Three.

Tell Me, What Is Love?

    “That’s it, Dad. I’m not going to do it.” Her words sounded sharp and so confident, which caused the old man in front of her stared at her blankly with an unamused expression on his face. Bomi knew, her father is totally not happy — yeah, she could see that by only seeing his face. Mr. Yoon coughed a little bit before he spoke against his eldest daughter — the one that he always thought would be his only hope to keep his legacy. But it seems like he’s wrong.


    “I thought that you’re going to do anything for my sake, for our family’s legacy. Seems like I’m wrong for trusting you in that.” His stern voice entered her ears, which also broke her heart abit. She really had this question in her head that she wished that she could as her father right in the time; ‘Between legacy and his own daughter, which one that matters to him the most?’ But of course, she won’t do that. Well, at least not right now.


    “You said that you’ll be a daughter that I could be proud of but then why would you make such kind of decision, like this? I’m so disappointed.” He continued. Bomi remained silent, not even dare to utter a word. For some reason, she felt guilty. Yes, she always promised her father that she would be his best child as the youngest among three of them — but in this matter she just couldn’t tolerate it.


    “How could you call yourself a Yoon then? The Yoons never break the rule. You should know that,” That’s it. Bomi was totally crushed. Her father needs to realize that she needs her own way to live her life too. She’s still a human and sane.


    “Dad, I’m sorry — but this is just too much. I can’t do this. Look, can we just don’t talk about this? How can you just ignore your own daughter’s feelings because of those damn stupid legacy like seriously I’m a human too!” She’s totally losing it. Her anger towards her dad just exploded. Mr. Yoon’s looked at his daughter with a very very devastating look. His chest went up and down as he heard her words.


    “Yoon Bomi don’t you dare to speak like that!” Mr. Yoon expressed his anger. Bomi clenched her teeth, probably controlling her own anger towards her dad. Her eyes were shifted on him. The person that she really loved after her mom. The person that who she really wished that he could understand her for once.


    “I’m saying it again — I’m not going to marry anyone. Don’t force me dad, because I won’t.” With that, she turned her heels around leaving her father’s working table and walked through the exit door of his office. Bomi could hear her father’s faint voice, calling for her name yet for some reason she just wanted to ignore it. She didn’t want to pick a fight with him anymore.


    “Bam!”


    The sound of thumping made her to stop her steps. Her hand already holding the door knob as she slowly spun her body around — only to find her father unconciously lying on the floor with both of his eyes closed.


    “Dad!”

 


Emergency Department, Seoul National Hospital;

 

    “Dr. Do, we’re having an unconcious patient that just arrived to our department. The patient needs a fast treatment. Minor heart attack.” Kyungsoo raced to the emergency room after saying his thanks to the nurse that was in-charge at the Emergency Department. Fortunately that he just finished his break and now he’s going back to work. Thank goodness, at least he didn’t miss his meal for today.


    Kyungsoo almost couldn’t believe his eyes as he bolted into the emergency room which caused him to froze in his place for a while. His eyes examined the male patient lying on the hospital’s bed, being surrounded by various of machines and wires on his body. “Mr. Yoon?” He muttered under his breath, almost couldn’t believing what’s happening right now. As far as he knew, Mr. Yoon is such a healthy man and he seems super fine — he didn’t seem like someone that would suffer from a heart attck disease.


    “Dr. Do! The patient’s pulse is quite unstable,” The medical officers words snapped him from his thought and brought him back to reality. He raced to the side of the hospital’s bed and examined the reading of Mr. Yoon’s pulse. Usually, heart attck would occur when the patient weas depressed or shocked — which also made Kyungsoo felt curious about what caused Mr. Yoon to end up like this. Kyungsoo instructed the med officers, to help him proceeding the process of maintaining the patient’s pulse into normal. And he did it. God, thank goodness — he’s lucky that it’s just a minor attack.


    “He needs to be warded for few days I guess. Thanks for all of your hardwork,” Kyungsoo said, bowing too all of the people that were included in helping him for the treatment. A sigh of relief escaped his lips as he took a glance of the unconcious Mr. Yoon again, before walked out from the emergency room.
    Once again, he’s surprised to find a crying Yoon Bomi outside of the room. She’s alone, her eyes brimmed in tears. Well, she looks quite ridiculous to cry in her corporate suit but then nah, he probably understand her current situation.


    “Hey,” He greeted her, causing the lady to look up. Kyungsoo didn’t know whether he should laugh or keep silent because the woman’s make up was totally ruined and her face looked quite terrible.


    “How’s my dad’s condition?” The question escaped her lips as their eyes met. Kyungsoo shrugged off before making himself to take a seat beside Bomi. “He’s okay, I guess. But I think he’ll be warded for few days. Don’t worry, it’s just a minor attack.” He replied, hoping that his answer would comfort her in the same time. But he’s totally wrong. Her tears were falling faster than before. It clenched his heart to see the other side of Yoon Bomi that he never saw before. She looks so fragile and helpless which for some reason it makes him to pity her.


    “Damn, I’m so stupid. I shouldn’t do that to him — what a disgraceful child I am. I’m such a jerk. How can I didn’t even know that he’s sick? I’m so stupid.” Bomi kept mumbling while sobbing. Kyungsoo tore his eyes off from her, not wanting to see her crying anymore. She needs a little space, he guessed. He played with his fingers for while, thinking about what should he do to comfort the lady beside him. Like seriously, he’s really terrible in comforting but as a doctor he should do that.


    “Hey, look. Don’t blame yourself, okay? It just happened. The attack could come at anytime — it’s just maybe that..” Kyungsoo paused his words as he felt his shoulder became heavier. He clasped his lips nervously as he found Bomi leaned her head against his shoulder.It’s weird. He felt weird and he didn’t know how to react whether he should continue his words or just shut his mouth up. After for a while, he think that it would be better to stay silent. She needs time to comfort herself and he’s hoping that by borrowing his shoulder would be a help to her.


    “Kyungsoo?” Her hoarse voice entered his ears.


    “Hmm?”


    “Can you consider my decision again?”


    “What decision?”


    “Let’s get married.”


    He let out a deep breath, preparing his mental and mind. It’s the biggest decision to be made, and this time it would be the real one, he guessed. He cleared his throat before saying, “Okay.” As he said that, he could feel his shoulder became lighter — he gasped as Bomi pulled him into her arms, sobbing like crazy but in the same time she’s expressing how grateful she was for him. Kyungsoo could feel that his white coat was totally drenched with her tears right now. “Thank you, thank you so much. Thank you for not letting me to disappoint my dad again.” Kyungsoo froze on his spot, his mind couldn’t think. Half of him is still unsure but his heart saying him to do so.


    “Oh, heart. I trust you on this one.” Yes, he knew that he just agreed to marry her. Maybe he’s still unsure with what would happen between them but his heart was saying that it’s worth to give it a try. It’s for the sake of their parents’ happiness and perhaps — it would be theirs too. He knew that both of them barely knew each other well but for some reason he’s willing to do it.


    “We’re in this together. Let’s do this, okay? I promise that everything will be going fine.” He didn’t know why he said that but his last words gained a little nod from Bomi. Wow, it’s really happening. The thing that he could never imagine of would happen soon. He’s going to marry Yoon Bomi, for real? Let’s just hope that they could survive with each other and learn how to tolerate with each other well.

 

 

    “Woman, are you freaking serious?”


    “Yes. I’m dead serious.”


    “No you’re not.”


    “I’m really serious, Dr. Son.”


    The younger stared at her unbelievably, of course she didn’t think that the elder would give in so easily in this matter. Naeun drew a few wrinkles on her forehead before speaking again, “But I thought you didn’t want it. Both of you didn’t know each other that well — how is that possible?”


    Bomi shrugged off while releasing a heavy sigh. “I have no other choice. It’s about my dad’s health condition. If marrying him would make my dad felt better then, I really don’t have any choice. As much as I want to avoid this marriage to happen, dad’s health is more important.”


    Naeun let out a sigh, she probably understood Bomi’s situation right now. It’s unfair to her but maybe she’s right. It’s the right thing to be done. Family would always be the first priority in this matter. But really, Naeun was totally amazed by the elder. It’s not an easy decision to be done yet Bomi still did it. She’s proud of her friend.


    “Does Chorong-unnie already knew about this?” The question just came up into her mind and Naeun spoke it up to Bomi. She thought that she would get her answer but instead she got a little smack on her head. Well, at least it didn’t hurt much.


    “Ow! Like seriously, what’s that for?” She whined while rubbing her scalp softly. Duh, luckily her juniors weren’t there to watch that kind of scene. She would be embarrassed as hell then. Bomi drew a wicked smile on her lips, “Next time, you better hear me right Dr. Son. Oh and that’s for telling Chorong about this matter.”

Naeun pouted, she should’ve known that Bomi already warned her to keep the arranged marriage matter as a secret from Chorong — well but then yes, it just slipped off from when she spoke to Chorong on the phone last week. She didn’t have any choice then because Chorong would demand her.


    “Right, I’m sorry for that. But still, she should have known it right?”


    “Silly, at least I should talk to her by myself. You know that she could easily misundestand the whole situation,”


    “Okay, I’m sorry. I promise that I won’t tell her this time. It’s true, better for you to tell her by yourself. Anyway, she’s being so cheesy lately. I wonder if she’s having a slight crash on her head or hit. Ican’t handle it, duh.” Naeun said leaning her back forward.


    “It’s a husband-wife thingy. Bachelors like us would never understand it,” Bomi said, sipping up her coffee. The young doctor let out a light chuckle, “Uh-oh.

Correction, I’m the only bachelor here while you’re going to end your bachelor days soon,” Naeun’s words almost made Bomi to choke on her coffee — dude, that’s totally not funny.


    “Watch your words, Dr. Son.”


    “Okay, fine. Man, I should find a man for myself too. Don’t you think so unnie?” Bomi rolled her eyes annoyingly. It sounded ridiculous to her since Naeun is only 23 and she’s still have so many things to be learnt.


    “Just focus on your career, alright?”


    “Geez, I’m just kidding. Of course, my career is my first priority.” Both of them shared their laugh together. After for few minutes, Bomi finally excused herself as she need to be back to the office. Sighs, there’s so many works to be done and she had to attend few meetings tomorrow. Her schedule becoming quite tight since her father was on leave, and she only had her break on lunch.


    When she walked towards her car, her phone vibrated which made she paused her steps for awhile and check her phone out. It’s a message — from Kyungsoo.

 

From: Do Kyungsoo

Hey, mom told me to invite you to our family dinner this weekend.
Perhaps, are you free? If not, it’s okay. She would understand.
It’s just that.. She wants to discuss about the marriage.
Hope that you’ll be fine with it.

 

Bomi smiled as she read the message. Suddenly, a slight of embarrassment came into herself when she remembered the moment when she met the guy at the hospital during her father was submitted there. She’s being so panic that time to even realize that she’s leaning against his shoulder, mumbling such inappropiate words towards herself for being the cause of her father’s heart attack to come. Yes, she felt so guilty that time and there’s no once except him — maybe because that time she really needs someone to rely on. The worst thing was the moment she pulled him into her arms while sobbing so uglily. Until now, she’s still embarrassed with that which made her to avoid meeting with him whenever she went to the hospital to visit her father. She’s embarrassed like crazy. God, she didn’t even know why did she do that. And she didn’t expect that he would even made the first move to finally broke the awkwardness between both of them. Without any doubt, she started typing a message as a reply.

 

To: Do Kyungsoo

Yes, I would be free during the weekend I think.
Sure, I’ll come to the dinner and don’t worry I’m fine with it.
By the way, thanks for telling me. See you this weekend.

 

    The send button was pressed by her thumb, Bomi let out a relieved sigh before she continue her walk again. Everything seems like a dream to her — she didn’t know which kind of dream whether it’s a nightmare or the happy one. The only thing that she coud do right now is stay being positive. Yeah, maybe Chorong was right. Do Kyungsoo would be a nice guy for her — maybe it’s too early for her to think like that but she already acknowdged him since their high school days. He didn’t seem bad. Only the thing that bothered her was he kept making her losing to him. Nah, past will always stay as past. It’s already the time for her to look forward for the future.

 

 

 

    “You’re early,” He greeted her as she let herself out from her car, her eyes wandered around the beautiful compound of Kyungsoo’s family mansion. It’s nothing different from her family’s house, the Bomi’s residence. Everything looks beautiful and flawless. It’s her first time here, and she realized that she likes it. Maybe way more better than her family’s residence. “Ah, sorry. I was distracted.” Bomi said as she realized that she’ve been ignoring Kyungsoo who’s still standing beside her in his casual clothes, not in his white coat or doctor uniform like she always saw at the hospital. Bomi too, she’s wearing a floral dress instead of her expensive office clothes — well, still expensive though.


    “No, don’t really mind it though. I’m glad that you liked the scenery,” Kyungsoo said, joining her to enjoy the scenery around his home. It’s really nice to be home — he’ve been living separately for already about one year and half. Well, he needs to get out since his schedule is quite hectic and by the way his current apartment is located near the hospital. It wouldn’t take a long time then for him to rush there.


    “Oh, Bomi my darling! Finally you came, I’ve been wanting to have you here for already a long time. It feels like my dream just came true!” Mrs. Do suddenly interrupted as she came out to check on both od them. Bomi didn’t flinch when Kyungsoo’s mom threw a hug on her — well, actually she’s quite comfortable since Kyungsoo’s mom is such a friendly woman and someone who seems easy to be talked to. Bomi likes those kind of persons — the friendly ones. It’s weird because Kyungsoo himself didn’t seem as friendly as his mom does, maybe that part of genes didn’t included in him.


    “I’m sorry if I’m late, Mrs. Do. Thanks for inviting. Your place is so nice.” Bomi replied in a friendly tone.


    “Aw, look at you! You should start calling me mom. Mrs. Do sounds awkward to me,” She said while linking her arms to Bomi. Mrs. Do definitely looks so happy, and Bomi didn’t know how to respond to her words earlier. Mom? For real?


    Bomi shifted her gaze towards Kyungsoo. An awkward expression was plastered on his face, well she could see it — his right hand was massaging the bridge of his nose, and his eyes were blinking awkwardly through his glasses. Probably Kyungsoo felt the same as her; Awkward.


    It didn’t take a long time for Kyungsoo’s mom to drag both of them to the dining room, where all of the food for dinner already filled the huge table. And seems like it’s going to be only three of them. Well, that’s not totally a family dinner. It’s more like a dinner between future mother-in-law and his son — along with her future daughter-in-law.


    The dinner went smoothly, and Bomi talked alot with Mrs. Do. Seems like the older woman really knows how to make the others comfortable around her. Bomi really needs to admit it. With Kyungsoo’s mom sitting at the centre and Bomi on the right while Kyungsoo on the left, the dinner mostly filled with girls’ talks. Kyungsoo only remained silent as he paid no attention on what both of them were discussing — well not until his mom finally mentioned the thing about their ‘marriage’. It’s quite funny because both of them ended up choking on their on food, Kyungsoo’s ears turned into red while Bomi’s cheeks were red because of the sudden flush.It’s awkward to finally have a disussion regarding this matter — it’s truly real.


    “So, have you guys already have each other’s opinion regarding the theme?” Mrs. Do suddenly questioned both of them yet neither of them answered. It’s obvious that both of them didn’t really have that kind of discussion yet between themselves, causing Mrs. Do to palm her face with a michevious smile which both of them couldn’t really read.


    “Guess that both of you were to busy with each other’s works eh? It’s okay, there’s still alot of time.” Mrs. Do said, sounding super-positive minded. Bomi threw a glance at Kyungsoo who’s looking quite interrupted by the sudden question earlier. And Bomi could sense that he’s actually nervous. Tch, nervous Do Kyungsoo. Well that at least looks interesting to her.


    “We’ll be going to discuss it later, I think.” Bomi replied, her tone was quite awkward but it’s enough to make Mrs. Do smiling non-stoppedly. “That’s nice of you, Bomi darling. Kyungsoo you should give some good ideas too, okay?” Mrs. Do said, turning to her son. Kyungsoo nodded slightly but looking like as if he forced himself. “Yes, mom. I will.” It took forever for him to at least mutter a word. Bomi didn’t really understand him for that.


    “It’s okay. Any theme doesn’t matter to me as long as it’s simple. I guess.” She blurted out, and Mrs. Do started suggesting few wedding themes like garden, fairytales and blah blah which Bomi only managed to nod her head and chukled awkwardly. It’s totally not a good idea.


Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes towards her, looking like as if she’s doing something wrong. But then Bomi didn’t really care much. At least she already put an effort for herself to play a good character of future daughter-in-law in front of Kyungsoo’s mother. Not like Kyungsoo who’s mostly remained silent throughout the dinner. The dinner ended at 8 and Bomi finally going home. Phew, what a long night she guessed. Mrs. Do pulled her into a hug before assigning Kyungsoo to sent her outside. Bomi really against it then but since Kyungsoo didn’t mind so yeah, both of them ended up staring at each other when Bomi rested her back against her sedan.


    “So, I guess.. Thanks for tonight?” Bomi said, breaking the silence between both of them. Kyungsoo heaved a sigh, some guilty feeling were filled in his eyes which Bomi couldn’t tell why. Kyungsoo brushed his sleeves against his glasses, perhaps there’s some fog on it since the temperature is quite cold.


    “Sorry for being awkward. I’ll do better next time.” It’s amusing to see Do Kyungsoo apologizing, almost sounding sincere. Bomi shook her head, she didn’t really mind about it. In fact, it’s better to stay awkward because she’s not ready yet to actually become close with — Kyungsoo. Not for now.


    “Don’t be. Just act like we always did. You know, I’m comfortable with that.” She reassured him. Kyungsoo drew a thin smile, which also seems comforting to Bomi sometimes. He’s just nice too — sometimes.


    “Right.” Bomi exhaled. “I shall go home now. Thanks for the dinner, I really enjoyed it.” She straightened her back as her hand reached for the hold of the car’s door. But then she ended up gasping so hard as she was pulled into Kyungsoo’s arm, her face bumped upon his tight chest. Bomi froze in her spot, not knowing what to do — everything seems blank to her and somehow it brought her to the moment when she went to the hospital and Kyungsoo was comforting her.


    “Mom told me to at least give you a hug before you left. Sorry for acting so suddenly.” He said as he pulled away. Finally Bomi could breathe, her chest almost explode by the sudden action of Kyungsoo. She really didn’t expect that.


    “Ahem.” Bomi faked a cough before opening the driver’s seat door, she didn’t stare at Kyungsoo since her face was totally red because of the earlier event oh damn he should at least warned her first. “Guess that I should be going now. Um, yeah. Good night then.” That would probably her last words which she said without even looking at Kyungsoo as she quickly put herself at ease in the driver’s seat. She breathed heavily, the need of calming herself is really important right now — or else she might ended up stepping on the gear without limit. After for few moments, Bomi finally manage to calm herself and she bid her goodbye through the car’s window, only to find a smiling Do Kyungsoo — ouch, that heart-shaped lips just made her blush like crazy. Her car started to leave the Do’s mansion and Bomi finally could breathe freely as ever. Damn, Do Kyungsoo. And yes, at the end — Bomi found herself muttering all curse words to Kyungsoo as she drove to her home. just couldn’t stop rambling and muttering those inappropiate words like ‘’, ‘’ and so on to express her sudden attraction towards — Do Kyungsoo. Which she also hates, obviously.