Chapter 1: Beginnings - Young Love

DEFINING LOVE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

■■■■

 

I saw ma on TV again, she's handling a big case. It was 17 years ago when she and mom divorced. She's in her mid 40's now, but she's as cool as ever. I have no more contacts with mom, the last time I saw her is on TV a week after she packed her things and left us. She's leaving the movie industry and migratting to Europe with her love of her life. Uncle Siwon. I hate them but ma always tell me, mom was still my mom and I should not hate her. She doesn't hate her, so why would I? I understand ma, she's still love mom. Well, she's dating and she's having a fling but not totally committed.

 

On the other hand, I, on my 25 years is still single, never had a boyfriend, and even a girlfriend. Well actually I'm exception; I want to live a heteroual life. I'm looking for a man rather than a woman but still it depends on a situation because sometimes I am attracted to a woman. I'm an executive director of a growing company and I just live next door to ma's house, just to say I'm independent or just to have a private place to live on.

My figure? An average type, not that slim or fat. I have black straight hair. I don't usually see my skin pale, but it's kind of moderate white. My eyes, brown. I inherited ma's nose, which is kind of pointed line. My lips are moderate red, an average size. Big melons. About 5'4 in height. Total in all, an average citizen.

 

Ma always spoils my dates. She hates me when I'm dating men and took away all my prospective girlfriends. She even slept with one of my classmate back when I'm in college. How can I have a love life if she was like that? But I can't blame her, she's heartbroken.

We're both busy in our daily life but we manage to spend time together. Ma and I always spend the dinner together during Friday night, sometimes if we missed it, we go on an outing during Sundays.

 One Friday evening, I went home late, but I manage to buy a chicken pie for ma as a bribe. As I park my car to the front yard, I saw ma waiting for me.

"I'm sorry, I'm late there's a problem in the company." I apologize.

"It's okay, we've just finished cooking." She said

"We?" I ask with a long question.

"Who is "we"?"

"Do you have a new girlfriend?" I asked

"Nope, a friend of mine with his family." She said.

As we enter the house, there were three people sitting in the dining table. One of them was like my age. A handsome young man, a prospective boyfriend or a husband. I smiled when he looked at me.

"Everyone this is my daughter, Jessica." Ma announced.

"And this is my friend, Yunho, his wife Boa and their son, Donghae." She said as she introduce them.

"So the guy's name is Donghae." I said to myself as I sat beside ma and in front of Donghae.

As we were eating, conversations just flow atbthe table.

"So what do yo do, Jessica?" Yunho asked.

 "I'm a director at Wellham Company." I answered.

"No way, that's the leading programming company in the country today. Woah, I bow to you, at that age, you're already a director." Yunho said amazed.

"You really done well raising this child Yuri." He added as he looked at ma.

"It's in the blood." Ma said.

"That's really nice. Our Donghae here is a professional photographer, he works at Midtone Magazine." Boa said.

"Really? That's nice. If I wasn't a director, I'll be a photographer."

"Or be my model." Donghae said in a brisk tone as he smiled at me.

"He's so sweet. I'm falling for him"

"I can?!"

"You're beautiful. You're tall, just like a professional model. If you like, can I take pictures of you? You can drop by in the studio. How about this Sunday?" He said as he lean forward and put his calling card in the table.

"I'm sorry but I really don't like to be a model." I said. I could see disappointment in his face. I smiled.

"How about I'll just watch you take pictures and then we could have lunch together?"

He smiled as disapointment vanishes through his face.

"Alright."

"That's nice of you Donghae . Inviting my daughter. Can I come too?" Ma said spoiling everything.

I looked at ma.

"Ma, you still have a case to further study, right?" I said and looked at Donghae.

"She can't come."

 

At the end of the dinner, we bid goodbyes to Yunho, Boa and Donghae.

"I think he's gay." Ma said after they left

"No, he's not." I said.

"I like him and please, don't spoil this one." I beg.

Ma smiled.

"I love you being with a woman rather with a man."

I looked at her.

"I don't want to end like you ma. After all, being with a man or a woman, it's the same. If they don't want you anymore, they leave you."

"I guess you're right, but you know what's cool in a woman? She could fully understand you rather than a man."

"Then why mom chose to leave you and go with a man?"

She looked at me.

"I understand that." She smiled and kissed my forehead.

"Goodnight." She said and went back inside.

"It's mom who don't understand you ma."

 

 

It was Sunday and I'm going for a lunch date with Donghae. I'm with my usual clothes, a polo blouse and jeans. I let my hair down, the usual thing I do when I go in dates and as I stop in front of Midtone magazine. I put some powder and lipstick first before getting out of the car. Donghae was already waiting for me there.

It was only nine in the morning, like we have chatted last Friday. I'm going to watch him work first.

"So who's your model today?" I asked as we walk inside the studio.

"Her name is Tiffany Hwang Miyoung. Everybody call her Tiff, she's only 17 , beautiful, tall, and smart." Donghae answered.

"Tiff? She's still studying?"

"Yup, she graduated high school in UK, they just transferred here a few months ago. She's taking medicine right now."

"Nice." I said.

"I really like you as a model though, a brunette type, cool."

I smiled at him.

Inside the studio, Donghae introduce me to the producer and manager of the model.

"This is Mr. Song Seung Hun, the producer and Mr. Gong Yoo, the manager." Donghae introduced.

"Hi. Im Jessica, but you can call me Sica." I said and smil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter