006

The Liar Game

Previous chapter

“$5 an hour, how long do I have to work to make $500K?”

“What? Hey” Jieun wave her hand in front of Suzy’s face and shakes both of her hands to wake her up from her thoughts.

“Huh?”

“What’s on your head? What are you babbling about?” Suzy rubs her neck as she snap into the reality.

“uh right.. $5.. $5!” Both of them start to look for the money.

“Did we drop it? It shouldn’t be missing.” They starts to panic when suddenly..

“I found $5 here.” An old man says to both of them while handing a $5 bill.

“Thank you” Suzy thanks him and take the money from the old man. She take a look at his face and a surprise look take over her original expression.

“TEACHER?”

 

Flashback

“I really didn’t do it, teacher.” A young Bae Suzy said to her homeroom teacher who is sitting in front of her. The homeroom teacher looked at her and said “Yeah.. I’m also aware that you’re not the type of person to do that. But why did the class president think that you stole it?” Suzy looked at the floor before answering her teacher “Well, because I’m the only one who hasn’t paid for the class trip. The homeroom teacher just sighed at her answer.

The loud class immediately turns quiet as Suzy walks in to the class. All eyes are set on her as she walks her way to her desk, followed by some whispers. A girl with a shoulder-length hair who’s sitting at the right side of the classroom, a row behind Suzy’s seat nudged her seatmate before showing her seatmate the stolen money. “Hey, why did you do that?” the seatmate asked the girl. The girl looked at Suzy and replied “Just for fun.”

Some students rushed to their seat as their homeroom teacher walked in to the classroom. The teacher stood behind teacher’s desk and started to talk “As you all know, I received a report something bad happened in our class. But, it turned out to be a misunderstanding. Just to be sure, I looked around the field, school shop, even around the school, and I found it in the gymnasium.” The teacher pulled out a brown envelope that looks the same as the one that contained the stolen money from his pocket. Before the students could react, the teacher pulled out another brown envelope that’s addressed for Suzy from his pocket again and said “Bae Suzy, I found this near the gym locker, too. Everyone, take care of your things, jeez” The teacher put both envelope and chuckles at the class before walking out from the class.

“I can’t accept this, it’s your money.” Suzy exclaims as she put the $5 bill at her teacher’s table. The teacher who’s drinking his coffee stops and stare at her wide-eyed, “I really found it, I found it on the side of the counter. More than that, who would’ve known we’d meet again this way? How’s your father?” Suzy looks down at the mention of her father, she forced a smile before answering her teacher “Actually, my father left home, wanting to make money to pay off his debt. It’s been awhile since I lost touch with him.”

 The teacher looks at her in a pity manner and say “That’s too bad.” He sighs before continue, “ Money is always the issue. Even for me, I can’t face my family until I pay off my debt.”  

“Why not?”

“My wife and child are overseas. A teacher’s salary isn’t bad, but I unknowingly accumulated debt. I retired now and I want to stop living alone and want to be with my family.”

“I had no idea about your situation.”

The teacher laughs at her and says “But isn’t life interesting? I didn’t know I’d compete with you the first round.”

Suzy widen her eyes at the teacher and responds “EXCUSE ME?”

“Didn’t you see the chart?” The teacher pulls out a brochure-looking paper which contain the players name and the opponents name ‘Bae Suzy vs. Ji Sukjin’. “Oh my..” is Suzy’s respond, she look at her teacher.

“I heard you decided not to participate. So I was thinking, what do you think about participating? Who knows? If you get your prize on TV, your dad won’t have to run because of the debt. He may return.”

“But I have to compete with you.”

“Isn’t that better than competing against a stranger? Fortunately, the tv station doesn’t know you and I are teacher and student. So, let’s go on the Liar Game. I’ll lose on purpose.”

“Pardon?” Suzy exclaims, after hearing what her teacher said a few seconds ago.

“You’ll be the winner, and we can split the prize in half. First prize is half a million dollars.”

“But that’s… a deception” Suzy hesitated.

“Yeah, let’s deceive the TV station that’s trying to have us deceive each other. If we can trust each other completely, we can definitely walk away with half the prize. Well, people can’t trust each other, that’s why they’re lying and fighting each other. Perhaps, becoming a team with you is Heaven’s will.”

“What happens if I forfeit?” Ji Sukjin froze for a while before answering Suzy.

“What else can I do? Just think ‘It wasn’t meant to be mine’ .” Ji Sukjin chuckles and stand up from his seat, approaches Suzy and taps her shoulder before saying “Don’t be pressured.” And walks away, leaving Bae Suzy alone, pondering about her teacher’s offer.



Sorry for the hiatus, I've been busy with school stuffs (exam, project, homeworks, etc.) But I can finally update! :) Hope you, readers, like it and please do comment..

PS : I would like to say thank you to my 3 upvoters ( Meredithaan, suforlife, and Ji-hyo101) and 20 subscribers :

- xxxoooxxx8

- Gen804

- suforlife

- afernanda12

- HoneyBF_HanZy

- kyungsoozy1402

- JKM_916_v

- Meredithaan

- buing204buing

- rengmili

- miyayeah

- Baechimi-is-love

- shocobon

- Koreanluver07

- Suzyelfs

- louielyn1206

- Popkorn17

- AlwaysLast

- amandaf

- Ji-hyo101

*Sorry if there are any mistakes regarding the 20 subscribers username (misspelling, typos, or wrong usernames).