A Promise

THE LOST TIME: KEY TO HAPPINESS

To the great Exopink gang,

That's still the lamest group name imo. oops. Oh well, I have ten years to live before Chorong noona beats me up.
Anyway, thank you guys for making the last months of my high school life a great experience.

I'd get new friends, had so much fun, got beaten up, forgave people, have my heart broken, and dream again. 

We'll make more memories right?

 

Happy always (hoping to be),
Troll King


 


 

December 2023

 

A splash of water and shocked expressions from people around, this is not how Jongdae thought this thing would end.

Okay maybe he did expect something like this, but not too much.

"You ill mannered bastard, I just waste my time on you argh" the lady, about in her 40's madly said and put down the now empty glass of water on the table and stomped away from the restaurant.

Jongdae could only sigh as he brought a hand up his face to wipe the water now dripping down his face. He could only glance at people and gave a shrug of the shoulders as they gave him different looks. Pity, mock--whatever, Jongdae doesn't care anymore. As this is normal.

It became normal for him.

He looked at the paper at the table and take it, trying to wipe the creases and drops of water away. Maybe he shouldn't have talk about his business with her. Maybe he shouldn't just go to this date. And maybe, he's really considering it now, he should stop going on dates with older women and five minutes into meeting her offer her an insurance plan.

Of all things, Jongdae is one unlucky and stupid lad.

What kind of man in the world, at a freaking first meeting, talks about the lady's death, her funeral covered, she could get a pretty coffin, and she could even be buried next to some famous' people-- dead, of course, but still famous back then-- with some negotiations? Kim Jongdae. Only Kim Jongdae.

With another sigh, Jongdae walks out the place.

It's not like he still have something to do in there, he doesn't want to be stared at by the judging looks of people. It's not his fault if he's stuck at that kind of work. And it's definitely not his fault going on dates with older women, no, not his fault but his friend's fault.

Why was he always set up with an older lady?

And it's not like it was his idea going on to those dates, he just once complained about being single and his friend, and his mother -- oh dear his mother who if possible will try to get him married to a random girl walking by their yard-- push him to this already. He just complained ONCE. 


Jongdae pushed the door to the music store at the end of the street, entering lifelessly. It's just past nine in the morning and already felt so worked out, and it didn't help when he saw his friend smirking at him.

"Seems like you get a new record hyung, less than thirty minutes and you're back" the blonde behind the counter said, as if he was so amused by Jongdae's 'new record'. "What did you do this time?" the guy even lean closer, wanting to hear how his friend's date went.

"Shut up Yoong" Jongdae could just hang his coat in the rack with utter annoyance due to the younger. He threw his bag at the top of the counter and pulled a high chair to sit in. "I swear this would be the last time"

"Huh? But I already scheduled your date for next week, your mom knows her, and she's a bit younger. You'll like her"

"You said that to every ahjumma that you set me up with" Jongdae retorted "I swear this is the last. I accept the fact that I'll grew old alone, please tell that to my mom" Jongdae stood up and headed to the piano at the corner and strike the keys 

"Tsk tsk, don't play with that. You'll pay for the damage" the younger boy said making Jongdae scoffed and rolled his eyes while mimicking the younger. 
 
"Good Morning ma'am" he heard his friend greeted a customer as he sets his fingers back on the keys, thinking of what piece to play this time.
It has been a habit of him. Whenever he is frustrated or having a bad day ( which quiet frankly is everyday), he would come to Yoongi's music store and would play the piano there.
 
He never stopped playing the piano. But, it's just sad and regretful that he didn't pursue music as his degree in college. Maybe if his job is in the field of music he would at least be happy even though he has been single for all his life-- or maybe if he's a musician he won't be a lonesome guy who's go on date with older ladies now. Maybe everything would be different.

But he couldn't do anything now really.

"You know what hyung, just play properly, maybe you could attract customers" his friend told him

"Excuse me" Jongdae heard a faint call from a girl, maybe the customer

"That piece you played before? Try that again, excuse for a while" Yoong said before getting to the customer asking for assistance "Yes, ma'am"

"I'm for something, can you help me?"

Jongdae stared at the keys for a while and as he started playing, not only the music memories also started to fill. It was what he played before graduating high school. Well, he succeeded in being able to play the piano again and he even had a stage in his last school fair, but he never really had the chance to have the piano collaboration with Namjoo. Well at least they had a duet at their camping, and for Jongdae that was a memory he would always treasure.

Hearing the soothing sound of the piano playing a somewhat familiar piece, the customer excused herself to watch Jongdae play.

"C-Chen oppa?" 

A sudden stop. 

Jongdae felt that the surrounding froze. The way that girl called him oppa. 

He slowly turned his head to the side and saw Namjoo, with same smile that made his heart skip a beat about ten years ago.

"N...Namjoo?"

"Oppa! It's you" the girl exclaimed and run to his side "Oh it's nice to see you again, it's been years!" Namjoo said excitedly

"Ah, yeah" Jongdae said, finally waking up from his daze that is Kim Namjoo. "You grew more beautiful, ah I mean, yeah it.. it's been a while" he mentally cussed himself for being stupid

"Thanks oppa, anyway are you working here? That's nice"

"I'm not, the owner's my friend" He gestured at the blonde boy who's back at the counter, watching them curiously " What're you up to now?"

"I'm a vocal teacher and part time fashion designer" she said that made Jongdae's confidence sunk. She achieved so much. "You? Where are you working

"Well nothing much. It's embarrassing really compared to how you achieved"

"Hey don't be.. oh wait a minute" she said as her phone rang. She excused herself to answer the phone. "Hello? Yes, I'm sorry. I'll be there in a while. Thank you" 

Jongdae watched as she talked with whoever on the phone. He thought he could invite her to lunch or something but it seems hat she woild be going any minute now

"Oppa, what is it again?"

"I'm an insurance agent, wanna get a plan?" he tried to joke, so as to lighten up his embarrassing, but it didn't do any better

"There's nothing to be embarrassed about oppa, as long as you're not doing anything bad. And yeah, maybe I'll get a plan soon. Anyway, I have to go now. I want to chat more with you though" she pout and made Jongdae scream because cute. Okay, internally, he screamed internally because he's trying to control.

"Ah before I go, I'll give you something" she said and started rummaging her bag "This is great, I wonder why there's extras made earlier and who would've thought that I'll meet you here? Oh found it" She handed Jongdae a gold envelope, completed with a butterfly printed in shining silver at the front. "Sing for us there, I'll be expecting you"

"Is this...? Jongdae couldn't even said what he was thinking, as if afraid that it would be real. 

But Namjoo smiled, that oh so cute smile 

"Yes, you'll come right?"

"Well, okay" Jongdae said trying to hide his dissapointment.
 
Heck why would he be dissapointed? It's just an old friend-- okay an old heartbreak-- but it shouldn't be a big deal 'cause their love story ended without even starting, giving him an invitation. 

A wedding invitation of all things.

It's not like he still hadn't moved on.

Sure he does, it's some months past nine years already.

It's just that, maybe, he missed her.

Or he think that they still have a chance after all these years.

But he's still one unlucky, and stupid, lad.

Life hates him.

Kim Namjoo is getting married

"That's a promise?"

"Promise" he smiled, tried to at least.

 

After Namjoo went out of the shop, Yoongi went to his side.

"Hey hyung, who's that chick?"

"An old friend"

"Don't lie, I never saw your eyes glow like that meeting just  old friend" the blonde reasoned

"You never saw me meeting an old friend, until like seconds ago"

"But still, you acted different. Tell me you like her? Your ex girlfriend?"

"Stop pesterning me"

"But you did like her?"

Jongdae huffed "Maybe I still like her? Forget it, we didn't even have a chance back then" Jongdae sighed and stand up, wanting to go home already.

"Really? Wait maybe this time is your chance? Maybe you met again because you really two are for each other? It's destiny hyung!" The younger exclaimed following him

"No. And shut up. She's getting married" Jongdae said exhaustedly 

"Oh" 

"I'll go ahead" Jongdae swing his bag and wore his coat. He opened the shop's door but stopped midway "Also, I can't believe that an  underground rapper believes in that destiny . Where's the swag in there? psh" he said and finally walked out.

 

 


 

[a/n]

I said two weeks and it turned two months, yeah cuz I am such a loser.

A sad Chenjoo (again) 

Sorry Jongdae iluvyou