Chapter 6

Transformed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wolves don’t sit still when they have a goal.

 

Aish. Why didn't I clean more? This is so embarrassing. D.O moves around his room, trying to subtly put his things in their appropriate places.

 

After the attempted escape, D.O had helped the girl up the stairs and into the room as she limped at a slow paced beside him. She went to sit directly on his bed afterwards, and has been plainly staring at him ever since. He wasn't sure what she was looking at, but he felt a slight judgement at the state of his room. Kicking a pair of underwear under his desk, D.O finally turns to face the girl as he leans against his desk.

 

D.O hadn't noticed it before, but her beauty struck him then. It wasn't something that he could point out, but all of her features had something distinctly compelling about them. It was only a matter of seconds before their eyes met. Even more flustered now at the connection, D.O coughs to kill the silence.

 

“I meant what I said down there.”

 

The girl blinks in response, in a breath between her teeth.

 

“There's a difference between us werewolves, and I know from what happened, it's hard to see, but we really are.”

 

She watches him with blank eyes. It make him fidget, unsure of what to do. He’s positive that the events that have happened in the past few hours have broke her to a point beyond repair at the moment. He doesn't know what he can do to console her, and he doesn't want to make her pain worse either. So, instead, he tries to cover up the facts with his rambling. This is the most he's ever done considering his perpetual silence at things like this.

 

“We have different divisions, and we even mate with humans, so we aren’t bad but there's a couple who go rogue and-”

 

“Why did you even come?” Her quiet voice breaks through his rant, ceasing his endless words. She’s not looking at him when she says it, but at the window.

 

“Well, we heard the noises-”

 

“So? Why were you even in the area? I've never seen a wolf in my neighborhood before.” The girl’s voice grows colder with every word. The mood shifts and she turns her eyes on D.O once again.

 

“Those wolves, what did they want when they came to my house? Why did you get involved? We were fine and it was a normal day. I was studying for exams, my parents were coming home from work. Why?” Her voice breaks in the middle of the last word, and D.O can tell that she's trying to control her emotions.

 

D.O feels stuck, so when he speaks his next words, he casts his eyes to the floor. “I don't know. I'm wondering that just as much as you. But the thing is, it happened and we can't go back. You’re here now, and hopefully they won't come back for you ever again.”

 

D.O can sense her eyes on him, and he's afraid to see what he caused with his answer. But instead of a sobbing mess, everything about her features are cold.

 

“Maybe, but if they don't come for me, I'll come for them.” The tone of her voice sends a shiver down his back, how dark it seems. At that moment, her eyes seem to pierce right through his soul. He feels ashamed of his race for killing an innocent girl’s family and robbing her of her parents.

 

D.O picks his next words carefully in order to discourage her aggressive feelings. “That's great too, but how about some sleep first? Revenge can always come after a good night's rest.” He breaks away from the position by his desk and goes to his closet. Reaching to the top shelf, he grabs a pair of pajamas and brings it to her. She stares at them like they're a disease as he places it opposite of her. Then, she lifts her eyes to him in a numb action.

 

“Obviously you need your time to cope with everything, so I'll speak no more and leave you alone. But I'll be awake and right next door so you can come and get me if you need anything.”

 

He crosses the room to the door, and before he leaves, he turns back to give her a reassuring look. “By the way, my name’s D.O.”

 

With that, he slips through the door and shuts Ae Sook alone with her thoughts.

 

<> <> <> <> <> <>

 

The clock ticks along in the room, fueling Ae Sook’s anxiety. Her nervousness at completing her escape is great, and it makes her muscles tense with anticipation.

 

When D.O had left the room, she had taken one look at the pajamas and tossed them aside, focusing on her plan. She watched the clock with her eyes and kept her ears open for any signs of the pack going to sleep. She wasn't going to escape while they were awake, that was for sure, but her only problem was D.O, who had promised to be vigilant through the whole length of the night. That scared her.

 

So, in the meanwhile, Ae Sook had searched for an escape route that would actually work. Going downstairs again was out of the option, but other than that, there was no exit she knew of.

 

Suddenly, a picture pops into her mind. The window. Ae Sook gets off the bed quietly, trying not to make an affair out of her rising so that the werewolves could hear her.

 

Her feet softly pad over the floor as she approaches the opening. Pushing the curtains aside roughly, Ae Sook glances out to see how accessible the ground is from the second floor. It seems like the spirits have blessed her as a tree is located right by the window, its strong branches almost brushing the net located on the outside.

 

Her eyes frantically scan for the clock to find the time. It reads back 12:32 AM in large red letters illuminated by the blackness of the room. Ae Sook’s heart rate speeds up, making it hard for her to focus. Worries begin to control her thought process as all worse case scenarios bombard her mind, but one thing scares her more than anything else.

 

Once she gets out, if she makes it that far, could she possibly run into the wolves that had killed her parents? Panic sets over Ae Sook for a moment as the thought occurs to her.

 

There's nothing but woods out there, and from her preexisting notion, that's where wolves live. There's no telling what she could find in the middle of nowhere. However, it's the only way out.

 

Ae Sook begins to wedge the window open slowly so that the members don't necessarily hear her. She wants to have it open before they fall asleep. Just as her fingers reach for the latch of the net, a series of rambunctious yells sound from the hallway.

 

Ae Sook jumps, her heart beating faster than it ever did before. Her fingers freeze on the latch, and her body becomes stiff as the yells continue.

 

“Yah, everyone to bed! We have to run grounds at 5:30!”

 

“Ugh, Suho, do we have to?”

 

“When are the other packs going to take over the job?”

 

“My beauty sleep! I'm going to look like a monster with these eye bags tomorrow. I need to consult my skin doctor.”

 

“Come on, I was going to have a gaming competition with the guys in the States.”

 

“Hush! She’s sleeping and you guys are going to wake her!” Ae Sook’s ears perk up at D.O’s voice.

 

The voices become hushed, but nevertheless, Ae Sook can still make out their words. It's like telling a classroom full of elementary children to be quiet: the results aren't successful.

 

“Is she okay?”

 

“As okay as she can be, I guess. We’re going to have to be gentle about the topic tomorrow.”

 

“Hyung, are going to stay up?”

 

“Yeah. I'm going to be awake just in case she needs anything. It must be hard to be in a strange house so I don't want her to get any more scared than she already is. Can you imagine if she needs to use the bathroom and she ends up in our weapons room instead?”

 

A series of snorts ensue after the comment, but Ae Sook doesn't find anything funny about it. What if they had the same weapons that the others had? She can just picture the illuminated blades that pierced against her mother’s skin in her mind. He said they weren’t the same… Yet they have the same weapons, her mind snaps back at her.

 

“Alright, then you don't have to come on the run. Everyone else, you better be up by 5:10.”

 

Ae Sook’s gut twists twice over at his words. She needs to be out of the woods before 4. She doesn't know how she’s going to make it, especially with no idea where she's currently at or the fact that she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter