A Miscommunication

Umma Plz Accept Me

Part 4

 

After class, Baekhyun walked over to Luhan, who was packing her things.

“Hey, Luhan!”

“Baekhyun, hi! What’s up?”

Baekhyun was a little too jumpy. “Chanyeol is taking me out today to a really fancy restaurant! I’m so excited! You know what I think?”

“What?” Luhan couldn’t take the suspense.

“I think he’s gonna propose!” She squealed. But Luhan got uncomfortable, not that her friend noticed.

“So, Luhan, how’s it with you and your doctor?”

“Um… well, we haven’t been talking in a while.”

“Really, why?” Baekhyun looked concerned.

“Well… when he came over my parents’ house, they… kind of started talking about kids and…”

“And?” Baekhyun was a little confused.

“I think he wants to get married now.” Luhan looked down.

Baekhyun’s mouth dropped open. “What the heck, that’s all? You mean you don’t want to marry a DOCTOR? Even after your parents approve of him?” She hit her on the shoulder with her purse. “What’s wrong with you?”

“Ow, Baekhyun,” Luhan pouted. “I’m just not ready, okay? I just want to finish my education first, establish my career, you know.”

“Hmm… okay. Well, I’ll see you later, Chanyeol just texted me. He’s waiting for me at the gate.”

They waved at each other, and Luhan sighed when Baekhyun left. She’s not the best with advice, is she?

 

Sehun had returned home from work. Besides the stress that comes with it, Sehun usually comes home happy, so seeing her son down again, Suho decided to finally speak up.

“Honey, how was work?”

“It was busy. The lady I told you about, who had the weight problem? She still won’t take her medicine or go on a diet.” Sehun fell onto the couch with a loud sigh.

“Honey, is everything alright? With you and Luhan?”

He sighed. “She never answers my calls. It’s been two weeks, Umma. I don’t know if we’re even together anymore, she’s just ignoring me now.”

Suho sighed and sat next to her son. “I hope it’s not my fault.”

“Oh no!” Sehun looked at his mother. “No, it’s not you at all! It’s just… after I met her parents… I kinda proposed to her…”

Suho’s eyes got wide. “Really?”

“Not directly… I mentioned marriage… and then she kind of avoided me after that.” He sighed. “It was a big mistake. Aish, I feel so stupid!”

“Oh, honey, don’t feel that way! Just give her a little space. I’m know she still loves you. You just have to give her time, and if she’s not ready, then you just have to be patient, okay? She hasn’t really started her career yet. So just keep taking your time, okay?”

“Okay.” Sehun sadly nodded. He could wait. But would Luhan listen to him? Would she pick up the phone so that he could tell her it’s okay, that they can put marriage off for a few years?

 

Luhan sat on her bed, and stared at her phone, which was ringing again.

She sighed. It was Sehun. Again.

As much as she wanted to talk to him, she didn’t want to discuss marriage again. She wasn’t ready.

As soon as it stopped vibrating, it started again.

“Aish, why does he keep calling?” She pouted. She walked out of her room.

Key was sitting in the living room, reading a magazine. She saw Luhan walking quickly toward the kitchen.

“Yah, no snacking, it’s not good for your figure!”

Luhan’s mouth dropped. “Umma~nim! Why should I worry about my figure?!” She looked at her body, insecure.

“You want to fit in that wedding dress, don’t you?”

“Huhhh!!!” Luhan continued into the kitchen.

“Yah! Yah!” Key got up and ran towards her daughter. “What did I tell you!”

“Umma~nim, I don’t want to get married, so my figure doesn’t matter.” She grabbed a box of crackers, but her mother snatched it from her hand.

“You still need to stop eating! Seriously, you’re going to get fat!”

“Umma~nim, I don’t care, so please let me eat and be depressed.”

Key didn’t let go of the box, but she calmed down. “Why are you so depressed?”

Luhan was confused on how to explain it. She knew her mother wanted her to get married, but she didn’t. “I’m just having a hard time, okay?” She walked to her room.

 

“Hello? Is this Ms. Suho?”

“Yes, who is this?”

“This is Key, Luhan’s mother.”

“Oh, Luhan! How is she?”

“Hmm… that’s what I wanted to talk to you about. Can we meet at a cafe? You can pick what time.”

“How about noon tomorrow? The house will be empty and I never have anything to do.”

“Sounds good. I can’t wait to meet you.”

 

Suho sat outside, stirring her tea. She looked around, wondering how Luhan’s mother looked like. Certainly, she was a beautiful woman…

A woman came to her and said, “The waiter told me that you’re Suho…?”

“Ah yes.” She stood up. “You must be Key.”

“Yes, nice to meet you.” She motioned for Suho to sit back down. “How’s your son?”

“He’s working hard, comes home tired, but he said he’s satisfied…” she sighed. “But I think he misses Luhan a lot. He said that she hasn’t spoke to him in two weeks.”

“Two weeks?” Key hadn’t even known it was that long. “Why? I thought they were getting married!”

Suho stared at her. “Are you sure? Because Sehun told me that she’s been avoiding him.”

They sat quietly in thought, sipping their tea.

“Well, we have to tell them what’s best.”

“I agree.”

Key smiled at Suho. “Well, I’d love to talk more, but my daughter’s coming home from her first case, so she may be a little stressed. But I will talk to her.”

“Okay. I wish her luck. And I wish to see you again.”