Chapter 5: Conflicted and Blind

A Demon's Heart

Hello! It's been quite a while since I've written something for this story. But it's not abandoned and it won't be so don't worry <3 Anyhow, in case some of you have forgotten what happened in this fic: Seokjin went missing and the rest of BTS searched for him. Jungkook found his dead body later on. However, is surprised to recieve a call from Seokjin who is supposedly dead. ​


The moon is waning.​

T​he raven haired observed as he stares blankly at the night sky. Beside him was a dead body with the image of the person he loved the most. He was at the edge of a cliff and the raging waves of the sea below him. Ready to throw the corpse down, to let it sink and let no one find it. No one had seen him as he left the place, he was like a shadow. He diverted his attention to the cold figure in his arms and his heart swelled.

Whether it was truly his hyung or not, he didn't like the sight of it. He didn't like his hyung to die. He was so glad when Seokjin called—he didn't want to question it anymore. All that mattered is that he's alive. That's everything he cares about at the moment. Jungkook was going to lean on that. He's going to tell himself that it's truly Seokjin and that he's really alive. And that this splitting image of his hyung is a fake, an illusion or anything.

Because the thought of Seokjin dying kills Jungkook.

And that's why he's here because he's going to throw away all the evidence of Seokjin's death—of the corpse he found. So that no one would know, h​e reasoned to himself. And deep inside, he hated the sight of it. He would ignore the rational side of him that questioned the situation, that screamed of deception. Because that logical side of him states that being with Seokjin might be dangerous.

Hyung is alive. This is just a trick made by another demon. This one is fake.

But why would they fake his body then?

It must be some kind of trap used against me or anything else. I don't care. It's not hyung's dead body.

But what if Seokjin-hyung is some kind of demon? Or what if his voice through the phone was faked? After all, you couldn't see his face, he could be faking it.

It doesn't matter to me. Hyung is alive, that's all that matters.


Jungkook was not one to think rationally when it comes to Seokjin. He would defy any law, ignore all the possibilities and forget everything just for the man. So he's going to throw away this fake body or illusion, ​as he ​liked to believe, into the depths of the ocean and be eternally forgotten.

When he was finished with his task of throwing the dead body and blood-stained clothes along with it, he swiftly left the area to head towards the park, the location he told his hyung that he'd be in. At the moment, he was wearing a new set of clothes—stolen from an unsuspecting boutique when he passed by on his way. One of the perks of being a demon is the ability to hide one's presence.


He heard the familiar sound of a honking car. He turned to see the black car that his hyung owned. With both his hands tucked in his pockets, he jogged towards the car where the object of his affection smiled at him through the opened window.

"Sorry for making you wait so long." Seokjin apologized. It was really Seokjin, the same dazzling smile, same soft voice and there was nothing out of place. It was the same kind and endearing Seokjin he knew so well, yet Jungkook couldn't help the fact that his hands are trembling and curled into fists.

He's doubting Seokjin.

He was snapped out of his conflicting thoughts when Seokjin asked whether he was coming inside the car or not. Faking a laugh, he scratches the back of his head and enters the vehicle, taking the seat beside Seokjin's. Right after making sure that he's buckled up, Seokjin restarted the engine and started driving.

"Why are you here anyway, hm?" Seokjin asked, eyes focused on the road, "It's so far. How'd you even get here? I won't believe you if you say that you got here by foot. It took me longer and I'm even driving a car."

"I took the bus." Jungkook lied, eyes trained towards his hyung—observing him, trying to look for a clue of some sort. What kind of clue? He didn't know. Just anything that would clarify if beside him was truly Seokjin or not—an assurance.

Why are you questioning it? Shouldn't you be happy that Seokjin-hyung is here? That's the real Seokjin.

But what if he isn't? You can't be too sure. The world is full of deception.

Are you telling yourself that that gentle smile and soft voice is all fake? So it's like you're saying that the real Seokjin is a cold body at the bottom of the ocean.

Stop these ing thoughts, ​
Jungkook had his eyes closed frustratedly as he tried to silence his doubts.

"Jungkook, are you okay? You're sweating quite a lot." He opened his eyes to see Seokjin casting him a worried gaze. The elder made a move to turn the car's air conditioner up, "Is this cold enough for you now? Sorry, hyung's car must be too hot for you. I forgot. You were sensitive to heat, right?"

It can't be just an act, right? This is the real Seokjin-hyung, right?


​"No, it's fine hyung." Jungkook wiped the sweat he didn't know had started falling down from his forehead, "Don't mind me. Just keep driving."

"If you say so." Seokjin didn't look convinced but he diverted his attention towards the road, "By the way, have you eaten? Jimin and the others haven't eaten when they went home. I supposed you haven't as well."

"Yeah, I haven't yet." I was searching for you the whole day.​

"Well, I actually cooked something at home, the others were eating when I left to get you." Seokjin replied, "Do you want to come home with me? I could call your hyung—Shin-hyung, right? We exchanged numbers earlier. And besides, I think Jimin would be delighted to have you over."

Is it really safe to go?

Of course, why not? It's Seokjin-hyung's house.

"You're okay with a sleepover?" Jungkook asked, "But it's Tuesday, we have class tomorrow."

"Of course. That makes things better because I'm going to make sure you three are going to school." Seokjin said, sounding a lot like a parent, "My schedule is free tomorrow so I can c​ook you breakfast and pack your lunches and bring you three to school. I've heard a lot from Namjoon and Hobi that you three skip classes a lot. I'm disappointed."

"Three? Taehyung's sleeping in too?" Jungkook raised an eyebrow. He was surprised, honestly, due to the fact that Seokjin usually doesn't allow the three of them an overnight at his and Jimin's shared house, especially in weekdays.

Don't you think it's suspicious? Seokjin-hyung usually won't approve of these things.

Maybe it's just a coincidence.

But it cannot be overlooked. Surely this sudden change of thought and that cold body can't both be coincidences, can they?

I'm overthinking things.


Jungkook curls his hands into fists, gripping it too hard that they almost bled. He's confused, he's conflicted, he's worried.

Why don;t you just try and found out? Ask him where he was.

"Hyung."
​ He spoke softly, almost like a whisper. As if he was afraid to break the fragile silence between them. Why was he afraid? He didn't know. Perhaps because he was scared that everything might shatter into peices and he'd wake up to the reality that his hyung is truly dead? But surely this isn't a dream, is it? Or perhaps he fears that everything would distort and he'd end up caught by his enemy's trap.

"Hm? What is it, Kookie?"

"Where were you today?" Jungkook asked, glancing towards Seokjin, "We were looking for you all day." I was looking for you all day. I was so worried 'cause I thought you had been dead.

"Today?" Seokjin paused for a while, and suddenly there's a thick, uncomfortable silence between them. Jungkook felt nervous. In this silence, his ears are ringing and his heart beating too fast that he was afraid that it might explode out of his chest. He felt nauseous, and his lungs about to burst, causing him to almost hyperventilate.

It took almost what felt like eternity before he finally had a response from Seokjin, "That's strange.

"What is?"

"I can't remember." Seokjin said, eyebrows furrowed as he tried to think hard, "I don't remember, Kookie."
 
Suspicious, isn't it?

"Are you sure, hyung?" Jungkook inquired worriedly. But he tried to keep the tension light, "Perhaps you're growing old, hyung?"

No, hyung is just confused.

"Yah, what do you think you're saying to your hyung?" Seokjin pouted as he scolded lightly before he smiled, "Maybe I slept for the whole day? Who knows, yesterday was absolutely tiring."

How long are you going to ignore everything? How long are you going to deny these obvious clues?

"Before you know it, you'll be growing gray hairs." Jungkook smiled playfully.

That's enough. This is Seokjin-hyung. He's alive and that's all that matters. Let's forget about everything else.

Seokjin turned the wheel as they come to the corner and his house was finally in sight. Jimin was seen opening the gates for them and Seokjin parked the car in his garage. Seokjin talked animatedly as he was greeted by hugs and flying kisses from Jimin and Taehyung. The raven haired headed inside to satisfy his grumbling stomach with whatever was left of dinner.

And in Seokjin's home, where Jungkook has been accustomed to for a long time, holds the same warmth it always had. It made him feel safe, secure and assured. The food he tastes at the moment, his senses would never betray him, truly it was the taste of Sekjin's cooking. Jungkook would know. All of this, it all screamed Seokjin.

He felt relieved.

But deep inside, there was a lingering feeling. He knows, he knows. Something is off.

But it doesn't matter, Seokjin is alive.

That's all that matters.

Jeon Jungkook, you're digging your own grave.

And​ that night was peaceful. Seokjin had allowed them to stay overnight. The three maknaes trashed around the house, running like toddlers and getting scolded by Seokjin. It was alright though, for when all of them finally huddled in bed, the soft sheets smelling like Seokjin's fabric conditioner.

A sudden feeling erupted within Jungkook, hot and boiling. A feeling so familiar that it couldn't be mistaken. He bites his lips as he tries to control it. His body is reacting and he tries to hold it back, to control it. But it can't be helped. His eyes flashed open, crimson red in the dark.

This presence. There's no doubt about it.

There's another demon in this house.

 

And tada~ That's all for now. Yeah, it's short. I know. I'm sorry. But I hope you guys liked that. Confusing? Sorryyyy~ That's how the chapter was supposed to be. But you guys will get to know the truth...someday xD This story still has a long way to go, it's just the beginning. But anyways, thank you everyone~ Love ya'll.