IV

When Our Paths Align

                                                                      

The Audi sped along the highway, making the rural road appear far hazier than reality. Your mind was spinning; a thousand questions were left answered. Gazing at the rear view mirror, you watched as the city gradually faded into the mist.

 

“Where are you taking me?”

 

“To the house.”

 

“No. Take me home.”

 

Kai glanced at you in the passenger’s seat, and then focused his eyes back on the road. “I can’t do that.”

 

“I said, take me home.” You reiterated, your voice now clear and harsh.

 

The boy let out a sigh then drove the car off the road, putting it into park and shifting his body towards yours. “Listen, I know this isn’t your idea of a hot first date.” He stated, smiling at your astonished gaze.

 

“Excuse me-“

 

“Okay, not a date. But the point is that I can’t let you go home. At least, not yet.”

 

You furrowed your brows and scoffed, reaching over to unbuckle your seatbelt. As you opened the passenger door, you felt a hand on your wrist.

 

“You’re not safe.” He said.

 

“Let me go.”

 

He let go of your wrist, bringing his hands up in front of him. You glanced back at him, then at your bag, grabbing it and slipping it over your body. There was a slight moment of disorientation where you felt your legs might give out, but you fought it.  After shutting the door, you found yourself in the middle of an unmarked highway. Though you had agreed to get in the car earlier, you now realized it was a lost cause. To begin, you had no idea who this Kai guy was and now you were somewhere in the outskirts of Seoul.

 

Home.

 

Home was all that you could think about, nothing else should’ve mattered right now, right?

 

Wrong.  You couldn’t get those thoughts of your head. How many hours? How many hours had you spent in that shack, tied up and gagged. Your body felt weak, malnourished even. Why had this happened, who was behind it? In hindsight, this act of abduction seemed far more complex than simply a mere disagreement between two co-workers, which is what Kai claimed it was.

 

There was more to it. Infact, all arrows pointed to one person. Kris Wu.

 

“Where are you going to go? There’s no city for miles.” Kai exclaimed from behind you.  It didn’t matter, you would find out the truth.

 

“You can’t go to the police.” he stated several times during the drive. Whoever these people were they seemed to be influential enough to intercept a police report or complaint.

 

“So, let me get this straight. You won’t tell me anything and I can’t report this to the police? What do you suggest then? Should I walk away? Pretend like I wasn’t held as a hostage for 26 hours?” you spat.

 

“That would be best, yes.”

 

Your white sneakers grew filthier with every step. The road seemed impossibly long, or maybe that was the dehydration talking.

 

“Jung Hye!” Kai called.

 

Ignore him. Keep walking.

 

“Listen!” he said, running up to your side. “Come with me.” he placed his hands on his knees to catch his breath.

 

“I don’t want-“

 

“You’ll find out everything you want to know at the house. I promise.” He said, standing upright now.

 

His eyes scanned yours, searching for agreement. “Please.”

 

≫≫≫

“This will sting.”

 

The peroxide began to seep into your wounds, effectively killing the bacteria yet producing no tangible response.

 

Kyungsoo gazed up at you, a smile forming on his heart shaped lips. “You’re very brave Miss Jung Hye.”

 

His eyes caught yours and you faked a smile. Kai had brought you to a house-might you say mansion, which you could only assume belonged to Kris Wu. The manor itself was quite secluded and essentially situated in the middle of some forest.

 

You were first introduced to Zhang Yixing; who seemed very distraught at your appearance. Then Kai introduced you to Do Kyungsoo, Kris’ personal physician.

 

“Alright, you’re good to go.” The doctor said as he disposed of the bloody gauze. “Now then, I understand you have some questions for me?”

 

You turned to look at Kai, who gave you a small nod. Kyungsoo smiled, as if this wasn’t the first time his services had been required, though it had never been quite quite like this.

 

“Well then, should we begin?” he stepped off his stool and took off his white coat and glasses. He grabbed the cardigan that was hanging on one of the hooks.

 

“Kris Wu isn’t who you think he is, Miss Jung Hye. In fact, any conclusions you’ve made so far most likely do not cover the scope of his-“

 

“He’s a gang member. Or was, for that matter.” You stated.

 

Kyungsoo looked at you wide-eyed then his eyes shifted towards Kai. Both men smiled at each other. “Well I must say I underestimated you, you are correct. However, Kris wasn’t just a gang member, he was their leader.”

 

It was your turn to be surprised.

 

“That’s right. Kris Wu- or Wu Yifan, was the leader of The Black Dragons. This group was a master of organized crime all over China; drug-trafficking, ion, gambling, contract murders, you name it. There were several of these gangs, all known however to be part of the Black Society.”

 

He walked over to the kitchen and placed a teapot on the stove. “While there were many of these gangs, The Black Dragons were surely on top. From their product quality to their experienced members, this group surely dominated the black market. However, when word got out  of their success, things quickly became quite… well bloody.”

 

“People were killed?” you asked, voice nearly caught at the back of your throat.

 

Kyungsoo glanced at you over his shoulder. “These gangs, they work much like a business, minus the ethics of course. You see, in the corporate world when one company steals your business, what do you do? Well, you refine your product, and then eventually beat them at their own game.  But in organized crime, to get on top there’s only one thing everyone stands by; killing.”

 

You let out a breath and glanced down at the counter in front of you. Kyungsoo walked over and placed a cup of tea in front of you, pulling out his stool in order to take a seat.

 

“All of that is in the past now. Kris is no longer a gang leader as you might’ve guessed at the premiere. But, a person’s past can never really be erased. ” He sighed.

 

You wrapped your hands around the teacup and took a sip, letting the warm liquid comfort your insides. Though, you felt anything but comfortable at the moment.

 

Kyungsoo watched as your frightened gaze lingered around the cup.

 

“This is quite a sight isn’t it, Kai?”

 

The latter looked up at his senior with confusion before realizing the implication behind his statement. He chuckled in agreement.

 

“You see Miss Jung Hye, you are the first woman to set foot inside the Wu manor. You can imagine how amusing this must be for us.”

 

Your eyebrows burrowed in confusion. “First woman? As in the first woman ever?”

 

He smiled. “Well you see, Mr. Wu is a very secretive man. He limits his contacts to only those who are of absolute necessity to him. That being: his doctor, bodyguard, and publicist.”

 

“Why are you telling me this?” You asked, quite irritable at the subject of conversation.

 

His smile quickly faded as he took a sip of his tea. “I’m telling you this because you’re no longer safe, Miss Jung Hye.”

 

≫≫≫

 

It had been several minutes since anybody had spoken a word. The three boys exchanged glances with each other, unsure of how to proceed.

 

“Jung Hye, do you have somebody missing you?” Yixing inquired.

 

That brought you to your senses. “Hea.” You uttered. Kyungsoo made a face at Kai and the latter seemed to catch on. “I’ll get your bag.” Kai said. Seconds later, you were rummaging through your bag. Once you found your phone, you switched it on and sure enough, there were 6 missed calls; all from Hea. You sighed and pressed voicemail, holding your phone away from your ear as Hea was in hysterics on the other line. After the voicemails ended, you pressed ‘call’ on her contact name and waited for it to go through. Suddenly, a small beep was heard and you glanced at your phone; dead battery.

“.”

Kai raised his brows. “I think I may have a charger for that. Give me a second.” He said before disappearing into another room. Meanwhile Kyungsoo suggested you stay put until he whips you up something to eat. Food sounded marvelous right now so you agreed, it felt like you hadn’t eaten for days.

 

Minutes later, Kai strolled out the room at the end of the hallway. You decided to get up and meet him halfway, the house was so large you felt it would be easier if the residents used scooters or something. As Kai grew closer, your vision grew fuzzy. Dark patches appeared in front of your eyes and your knees buckled. Soon you lost control of your lower body. Then before you knew it, everything went dark.

 

 

 


A/N

Hello!

It's been ages I know! I finally got the chance to update this story as I've been so busy with uni. Ugh why must I suffer so... Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. We finally get to see a little bit of Kris' past, though its not nearly the whole story.Stay tuned for more-until next time! ♥