Chapter 12

Transformed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We’re all but monsters.

 

Chanyeol is leaning against his Audi A7 that is parked across from the club when his phone rings in his pocket, vibrating in his black half-waist apron. He depends upon the moonlight to search for it in the folds of stark cloth, and once his finds it, he lazily slumps back against the car again as he casually slides the green button across the screen to unlock his friend’s voice.

 

The other end is pulsing with a strong Latin American beat, not much different from the music that filled his ears just a few minutes before. Above the loud music, D.O has to shout to get his voice heard by Chanyeol. “Where did you go, man? We need your help. We lost her in the crowd when she saw us.” A hint of desperation leaks into D.O’s voice, and Chanyeol can tell he’s on the edge. Chanyeol would be too if he was chasing a girl for almost two weeks.

 

“Actually, you don’t need to worry anymore. I’ve got her with me,” Chanyeol says proudly, grinning a bit as he kicks his foot against a rock stuck in the pavement of the road.

 

A moment of silence resounds on the phone.

 

“What do you mean? She’s actually with you?” D.O’s voice rings into the receiver, heavy with disbelief. Chanyeol can hear some muffled whispers in the background mixed with D.O’s tense voice, and he can assume it's Kai being nosy once again.

 

Chanyeol laughs at the prospect. “Yeah, she’s sitting in the car right now.” More like lying...unconscious, Chanyeol thinks, but he wasn’t about to tell them that. “You should come over so we can get home before she changes her mind.” Or wakes up. But he highly doubts it since he gave her enough of a dosage to knock himself out for 6 hours.

 

The only answer he gets in response is the ugly buzzing of the ended conversation. They must be on their way here, because Chanyeol sees no other answer fit for D.O’s rash actions. He slips his phone back into his apron, waiting to see the two figures emerge from the club.

 

This event of many has been remarkably strange for Chanyeol as a witness, and he couldn’t exactly explain it with anything other than the strangeness of his pack mate. For a while now, D.O has been acting weird, and his strange mannerisms have been ever occurring since the night that he brought that girl bleeding through the front door of their house.

 

Chanyeol glances up to the moon, bright in its waning crescent. It wasn’t even full moon, and by logical explanations, there was no reason for D.O to be so emotional about the search. He never was. By far, he was the most removed out of all of them, and he never really spoke, just watched carefully and let out a chuckle here and there. But now, it was like something awoke him, and Chanyeol didn’t know what to think about it.

 

The girl looked everything associated with normal, yet the urgency to capture her was outstanding. Chanyeol even had to dress up as a waiter because of her, not to mention downgrade the status of his car. He could be riding in his sleek porsche that hugged the ground, but instead he had to pull out the stupid SUV so they could fit her in. He was so curious to find out what they would do with her afterwards, especially since she was a human. He doesn’t have time to continue his thoughts as two sprinting figures burst from the dark doors of the club, littering the snowed-on pavement with their footprints. Just as he predicted, D.O is at the head of the line.

 

As soon as he reaches the car, D.O comes to an abrupt stop in front of Chanyeol. He can see that getting out of the club must have proven to be quite a struggle, especially with his disheveled hair and twisted shirt. Kai seems to have fared no better, and this guy actually has lipstick stains on the collar of his white shirt. Chanyeol doesn’t even wanna ask.

 

“It’s about time. I almost froze to death,” Chanyeol laughs, making a joke out of his hot blood.

 

“Where is she?” D.O says right away, wasting no time to get to the point.

 

“Jeez, I see you don’t care for my health. I understand,” Chanyeol mocks with fake hurt coloring his tone and a mischevious glint in his eyes.

 

“Chanyeol.”

 

“Fine, fine, don’t get your knickers in a twist. She’s sitting right in the back seat.” Chanyeol doesn’t even have the time to step aside as D.O opens the door to the SUV, almost knocking him to the floor. Kai helps him up, but only to push him to the side again as his curiosity takes over and he makes a move to sneak a glance at the girl. He can really feel the loyalty.

 

D.O steps out from the car, letting Kai get his turn. “Is she drunk?” He asks, indicating her sprawled out position in the back seat.

 

Chanyeol snorts. “You could say that.”

 

D.O’s brows knit in confusion, and for a moment, Chanyeol is actually afraid to tell his friend what he did. “Well, you could say that she won’t be waking up for a while, that’s all.” He begins to round the hood of the car, heading for the driver’s seat and hoping that the subject would be dropped, but Kai’s smartass mouth stops him.

 

“Hey, hyung, what is this?” He’s emerged from the door of the car and has produced a white cloth while his other finger points at a bottle on the floor. Chanyeol’s eyes widen.

 

.

 

He then proceeds to sniff the material before pulling it away from his face with a grimace. “This smells terrible.”

 

D.O takes it from him and does the same, but his eyes flash an angry grey at the smell. “Chloroform?” He looks up to Chanyeol for assurance, but he doesn’t find it in his pack member’s sheepish grin. “What were you ing thinking?” D.O yells at Chanyeol. “You drugged her?”

 

D.O’s attitude rubs Chanyeol the wrong way. “At least I’m not afraid to do whatever it takes get her instead of dancing around options when you’ve known where she was for the past three days.” The orange of his eyes burns in a defensive nature.

 

Kai has to hold D.O back as he lurches forwards in Chanyeol’s direction.

 

“Guys, stop it,” Kai reprimands as he pushes D.O a few feet away from himself and the car and into the street. “You both need to calm down and chill the out or I’ll leave both of you in the snow and take her home myself.”

 

D.O eyes burn brighter for one more second before the color burns out and fades back into their regular brown. He then starts to walk over to Chanyeol who watches him with tentative orange eyes.

 

“I’m sorry for acting out, I’ve just been so stressed to find her since we have to report her the Elders. It’s nothing personal, just nerves. But,” he says as he flicks Chanyeol on the forehead with extra force, “that was a move to drug her. She’s only going to try and escape even more now, and even though she can’t prove that we are werewolves, she could file for harassment.”

 

A few seconds pass before Chanyeol’s eyes return to their normal color and the atmosphere regains its friendly aura. “Well I did the work this time, so she’s your problem now,” Chanyeol says as he weaves around the car and uses the open door to separate them. He slides into the custom leather seat and shuts the door with a soft thud before turning the ignition to make the German engine purr. Without Chanyeol having to tell him what to do, Kai calls shotgun and sits in the front, leaving D.O to seat himself in the back.

 

When D.O opens the car door, he reveals Ae Sook in a different position than the last. Instead of taking the entire seat, she’s curled in on herself, her hair neatly covering her cheek. “Wait, Chanyeol, I thought people who were chloroformed don’t move at all?”

 

“Naw they shouldn’t. Most stay still like a log.” He says while he plays with the dials on the side of the dashboard. “It’s not like the girl moved, so why are you asking?” Chanyeol lets out a short laugh as the soft melody of songs begin to pour out from the speakers.

 

“But she did. How much did you give her?”

 

“What?” Chanyeol turns around abruptly in alarm. Kai turns in his seat too, but stands on his knees in the seat, grabbing the head cushion to peer around. He turns around just in time to see Ae Sook stir, her eyes fluttering. Immediate panic ensues on everyone’s part, and Chanyeol can’t help but cry out in shock. “I gave her a dosage enough to knock one of us out for a few hours!”

 

Everyone’s eyes widen in horror as Ae Sook’s fingers begin to stretch and her eyes lazily open, still groggy from the drugs. Kai lets out a high pitched scream of surprise. “What do we do?!” Noticing that neither Chanyeol or D.O have recovered from their shock, he scours the floor before leaning over to pick up the cloth, still damp from the liquid. He doesn’t want to risk anything so he picks up the bottle and adds a few more drops for good measure. Then, he slaps his cloth-padded hand over her face. She seems more lucid that she was before, and limply struggles under it.

 

“Hyung! Stop staring and hold it!” Kai yells over to D.O. When he doesn’t make a move, Kai leans further from his seat to grab D.O’s hand and replace it with his own.

 

“Come on, get in, we have to go!” Chanyeol urges this time, turning back into his seat to revv up the engine. Fumbling, D.O lifts Ae Sook’s head and places it in his lap after he shuts the door closed behind him.

 

He refuses to look down as guilt makes his tongue heavy in his mouth, but a force on his wrist catches him off guard enough to shift his gaze. When he glances over, he finds Ae Sook’s fingers wrapped around his arm. The strong pressure pulls his gaze away from his arm and to her eyes, which he finds are strangely lucid even now, the clouds of oblivion only beginning to dull them. There are so many messages locked in those orbs, and D.O can make out most of them: please let me go, what are you doing to me, where are you taking me, and hidden the farthest down, I’m scared.

 

D.O’s eyes are locked to hers, and the more time that passes by, the more urgent her eyes become. They are beginning to lose their light and instead, it is replaced by more desperate pleas that clearly display her panic and fear. Soon enough, her finger begin to lose their grip and her eyes show one more message: Please. After that, she is out, her eyes shut closed and her hand limp at her side.

 

D.O hates himself for it.

<> <> <> <> <> <>

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter