Chapter 28

Transformed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You may give your heart, but trust may take time.

 

A disciple raced through the corridors, papers overflowing his arms as his cloak whipped behind him. His glasses slid off the bridge of his nose as he made a sharp turn around a corner, but he adjusted them quickly to make out the lines of the stairs.

He ran with an urgency, and his breaths were erratic once he reached the great doors. He gave a split-second knock before quickly opening the doors without a second thought. This information couldn't wait.

As he let himself in, the chamber lit itself with a soft glow, illuminating one particular figure who was sitting in a chair. The man before him flitted his eyes lazily to the flustered student.

Taking a deep breath to calm himself, the young man walked up to his desk. Unfurling the papers from his arms, he laid them all out in front of the man.

“The star charts have detected a shift, Elder.”

The words brought a jolt to the older man. He dropped his pen with a clank while he abandoned the work in front of him. His eyes, searching, fell upon the papers as two stars, now side-by-side, pulsed with a steady light.

He stared at it for a very long while that made the student nervous. But finally, after what felt like an eon, the man’s creaky voice filled the air and echoed against the walls.

“Call in the council.”

 

<> <> <> <> <> <>

 

“Do Kyungsoo and Kim Ae Sook have confirmed their mating,” Elder Kun wasted no time in declaring. In his chair in the front of the room, he watched as the other 6 Elders erupted in chatter, excluding one. “This only increases the risk of the child finding out what she truly is and we must act on it.”

“But even the pack is oblivious to what she is,” one voice offered. “They have spent the past month together, and yet, they are just as clueless as she.”

“I highly doubt that they would have the resources to find out. Without their parents, they have no means of knowing. The event occurred when they were merely toddlers.”

Kun listened to all the opinions as they flew across the room, and not a single one viewed this as a threat. A spark of loathing ran through the man. They were all foolish.

“Kim Ae Sook is the bane of our existence. She is an oblivious human,” Kun spat the word, “but she holds much more power than she should ever dare touch over ourselves. And she has been getting closer. Closer and closer still. I anticipate it will not take her much longer to reach a conclusion.”

Jungah split her eyes to the man in front of the room, curious as to where this was going.

The Elder who was standing beside her strided over to the podium. “But as you said yourself, she is isolated. Vulnerable.”

Kun’s eyes grew cold. “We are vulnerable. The Council is vulnerable. We cannot ignore our mistakes any longer. This must end. I propose we split them up.”

The words dropped like a bomb across the room, scattering whispers and gasps. One Elder was valiant enough to stand up and ask, “By split them up… do you imply…”

“We claim that they are not mates, but potential links,” Kun affirmed.

Jungah’s veins boiled with anger. How dare he touch such a sacred bond? But she kept silent. She had learned her lesson before.

The others spoke up around her.

“But we will run the risk of her getting stronger without him.”

Kun shook his head. “You fail to acknowledge she will be too emotional to focus. It is a perfect move for us to make. She will not be able to discover the truth, and the EXO pack will not be hurt.”

“The pack in its entirety may not, but what about the individual? What about Kyungsoo?”

“He will survive.”

Chatters rippled once again.

“However, even if we inform him and cause him to believe that they are not mates, he knows the signs too well. Her scent, he is aware of it. It's one of the most overwhelming parts of becoming connected in such a manner.”

Kun rapped his fingers along edge of his desk as he paused for a moment in deep contemplation. He wasn't going to bring this up, but he needed the rest of the Council on his side.

“Her necklaces. Everyone has seen them, haven't they?” He paused, his eyes searching.

The rest of the Elders looked at him, not understanding.

“Yes, they were nice symbolizations of the clans. Most likely gifted to her parents, yet-”

“Not symbolizations. Not decorations. But one of the highest forms of ancient magic. And she bears two around her neck. They inhibit the powers of wolves and hide the scent of those who wear it. It has been the reason why it took us so long for our scavengers to find her. And it has been the reason why it took EXO so long to find her. Her scent is washed, and while Kyungsoo may notice it more, it is still weaker than the scent a regular mate would experience. We can convince him.”

Everyone fell into silence as they thought about his words. However, Kun could feel the discomfort rolling off them in waves.

“Sir, we respect your ideas, however, we do not think-”

Raising himself out of his seat, Kun snapped as he turned livid. “Have I lead you astray before? Have I failed you in my abilities? What do you think would have resulted 22 years ago if it had not been for me?”

The Elders, except for Jungah, all cowered into the shadows as they bowed their heads. The group muttered a series of sorries and indications of agreement.

Jungah bit into her cheek.

“So then, is it decreed?” Kun stated more than inquired as he settled back into his seat.

The group nodded in unison, their responses strangely submissive.

While the Elders pledged their agreement, Jungah’s eyes sought Kun’s over their bowed forms. His eyes glowed, willing her to obey as the others but she remained forthright, her gaze solid on his.

She didn't bow.

 

<> <> <> <> <> <>

 

When Ae Sook and Da Bin came downstairs, side by side, D.O knew what his mate wanted.

He could feel the emotion coming off her in waves.

Sighing, he looked towards Kai before lifting himself off the couch. Pulling the keys out of his pocket, he declared, “The Elders, am I right?”

Ae Sook simply nodded.

“I swear I'm going to be more familiar with them now than I've ever been in my life,” he commented sourly before walking towards the door.

Ae Sook followed him silently after stealing a look at Da Bin, who gave her small hwaiting fists. He held the door open for her, and then, they set down the gravel path towards his car parked under the tree.

Ae Sook looked behind her, curious. “The others aren't coming?”

“No. I just want to get this over with as soon as possible.”

She nodded slightly as she linked her hands together in front of her. She trailed behind D.O guiltily.

“Are you okay?”

She knew D.O was a quiet person, but he was coming off as cold.

His steps hesitated slightly before he kept walking. “You're asking me that when you fainted.”

“Well, to be fair, it wasn't that long ago that you were shot.”

D.O didn't say anything, but Ae Sook could feel his mood lighten. Taking this as a good sign, she skipped ahead to him. She slid her hand down his arm until she threaded her fingers through his.

She could feel him soften under her touch, but he was still moody.

She leaned against his side as they walked, and finally, he came around.

“I'm not happy about it, but I'll let you do it.”

Ae Sook wasn't expecting that, but when he said that, resolve burned in her chest and her hand tightened around his.

“We’ll be able to find the one responsible after this, I promise.”

“Do you really believe that?” D.O asked offhandedly, catching Ae Sook off guard.

Before she could respond, he went over to the driver's seat of the car as he unlocked the vehicle.

When they sat down, Ae Sook took his hand in hers once again. “It's been less than a day since we've started dating, and it already feels like a month.”

“Is that a good sign?”

“I guess, because we’ve already been through hell together. Hopefully, after we find the killer, all of this will end and we can just be like other couples. But for now, it seems like we can't have any happy days.”

D.O chewed on his cheek as he thought about what Ae Sook said. “Yeah,” he finally concluded. “And you know what's the worst part? I think this is just the beginning.”

 

<> <> <> <> <> <>

 

“You know, when I was here last night, I really didn't think I would be back so soon,” Ae Sook commented solemnly as she stared up at the aged mansion. In the daylight, it looked a lot more ancient and withered than it did last night.

“Same here,” D.O agreed as he walked up to the same entrance as the night before.

Ae Sook hesitated from behind. “I really don't like those stairwells,” she called out.

D.O paused and retraced his steps so he could link arms with her. “It'll be fine. We’re going in together, and you didn't die from tripping with me last time.”

She scrunched her nose. “I guessss.”

On the way to the door, she let D.O drag her over. The two guards were absent, but Ae Sook still felt like something was watching her. She hid behind D.O until the heavy doors opened with a hiss.

“Did we schedule an appointment with them?”

“Something like that,” D.O said as he pulled Ae Sook into the chambers after him. Today, the moving stairs seemed to be more stable than usual, and Ae Sook could actually make out more things than last time. She didn't know if it was because it was daytime or if the lights were brighter, but it felt different. More clear.

It didn't take long before they were in front of the same doors from the night before.

Just thinking about it, Ae Sook felt her skull throb as it recited the pain she experienced last time.

Why did she feel so much revulsion to a place?

In that next second, the doors were sent opening once again and they had no choice but to enter for the second time in 24 hours.

Her eyes fell on the Elders at the front of the room, who's stood in the same formation. As they crossed the threshold, D.O let go of Ae Sook’s hand. She felt the emptiness almost immediately.

However, she didn't reach for his hand again as she felt the blade burn against her skin from the inner pocket of her jacket.

Standing at the front of the room, the main Elder spoke. “Nice to be seeing you once again in such a short period.”

D.O bowed his head. “I apologize for the short notice but Ae Sook has some important information to share with you.”

Ae Sook thought back to her moment with Da Bin in her room. As the girls prepared to go downstairs, Da Bin asked Ae Sook a question.

“If you don't trust the Elders, why are you telling them about the sword and jacket?”

“Because,” Ae Sook replied as she stuffed the bag into her jacket, “when I show them this evidence, they have no choice but to admit to who did it. They don't have to reveal their association, but they have to reveal the killer’s identity.”

Thinking back, Ae Sook curled her fists as she looked straight at the main Elder. A chill ran down her spine, but she lifted her chin as she recounted the story she told D.O. When she finished, she took out the fabric, careful not to show the blade.

Silent whispers leaked throughout the chamber, unable to deny the strong scent of blood.

Recounting her night, but simplifying it greatly, Ae Sook told the Council how she followed the wolf after D.O was shot and had managed to grab ahold of some of the fabric from his clothes.

D.O didn't have to be in front of Ae Sook for her to know that his mouth was set in a hard line of disapproval.

Chatter continued before the main Elser raised a hand, silencing everyone.

“And with this, you want us to…,” he trailed off. His green eyes seemed to glisten in a warning.

Ae Sook didn't heed it. “To tell me who it is.”

“And how are we to do that? We are still searching-”

“Well, I just gave you evidence. I am sure you have record of every werewolf. Scavenger, commoner, guard, whatever they are.”

The Elders looked at each other.

“Yes, but we can only ensure that if we have a proper amount of blood.” Kun looked at the cloth with a knowing expression. “Considering your haul, it's not enough.”

Ae Sook opened to protest, but she closed it quickly, remembering that D.O was there. She sneaked a look at him out of the corner of her eye.

It was a subtle movement, but Kun caught it immediately.

His eyes sparked in amusement.

It seemed that it would be a lot easier to separate the two than he thought before.

Preying on their weakness, Kun asked, “Could you step outside, Kyungsoo? We need to talk to Ms. Kim separately.”

Ae Sook’s heart began to beat faster as the request caught her off guard. She knew she had to leave D.O so that she could tell the Elders the truth. She should be thankful for this moment.

But she still didn’t want D.O to leave her side.

Looking behind, she saw D.O meticulously raise one eyebrow. “But why? I have been helping her so far, I see no reason as to why I should leave.”

Kun started again, a smile playing across his lips, “We understand you would like to protect your ward…”

Kun watched D.O’s next move with expectant happiness. They were falling right into his trap.

D.O crossed his arms, his composure cracking. “She’s not only my ward, but my mate.”
Just as he had previously advised his Council, their calm expressions slipped and were replaced by artificial shock. “Mate?” they whispered, allowing for the couple to overhear.

Ae Sook and D.O turned to look at one another before they both nodded.

“Well,” Kun drew his syllables, leaving mystery in his tone, “we would like to speak to you both separately.”

“Why?” D.O began again, but Kun just lifted a hand.

“Patience, and you will see. Now, Kyungsoo, please exit so we don’t stall this information any longer.”

D.O took a long look around the room before he bowed and then exited. He tried to catch Ae Sook’s gaze but she was too nervous that he would see through her that she kept her head held high, facing forward.

The door shut heavily behind him, like a harsh ending. The hair on the back of Ae Sook’s neck stood as silence collapsed around her. But a single thought ran across her mind in addition to prodding reminders of her betrayal: She hated how he listened to them so well.

She hated how the Elders played this charade.

More than anything, she wanted to launch herself across the room and rake her fingernails down Kun’s cheeks.

How could anyone else not see it?

He was a vile snake, and somehow, he did all of this.

But she was so lost in her own pursuit.

She had no connections, no coherent story. She didn’t even understand how any of this was related. Her parents, so innocent. That wolf and this Elder, so cruel.

Ae Sook’s eyes swept across the podiums before the door shut with a heavy fall behind her.

Was it all of them? Some of them? Just Kun?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter