VI

When Our Paths Align

 

“I hope you’re well rested Miss Jung Hye.” Kyungsoo said, placing a generous plate of pancakes in front of you.

 

“Thank you.” You managed a smile before taking a bite. “Oh my god.” You let out, admiring the heavenly pancakes. Though, you quickly became conscious of your outburst.

 

The groups of men- including Kris might you add, were gazing at you. “S-Sorry. The pancakes are very good.” You whispered, quite obviously embarrassed.

 

The rest of the boys chuckled and nodded in agreement. Kyungsoo smiled, feeling proud of his creation. Kris simply ignored you, returning his attention to the morning paper.

 

“Hey, Jung Hye-sshi!” Onew called. You turned to him with your cheeks still full of food, unable to speak; you let out an awkward squeak.

 

He chuckled. “Did you know you’re pretty cute?”

 

You nearly choked on your food.

 

The boys loudly laughed, but Onew soon went quiet as Jonghyun and Key smacked him. Kai and Taemin smiled while Kris seemed agitated by the whole situation.  Kyungsoo handed you a tall glass of milk and you took it, thanking him internally while your face grew red.

 

Oh how you wished you could go home.


≫≫≫

 

After breakfast concluded, Kai and the other boys took their leave; leaving you, Kyungsoo, Yixing, and Kris still at the dining table. Kyungsoo began to gather the dishes and Kris shifted over to the sofa.

 

“How are you feeling now Miss Jung Hye?” Kyungsoo asked. You picked up your empty plate and handed it to him, a smile forming on your lips. “Much better. Thanks for breakfast Doctor, it was delicious.” He laughed, “Call me Soo.”

 

An awkward giggle left your lips. Yeah, right.

 

Unexpectedly, Yixing appeared in front of you. “Noona! Here are your clothes!” he smiled. You hesitantly took the bag from him and peered inside “My clothes?”

 

“Yes, well Kris hyung thought you might want to shower so he sent me to get these clothes for you.” he stated. You glanced over at Kris who seemed to be blocking the world out-as per usual.

 

“T-Thanks.”

 

He nodded. “But noona, does that mean you’re leaving now?”

 

“Yes.” You stated without delay. He pouted and crossed his arms over his chest. “Can’t you stay for dinner? Kyungsoo makes amazing pasta you have to-”

 

“Sorry Yixing. It’s time I leave.” You interrupted.

 

“Let her leave if she wants to.” Kris stated rudely. You turned to look at him and made a face. After getting up to your feet, you walked over to the living room area and handed him the bag. “Thanks for the concern, but I’d rather shower at home.” You stated. He scoffed and pushed away the bag “Keep it.”

 

This guy…

 

You were seriously getting tired of his attitude. Without another word, you headed towards the bedroom and shut the door behind you.

 

“Why do you always have to be so mean gege!” Yixing said. Kris glared at him and directed his attention back to his book.

 

 

After some time, a knock was heard on your door and you limped over to open it; it was Kyungsoo and Yixing.

 

“There, all done.” Kyungsoo said as he changed your brace. He gave you a list of medicines to take in order to keep the healing of your wounds steady and then announced his leave.

 

“Thank you again, Kyungsoo.” 

 

“Bye noona, I’ll miss you!” Yixing said, getting ready to engulf you in his embrace. Thankfully he was stopped by Kyungsoo who managed to drag the overly –emotional boy out of the room. You smiled to yourself. Although the last few days had been rough, these people were genuinely nice. With the exception of one person of course.

 

After a quick look in the mirror, you decided to change into the clothes Kris gave you after all. Mostly because you didn’t want Hea to freak out when you get home, but also because you were starting to resemble Kangyul; the 4 year old in your class who likes to eat dirt.

 

Sometime later, you timidly walked out of the room and headed towards the front door. As you were slipping on your shoes, you noticed Kris sitting by the grand fireplace smoking yet another cigarette. Seriously, how did he not have lung cancer by now?

 

Disgusting.

 

 He seemed to read your thoughts and put out his cigarette in the ash tray beside him. He glanced at you briefly and you looked away, hoping that he didn’t notice. Of course, he did.

 

"Before you go... let me give a piece of advice” he said. You finished tying the laces of your right boot and stood up to your feet.

 

Really? Advice from you? This should be interesting.

 

He placed his book on the coffee table and crossed his arms over his chest. “For future reference, don't be an idiot and risk your life for people you don't know. Especially for someone like me.”

 

You scoffed at his arrogance. Just when you thought you could maybe, perhaps thank him for yesterday, he had to go and ruin it.  

 

“I’ll keep that in mind.” you retorted.

 

“I hope that you do.” He said, taking another step in your direction. “Just so you know, if I was in your place I would’ve walked away without looking back.” He stated nonchalantly.

 

A chuckle left your lips and you glanced back at him. “But, you didn’t.”

 

“What was that?”"

 

Glancing at the ground, you took another step towards him. “I said, you didn’t walk away.”

 

His confused gaze remained on the wall next you as he placed his hands in his pockets. It wasn’t difficult to tell that he was slightly embarrassed at the fact that he’d just contradicted himself.

 

Yeah, he totally forgot. He had saved you.

 

“Well…uh-”

 

“Thanks.” You interrupted. “For getting me out of there. I appreciate it.” you said, tone now softer. He glanced at you wide-eyed before clearing his throat.

 

“Well, I didn't do it for you." he stated, hands returning to his pockets.

 

A sigh left your lips. Could he never speak to you with a hint of courtesy? “Right, of course you didn’t. Well… goodbye then, Mr. Wu.” You replied half-heartedly. Securing your bag on your shoulder, you your heels and headed for the door.

 

“Wait." he said.

 

Aishhh! What now?

 

You shut your eyes before turning around with a forced smile painted on your lips. Kris removed his hands from his pockets and began to massage his left palm. “…I said I’d give you a ride.”

 

You sighed, not before noticing his awkward body language though. “And I said I don’t need you to give me a ride. I can manage on my own. Goodbye-”

 

"I wouldn't be the one driving you. Peter would."

 

"Peter?... Oh, your chauffer?”

 

“He's actually my cook, chauffer, and... well he takes care of everything basically. Because I can't-"

 

"Take care of yourself?" you scoffed, though it quickly interchanged with a smile. The smile part was accidental of course.

 

Kris couldn’t help but smile at your slip. Though, he too caught himself before you could take notice. After clearing his throat, he pulled out his phone and sent a text.

 

"I just texted him. He'll be ready for you in a bit."

 

You nodded, deciding that it was better to comply then start another pointless fight. Besides, it wasn’t Peter you felt strange around, it was Kris. Though you weren't exactly sure what it was about him that made you feel so… what was word? Unsure?

 

After about a minute or so the awkward environment had reached its high. Kris cleared his throat yet again and you did the same. What was taking Peter so long?

 

"I think… I'm going to wait outside."

 

As you your feet you felt him grab your wrist and your eyes widened. He immediately realized the severity of his actions and retracted his hand, internally cursing at himself for the unintentional skinship. 

 

"Can I ask you something?" Kris asked.

 

What the hell is up with this guy? You thought.

 

What the hell am I doing? Kris thought.

 

You turned around and crossed your arms over your chest, just in case he’d want to get touchy again. While he did save your life, that absolutely did not mean you were friends. Frankly, you wanted to tell him off for grabbing you like that, but decided against it.

 

He took a step towards you. “When Guozhi let you go free, why didn’t you just leave?”

 

You shrugged your shoulders, not wanting to elaborate further. That didn’t seem like enough for him, he took another step. “There must be a reason.” His body grew closer to yours and while you noticed the invasion of space, Kris didn’t seem all that phased by it anymore.

 

"Well...I just don’t like seeing people in pain. I knew they were hurting you and I just couldn’t turn a blind eye to it. I had to do something.” You surprised yourself with your words.

 

Kris gave you a bewildered look. Almost as if your philosophy was one he had never heard before. Though just yesterday he had done the same for you. Your eyes met his again and you let your arms rest by your sides. “I could ask you the same thing Mr. Wu."

 

He looked taken aback now, as if the answer to your question was something he could not articulate so effortlessly. Perhaps because he had asked himself that question numerous times since yesterday.

 

Initially, Kris didn't care what happened to you. He just wanted to settle his disputes with Guozhi, infact he knew that Guozhi wasn’t the type to simply let his hostages go free. Much to his surprise, he did let you go and he couldn't deny the feeling of relief when you walked past him, free and no longer under the treacherous gaze of his former members. Normally, he didn't care for others well-being as he once proudly held the title Guozhi holds now.

 

But ever since yesterday, something felt different inside of him. He'd be lying if he said he'd had many women over. Truth be told, you were the first.  For as long as he could remember, no feminine charm was able to surpass the steel walls he’d built up around himself. Wealth, beauty, ; all of that was meaningless to him.

 

But, there was something about you... something that he felt he needed to protect. To guard, to defend.

 

Unknowingly, his feet began to move by their own accord. His hand reached out to your cheek, grazing the fresh scar underneath your eye.

 

You flinched and your eyes widened, fear and curiosity building up within you. Countless thoughts ran through your mind as Kris inched closer... and closer to you. His eyes now at level with yours, you grabbed on to the side of your dress and swallowed hard.

 

Kris maintained eye contact with you, impervious to your fearful stare.

 

Pound

 

Pound

 

Pound

 

Your heart was out of control.

 

What the hell is happening. He’s not about to kiss me, is he?

 

As his eyes fluttered shut, you were sure.

 

H-He’s going to kiss me.

 

And just before your lips met, a breathless whisper was released.

 

"Please..."

 

 


A/N

Oh snap. What now Kris? ain't so tough now are ya?

Hello! I've been updating a lot lately to make up for the semi-hiatus. I hope you're liking the direction so far?