I

When Our Paths Align

                                                                                                      

 

Although you had initially hated the idea of a ‘blind date’ you were beginning to warm up to it. It was actually going so great; you almost thought it was too good to be true. Perhaps you might even be grateful towards your best friend Park Hea who had set you up with one of her acquaintances; Jay. He seemed nice enough and was unquestionably very well-mannered and handsome. You had offered to pay for dinner numerous times but he wouldn’t even let you reach into your purse. His smile seemed genuine and you two had a lot in common as well. The last stop on your seemingly ‘perfect’ date was the movies.

 

“I’ll get the tickets, why don’t you find us a spot?” Jay smiled.

 

You nodded and headed towards theatre 7 which seemed to be playing some sort of action movie.  Glancing at the strange poster you cocked your head to the side. ‘The skidding of tires’? What kind of stupid title is that?  You glanced at the credits at the bottom of the poster. ‘Starring Chinese superstar Kris Wu’

 

“Oh, so it’s a Chinese film?”

 

Well, you hadn’t yet seen a Chinese movie in theatres but there was a first time for everything right?

 

You strolled into the theatre and found two seats in the middle. Although you hadn’t heard of this movie, it sure seemed like everyone else around you had. The theatre was packed with noisy teenagers and lovey-dovey couples.  The teenage girls behind you in particular, were squealing obnoxiously loud and you found yourself praying that they would shut up by the time the movie began. That was one of your two pet peeves; people talking during movies. The other was smoking, but that was a given.

 

After a few minutes, Jay turned up beside you with a large bag of popcorn. “Has it begun yet?” he asked, glancing at the screen and then to you.

 

You turned to him and shook your head. “Nope.”

 

“Good.” He smiled. You raised a brow but continued to munch on the popcorn since it was free and you were famished.

 

As the previews played on the large screen, you felt Jay shift closer to you. He placed a challenging hand on your thigh and gave it a light squeeze. You glanced over at him with a perplexed look and his smirk responded.  For a while Jay’s hand remained at your thigh, lightly squeezing at the bare skin every so often.

 

Soon the movie began and you had to shut your eyes briefly in order to prevent yourself from going blind.

 

*STARRING CHINESE SUPERSTAR KRIS WU*

 

*KRIS WU!*

 

*KRIS WU!!*

 

*KRIS WU!!!*                                                                                                

 

After a while you realized the credits were essentially just his name in different font and colors and there was no mention of other cast or crew.

 

Whoever this Kris guy was, he seemed to have a strong liking for himself and his American sounding name. Wasn’t he Chinese? What was the correlation?

 

Useless questions boggled your mind as you waited for the movie to begin. Once it finally did, the characters began to speak Korean and you let out a sigh. You were thoroughly confused at this point. Nevertheless, the action scene in the beginning seemed to catch your attention so you decided to stick around after all.

 

About ten minutes into the film, Jay inched closer to you and whispered in your ear. “Wanna have some fun?”

 

What did he mean? Wasn’t going to a movie supposed to be fun? Maybe he wasn’t enjoying the movie? You certainly were. Although his action scenes were a little awkward due his tall and gangly body, this Kris guy could surely act.

 

You didn’t respond to Jay’s actions so he took matters into his own hands (quite literally). As you reached farther into the buttery bag of popcorn, Jay slipped a hand under your shirt and began to caress the skin above your belly.

 

You let out a yelp at the contact and glanced over at him with fearful eyes. “Wh-What are you-”

 

“Relax, this will be more fun than any movie you've ever seen.” He smirked.

 

At that moment your body began to tremble. You didn’t want this. Jay wasn’t the type of guy you thought he was after all. Oh boy, Hea was so going to get it after this was over.

 

You awkwardly laughed and placed your free hand on his arm to push him off. There were far too many people in the theatre and as much as you wanted to dump the entire bag of popcorn on his repulsive face, that just wouldn’t be appropriate.

 

“Don’t be shy baby.” He chuckled, returning his hand to its previous position before leaning in to attach his lips to your neck.

 

“S-Stop…” you whispered, though you were certain he could hear you loud and clear.

 

He smiled against your neck and began nipping on the sensitive skin. You shut your eyes as a strong sense of nausea filled your body.

 

“I SAID STOP YOU ERT!” You screamed, getting up to your feet and dumping the remaining popcorn (and what was remaining of his drink) on his head.

 

For a few moments, it seemed as if he couldn’t grasp the reality of what just happened. But eventually, the look of shock on his face was quickly interchanged with one of annoyance and humiliation.

 

“.” He spat, before exiting the theatre and mouthing obscenities under his breath.

 

You stood there baffled and appalled. Just when you were starting to enjoy this date, something had to ruin it. It was too good to be true after all.

 

I shouldn’t have agreed to this. I shouldn’t have-

 

“YAH! GO STAND AT HOME WILL YA? WE CAN’T SEE!” someone yelled from the back. It was quickly followed by several other howls and hollers which knocked you out of your thoughts. You hastily sunk back into your seat, covering your face with the hood of your coat.  Although the movie seemed to be getting good, the mood was positively ruined at this point and you wanted nothing more than to leave. You slyly got to your feet and hunched over in order to walk through the aisle without disturbing the movie-goers. Just when you thought you made it out safe, you stumbled over someone’s feet and landed face first on the ground.

 

Of course.

 

You glanced back at the man to apologize and expected to see a scowling face, but all you saw was a face hidden behind sunglasses and a scarf.

 

What the hell.

 

This stranger seemed to be disguised, though you weren’t quite sure why. It wasn’t like anybody could see anything inside the darkened theatre (except for the film of course).

 

“Stupid girl.” He scoffed, before turning his attention back to the screen.

 

You furrowed your brows and got up to your feet, dusting off your clothes and giving the stranger one last dirt-filled look before taking your leave. There was no point in starting a fight with him, your mood was inexplicably terrible and you still had to go home and yell at Hea for ruining your night. You sighed at the thought of all the work you could’ve completed had you not agreed to this sad excuse of a date.

 

Just as you turned around to walk up the steps, your vision suddenly left you. All the lights in the room, including the screen, simultaneously turned off.  Before you could interpret the situation, a hand closed around your mouth and dragged you out of the theatre. Your eyes widened in fear and an inaudible scream left your lips as you kicked and thrashed your perpetrator.

 

“LET ME UMFH-”

 

The man stuffed some sort of cloth in your mouth and you began to gag, unable to fight the figure that had now pulled you outside and into the back alley of the theatre. The intense lights from the street disorientated you as you finally pried open your eyes. What you saw terrified you to no end.

 

The man was wearing a mask that showed nothing but his dark livid eyes. He looked angry, really angry. What caught your eye though was the shiny glint of something in his hand. You let out a frightened whimper once you realized what the said item was. Once the man pulled you closer, you were somehow able to knee him in the stomach. He groaned and you took this time to roughly push him away.

 

"Wh-Who are you? Why are you doing this!?" your voice was dry and course in your throat.

 

The man smirked and adjusted the mask which seemed to be tightly fastened to his face. The silver knife in his hand shone under the faint glow of a nearby street lamp and you suddenly lost the ability to breathe.

 

This person was going to hurt you.

 

And you couldn't do anything about it.

 

“Pl-Please!  you have the wrong person!” you felt hot tears sting your eyes. The man stepped forward and grasped your chin, tilting it upwards and smirking at your reaction. “No, you seem like the perfect match.” He said, twirling a strand of your hair between his dirt-filled fingers.

 

“Though.” He took a step back and glanced at you up and down. “You’re not bad looking, a part of me wants to keep you for myself.” He laughed.

 

“How does that sound, huh? Sweetcheeks.”

 

You glanced behind your shoulder and swallowed. If you were quick, you could make a run for it. But that was probably a bad idea, this guy seemed dangerous. He would surely catch you in no time.  The fear was enveloping your body and you were having a difficult time articulating coherent thoughts. But you had to think of something; you had to get out of this somehow.

 

Think. Think. Please think.

 

You glanced down at your bag, its contents scattered along the dirty alley. One particular item caught your attention.

 

Perfect.

 

“I-I’m really shy. I’ve never had a boyfriend before.” You said, not breaking eye contact with the pepper spray on the ground.

 

“Aigooo, are you?” he chuckled. “You don’t seem like the shy type sweetcheeks.”

 

You didn’t respond.

 

“Well alright, I like the shy.” He smiled, leaning over to offer his hand. “I’m Guozhi, and you are?”

 

“Jung Hye, Kim Jung Hye.” You smiled, reaching over to grasp his hand.

 

“It’s nice to meet-”

 

Before he could finish his sentence, you pulled aside his hand while using your leg to trip his body over your side. He fell to the ground behind you and you quickly scrambled to the ground, opening the lid to the pepper spray.

 

“Well that wasn’t very nice-”

 

“This won’t be either!” you screamed, holding the nozzle down and spraying him straight in the eyes. He covered his face with his hands and let out a loud groan. You took this time to quickly gather your things and sprint the other way. You ran as fast as you could; glancing behind your shoulder every so often to make sure he had lost your trail.

 

Just when you thought you were home free, a group of men in black suits stopped you in your path. You frantically turned around to see a not so friendly-faced Guozhi staring back at you.

 

“I guess we can’t be friends after all, can we?” he said, rubbing his eyes.

 

Why was this happening to you? Why you.

 

Someone.

 

Anyone.

 

Please Help.

 

 


Authors Note:

Suprise! Double update woohoo.