Five.

Tell Me, What Is Love?

     A week had passed since the day when her elder brother met her future-husband, Do Kyungsoo. A lot of things happened after that day — her brother actually made her to cancel all of her meetings, and assigned her to take a business trip (which probably not) with him to Okinawa. Seriously, she couldn’t believe that her dad permitted her brother to do that. Well, it just happened. Doojoon kept telling her that this might be his last chance to spend his time with his beloved youngest sister, before she turned into a married woman. So they went to swimming, spent some time on tanning the skin (Doojoon only, of course). The only thing that Yoon Bomi would strive to find in her life is food. Okinawa got plenty of good food and she’s glad for being able to enjoy them without thinking of anything.

     Oh come on, she still have that bachelor’s spirit in her soul. She herself was not really sure if she’s ready for the marriage. God, she’ve been questioning herself with the same question everyday but still can’t get the answer to that certain question. Just screw all complicated things in her mind like — what would she do when she’s officially declared as someone’s wife? How would her life be after the marriage? Will she be happy for the rest of life? Most importantly, will she be able to give her love?

     Bomi could feel the shiver coming through her spine whenever the last thought popped up in her mind. Of course, ‘love’ is important in building a happy and good marriage life but then — her marriage is just a mere business. How can she make sure herself to be able to love? Is that kind of thing possible? Love is probably not something that can be build in a short time. See? It’s complicated.

     “Ugh.” She let out a weak sigh as she leaned her head through the comfy seat. And that would be enough to wake the guy who’s sitting beside her right now. “What’s the matter, honey?” The guy asked.

     Like seriously, she just wanted to pretend that as if she didn’t hear his call. Maybe she should just pretended to sleep, or maybe having motion sickness or whatsoever so that she didn’t have to answer any kind of questions that would popped out from the guy’s mouth.

     “Come on darling. I thought that you’ve already got over with all sorts of stress that you had during our trip.” Doojoon said, half-sighing. That’s it. Bomi could never run away from her idiot-yet-so-sweet elder brother.

     “Well — It’s nothing you now. Just, um maybe I’m worrying too much. Yeah, I guess.” She kind of stuttered a bit, still not sure how to explain her current situation. Like she thought earlier, it’s complicated.

     “Don’t worry too much. You still few weeks left before you’re going to be a wife of someone. Oh my god, just by thinking of that makes me feel so emotional. Don’t you feel the same?” God. Bomi clenched her fist real tight before throwing a light punch yet powerful one to the elder’s left shoulder. He’s not being helpful at all.

     “Ow. That’s quite a tough one.” Doojoon rubbed the his shoulder which slightly in pain. Damn, he forgot that his lovely sister had the 3rd level black belt in taekwondo — she might be able to throw him off from the plane if her strength permits. “Do it again and I’ll throw you off from hundreds feet here.” Bomi strictly warned the elder. See? She’s not even kidding.

     “Okay, okay. I won’t do it again so chill, will you? Now, going back to our conversation earlier — perhaps are you worried about your life after the marriage?” Crap. Her brother knew her too well which made her felt so pissed off. She just can’t hide anything from him? Who was he on his past life? It makes her to wonder if he’s Dumbledore from Harry Potter during his past life.

     “You hit the right button again. I hate you.” Bomi said, glancing towards the visual of fluffy clouds through the window. Doojoon let out a small chuckle before replying, “Who am I again? I’m your smart, handsome and perfect elder brother. What do you expect from me?” Tch, what a self-praise.

     “Yeah, yeah. Sure you are. Except the fact that I’m marrying before you.” That statement made Doojoon to stop being over-silly. “Okay, that’s not funny.” He said. Bomi rolled her eyes annoyingly, enough to make Doojoon felt quite pissed off towards her. But then again, it’s not the time for him to build up another childish fight between them. He wants Bomi to know that she can rely on him anytime, despite the fact that she need to act like a real grown-up now.

     “Tell me, about it once again.” Doojoon said. Bomi turned to him, quite shocked to his sudden statement because she thought that Doojoon might be continuing about their little fight earlier — well she preferred the fight rather than having a real and serious conversation because she’s totally not ready for it yet.

     “Ugh, okay. About what?” Gosh, she always lost to him.

     “What kind of thought that you have about him when he crosses your mind?” There, Doojoon is really good in going smooth with his introduction. So, here we go.

     “Annoying. Down to earth, I swear.” Doojoon palmed his face, quite in frustration as she gave her answer. He expected something better though. Thank god that they’re taking the company’s private plane so only two of them were the passengers of this plane. For Pete’s sake, his sister can be so hard to read too sometimes.

     “Okay. Aside from that? Maybe something good about him, from your very own view.” This time, he’s hoping for a positive answer. Please, a good answer would be more than enough to make him feel relieved.

     “Give me some time, to think.” Bomi started to think, digging through all her super-limited-memory that she ever had with the guy named Do Kyungsoo. The only thing that she knew was Kyungsoo is absolutely a total opposite person from herself. Maybe that’s why it’s quite hard to get along with him?

     “Five seconds, starting now!” Doojoon kept the track of time with his silver-metal wristwatch. Bomi quicken her pace to think. “Uh...Uh.. Good side of him.. Positive thoughts, oh my God — what is it again!” For no reason she became panicked. Pfft, it’s not like she’s in competition or something — gosh Yoon Bomi probably won’t believe that she’s playing along with her silly brother’s Q & A game. Nonsense.

     “Four.”

     “God, what is it again seriously!”

     “Three.”

     “Think, Yoon Bomi. Think, think, think!”

     “Two.”

     Still no answer from Bomi.

     “Uh, two and a quarter.” Doojoon counted.

     “Okay, dear self. What’s the nicest thing that he’ve ever done to you?” Bomi tried to think it again. She didn’t even realize that she’s taking this seriously. By this, the flashback of the memory of Kyungsoo comforting her when her dad was hospitalized. He did a good job in calming her down. And also the time when she paid a visit to his family’s house. A slight blush formed on her cheeks when she remembered how Kyungsoo hugged her before she went back. God, she cursed a lot because of that incident. Ah, and also the time when they had a serious discussion about her wanting to cancel the marriage and Kyungsoo was so frustrated during that time. He left with an unsettling feelings, yet he still offered his coat to her — probably because she was drenched on rain. To sum up everything, Kyungsoo is a nice person even though his seriousness would make her felt quite annoyed. Maybe the fact that she thought him of her ultimate rival during high school made her to have a hard time to accept him.

     “Two... And a half.” Doojoon’s never-ending countdown brought her back to reality. Oh, she need to give an answer.

     “Finally, one.” With that, the countdown had finished and Doojoon silently gulped his own saliva freaking nervously, because he really really expecting an answer would come from his dearest intelligent sister. Oh come on, a person with a good brain should come with an appropriate answer.

     “So, what do you think about him again?” Doojoon asked for the second time. Bomi tried to compose the answer in her mind, before she spits it out one by one. “Okay.” She took a long breath. Doojoon’s shoulders were raised automatically, showing that he’s totally excited that his sister finally came up with an answer. Good answer please, he prayed.

     “He can be annoying when he’s serious. I mean, oh come on dude it’s a simple thing. Why would you take it too seriously?” Bomi spitted out the introduction of her answer. Doojoon’s lips drew a frown as he heard her. Damn, little sister.

     “But then — he’s just nice.” Bomi suddenly continued, making Doojoon to open his eyes wide, almost couldn’t believe what he’s hearing. Oh-oh. This is why he loves positivity. “Nice?” His right eyebrow was raised as he glanced at her.

     “Yeah. He’s that kind of guy. I think that you, yourself judged him like that when you met him for the first time, aren’t you?” Bomi looked at Doojoon who’s nodding his head. Yes, the guy really gave off nice vibes. Even though they only met once, it’s already enough for Yoon Doojoon to come up with a good conclusion that Do Kyungsoo seems like a reliable guy. Or he would call it as ‘husband material’ according to women’s life-dictionary.

     “I don’t know about him too much, yet I do believe that he’s a nice guy. Whenever I’m being so harsh, he still tried to be nice. Even me, myself won’t be able to do that.” Bomi was being sincere with her words, yes — she really meant it.

     “Is that enough to answer your question?” Bomi shot up a look towards Doojoon who’s currently having the ‘oh-my-god-my-baby-is-growing-well’ expression on his face. Gosh, her brother just made her to feel so embarrassed. She hates to be honest but she’s glad that she did. It kinda help though. The complicated thoughts that she’ve been having seems to fade from her mind for a while.

     “I can’t wait to be that someone’s brother-in-law.” Doojoon stated, pretending as if he’s going to cry at no time. Bomi had a good laugh because of that — damn, thank goodness that her brother was there for her. She felt like half of the burden she’ve been carrying just got lifted. It feels so nice, maybe this what people call siblings-bonding huh? Maybe next time she could ask Doojoon to teach her how to be a good wife, ha-ha.

     It took three hours for the plane to land in Seoul as the air-traffic seems quite busy that day. Now that her ‘so-called’ trip with Doojoon just ended, they’re going to go back to their old routines again. Crap, she’s going to have tons of documents and files to be examined as soon as she went back to her office. But still, she admitted that she had a good time.

     “Oh man, I’m going to ‘eat’ all the documents that they stacked on my table.” Doojoon complained with a frown. Oh yeah, a mountain of files and documents were waiting for him at his office. That goes the same to Bomi of course.

     “Chill bro. It’s your idea after all so you don’t have any right to complain, Oppa.” Ouch. Her words shot him right through the heart. “You brat! I’m only doing this for you alright!” Doojoon argued, still trying his best to keep his image as a cool elder brother. That’s what elder brother should do after all!

    “Oh whatever. Then, good brother. Shall we have a lunch-date, accompanied with colourful files and documents as our side-dishes?” Bomi said, smirking playfully. Doojoon probably understood what she’s trying to say. With a sigh,he nodded. “Oh my God, I just made a freaking good deed but why I’m being punished right now?” He’s whining and there’s Yoon Bomi, laughing non-stop because of the elder’s idiocy. It’s okay, they will go through the ‘punishment’ together.

 

 

     He finally can take a breath as his shift already ended. Today didn’t seem as hectic as how the others day would be, and he felt super-relieved because he’ve been busy since yesterday. It’s a lie if he told that he’s not tired, he freaking dealt with three patients who got caught in cardiac arrest, conducted a major surgery on a bone-fractured patient on the night and et cetera. The thing was, he’s tired.

     “Oh, heading home already?” Dr. Oh who’s heading to the opposite way greeted. The younger doctor seems to be on his break since he just finished a surgery with the orthopedic team. Kyungsoo drew a weak yet pleasant smile, “Yup. I think that I’ve used all of my energy for 28 hours.” Hearing to Kyungsoo’s statement, the guy’s eyes turned wide. “Oh my god, sunbaenim. Had a good rest then. I’ll try to cover what I can while I’m here so do have some rest.” Kyungsoo felt grateful hearing the younger resident’s words. It’s important for doctors to help each other in fulfilling their responsibilities — great teamwork in managing patients is the key of being a good doctor.

     “Thank you. I’ll make sure to treat you later.” Kyungsoo left a soft pat on the other doctor’s shoulder before setting off. He’s going to need few hours of sleep, and maybe he’ll go back to hospital as soon as he can. The hospital already felt like his home. It’s a place where he belongs.

     Beep beep.

     His phone vibrated through the pocket of his coat. He closed his eyes for a second before he finally checked the notification on his phone. 1 Message. A deep sigh escaped from his lips, the other hand was busy massaging the bridge of his nose accompanied with few lines of wrinkles on his forehead. His relieved feeling earlier faded as he read the message that was sent to him.

 

From: Mother

Come to Chrysalis Boutique, Gangnam by 6PM.
You’ll be going to try some of the best tuxedos here.
Maybe we can proceed with fitting too.
I will be waiting for you, don’t be late.

 

     Oh God, please ease everything for him. Looks like he needs to bid his goodbye to plan to sleep peacefully. Maybe he’ll get at least 4 hours of sleep, well thank goodness for that. He’s praying hard so that he won’t look like a zombie when he meets his mother later on. Wedding’s attire huh? Times really flies fast. He only had few weeks more left before his wedding day. Gulps, it’s finally coming huh?