up? You think that was it?” The shorter blonde tried to open to speak but nothing came out.

 

 

“Say, Kim, have you ever felt what I went through for three freaking years because of you? no! You were too busy with the other members, neglecting me! I don’t need you to cater to my needs 24/7, I just need you to acknowledge my existence! And now, what? You’re trying to become a hypocrite and start to actually CARE about me? *scoffs* I bet it was Tiffany who asked you to approach me, or else, how could you have done it, hm?”  The brunette’s words hit her hard and she wasn’t able to look her up in the eyes. She regretted what she had done and wanted to explain but she was too busy blaming herself to even do so.

 

 

Rushing footsteps were heard and soon, all of them gathered in her room, witnessing the drama.

“Oh great, now you’re all here. Good, take her side, she has always been the superior one, isn’t she?”

 

 

Sooyoung spoke out carefully, “What are you talking about, Sica-yah? Let’s talk this calmly, shall we?”

 

 

 

“For what? So that I could get all the blame? No, thank you.”

 

Tiffany pinched her nosebridge and spread her arms, signaling this to a stop.

 

 

 

“Guys, guys. Please bring Taengoo to her room. I need a moment with Jessi.” All of them nodded as if giving Tiffany the authority to handle the matter.

 

 

 

“*sighs* Jessi, what’s up?” The other girl crossed her arms and merely raised her eyebrows.

 

 

“What were you guys talking about?” Her question was met with a shrug.

 

 

“Jung Sooyeon, I’ve known you for years now and I know better to not beat around the bush. What matters do you have with Soo Man Sajangnim?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hey guys, finished my foundation! Aannd, the story is coming to an end!