A talk with Umma

Umma Plz Accept Me

Luhan was washing dishes when Key entered. She came home before her mother. Key, on the way back, ended up stopping at the mall and got stuck shopping. She hadn’t come home until after Jonghyun, which is unusual.

“Umma~nim, you’re home! I see you’ve been shopping.” Luhan laughed. “That’s why you were late!”

“What have you been doing, dear?” Key asked after kissing her daughter on the cheek.

“Just cleaning up.”

“I mean the case.”

Luhan laughed. “Umma~nim, it’s not that big of a deal. I’m just defending people who haven’t paid their parking tickets!”

Still, this made Key very happy. “I’m proud of you, Luhan.” She kissed her daughter on the cheek.

Just then, Jonghyun came downstairs to greet his wife. “Hey, I see you went out today. I hope you didn’t use up my credit card.”

“Not all the way,” his wife laughed. “But I bought you some clothes too. I hope you like them.” She hadn’t him a bag of folded suits, which Jonghyun received with a smile.

Then Key motioned for Jonghyun to go upstairs. “Your father and I need to discuss something, so can you start dinner?”

“Dinner’s not ready yet?” Jonghyun said but they disregarded his remark.

“When they reached their bedroom, Key closed the door and then sat on the bed. “Yeobo, I have a question.”

“Hmm?” Jonghyun looked a little confused about what was going on.

“Do you want Luhan to marry Sehun?”

Jonghyun laughed. “Is that a trick question?”

Key sighed. “She doesn’t want to. I think she’s scared.”

Jonghyun sat on the bed with Key. “She should take as much time as she needs. It’s okay, she’s probably trying to establish a career first.”

Key sighed, closing her eyes and shaking her head. “She hasn’t even talked to Sehun since he proposed.”

“He proposed?!” Jonghyun asked excitedly.

“Well, not really. He only mentioned marriage.”

Jonghyun’s jaw dropped. “I think this is a problem. Our daughter isn’t going to give us any grandchildren with that attitude!”

“At dinner? We convince her?”

Jonghyun nodded his head in agreement. “Sounds like a plan to me.”

 

Sehun came into the house with a smile on his face. When Suho saw him, she smiled and greeted her son, asking, “What happened?”

“I will be finished with my residency in a week,” he responded and kissed his mother on the cheek. But before he walked to his room, she stopped him.

“Sehun, there’s something we need to talk about.”

He turned around, still smiling, raising an eyebrow. “Yes, Umma?”

She quietly laughed, nervous. “Sit down, sweetheart.”

He did as she said, sitting on the couch and she came to sit next to him.

“Sehun, do you… do you love Luhan?”

Sehun turned pale in an instant and began to shift.

“Well…”

Suho sighed and rubbed her eyes. She was bad at this sort of thing.

“Umma… of course I love her. That’s why I want to marry her. I don’t want to lose her. But I feel like I already did.”

Suho looked up at her son. “You didn’t lose her, hon. She’s just afraid. Give her some time, okay? You two are very young and just starting out in your careers. Luhan just had her first case today, and you’re about to be finished with your residency. Now may seem like the best time to get married but… it’s not, you see?”

Sehun sighed and looked at his hands fiddling in his lap.

“Sehun… listen. When I first married your father, I wanted his attention. All the time.” She laughed. “And, don’t get me wrong, he wanted to give me that attention. But he couldn’t. Like you, he was young and starting out in his career. He couldn’t do for me what we thought he could. I quickly became a housewife who spent time alone at home. Of course, there was a point in time where I could get the attention from him that I wanted, way later, because I’m very patient, you know that. But not all women are like that. If you rush her into a relationship this quickly, she will backfire.”

Sehun sat in thought, soaking in what his mother said. “But… Luhan wouldn’t be a housewife. She’s got a job.”

Suho laughed. “That’s not the point. If both of you are always at work, how can you act when you greet each other at home? Like strangers? You’ll never see each other or get to know each other with both of you away. You won’t get to know each other.”

Sehun couldn’t even think anymore. His head was hurting, between listening to what his mother was saying and trying to find a legit reason why she was wrong. But in the end, as always happened, he had to give up. Mother knows best.

“I’ll ask her out to dinner tomorrow. I just hope she shows up.”