PROLOGUE

When Our Paths Align

                                                                                          

 

                                                                                                                

“Come on! It’ll be fun!” Hea insisted.

 

“I told you, I have to prepare the new curriculum I don’t have time.”

 

“New curriculum? What could you possibly have to teach to preschool kids other than how not to their pants and how to keep their drool in their slimy little mouths!” Hea yelled.

 

You rolled your eyes. Being a preschool teacher wasn’t as straightforward as everyone let it on to be. First of all, there were major hurdles you had to cross over to even become a preschool teacher. That included police checks, rigorous security, and even a physical body exam. You failed to understand why the exam was a necessary component, what could you possibly do to the kids? Hug them to death?  Secondly, since the student body was so… well young, there was no telling how they would react to everyday situations! One minute they’re smiling like little angels, next minute their blood-curdling screams are echoing off the walls. And let’s not forget about the ‘little surprises’ they leave in their pants. Seriously! Are parents even aware of the term ‘potty-trained’?

 

“Don’t blame the kids!” you yelled. “It’s the parents who need reality checks. You know what? That gives me an idea.  Maybe I should write a book called ‘How not to be an parent’ step 1…” you trailed off.

 

“AISHH!” Hea scrunched up her hair.

 

“What??”

 

She took a deep breath and placed her hand on yours. “Jung Hye-yah darling, listen.” You raised a brow at her sarcastic tone but decided to take note nonetheless.

 

“You haven’t been with a man since we were in high school. At this point, you’re going to die alone.” She stated sadly. “Or even worse… a !” she screeched, placing her hand over her heart.

 

You opened your mouth to say something but were quickly shushed by a demanding finger. “No shhh, mama’s speaking.”

 

You shut your eyes and began to breathe through your nose. Even though you two were now in your twenties, your best friend Hea was still the melodramatic attitude-filled girl you first met back in your early years of schooling.

 

“The gods have granted you a gift.” She cried, getting up and twirling in her little nightgown.

 

You stared at her blankly. “…Where’s the gift? Is it money? Cause we still haven’t paid our rent and-”

 

“NO PABO! IT’S ME.” she spat.

 

“Oh.”

 

“Could you be any less overwhelmed please?” she sighed, following you as you picked up the dirty laundry off the floor. Hea was losing her patience and grabbed you by the shoulders to face her. “I’m serious! I have an acquaintance I could set you up with!  He’s hot, smart, and I hear he’s good in bed.” She winked, emphasizing the last part.

 

Your face grew bright red. “As if that last part matters!” you yelled.

 

She laughed and leaned her elbow against your shoulder. “It does. I would know. I’ve done everything imaginable.” She said proudly. “Infact, just last week I did it in the backseat of a car.” She whispered in your ear.

 

“You’re disgusting.” You said, pushing her away.

 

“Oh darling, maybe you’re just too innocent.”

 

Hea may be crazy, but she wasn’t entirely wrong. 

 


Authors Note:

Who could be the blind date? i'll give you a hint, it's not who you think it is.