The Promise After Death

Woogyu One shot collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

The two were standing at the edge of the cliff, “We will be together in our next life, won’t we?” The younger smiled and assured the older. “But what if I couldn’t recognize you or you couldn’t recognize me? What if we don’t remember anything?”

 

“I will. I promise that” The older smile and held the younger’s hand tighter. He nodded his head, “Me too”

 

The both of them took a deep breath and jumped down from the cliff.

 

.

.

 

“Hah!”

 

Woohyun woke up with sweat all over. He looked around and let a relief sigh as he was in his room. He had been dreaming the same thing for over three years, the same dream, the same words, the same place and the voice.

 

 “—hyung…“

 

Who could be that hyung in my dream? Why did he always appear in my dream? Why we were on the cliff? Why would we jump off— the image of him and the ‘hyung’ jumped down sent him shiver. He shook his head and got up from his bed.

 

He stopped when he entered the office. It was just like usual but then he felt unusual today. His heart was beating fast and he felt uncomfortable all of sudden. Someone is watching me. He turned his body but there was no one; everybody was busy with their work.

 

“Ya! What are you blanking in here?”

 

He blinked and lifted up his lips a bit, “Morning” He greeted his colleagues, Lee Howon. “So, what’s new today?” His colleagues smiled widely and told him what news he got yesterday. He just listened to it absent-minded and—

 

“Everyone please gather for a while.”

 

They all stopped and looked at the team leader. “Today, the new chief editor will come. As you guys have known, he was graduated from London and just moved here so—“ before he could finish his words, the door open and shown a man came in.

 

 “You have come” Team leader said and him to us. He smiled and bowed to us slightly.

 

“I’m Kim Sunggyu, the new chief editor.” He introduced himself. He looked to all of us and stopped when his eyes met mine. We both looked at each other for a split second but it felt longer than that. “Please take good care of me” He shifted his gaze and bowed.

 

I followed him with my eyes as our team leader took him around. ‘Huh?’ I must be mistaken it but… he looked this way just now.

 

Today was just another day again for me. I was stuck in the office till this late. I heaved a sigh and stopped from typing. Working in a publishing company surely isn’t easy. I massaged my temple. I lifted up my gaze and there was no one in the room already. Everybody must have left. I sighed again. I saved my work then turned off my computer.

 

I looked at the clock and cursed when it was this late. No bus will be operating anymore. I hissed and walked to the lift. I pressed the button and waiting for it to close but then there was someone blocked the closing door.

 

I watched in horror as that person was the new chief editor. ‘Why would I be in the same lift with him? But… did he also stay until this late? This is awkward. It is really awkward. I kept looking at the number going down.

 

When the lift arrived at the first floor, I hurried my steps and walked out from the building. I hailed a cab and got into it. I looked back and saw his figure at the front door. He is looking at me. I hid my body and calmed my beating heart.

 

What’s with the new chief editor? He is odd.

 

I avoided him in the office as much as I could. I didn’t want to be near him. I didn’t like being near him. I.. don’t know. Why am I like this? I meant… it’s not like he would harm me and we never met before but— why am I afraid of him?

 

.

.

 

“Are you sure with this? We can just run far away” the older pleaded. I blinked my eyes and wondered what this all but—“Woohyun ah, …..” He called my name, “…..,…………..”  What? What did you say? I couldn’t hear.

 

 

“—hyun sshi! Woohyun sshi. Nam Woohyun sshi” I opened my eyes. “Are you alright Woohyun sshi?” I jumped and felt on the floor when the new chief editor’s face came close. “Are you alright?” He rushed to my side and helped me up.

 

“I—I’m fine” He looked at me with worry but nodded and let me go. “W-why are you still here?” I asked when I saw the time on the clock. Does he always stay till this late? I wondered.

 

“Ah, I was about to go home but I saw your computer is on so I came here to see” He explained. I nodded my head. I must have dazed off while I was editing my story. “Are you going home now?” He asked as he saw me shutting down my computer.

 

“Yes, I am”

 

“Ummm… Do you… know any good restaurant around here?” I stopped from cleaning my desk and looked at him. “Ah, as you see, I am not familiar with this place so I wonder if…..”

 

I thought for a while. I haven’t had my dinner also. “I know one” He smiled widely and asked if I would be able to bring him there. “Good!” He exclaimed happily.

 

I watched in horror as he kept on pouring the drink in his mouth. He looked a bit drunk now. “Why do—you avoid me?” I scratched my neck and bit my lips. He did know I was avoiding him. “Do.. you think I will bite you or what—THUD!!“ I blinked my eyes over and over again. “He… passes out”

 

“Chief! Chief!! Wake up!” I shook him but he made no movement. Now what should I do? I groaned, lifting him up. “Hey, Chief, where do you live?” I asked but of course the pass out person didn’t reply. I shouldn’t have brought him to drink.

 

“Eung?” Sunggyu opened his eyes and stared blankly at the ceiling. Where… am I? He looked around and it wasn’t his apartment. “Ugh!” His head throbbed when he made a movement. He stopped when he felt something was off. He looked at his body and he was .

 

?!

 

He looked around frantically and searched for his shirt. There! He spotted it on the hanger. He walked down and put on his shirt hurriedly. He gathered all his stuffs and walked out from the room.

 

“Oh, you have woken up?”

 

He looked at me blinking and confused. Did he forget what had happened yesterday? I meant yeah people could forget what happen when they are drunk but he was—

 

“Woohyun sshi?” He scanned around the house before turning back to me. “Is this your house?” Now, it was my turned to look at him, surprised. Of course, this is my house, if not, whose house could it be. “I stayed here yesterday?”

 

“What?!” I asked a bit surprised. Did he really forget everything about yesterday?

 

“Umm.. I didn’t do anything inappropriately, did I? No. Wait! I am sorry…” He apologized. What was he apologizing for? He was only sleeping and yeah, he did kick me when I took off his shirt. “Then.. I’ll go first” I watched him walking here and there trying to find the door.

 

“Chief” I called and he turned to me, startled. He looks like a lost hamster. Cuuteee!!. I held myself from smiling and cough. “I made breakfast for us.” He looked appalled. His eyes roaming here and there but he walked to the dining table and sat down.

 

We ate the breakfast with silent. He didn’t say anything and he didn’t lift up his head at all. He always looked intimidate in office, they were all afraid of him because of his sharp tongue. He would scold us like hell when we made mistakes and he was also unapproachable, but— looking at him like this, I wanted to laugh.

 

People were looking at us. It was an unusual sight for them, me coming together with the chief. They all looked at us with their mouths opened a bit. Before I could sit on my chair, Howon came and asked how we both could come together.

 

“We should submit our work today or we will die” I reminded him. He gulped and went back to his desk. I sighed and started to do my work. Time passed without me knowing, and it was lunch time now. I looked at the clock and sighed. I haven’t even finished half of it and thinking to skip my lunch.

 

“Woohyun sshi, can you come to my room for a moment?” The new chief called. I nodded my head. My heart started to beat fast. What? Did I do any mistake? We still have time until the evening. I took a deep breath before entering his room.

 

“I—I need to go to this place but I had no idea how to get there, can you show—“ Why he asked me to show him the way there? He could just get into taxi and asked the ajhussi to bring him to the location.

 

“Sure, but will it be okay after I finished all my work, today is the deadline” He beamed happily and thanked me.

 

He is becoming weirder after yesterday. Why me? We only had one drink that night and he was so drunk but “You! You! Woohyunnie, you! How could you— promise…“ What did he mean with that? Did we ever meet before? I couldn’t remember if we ever met before. No. I was sure we never met before.

 

It was almost eight o’clock and I haven’t finished mine. I apologized to him and told him, “I am sorry chief but I don’t think I can accompany you today. Team leader asked me to submit it by today no matter what” He looked disappointed but said nothing.

 

I continued to do my work but he was still there. He looked at the screen and suddenly pulled a chair and sat beside me.

 

“Let me help you”

 

I was surprised with it but I let him help me. This has to be done by tonight or I would be killed by the team leader tomorrow. He bit his finger and scanned the article I wrote. He changed some parts of it and I was amazed with it. It looked better than the one I made.

 

 

“Try to read it”

 

I blinked my eyes and looked at the screen. He changed almost half of it. He is sure the perfect chief as they said. Every line sounded more interesting and it was perfect. Team leader wouldn’t be able to complain about this anymore. I smirked and sent the article to team leader.

 

“Where did you say you are going again?” I asked as I tidied up my place and shut down the computer.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter