Chapter 23

Transformed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Preparation is key.

For the first time in a while, Ae Sook was left to her own devices.

With the clock almost striking 12 PM, there wasn’t even a peep heard in the werewolf house as all the members were either out or still sleeping.

To be honest, it felt a little weird as Ae Sook had adjusted more to their ways and had forgotten her own, but the silence and loneliness was a welcome surprise sometimes.

With the cold air blowing in from the slightly opened windows, Ae Sook sat in the kitchen, scrolling through her phone with a relaxed happiness. Along with her juice in front of her and a simple breakfast, she could almost envision her mom walking around the corner to ask her when she would be getting home. But this wasn’t a notion to be sad about, it was one that made her comfortable.

And so Ae Sook sat, occasionally tucking her falling hair behind her ear while she passed time in blissful silence. The only thing that disrupted her was a ding on her telephone that signaled a message.

Swiping up, Ae Sook realized that the time for her scheduled appointment was nearing. Collecting her dishes, she went to place them in the sink just as an explosion of sound vibrated through the room.

“Happy New Year!” Sehun hooted, his voice several octaves higher than normal.

She knew the silence was too good to be true.

Ae Sook placed the dishes in her hands back down on the table, knowing that this was going to be an event. Just as she predicted, Sehun bounded into the kitchen from around the corner, decked down in full New Year celebratory gear.

Ae Sook cocked an eyebrow at the spectacle in front of her, unsure of what to make out of it. But before she could event put a coherent thought together, Sehun pulled out a party horn from the back of his pocket and proceeded to blow in it.

Ae Sook was sure that even the inner city residents could hear it. But that didn’t seem to matter to Sehun as he religiously put all the air his lungs could hold into that horn. Then, taking the party favor away from his lips, he pumped a fist and exclaimed once more, “Happy New Years Eve!”.

Once he was done, Ae Sook simply took a moment to herself in order to absorb all that was going on before her. With her eyes on Sehun’s 2016 glasses, all she could do was laugh.

“Well at least someone looks excited for the new year.”

Sehun raises his horn in response as he flaps his arms in a questionable dance. He only stops to grin with a response of “How’d you guess?” before resuming. In an invisible conga line of his own, Sehun trotted around the kitchen, his arms moving to their own beat.

Ae Sook was really tempted to use her phone to record the entire affair, but she was afraid she would miss a part of this walking disaster. When Sehun made his way back over to her, he began a shimmy that Ae sook was quite sure she would be able to unsee for the rest of her life.

With a hand to in order to cover the giggles, Ae Sook begged, “Please don’t tell me you’re going to dance like this tonight.”

Turning away from Ae Sook, Sehun stood with his back to the living room before he tooted his horn in an obvious yes. Ae Sook made a face at him as he continued his personal celebration. After a few more rounds of hotline bling inspired horn playing, Sehun finally put the instrument to rest as he slipped it in the waistband of his jeans. However, just as he opened his mouth to speak, a hand smacked Sehun from the back, causing his head to jerk forward.

Sehun, with a hand to the bruised area, the convicted person with a shout on his lips. Yet, as calmly as a gazelle, D.O simply walked passed the maknae towards the fridge.

With surprise, Sehun shouted from across the room, “Hyung, why’d you do that?!”

D.O took a sip from the water jug before responding in a deathly quiet voice, “No one wants to hear your nonsense this early in the morning. Save it for tonight.”

Ae Sook’s eyebrows shot up at the sudden coldness from her friend.

Sehun looked like he wanted to say something, but he chose to remain quiet, probably for the sake of his own self. Leaning over to Ae Sook, he whispered into her ear, “He’s not a morning person.”

Ae Sook commented right back, “But its 12.”

“I wouldn’t test it.”

Ae Sook quirked a brow in response. Removing herself from Sehun’s proximity, she turned to look over to D.O who was still by the fridge. In his pajamas, Ae Sook could clearly see that his hair was adorably mused, a show that he just woke up. She couldn’t help her heart’s reaction, but she for sure didn’t let it show on her face.

Usually, D.O was always the one who woke up before she did and was never there when Ae Sook opened her eyes. That’s because he was assigned morning shifts to run the grounds. But this time, he ran the night shift in addition to running the territory twice for extra provision, which caused him to come home at nearly three in the morning. He about gave Ae Sook a heart attacked when he plopped into bed, smelling of the forest and all.

And Ae Sook was grateful that he slept like a rock, because with her alarm set for 9, she practically had to crawl over him to get out of bed. It was an interesting experience, but she managed it, so that’s why she was willing to let him continue in his grumpy ways.

Although she badly wanted to go a ruffle his hair to mess with him, another ding from her phone brought her back to reality, causing her to realize what time it is.

With wide eyes, Ae Sook ran towards the kitchen table where she left her car keys. Then, with undocumented speed, she ran to the door where she hopped around in order to pull her shoes on. With a word of parting, Ae Sook was about to slip through the door when D.O began walking towards her.

“Where are you going?”

Ae Sook froze like a teenager caught sneaking out. She had to pause and close her eyes briefly before turning to face D.O with a poker face.

With a smile, unaffected smile, she said sweetly, “To go get coffee.”

“With what vehicle?”

Dangling the keys in front of her, Ae Sook remained steadfast in her answer. “Suho’s.”

Ae Sook could see the shock spread across D.O’s face in disbelief, but nevertheless, he kept the questions coming. “And who’s going with you?”

Ae Sook’s smile faltered at this. Of course there was no way he was gonna let her go alone again. With an internal sigh, she tried anyways. “Suho…,” she began, but then when D.O raised his eyebrow, she added, “in spirit.”

D.O sighed before beginning his tangent and Ae Sook felt like a preschooler being lectured on something bad she did. She had to admit there were times when he was cute and others when he was stifling.

“How many times have I told you that you need to take someone with you when you go out? I thought we agreed on this and you understood it.”

Ae Sook subtly rolled her eyes and was about to engage in the argument when D.O pointed a finger of disbelief at her. “Did you just roll your eyes at me?”

“Listen, D.O, I have to be in town by 12:45. Can we discuss this later?”

Turning to the maknae, D.O asked in incredulity, “Sehun, did she just ignore me, too?”

Ae Sook put a hand to her temple.

There was no way she was going to be on time.

“Okay, I don’t have time for this,” Ae Sook exclaimed in an exasperated voice as she reached over to D.O and took his wrist in her hand. “I’ll just take you with me.”

Ae Sook thought this solved the problem, but apparently not as he began to dig his heels into the carpet. “Wait, now? I have to change!”

Ae Sook turned to his with an incredulous look. “No, we’re going tomorrow. What do you think? Come on, D.O, I need to leave!” Taking a sweeping glance, Ae Sook took in his outfit that consisted of black sweat pants that cut off at the ankles and a plain white t-shirt. To be honest, it looked like a perfectly casual outfit, and Ae Sook saw no problem in going in it in public except for a few wrinkles.

Huffing a bit, Ae Sook dropped D.O’s wrist and threw a pair of shoes at him as she went in search of a jacket. Not even seconds later, she was back and began ing D.O’s limbs into the jacket. He obviously tried to protest, but Ae Sook just pushed his hands away as she began to smooth down his hair too into a presentable state. However, this action was more for her sake because she knew that on their outing, someone would at least try to hit on him if he kept his hair that way. It was almost inevitable.

Once he was all dressed up, Ae Sook nodded her head in goodbye one more time to a shocked Sehun before open the door and pushing D.O into the cold afternoon.

It was merely a second later when she slammed the door behind her. Because she was herding D.O in her desired direction, Ae Sook couldn’t exactly see what was before her as she continued walking, but suddenly, at the bottom of the stairs, D.O halted, causing Ae Sook to slam into his back.

Immediately, Ae Sook put more pressure on his back to get him to move forward. “Why are you stopping? We’re almost to the car!”

Without a word, D.O simply reached behind himself to take a hold of Ae Sook’s hand and he pulled her from behind himself to stand by his side. Ae Sook’s mouth was open and ready to fire protests at him, but seeing D.O’s solemn face, Ae Sook paused.

And then she turned to face the front.

Before her were Da Bin and Kai, mirroring the position Ae Sook and D.O were in.

For a second, regret stabbed at her heart when she saw Da Bin’s face. But as soon as she looked over to Kai, her eyes hardened. She kept her gaze on Kai’s for nearly a minute in a battle of wills.

Her friend wasn’t the problem here, it was her boyfriend.

Ae Sook refused to acknowledge them as mates, and she wouldn’t acknowledge her friend until she saw what stupid of a mistake she was making.

In that spirit, Ae Sook averted her gaze and pulled D.O along with her through their still connected hands. Steely, she began walking towards Suho’s car, ignoring the couple. But as soon as she passed Da Bin, the girl grabbed Ae Sook’s hand, causing her to pause.

In a low voice, Da Bin said, “We need to talk.”

Ae Sook cut her a look, but it was more aimed at Kai than her friend. “I don’t see why when he’s still here.”

Da Bin squeezed Ae Sook’s hand in response to the comment. “You don’t need to say it like that. Can I just please have a minute?”

“You already heard my opinion about this. There’s no reason to talk,” Ae Sook threw back as she removed her hand from Da Bin’s. “And I’m late. You know how I hate being late.”

Ae Sook looked Da Bin in the eye one last time before moving on, her feet picking up speed.

She let go of D.O’s hand as she got to the hood of the car, and she got into the driver’s seat without a sound. It wasn’t long after she sat down that she heard D.O’s car door fall into place.

Quickly, Ae Sook turned the car on and started down the road. Her eyes flickered to the rearview mirror, and there, she saw Da Bin giving the saddest look she’s ever seen her friend have.

 

<> <> <> <> <> <>

 

The whole car ride to the coffee shop was rather silent. A single word didn’t pass between them, but somehow, Ae Sook felt like D.O’s presence spoke volumes. At one point during the ride, D.O just reached out to hold her hand in his and it felt as if a whole weight had lifted off her shoulders. She was grateful for the silent understanding, and though he probably didn’t agree with her stance, it was still nice to know that he was there for her.

When Ae Sook parked, she finally spoke up. However, her voice was more humorous than expected in the face of the given situation. “Can you promise to behave yourself or do I need to get you another table?”

D.O’s voice was quiet and skeptical when he asked, “Why?”

“Because you scolded me the last time I met up with him.”

D.O paused for a second in an attempt to remember, and finally, his eyes lighted up with recognition. Almost immediately, he dropped Ae sook’s hand and turned in his seat fully to face her in protest. “Don’t tell me it’s the guy who made the sudden appearance at Christmas.”

Ae Sook just laughed in response, which ticked D.O off even more. “Ae Sook, you shouldn’t get too close to anyone right now. We never know what they could do, and especially in your situation, it’d be to easy for them to figure out our secret.”

Ae Sook just patted D.O’s shoulder in consolation. “Chill out, he’s not coming over to our house. It’s just a friendly get-together. And friendly means friendly so you better not glare at him like last time.”

D.O crossed his arms. “I don’t exactly trust him.”

“Okay, whatever you say D.O,” Ae Sook replied mindlessly as she felt her phone vibrate in her hand. Picking it up, she answered right away even as she felt D.O’s eyes pierce into her.

Sae Ryun’s voice filled her ear from the other end. “Are you here, Kim?”

“Yeah, I’m parked up front.”

“In the black BMW?”

Ae Sook paused for a second as she checked the hood of her car. “Woah, how’d you know?”

Her question went unanswered as she heard a knock on her window. In surprise, she turned around the find Sae Ryun grinning at her from a standing position. Crouching down a bit to get on Ae Sook’s eye level, he knocked on the window a second time. In response, Ae Sook rolled the window down and Sae Ryun leaned in as he draped his arms over the opening.

“Aren’t my senses the best?”

Smiling Ae Sook disagreed as she said, “I beg to differ.”

Sae Ryun raised his eyebrows. “And why is that?”

Ae Sook simply leaned to the side, revealing a previously hidden D.O. It must have been quite the shock to Sae Ryun as his mouth became slack. In contrast to Ae Sook’s warnings, D.O glared at Sae Ryun once again, causing the younger male to take a step back and bow politely in greeting.

Sae Ryun’s response caused Ae Sook to hit D.O so that he would stop intimidating Sae Ryun with his pointed look. In turn, D.O made a face at her but she just gave him a look back. Turning back to Sae Ryun, she said, “Don’t worry about him. He just woke up on the wrong side of the bed” as she waved off D.O’s rude behavior.

However, instead of remaining quiet, the werewolf muttered, “How could I when I can only sleep on one side?”

Ae Sook almost choked as the words set her cheeks ablaze. She didn’t dare to look behind her and instead, she stared at Sae Ryun in shock, who thankfully wasn’t able to hear the soft-spoken words. But seeing her panic, Sae Ryun asked, “What happened?”

Ae Sook shook her head at him and motioned for him to step to the side so that she could get out of the car. She could practically feel D.O’s laughter from behind her, and sure enough, Ae Sook saw a presence of a smug smile on his face when he got out from the car.

Choosing to ignore it, she focused on Sae Ryun instead.

But he didn’t make the situation any better with his statements.

“I didn’t realize this would be a party of three or I would have brought someone to make it a double date.”

Ae Sook just blinked before the muscles around tightened into a hard line.

She wasn’t going to get a break today, was she?

Opting to pretend she didn’t hear Sae Ryun or see D.O’s confused looks, Ae Sook started walking towards the coffee shop with her own topic of conversation. “I heard they have a pretty good glacier coffee here.” Pointing to the menu printed on the glass door, Ae Sook walked towards it like it was the only thing she had in mind.

She could feel both males following behind her, so she didn't stop to wait for them before she opened the door to the shop and went inside.

With the heat put on full blast, in addition to her heavy layers and her embarrassment, Ae Sook began to burn up as soon as she stepped foot inside so as she went up to the cash register to save their spot to order, Ae Sook began taking her jacket off to reveal her thin sweatshirt underneath.

When she paused to glance over the menu on the wall one more time, Ae Sook felt a breath over her shoulder. Turning, she expected it to be D.O, but to her belated surprise, it was Sae Ryun.

“I see you're wearing the bracelet,” Sae Ryun noted as he fixed his gaze on Ae Sook’s wrist. In response, Ae Sook flicked her gaze over to the small silver chain peeking out from beneath her sleeve.

“Yeah, I’m still surprised how you guessed my taste right.”

Sae Ryun shrugged his shoulders rather sheepishly, but Ae Sook could make out the beginnings of a smug smile on his face. She reached over to flick him on the forehead, and once she did, she heard a growl so low that she was sure couldn't be heard on normal frequencies.

Ae Sook glanced over her shoulder to find D.O pinning his piercing stare on her. Knowing that he was probably warning her not to get too close to Sae Ryun with the whole human-finding-out-my-secret thing, Ae Sook just turned her head to ignore him. Thankfully though, Sae Ryun changed the topic.

“So how was your Christmas?”

“The remainder of it was interesting. What about yours? How was the party?"
"Boring as always. But I saw something I really haven't ever seen before."
Ae Sook raised an eyebrow, urging him to explain as the line slowly moved forward. D.O used this space to move around to Ae Sook’s side so that he was standing right next to her instead of by the wall, but Ae Sook didn't acknowledge his presence as she listened intently to what Sae Ryun had to say.

"Da Bin brought a guy to the ball."
If D.O didn't have Ae Sook’s attention before, he surely didn't have it now as Ae Sook's breath stopped hitched and her face reflected one of shock. Sae Ryun took this as a sign to go into greater detail.

"I mean, he looked like the guy who was with her when I was over at your place, so I guess I was more aware than others so I just found it funny. You should have seen Sae Ra. It was the best thing I've seen in awhile. She came over to Da Bin, ready to steal him away when he blatantly turned her down. She almost had a fit when she found out Da Bin and him were in a relationship, and a loyal and steady one at that. And then she heard he was the heir of K. I regret not tapping it."
Saw Ryun flashed his smile and Ae Sook felt happy for him that he at least had some comfort in the situation, but Ae Sook couldn't help but frown in her weak attempt to smile.

In comfort, D.O reaches out to touch Ae Sook’s hand, but she just moves it away at his slightest brush. D.O’s inner wolf whimpers at the rejection, but to an extent, he can feel her pain too since she is his mate. But then, jealously becomes more prominent of an emotion as Ae Sook’s attention switches back to Sae Ryun instead of himself.

Noticing Ae Sook’s discomfort, Sae Ryun scratches the back of his neck. "Too soon, huh?"

Ae Sook lets a moment of silence pass between them, and Sae Ryun offers his voice to fill it.
"When are you guys going to make up?"
Ae Sook laughs. "You don't even know what we're fighting about."
"That might be true, but I know that whatever puts a rift between you and Yeong isn't anything good. Just don't let it go on too long. I'm sure you're both beating yourselves up over it so it's better just to resolve it now."

With this statement hanging in the air, D.O catches Ae Sook’s gaze, and though he doesn’t say anything, his eyes clearly depict that he’s in support of Sae Ryun’s opinion.

Not wanting to start up a fight, Ae Sook just sighs and says, “I’ll think about it.”

Both males would have expanded upon the situation, but finally, the three have made it to the counter to place their order so they can’t say anything more.

Leaving the previous topic behind, Ae Sook opens to order, but then an idea comes to mind. Turning to Sae Ryun, she asked with a smile in her eyes, “Since you picked my bracelet, how about you pick my coffee, too?”

Ae Sook can see disapproval on D.O’s face, but she focuses on the male in front of her.

Sae Ryun’s face is blank for a second before he steps up to the challenge. He takes a moment to scan Ae Sook’s face before he confidently steps up to the counter. With a steady voice, he orders, “One white mocha, extra cream.”

Ae Sook mimicks a sharp buzzer. Pushing Sae Ryun aside, she says, “You are so wrong” to the boy and then to the cashier, “Please take that out. One expresso, double shot.”

Sae Ryun gaps at her. “Double shot? Isn’t that a bit strong?”

The girls shrugs her shoulders in response. “That’s real coffee right there. Anything less is too weak for me.”

Sae Ryun squints his eyes at her. “But that doesn’t match you image at all!”

“I would beg to differ. I could even guess both of your favorites,” Ae Sook challenges as she points a finger between the two of them.

D.O, not having spoken before, finally breaks his silence and says, “Let’s see it. What should I get?”

Immediately, Ae Sook decides. “Hand-drip Cuban coffee.”

Ae Sook could tell she was right as soon as D.O’s mouth parted. “How’d you guess that?”

With a smile, she replies, “I told you before. You’re the library type. I have enough experience in this sort of thing.”

“Okay, what about me?” Sae Ryun inquires, his voice skeptical.

It doesn’t take long for Ae Sook to determine his style, either. “Caramel macchiato.” And by Sae Ryun’s raised eyebrows, she knows she's guessed it again.

Smugly, she turns back to the counter to reiterate her order. Of course, Ae Sook pulls out her wallet and when the boys raise their own, she just swats their hands away. Number in hand, she begins walking towards an empty table.

But just before she slides into the booth, she feels her pocket vibrating. Instead, she lets the guys seat themselves opposite of each other as she leans against the wooden backboard to see who it is.

When Ae Sook notices the caller ID, a smile begins to lift the corners of her, and immediately, it prompts questions from D.O.

“Who’s that?”

Ae Sook waves a hand at him in dismissal. “Just Hwan.” With her eyes darting between both of the boys, Ae Sook says, “I’m gonna go take this call outside. I’ll be back in a bit.”

Sae Ryun simply nods as he begins to glance at a menu, and as soon as Ae Sook knows that he’s not paying attention to them anymore, Ae Sook whispers, “And you better be nice to him or I’m not taking you anywhere else, understood?”

Despite D.O’s sour look, Ae Sook knows that he wouldn’t dare, but she just gives him a pat on the shoulder for good measure.

And then she’s rushing out into the cold, trying to pick up her call.

 

<> <> <> <> <> <>

 

“Hey Hwan, what’s up?” Ae Sook asks as soon as she walks outside, her voice lifting in excitement.

It’s been so long since she’s actually spoken to him, and she has a hunch that he’s gonna drop something important.

“Ah, there’s my favorite nerd. Just wanted to hear your voice, see how you’re doing,” Hwan starts, though his voice is kind of muffled. Ae Sook hears shuffling in the background, but nonetheless, she responds to the new nickname.

“Since when was I a nerd?”

“Aren’t you studying to become a doctor?” Hwan counters.

“Okay, good point,” Ae Sook relents with a laugh.

Suddenly, laughter fills the other end of the receiver, which throws Ae Sook off. Then mumbling and a few more chuckles are exchanged before Hwan’s voice fills the void

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter